Chapter 6

Bloodline

Feeling tears start to prick his eyes, Jonghyun couldn’t listen to any more, and just dashed outside. Covering his face, he just sobbed as though his heart would break. After all, it had just been broken into pieces by the very people he loved as his family. When Jinki sat by him and slipped his arm around him, Jonghyun couldn’t believe that the person he considered an enemy, was actually embracing him. All this while, all he had known was hatred, but this small gesture made him feel warm inside. Just the feeling of companionship with someone who didn’t want to use him, made him feel things he hadn’t felt in years. Was this what it meant to be truly happy? Why was Jinki being so nice to him? Was it pity? All this while, he had done the bidding of someone else, without thinking by himself.

“Jinki, why are you doing this?”

“You’ve been brought up only to hate. I promise to show you that there is so much more”

As Jinki held Jonghyun in his arms and his hair, he felt him become calmer. He was beginning to see the other side of Jonghyun. The side that those evildoers had tried to bury. There as so much that he had to show the person in front of him, who had been bred to hate.

“You know, Jonghyun, initially I wanted you to join my coven, but now I realize that it is not the priority anymore. I need to show you how different the real world is, from the world you grew up in. Don’t focus on these people anymore, let’s go”

“Wouldn’t they come for me?”

“We’ll take care of it, okay? Trust me”

Wiping his b eyes, Jonghyun opened up his heart for the first time and brought down all of his walls. Someone who was able to see into his mind, and still chose to be by his side, should never be let go. Using their combined magic to teleport, they ended up in the middle of a fairground.

“Jinki, where are we?”

“Let’s spend some time looking at life through the eyes of children. I know that I can never give you the childhood you lost, but I can try to help”

He knew this place, the colours and smells were s familiar to him. Looking around, he saw tons of brightly coloured balloons, and children holding great big globs of sweet-smelling, pink candy floss. Instantly transported back to his childhood, he grabbed Jinki’s hand, with a huge grin on his face.

“Can we go on the Ferris wheel?”

Although Jinki felt happy to see Jonghyun like this, it pained him to think of how lonely the child would have been. Forcing a smile on his face, Jinki followed his companion to the promised land.

As the ride started to move, all the people they’d seen, seemed like ants. Why couldn’t they look at their problems like that? For now, he could see the dazzling smile on Jonghyun’s face, and that was more than enough for him. His plan for the day was to give his new friend, the childhood he had lost. If Jonghyun was handsome normally, when he smiled, he looked like a prince. They laughed and played like children, and soon felt their troubles melt away. Being by each other’s side was definitely beginning to evoke some feelings, and they couldn’t help but interlock their fingers as they rode attraction after attraction. When they entered the haunted house, the sudden thrill they experienced was enough for them to cling together as ghouls popped out from their hiding places. They felt a certain kind of shock, as they hugged each other, but a pleasant one.

Jonghyun didn’t know why he was suddenly feeling so happy, but this was something he could certainly get used to. Perhaps it was finally time to start listening to his own emotions. He would forever be grateful to Jinki for showing him how happy life could actually be, but for now, there was something he wanted to do.

Finally. Jinki smiled to himself as he read the thoughts in Jonghyun’s mind and took it upon himself to make them reality. Sliding his arm around Jonghyun’s waist, Jinki dipped his head and kissed him. Although brief, the kiss was soft and sweet. The stars in Jonghyun’s eyes seemed to shine brighter than ever. The first step had been completed, and it was upto the two of them to see where their life would take them. It had been a very long time since Jonghyun had been shown genuine affection, and now, this was something Jinki would do each moment of every day. However, there was one question he needed to ask,

“So Jonghyun, would you like to join my coven?”