Broken Glass from Scars

Find my Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Little Taeyeon always wanted to be a cop. Her parents laughed it off then. They couldn’t laugh anymore when she wheeled her suitcase out of her childhood house and headed for the Police Academy. No one understood her dream but herself and maybe that was how it was going to be until she proved everyone wrong.

 

But Taeyeon wasn’t so little anymore—

 

“You’re still small Taeyeon, like really, really tiny,” her best friend royally interrupts. She decides to ignore her and cleared instead.

 

So anyways, as she was saying. The Taeyeon who everyone believed would not even survive one day at Police Academy—

 

“Oh please, I had to carry your tiny back to the dorms after the first day of drills.”

 

Another interruption by her one and only best friend whom she really wanted to strangle as of the moment.

 

“Not like you could but like, we should probably try it in bed next time,” she says while sending Taeyeon a knowing wink. It was one time, ONE TIME.

 

“KWON YURI SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND LET ME FINISH MY MONOLOGUE.”

 

Unfortunately for Kim Taeyeon, the universe wasn’t on her side. When was it ever?

 

“Ohh unnie are you retelling your cop story? Can I do it? Can I?” Her childhood friend, Yoona, suddenly bursts out from Yuri’s room all doe-eyed and bright smiles. Taeyeon could only groan in annoyance.

 

“You know what, it’s ruined anyway. Good ing morning to me.”

 

“It’s not like no one’s heard of the story by now anyway,” Yuri remarks from behind the kitchen island before turning to face the other girl approaching her. “Good morning, you,” she grins when Yoona inches closer and plants a kiss on her lips.

 

Taeyeon fake gags and produces the most realistic puking noises— she may or may not have felt real bile go up then. Who cares if she was supposed to be a twenty-three year old woman. She’s allowed to express her disdain of anything remotely disgusting in her own home. Even if said home was shared with her annoying roommate Yuri.

 

“Well someone’s turning as bitter as my coffee this morning.”

 

Taeyeon ignores the jab and turns her focus back on her breakfast. Her cereal was turning soggy. She scowls while fishing for crunchier ones until she decidedly drinks from the tip of the bowl. It was practically mush anyway.

 

“Don’t worry babe,” at that, Taeyeon raised her eyebrow at the endearment also observing Yoona doing the same but kept quiet, “she just hasn’t gotten laid in months.”

 

“Hmm… maybe we should invite her again soon,” Yoona suggests teasingly.

 

Taeyeon drops her spoon on the cereal bowl. “And I’m out,” she decidedly slips away and into her room, making sure to lock her door. Wouldn’t want any weirdoes to try and take advantage of her, black belt or not.

 

She instead eyes the pristinely ironed navy blue collared uniform on her bed proudly. Her hand glides through the embroidery with her name etched intricately on it. It was finally the day she’d been waiting for. Her first day on the job as Police Officer Kim Taeyeon.

 

 

It’s been a week on the job but Taeyeon and Yuri were already able to ticket five offenders (awesome). Okay maybe they had to acquiesce one of them because apparently an offense for illegally feeding ducks wasn’t written in the law. Also maybe for the fact that he was underage.

 

But that’s fine (it’s not), Taeyeon was finally doing the job she’s always wanted to do. She hoped that was enough to make everything matter again.

 

“Okay I’ll be honest,” Yuri slumps on a nearby park bench, leaving her patrol bike to crash on the ground noisily, “I thought this job would have more car chases and explosions.”

 

“I don’t know,” Taeyeon offers a shrug, “maybe we’re just having a slow week.”   

 

Yuri just gives her a look, seriously?

 

“We both know nothing ever happens in park duty Tae.”

 

Or they’ve been watching too much cop movies. Probably that.

 

“I mean…” Taeyeon struggles to find a silver lining, “these are pretty cool bikes….I guess?”

 

Her partner groans in frustration and slumps her head even further back. All Taeyeon could manage was an awkward pat on her best friend’s shoulder, sympathizing. If anything, she was just glad that of all people, Yuri was the other unfortunate soul assigned with her. It was like fate knew they couldn’t be separated.

 

Even so, park duty truly was the worst. From having to retrieve a frisbee to Yuri tossing said rescued plastic disc even further into the endless lake— Get your own ing frisbee.

 

Assisting the elderly here, trying to subdue a furious Yuri who was so close to pushing off the same kid who kept feeding the damn ducks (duck lives matter).

 

But as much as possible, the partners tried their best to make the most out of their days. Trying to learn new gun tricks here and there— Those are unloaded right? You’re supposed to unload them first Yuri-ah.

 

Until one fateful day when Yuri spots a gang of one-percenters smoking what they guessed was something illegal. Not just that, they found real ing drugs on them. Was this actually it? Were they finally going to bust a bunch of criminals? That would mean… no more park duty for these two badasses.

 

“I’m chasing someone! I’M FINALLY CHASING SOMEONE!” Yuri squeals into the thankfully not too populated recreational park as she races after her perp.

 

Taeyeon runs the opposite way trying to capture another one from the crew. She may or may not have needed to take a breather in between five hundred meters of running. Physical aspects were more of Yuri’s speed, Taeyeon on the other hand used her brain more.

 

She cuts through a shortcut, having been able to memorize every nook and cranny of the place in the whole week she was on duty. Maybe those soul searching walks helped her case after all.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter