The Stars Align

The Prom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey, Jen! Wait up!"

Jennie was walking quickly across the freshly mown football field to her third-period English class. She turned to see Kim Jongin, in his football jersey, carrying a helmet. She kept going.

"You weren't at our practice on Sunday." He noted, sidling up next to her.

"You expected me to watch?" Jennie looked at him out of the corner of her eye. His sweaty face looked flushed.

"Isn't that what you cheerleaders do?" He shrugged. "I had three touchdowns."

"Good for you." Jennie deadpanned. Was she supposed to be impressed?

Jongin was one of those guys who had a very simplistic view of the word. Football players are school royalty and naturally, everyone admired them. Especially the cheerleaders. It's like those corny teenage movies, the cheerleader always ends up with the quarterback.

Except Jennie wasn't going to play the role of that cheerleader, no matter how badly Jongin wanted her to.

She continued walking towards the school, scanning her surroundings for a familiar face - someone to get her out of this stale conversation with Jongin.

"So have you changed your mind about prom yet?" He asked, still trying to keep up with her, even thought they have already left the football field.

Jennie rolled her eyes.

"No, Jongin, I haven't changed my mind and I'm not going to." She replied coldly.

This was the third time he asked her to go to prom with him, not taking no for an answer. The first time he asked her was after they'd won their first football game of the season. He delivered the proposal in a cool, casual manner, small smirk on his face and sweat dripping from his messy hair. It irked Jennie. The way he acted like no girl would ever reject him so he didn't even have to try that hard. Not like a grand promposal was going to change anything though, she would've still politely declined the way she did. But after he asked her for the second time, Jennie's answers were becoming not so polite.

"You know we'd be crowned prom king and queen, right?" Jongin asked her as they entered the school. People were shooting them bemused glances, and Jennie could guess why. Jongin looked out of place, in between rows of metal lockers and posters and framed photos, walking in his cleats and shoulder pads still on. Jennie wanted him to go away, feeling slightly embarassed even though everyone probably admired him for being cool enough to walk into the school in his football kit.

"God, you are such a cliché." Jennie said and Jongin smiled at her, unfazed.

"You're going to change your mind eventually." He said.

"Can you find some other girl to bother?" Jennie asked, craning her neck towards the other end of the hallway, trying to spot one of her friends.

Instead, she noticed Chanyeol, one of Jongin's teammates, and his girlfriend Chaeyoung as they swept by her. Jennie became more aware of the classical music that was softly humming from the school speakers - their school played between-classes music because it was "mentally-stimulating". The music fit the scene, euphoric and dramatic, as if it was played solely to accompany Park Chaeyoung when she was pacing down the school hallways. Sometimes Jennie couldn't stand her. People simply shouldn't be that pretty. Chaeyoung has these Disney eyes and rosy, parted lips and long, blonde hair. And the way she carries herself is so elegant and entrancing. Yup, Jennie couldn't stand her sometimes.

And other times, she's trying to suppress the raging, huge crush she has on her.

Jennie was quite successful at it too. Passing Chaeyoung in hallways and sitting behind her in History class and barely acknowledging her existence. Although sometimes, during a particularly tedious History lesson, she would catch herself staring at Chaeyoung's backside. Studying the back of her head, the way she moves, and then shyly look away when she notices Chaeyoung's shirt has risen way above her jeans. But she makes up for these short-lived moments of weakness by acting indifferent towards Chaeyoung most of the time. Like just now, when they passed each other in the hallway, both with a football player by their side. Their eyes locked and Chaeyoung gave her a smile, to which Jennie nodded in her direction, barely even smiling.

"Earth to Jennie." Jongin's voice snapped Jennie out of a temporary trance she fell into. They were in front of her locker.

"Anyway, I just said that you're the only girl for me." He repeated his cheesy line that Jennie would rather unhear. In retrospect, she set herself up for that one.

Jennie made a fake gagging noise, then looked up in time to see Jisoo charging towards them. She let out a sigh of relief.

Her best friend, Jisoo, leaned against the locker next to the one that belonged to Jennie.

"Let me guess. You're asking her to go to prom with you again?" Jisoo asked, smiling mischievously.

"Bingo." Jongin laughed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Fourth time's a charm?" Jisoo offered, but the icy glare Jennie shot her wiped the goofy smile off her face.

"Now if you'll excuse us." Jennie turned her attention towards Jongin. "Jisoo and I have to talk about, uh... Girl stuff."

He passed his helmet from his left hand into the right one.

"I'm an expert when it comes to girl stuff."

Jisoo and Jennie exchanged looks, then both rolled their eyes simultaneously. They managed to shoo Jongin away after that, thanks to Jisoo's heroic efforts. It only took for her to say that  the girl stuff involves period cramps and heavy flows talk for Jongin to awkwardly withdraw back to his natural habitat - the football field.

"That was too easy." Jisoo grinned. "I didn't even get into the disgusting parts."

Jennie elbowed her, then laughed.

She often admired this side of Jisoo. The way she could talk about her period so easily in front of the school's quarterback, without stuttering or getting shy.

"So." Jisoo said pointedly. "You're still rejecting all prom proposals? Wait!" She cupped with her hand. "Don't tell me you're not going?"

Jennie tossed her backpack into her locker and pulled out her books for English.

"Of course I'm going, Jisoo." She reassured her friend. "But honestly, everyone's making such a big

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter