Chapter 1

A Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Is Hyein ready for school!?" Nayeon shouted from the kitchen to her husband as she buttoned up her shirt with one hand, holding her lunch and coffee in the other. 

It was safe to say she was in a rush. Her new job awaited her today and she shouldn't give off a bad impression by being late, right? On top of that she was supposed to drop her daughter off at the kindergarten. 

"She will be in a minute!" Doyoung, her husband, shouted back as he struggled to make the perfect pigtails on his daughter's head. They just never seemed to be right. And his daughter never failed to make a big deal about it. Just like her mother. He smiled at that thought as he finally managed to make a decent hairstyle Hyein wouldn't cry about. 

The kid ran out of her room and through the hallway with Doyoung running after her with a little backpack. 

"Mommy!" She screamed unnecessary loud, hugging Nayeon's leg when she reached the end of the hallway. 

"Are you ready for school?" Nayeon asked after she recovered from the scream she just had to endure. 

The girl nodded her head vigorously while her dad put the backpack on her back. "Now she's ready." He said, smiling exhaustingly.

Nayeon smiled back at him and gave him a quick kiss of gratitude before running out of the apartment holding Hyein's hand in hers. 

...

"!" Nayeon exhaled and quickly covered , realizing she just said that in front of her daughter. 

Thankfully the girl was immersed in the phone Nayeon gave her so she wasn't really aware of her surroundings. She looked back to the front and a whole road packed with cars in front of her. Stuck in a traffic jam. Exactly what would happen to her on a day like this.

She huffed, leaning her head back against the seat. Was she seriously going to get fired before she even started the job? Well she was already late, there was no need in stressing about it. Except there was every need to stress about it. It was a very well payed job in a field Nayeon was pretty confident in. Losing it would mean going back to working in a grocery store. 

Nayeon shook her head. She couldn't let it happen. Stepping on the gas she steered to the right and over the sidewalk, after checking if there were any pedestrians of course. Pretty crazy to anyone else, but to her it seemed pretty reasonable in that moment. She just couldn't afford to lose a job on her first day. 

Taking the first turn she came upon she was in front of Hyein's school in no time. She mentally high fived herself as she kissed the girl's head before the kid left the car. 

She sighed happily, but really there was no reason for her to be this calm. She would still be late to her work. The clock read 9:07 which already made her 7 minutes late. 

After taking a moment for taking out her frustration through a huff she stepped on the gas again. And 8 minutes later she was in front of a small building. Nayeon was confused for a moment. For a company that offered a lot of money they sure looked, well, poor. There wasn't even a parking lot. She guessed people had to park down the street and walk back here. 

Deciding not to judge it so quickly she stepped out of the car and let herself in through a rather old and kind of creeky door. 

The inside of the building looked even smaller than the outside. First thing she saw was a staircase that led up to a floor not much different than the ground floor. There was also a door down the hall. Chatter could be heard from the inside and Nayeon decided to go for it. If it wasn't who she's supposed to meet at least she could get information about it. 

When she opened the door no one really noticed or payed attention anyway. She cleared and a few curious gazes drifted her way. The room had a table and people sitting around it. 

"Hello, I'm Nayeon." She introduced herself and when no one made an attempt of asking her what she was doing there she cleared again and continued. "I'm looking for Mina. For the manager job here?"

"Oh!" One of the girls came up to her and offered her a hand. "Hello I'm Dahyun. Mina is just upstairs, I'll take you to her."

The girl smiled kindly and Nayeon smiled back. She followed Dahyun up the stairs and into a halway of closed doors. They stopped right in front of the last one. 

Dahyun lightly knocked before carefully opening the door. "Hi, Miss Myoui. The new manager is here to see you."

"Oh right, yes, she is a little late but bring her in." The girl with a sweet velvety voice spoke. 

Dahyun moved out of the way and smiled at Nayeon before heading back. The girl Nayeon presumed was Mina shook her hand and introduced herself. 

