October 25, 2019

I'll be Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***

“Hello, Aunty.” You bow, politely greeting the woman that is sitting on the waiting lounge of that Physical Therapy Clinic or Rehab center. 

“Oh, Y/n –ah you’re here!” Song Mingi’s mother greets you back with a smile and her warm motherly voice. She taps the sit beside her. “Come! Have a sit.” 

Smiling back, you take the vacant space beside her and your smile widens when Mrs. Song brings you to hug that melt your heart like her son does to you.

Yes, you have met Mingi’s parents a long time ago; first, as Mingi’s friend and later on just this year, his girlfriend. It actually surprised you how they welcomed you as Mingi’s girlfriend with much enthusiasm as if they’ve already seen it coming. It puzzled you at first but later on, Mingi’s father mindlessly revealed during a family dinner where you were invited, that ever since Mingi had let them known of your existence, your name has been popping here and there with his stories to his family. Therefore, you were never a stranger to them. That was one of those moments were you realized how you mattered so much to Mingi. A man who looked so intimidating and tough would actually be so tenderhearted and genuine about the things and people that he loves and really knows how to take good of them… of you. So you really try your best to give your best support whenever he needed it. Having an idol boyfriend is tough but you have so much faith in Mingi and what you both have that controversial things do not matter.

Well… They do. But as long as you both are low-key about everything like what you have been doing ever since, then all is well.

“Did you just come from your work?” Mrs. Song asks you clasping your right hand lovingly and reaches a hand to brush a loosen hair from your face that is partially hidden from your cap. You tend to wear one whenever you get to go out with Mingi in public. Your black face mask is currently folded in the pocket of your jeans that would be put to use later once your boyfriend finishes his session.

“Yes,  Aunty.” You answer her question and added, “Thank goodness my team finished the compliance and editings for the week, and we were allowed to go home much earlier.”

“I’m glad you’re doing great at your work.” With a thoughtful look, Mrs. Song continued, “I was actually worried when my son said you were quitting from their company. But I guess it worked well for both of your individual growth.” She looks at you peering into your eyes and adds. “I’m proud of you. Both of you.”

You almost tear up because you feel those words to your heart. Song Mingi’s mother treated you like her own daughter ever since but you still get surprise from how sweet his mother and other family members treatment towards you. You feel like you didn’t deserve it. Because let’s be real, having a girlfriend at an early stage of an idol career is a huge risk for their son to take. But Mingi’s family has been supportive of the dream he was pursuing and the choices he’s been taking, for as long as they see him happy. You admire that a lot of their family. You are lucky to have not just Mingi but his family’s support, too.

A bit overwhelmed from the emotions inside of you, you affectionately leaned your head towards Mrs. Song’s warm shoulder.  “Thank you, Aunty.” You meekly say, your insides calming from Mrs. Song’s scent. Sweet vanilla with a tinge of baby powder. It smells like home.

Mrs. Song chuckles light-heartedly and pats your head. “Aigoo… You know, if you’re wondering my son is still in session. He kept asking for you earlier, your uncle was forced to accompany him inside.”

You did not fight the giggle that came out of you with the image of Mingi being a complete big baby asking for somebody to go with him inside the therapy room with his vulnerable eyes and pouty lips. “Mingi can manage, Aunty. Uncle can handle him. How long have they been in there?”

Glancing at her watch, Mrs. Song answered. “I think they’re about to be finish shortly now. They said that my son’s recovery is doing well. He still gets pain episodes but at least they’re not like the one when they’ve brought him to the hospital.”

You squeez Mrs. Song’s hand reassuringly as the worry on her voice drips lightly. You cannot blame her. Mingi still had minor pain episodes after that day that he would need to just lie on the bed for hours with a hot/cold pack on his back. He goes to a physical therapist three times a week, cupping and dry needling once a week as well as continued ultra-sound check up. Mingi usually gets accompanied by his manager but since ATEEZ has been active with the comeback promotions, his parents are the ones coming along with him. Sometimes, you would come along if you’re free from work or during weekend.

“Mingi’s strong and determined, Aunty. I know he’ll get through this.” Lifting your head from the older woman’s shoulder, you look at her with a soft smile on your face. She smiles back, her eyes thankful whilst tapping your hand fondly. “I know. I trust that boy so much. He’s grown so well and I’m thankful he also has you to support him. I understand how my son’s work can be so exhausting and a good support system is really important for him to keep going. He’s been after his dream for so long; I know he won’t give up just like that.”

“Exactly, Aunty. I watched their live last night and I’ve never seen him glow like that this week.” You remember how excited Song Mingi was, knowing that he would be able to participate at their Anniversary ‘Moon River’ VLive event.  He immediately called you after he got the approval of his doctor and management. The pure elation in his voice was something that cheered you up for the remainder of that day. You are sure it also made his parents happy as you watch Mrs. Song with a proud twinkle in her eyes.

“I know. He told me earlier that their tour was already finalized and said that he’s determined to get well so that he can join when their tour starts.” Mrs. Song chuckles and added. “And he said that in his most earnest face that I’ve often seen him back when he was still in elementary and wanted to participate in a school event.”

You perfectly picture what Mrs. Song was saying that you let out a soft chuckle at the image of a young Mingi loudly announcing or maybe whining about what his whereabouts at school. Both of you women were smiling when the door beside Mrs. Song opens and an older man who looks almost identical to Mingi comes out followed by Mingi himself. Only that, Mingi is wearing an oversized black hoodie over his black cap covered head while his father is in his casual polo shirt. Mingi sees you and you watch him stop for a second, his mouth forming a pouty ‘O’ slightly taken aback before his face breaks into a smile finally realizing that you actually came. You welcome the flutters in your stomach when you saw that look on his face. Just knowing that your mere presence can put that pure happiness look on Mingi still fascinates you.

Actually, you kind of messed with him earlier saying that you’d be out late for work and won’t make it for his therapy and that you’ll catch up during dinner. ..or maybe not. It was a bit amusing to you how Mingi would get his mature side activated and be understanding with your whereabouts, even when the anticipation for your presence was evident on his voice. One might think that Mingi would whine about stuff like that but he is actually really easy to deal with when it comes to that part of your relationship. There are times when he would level up his convincing powers but he shuts it down if he knows its borderline annoying on your end.

You stand up to bow and greet Mingi’s father with a smile.  “Good afternoon, uncle.”

Mr. Song’s eyes crinkle at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter