The Banquet

King's Blood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER ONE | The Banquet

 

Rain was pouring heavily as the people of the kingdom gathered outside of the castle to pay their respects to their fallen king. The sky was gray and there was a thin mist floating through the air. A distant crackle of thunder did not cause a single person to budge. Their love for their king was too strong for even a hurricane to prevent them from mourning his passing

Besides for the raindrops, it was quiet.

Inside of the castle gathered the castle staff, the nobles, and all the king’s closest friends and family. As a monk gave his blessings, there were soft sobs and whimpers from the crowd. Such a great man had left them so suddenly.

They were all shocked to see him leave. His body was laying dressed up in a decorative marble coffin in a way that made him look quite peaceful.

Standing at the foot of the coffin was the prince, Jeongin. His large, fox-like eyes were void of tears as he stared at his father’s corpse. Many were surprised to see him looking so unfazed. His father had died, yet he shed no tears for him at all.

“What a heartless child!” The nobles had begun to talk amongst themselves but were quickly quieted once they realized that that same boy was going to be their new king. It was a terrifying thought to them.

Jeongin knew what they were saying behind his back. He didn’t care one bit. He was not someone who really cared for the judgment of other people. So, their words meant nothing to him.

As the monk finished Jeongin gestured to his attendant with his finger and the man leaned in to listen to him. “I want everyone out of here now.” He ordered and the man fought back a gasp and hesitantly nodded his head.

His attendant made his way to the monk’s side, bowed to him respectively, then brought everyone’s attention to him. ”I apologize, but I must ask everyone to leave now. The young master wishes to be alone with his father.”

The crowd was clearly upset, but again, Jeongin didn’t care. His eyes were glued on the man in the coffin. His expression was blank and disinterested.

It took a bit of prodding, but the crowd soon cleared the room leaving Jeongin there with his attendant and his uncle. The older man sighed and put his hand on his nephew’s shoulder, earning a disgusted sneer from the boy.

” It’s alright for you to cry Jeongin.” He told him.

Jeongin pushed his hand away and crossed his arms.

” Why should I cry for him?” He asked with a grin. The whole kingdom didn’t know his father like he did. If they knew what kind of man he really was, they would feel just as repulsed by him as he was. He really hated that man.

With a deep sigh, Jeongin passed by the coffin and sat comfortably on the empty throne. ”Please seal him up and burry him already.” He ordered with the flick of his wrist.

The staff gave him dirty looks and his uncle shook his head in disappointment. But again, no one knew the darker side of his father like he did. Good riddance.

 

◅♕♕♕▻

 

A year later, there was a loud commotion in the throne room that had everyone standing aside cowering and shaking their heads in disapproval. A man, a low life peasant in fact, was being held down by two soldiers as he struggled to get away from them.

”Give me a couple more days to pay! My son will be home soon with the money to pay the taxes, honestly! Just please have mercy!” The man begged and groveled on his knees.

Jeongin stared down at him from the throne and smiled at the man’s desperate cries. His dark, penetrating eyes inspected him as he spoke, and he cocked his head to the side.

”Execute him.” He said simply and then turned to inspect his polished black nails.

The man gasped in surprised and he began to shake with fear. ”No…NO PLEASE!” He cried and thrashed violently to get out of his shackles. “Please!!! I have children to take care of! YOU CAN’T DO THIS!” The man screamed, but Jeongin refused to give him anymore of his attention.

”They’ll be fine without you. Trust me.” He said nonchalantly and laid back in his throne. The man howled as he was dragged away and then the room went silent.

”Am I done for today?” Jeongin questioned his attendant, bored out of his mind.

”Um… that was the last one for today, but you still have a lot of work that needs to be done.” His attendant answered with a slight stutter.

Jeongin groaned and sat up, ”Is my uncle back yet?”

The attendant shook his head and pulled a piece of paper from the collection he had cradled in his arms. ”Not yet—“

“Great! Then I’m going to my room.” He announced, and leaned forward to stand, but his attendant timidly stepped in his way. Jeongin glared at him for doing so and the man bowed his head apologetically, unable to keep eye contact.

“Sorry, your highness, but um, you still have the people’s concerns to listen to, as well as your uncle’s victory banquet for tonight.” He informed him.

Jeongin yawned and stood up from the throne anyways. His attendant shrank back to avoid blocking his path. “I’ll pass on the concerns. I think I’ll go take a nap instead.” He decided and waited for his to be by his side before walking in the direction of his room.

”B-but sir….” his attendant trailed off, then gave up with a sigh as the young boy ignored him. He internally cursed his choice for wanting to work in the palace. He really couldn’t stand serving such an ungrateful little brat.

 

Jeongin sighed as he made his way through the halls of the castle. He passed by room after room, and walked corridor after corridor, wondering why the palace had to be so big?

He thought about having his carry him to his room, and the temptation grew with every painstaking step he took. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea?

”Hey.” He stopped and tugged on his ’s arm.

”Yes your highness?” He answered.

”Carry me the rest of the way.” He ordered and waited for the man to follow through.

His blinked twice then obediently bent down to let the young boy on his back. ”Yes my lord.” He nodded his head and carefully allowed him to crawl onto his back and hook his arms around his neck.

Content, Jeongin yawned and told him to continue with the walk.

As they arrived at his room, he was surprised to see the pale, brown haired soldier standing there at his door.

”Chan?” His head shot up and a sweet smile graced his usually dreadful face.

Without warning, he hopped off his ’s back and ran to give his friend a tight hug. ”You made it back alive! I’m impressed!” He chuckled jokingly.

Chan had braced himself for Jeongin’s hug and smiled a gummy smile. He really seemed to be the only person that the young boy could open up to.

”Of course I made it back alive. I’m the strongest soldier this kingdom has!” He boasted and pet Jeongin’s head lovingly.

“Wait.” The young king pulled away. “This means my uncle will be home soon, right?”

”Yes, your uncle will be arriving soon.” Chan confirmed, poking his finger on the young boy’s forehead with a dimply smile. “ I came back a little early to make sure you weren’t burning the castle down or something of the sort.” He joked. ”Why did you come to your room anyways? Don’t you have work that needs to be done?”

“I think the better question is, why did you come to my room?” The boy flipped the question on him. “Certainly you wanting to see me couldn’t have been the only reason? You’re too busy a man to do that, so tell me.”

“That is not entirely true.” Chan spoke as if he was offended. “I always take time to come visit you Jeongin, whether I’m busy or not, and you know that.” He poked him on the forehead twice this time.

“Stop doing that!” Jeongin irritably swatted his hand away. “Fine, you’re right. But that still doesn’t answer my question sir.”

“Ok, ok, you got me.” He raised his hands in defeat.

“Yes. I know. Now spill it.”

Chan smiled and searched his pockets while the king eyed him curiously. “I saw this in one of the towns I was stationed in. Thought it would suit your fancy.” He put his hand out and unraveled his fingers to reveal a beautiful sil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter