First Date

Himawari

Months passed by. Chaeyoung spent his day at least two times a week at the coffee shop with the trio Japanese girl. He liked the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. Sometimes they and his two bestfriends including Jihyo unnie would go out together strolling through stalls and talked about random things, joked around and teased each other. They were a bunch of happy kids. And everyone in their group knew oh so well that Chaeyoung and Sana had crush on each other which earned enormous teasing from their group.

It was spring time when Chaeyoung got the courage to asked Sana out. Just the two of them. They walked along Han River, hand interlacing with each other. Enjoying the beautiful petals of cherry blossom. There was a lot of people. Parents taking their children playing outside, admiring the beautiful pink flowers, schoolmates playing pranks to each other, some family enjoyed their quality time picnic, or couples having their own time and world. Some not even bothered kissing in the public. Chaeyoung quickly turned his gaze away, he could feel his cheek burning. He took a glance toward Sana and that moment his heart kept thumping so hard he thought he was gonna lost his mind. He saw the blonde girl blushing. A tint of red hue made her much more charming.

The walked felt awkward afterwards with the two of them still in silent, hand still interlocking with each other. Chaeyoung would steal a glance or two every other minute possible. That plump lips. How his heart wanted to taste the cherry red lips. How he wanted to close their gap and gave the sweetest kiss to the girl saying the ‘love’ word. Say how much he loved the girl.

‘Love?’ he thought, stopping his step.

‘What are we?’ Sure he liked Sana so much. No, he loved her. She was everything to him. And the shiba inu seemed to like him back. They acted like a couple, linking arms, holding each other hands, sometimes feeding each other, laughing at each other's silly jokes. But the two never confirm their feelings to each other. Chaeyoung never knew how the Japanese girl felt towards him.

‘So, what are we? Friend? Bestfriend? Lover? Do you feel the same as I am?’ he turned his head toward Sana, mind still deep in thoughts which earned a worrying look from the girl.

“Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung!” Sana tried to call her cub.

“Hm? What, what?” Chaeyoung shook his head trying to come back to reality.

“Are you okay? You stop abruptly and look pale? Are you fine? Should we go home?”

“No, no. I’m fine. Nothing to worry about. I just remembered something earlier. Hehe. Let’s walk more. I’d buy you a dinner and take you home, okay?.”

“You sure you’re okay? I don’t want to see you fallen sick. We could go home if you want” Sana sincerely concern.

“Positive miss! Look! I’m absolutely perfect..umh.. I mean healthy.” Chaeyoung said doing series of jumping jacks trying to convince Sana which led the latter to burst into laughter.

“Okay, okay cub, I trust you. Stop it. People are looking at us. It’s embarrassing” She said, still laughing.

“I though you were bored and don’t want to go out with me anymore so I’m scare” he pouted, protruding his two lips which Sana swore was the cutest thing she saw today.

“And why did you assume that?” She paused

“I like you so much Changie. And going out with you, well.. sometimes it was a little boring” she chuckled “Sometimes it was boring but I don’t know why I still enjoy it. Is it even makes sense? Hehe. I always enjoy it. Spending time with you. Being together with you. I like it. A lot

Chaeyoung could feel his heart would going to burst. It pounded too fast. Too hard. His pouted lips curved into a big akward shy smile slowly which he fought so hard to resist not being too obvious to the lady in front of him. He could had confessed by now. He was so sure that he had 70% chance of his feeling reciprocated. If not him being a coward. Yup, he was a coward. A big coward.

“Ehem” Chaeyoung cleared his throat. “Let- Let’s go that way. I know a good stall which sell a very yummy tteokbokki. It’s my treat!”

“ Yay! Hihi.. I love tteokbokki!” Sana said accompany by her small jump and happy sprint toward the stall, dragging Chaeyoung by the wrist. “Come on Chaeng. Hurry!”

Chaeyoung was in his nine cloud. Bubbles all around his mind and heart. She adored her. She adored the sight so much. ‘I’ll confess later. Maybe tonight’ he internally uttered.

 

They spent a whole day together. Walking, cycling, talking to each other, laughing and having fun. Sometimes it felt like the world only revolved around the two. Today would easily be the best day of his life since he was born. That was an amazing day. Chaeyoung never felt that happy in years. He was so happy he could fly. And that was not an exaggeration.

The night came quickly than they thought it will. Facing the now fully light up Banpo Bridge, Sana linked her arm to Chaeyoung’s, hands interlocking, leaning her head on his shoulder as they enjoying the gorgeous colourful rainbow fountain spraying jets of water in the air accompanying by romantic music. Perfect for the night. Everything was so perfect. The atmosphere, the view, and especially the girl beside him. Chaeyoung closed his eyes, breathing in every essence of tranquility he could had. Breathing in his favourite sweet scent from his favourite person. One of the street light flickering its light, illuminating her goddess- like figure. He could enjoy this time forever. Together with Sana. With the person he loved the most.

“Changie”

“Hm?”

“Do you remember the scholarship I told you before?”

Chaeyoung opened his eyes, looking at Sana. Something in him bothering him but he stayed calm waiting for Sana to say another word.

A word that he never knew would pierce him, making him felt tons of various emotions.

“…”

“I got accepted. They emailed me yesterday and told me I got accepted.”

Chaeyoung heart sunk. So deep he thought he might forget how to breath. He was not supposed to be sad. He was supposed to be happy. It was Sana’s dream. A dream she had work so hard for. The cub knew so well she wanted it and worthy of it. But a part in his heart still feel the sorrow. He didn’t know how to react nor what to say. Should he congratulate her? Or told her to stay? But will it be the right thing to do? He just didn’t know what to say.. nor do.

“Should I stay?”

“…”

“Changie? Should I stay?”

“.…”

“Changie? Please.. I…”

“No” He finally spoke. “Why would you stay? Don’t you want it? You work so hard for it Sana and now you got accepted. Congratulations! I’m really happy for you. I really am.” Chaeyoung said with a sad look but sincere smile.

“Oh thank you.” Sana said, lowering her eyes, disappointed.

“When will you go?”

“In three months”

“Hm. Have you told the others? How about Mina? And Momo?”

“No, I want to tell you first”

The cold silent night enveloped them. It was supposed to be the best night ever. He was supposed to confess. They were supposed to be called ‘lover’ (if his feeling were reciprocated by the latter). Chaeyoung looked at her. She shivered a little from the cold gust of wind so he gave her his black jacket and squeezing her hand tighter. He was so scared. So scared to lose her. He was so near to break into tears but able to contain and hold it in. His heart cried slightly that night.

“Should we go home, Sana? I’ll take you home”

The latter nodded still unable to look Chaeyoung in the eyes.

The ride felt empty. Not a single word escaped their mouths. Sana hugged Chaeyoung tighter as his Honda CB1000R cruised through the night street of Seoul, glimmering with car’s and street light, with the glimpse of stars shining above them.

The two of them had deep thoughts that night.