When they finished introducing themselves Mina turned to the table that had two more people sitting at it. 

Nayeon visibly gasped. That same old blonde hairstyle. No one could rock it like her. It was one of the things she adored so much about her girlfriend at the time. 

And that's when the girl lifted her head and their eyes met. It was just like the first time and just like the last. They went through all the hurt and pain and the tears. Right in that moment. All over again. Neither dared to speak. Because they were both so speechless and both afraid of their voice giving up on them. 

Mina furrowed her eyebrows but started introducing them to each other. "This is Jeongyeon." She said. As if Nayeon didn't already know that so well. "She is the author of the book. You will be managing her schedules, meetings and many times be her representative."

Nayeon nodded but still stared Jeongyeon right in the eyes. She couldn't make sense of any of it. It felt like too much. got dry and tears threatened to come out. But she held herself composed. 

Jeongyeon gulped before standing up from her seat and approaching Nayeon. "I look forward to working with you." She said like it was nothing. Like the two didn't have so much history together. And on top of that she managed that million dollar smile that she knew was hiding something. Well after all they knew each other better than anyone would even think. 

"I do too." Nayeon smiled back and shook her hand. 

"The other girl sitting at the table is Tzuyu, Jeongyeon's girlfriend." Mina announced. "In case you were wondering."

The rather beautiful girl bowed a little before going back to whatever papers she was indulged in. 

"Well, I'll leave you alone now. I have some business downstairs." Mina her heel and headed for the door. "Oh and Nayeon, try not to be late in the future."

Nayeon blushed and Jeongyeon chuckled. She knew Nayeon was always late and will probably continue to be late. Tzuyu looked curiously towards her girlfriend but let it go. There was something strange in the energy around them. Or just around Jeongyeon and Nayeon, Tzuyu couldn't tell. 

"I'll leave you to it too. I'm sure you'll have a lot to discuss and I can really decide on which pictures to use for my portfolio somewhere else." The tall beauty announced before making her way across the small office. "Oh and it was nice meeting you." Tzuyu bowed a little again and left. 

Nayeon wanted to hate the girl so bad. Hate that she had the privilege of being Jeongyeon's girlfriend but... The girl never gave her any reason to. In fact she truly hated Jeongyeon for being so calm and collected. 

"Is she a model?" Nayeon asked after the girl left. There was no need for any unnecessary small talk or awkwardness. They knew each other pretty well. 

"Yeah, she's that pretty huh?" Jeongyeon smiled a little and nodded. 

"She is."

They stood in silence for a bit. Neither of them knowing why. Both guessed they never got to experience the initial shock. People around them never allowed. 

Nayeon wanted to envelope the girl in a hug so bad. She wanted to inhale the girl's scent and hold tight until it's carved in her brain. To let her know just how much she missed her all that time. It looked like Jeongyeon wanted the same but both knew this wasn't a place, or a time for that matter, for doing that. 

"So..." Jeongyeon cleared . "I guess Mina already told you what all of this is about but, I'll go over everything once again." She motioned for Nayeon to take a seat opposite from her and Nayeon did. 

The blonde removed a bunch of papers and a notebook from the table before looking at Nayeon. "Would you like anything to drink?"

Nayeon shook her head. Raised her hand that still held a coffee cup. The other nodded and began speaking. 

"So as you know, Jihyo and Mina have a publishing house founded only recently and I'm their first author. They had a chance of reading my book and they decided it was publishing worthy. You are going to be my manager which includes you managing my schedules, meetings, and often being my representative. It's not your usual job of a manager, in a way something more like an assistant but without actually assisting me in anything."

Nayeon nodded. Wasn't really sure what she would say anyway. 

"Before you begin with your actual work I would like you to read the book." She pulled out a copy under the desk and placed it in front of Nayeon. "If you're still willing to be my manager after I will be happy."

The older knew exac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter