Chapter 3

Bloodline

“You want to find out how Jonghyun knows this type of magic since it is considered forbidden”

As always, amazed that the leader knew this, Jinki simply nodded.

“You need to know about his family, first. I’m afraid that this will bring a bad memory for you, but do you remember the time before your parents joined the coven? The witch trials were going on, and we all had to go into hiding. The person from your nightmares, the one that was burned on the stake before your eyes. That’s Jonghyun’s father”

It was no wonder that Jonghyun shared the same fear as him, as he had seen his own father being accused of witchcraft and punished for it. For a moment, Jinki felt his resolve soften when he put himself into Jonghyun’s shoes. Since he seemed to be against humans by stealing all of their things for his own benefit, it was definitely wrong. However, Jinki really did understand why Jonghyun was doing all that he did, but there was so much more than he needed to know.

“Sire, how did he end up like this? Where did he go after the trial?”

“He was raised by a single parent, and when he lost his father, our coven was ready to take him in. We were a bit too late, as he had been taken in by some of the most powerful sorcerers of that time”

“So they taught him all that he knows?”

“They were skilled in blood spells, and have definitely taught him well”

“Why does he use his magic for evil? So far, all I’ve seen is him stealing from the mortals”

“He despises the humans, and blames their backward beliefs and superstitions for him losing his family and the life he’d known”

“If they find out that we live amongst them, I’m sure there would be a lot more of us getting killed”

“Find him, and show him why he is wrong. Show him that there are humans who are good and kind, and that we can coexist and live together in harmony”

After living in hiding for most of his formative years, Jinki had slowly gotten used to living life as a human. Although it hadn’t been easy for him to convince the humans that he was one of them, his cover as a merchant trading spices and wine had provided him with a nice brick house with glass windows. His life had also taken a drastic turn, but Jinki didn’t hold any grudges. Knowing that there was nothing he could do to change the minds of those around him, he was forced to find Jonghyun.

Meanwhile, Jonghyun was busy splashing cold water on his face, as he replayed what had happened, in his mind. All this while, he had taken care in covering his tracks, so how had he been found so easily? Had he grown cocky and made a mistake? The man he had just seen, even knew his name, which had honestly shocked him. Was he a seer? It was safe to say that the mysterious ‘visitor’ had powers. The main thing he had to do was to find out who the visitor was, and whether he could lure him onto his side, against the humans. Someone who was powerful enough to find him, would surely make a spectacular ally, but he first had to report this to his superiors. Though he wasn’t exactly in a coven, there was a kind of group for those like him, and he thrived there. Being the youngest, he was given all the freedom he wanted, but his only aim was to make the human race pay for their sins.

Where the humans preferred to drive, Jonghyun found that teleportation was the easiest way for him to travel. With just one drop of blood and a crystal, there was nothing he couldn’t do. Filled with self-confidence, he chanted the necessary spell and soon found himself at his destination. Passing by the beautiful stained glass windows as he walked to the basement, he smiled at the ignorance of mankind. His ‘so-called’ coven existed in the basement of one of their churches and for all these years, no one had ever found out, even if they made any noise. It was almost ironic for the elders to choose this particular spot, as it was a haven for the humans. The basement looked like a dungeon, so it was obvious that none except those intended would ever cross the threshold. Blinking quickly so that his eyes would get adjusted to the darkness, Jonghyun rushed to the middle of the area, where the two sorcerers who brought him up waited for him. It was them who had saved him from a life of mediocrity and had taught him everything he knew. In their blood-red robes that matched the backdrop, they posed formidable figures. To the outside world, they didn’t exist but they had been sustaining themselves for all these years solely with the power of their craft. If they couldn’t use their own lifeblood, Jonghyun would provide his own for their spells. After all, he did owe them his life. The dream he was meant to fulfil was to bring all the witches and sorcerers together and take their rightful place in ruling over the mortals. It was about time the pitiful humans knew exactly who held the most power amongst them all.

“Why do you look so strange today, boy?”

“I think I’ve found someone powerful enough to join us”

“There aren’t so many sorcerers like us here, who did you find?”

“Honestly, he found me, which is why I think he will be perfect”

Exchanging a look, his guardians picked up a huge book of ancient spells and took a dusty crystal ball from behind their table. After dusting the cobwebs from the book, the elder of the two sorcerers placed the crystal ball on the wooden table. Placing both hands at the side of the ball, he gestured to his partner to start casting the necessary spell.

“Jonghyun, I need you to visualise the face of the person you met. I understand that he didn’t introduce himself to you. As you picture his face, please let one drop of your blood touch the surface of the crystal”

As the dark red smoke swirled around inside the ball, Jonghyun stared intently as the man’s face began to materialise.

“Who is he?”

The smoke turned into the letters JINKI. So, that was his name.

“Show me his origins”

The smoke morphed into an image of a dark-haired child playing with his parents. Judging by the gasp that escaped the lips of his guardians, it was obvious to him that they knew who he was. With shock reflected on their faces, they ended the spell before facing each other.

“Isn’t it funny that this boy is the one whom our Jonghyun met?”

“It feels like fate has been playing a game with our lives”