Pushing Forward [One shot]

Pushing Forward
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Kim Jong Kook and Song Ji Hyo started going out, they both agreed to keep their relationship a secret. Only their families knew about it as they would usually hang around each other’s houses. Not only did they enjoy the company of their loved ones but they also took pleasure in their much needed privacy away from their friends and the limelight.

 

While they both love and appreciate their Running Man Cast members, they knew that they wanted to take things slow and keep it low-key for a little longer. This is their first relationship in years, particularly for Jong Kook. He wanted this to be special so he is treating this with extra care. He knew their friends well. If the news broke out, Haha and Kwangsoo would grab the opportunity to tease them which would arouse Jae Suk and everyone else would follow suit. Of course they understand that’s just how they roll and how they show their support and things would eventually go back to normal.

 

However, he is pretty much concerned with Ji Hyo who has always been private about her life. He knew she wasn’t ashamed of their relationship, but he was aware of the pressures she felt whenever the media would publicize her dating life. He recalled how uncomfortable she was at set when her “love line” with Gary had to be temporarily discontinued after the news of her dating Baek Chang Joo was released and how distraught she felt when Gary left the show. It’s a sad reality that most women face in this industry: to be defined and be tied down to a man. He was mindful of this and knew that Ji Hyo felt lost during shoots for a role she was trying to fill.

 

Most importantly, he remembered how difficult it was for her when the scandal of their removal from Running Man broke loose. He had a hard time but Ji Hyo had it worse. The Running Man Cast’s kakao group exploded with anger and support for the two. The other members have unanimously decided that they too would leave the show if this was not settled properly. Although he was thankful for their response, he assured them that they didn’t have to sacrifice anything for his career. Obviously, his friends did not agree with him. They had clearly made up their minds and have started coordinating with their respective agencies on preparing a statement for the media. All throughout this whole ordeal, Ji Hyo had completely shut off from everyone. She did not respond to any of their messages nor did she bother opening them. They only heard from her side through her agency’s statements. The men thought that this must be Ji Hyo’s way of coping so they did not force her to open up and gave her some space.

 

A few days had passed since the news came out when Kwangsoo received a frantic call from Ji Hyo’s brother. He informed him that his noona had locked herself in her room for two full days. When he heard that, he immediately went to their house to console and persuade her to come out of her room. Kwangsoo has been standing outside her room for almost an hour but Ji Hyo has still not given in his plea.

 

“Noona, please open the door. Let’s talk,” Kwangsoo knocked.

 

Silence. Kwangsoo looked over to Sung-moon who was just as helpless as he was.

 

Suddenly Kwangsoo received a text message and he was surprised that it was from none other than Ji Hyo

 

Please leave. I don’t think I can face you like this.

 

He sighed. Knowing that his noona want nothing else but that. He conceded, Arasso. I’m leaving but if you don’t come out to eat dinner tonight, I’m coming back to force you out of your room. And don’t you dare get mad at Sung-moon. See you soon, Noona.

 

When he left Ji Hyo’s house, Kwangsoo texted the other cast members and told them about Ji Hyo’s situation. The cast members were deeply troubled and had offered to accompany Kwangsoo if she still wouldn’t come out of her room.

 

At around 5:30pm, Sung-moon was simultaneously preparing for dinner and monitoring Ji Hyo’s door. His focus was interrupted when the doorbell rang. He was baffled to find Jong Kook standing in front of their apartment.

 

“Hyung, what are you doing here?”

 

“Has she gone out of her room yet?”

 

“Not really”

 

“Arasso, let me try to talk to her. Where’s the key to her room?”

 

Sung-moon handed him over the key, “Here, I was planning to open it myself by dinner time. This is the first time I’ve seen Noona this way and I’m scared to do this alone. I know this must be hard for you too but thank you for coming.”

 

Jong Kook could only nod cause he didn’t know how to respond to him. Sung-moon led him to Ji Hyo’s room and left him for some privacy. He gently knocked on her door, “Ji Hyo-ah, it’s me...Jong Kook Oppa. Please open the door…”

 

Just like how she treated Kwangsoo, Jong Kook was receiving the same silent treatment from her. And he was not having any of it, “Ji Hyo-ah, I’m coming in, arasso?”

 

As he was about to insert the key to the door knob, Ji Hyo’s bedroom door swung open. She stood before him and stared at his gaze with her tired swollen eyes.

 

“Oppa, why are you here?”

 

“I came in to check on you,” he said sincerely.

 

Upon hearing those words, her eyes watered and she could no longer mask her emotions with her blank expression. She silently broke down. Jong Kook could not bear to see her like this so he just hugged her and comforted her by patting her back. Words were not necessary at that moment. He allowed her to let go of the feelings she was bottling up for days.

 

It took awhile before Ji Hyo was able to calm down and compose herself. When she felt ready, she released herself from his hug. As she faced him, she noticed that the corners of his eyes were a bit damp. He promptly brushed them off hoping to divert Ji Hyo’s attention to something else.

 

“Mianhe, Oppa. I was too selfish. I did not even think about you when you’re going through this yourself,” she broke the silence.

 

“Aniyo, we both needed it. To be honest, I don’t think anyone can fully understand the position we’re in right now. Not even our friends,” Jong Kook explained.

 

Ji Hyo nodded.

 

“Ji Hyo-ah, let’s eat. You’re tired and you need to regain your strength.”

 

“I don’t feel like eating”

 

“But you can’t let this get the best of you.”

 

During dinner time, Kim Jong Kook had asked his manager to bring them some seolleongtang, galbi jim and pajeon from Ji Hyo’s favorite restaurant. Although Sung-moon had prepared some side dishes and rice, he left the house to have dinner with Jong Kook’s manager to give the two some more space.

 

As they ate, Jong Kook kept a close eye on Ji Hyo’s food intake. He noticed that she was struggling to build up her appetite and would sometimes stare on the table. So from time to time, he would add a bit more food into her bowl and she would force herself to eat it.

 

“Oppa, if I ask you for details, will you honestly tell me what’s going on?”

 

“Ji hyo, you know that I’ll be frank, regardless of the questions you’ll throw at me. However, I want you to promise me that you won’t shut yourself from us”

 

Ji Hyo gulped.

 

“Just don’t keep us out. You’re not alone in this. Let’s face it together. Prove them wrong,” His eyes sternly fixed on hers.

 

“Okay, I promise.”

 

Jong Kook relayed all the things he knew to Ji Hyo. He did not sugarcoat how bad things looked and did not hold back in telling her the plan of the cast members to leave the show. He also shared that SBS has started reaching out to his agency on negotiations to fix the “misunderstanding” and extending his stay with Running Man till it ends in February. It was a difficult thing to talk about and she was truly grateful to Kim Jong Kook for not keeping any secrets from her. Through this talk, she was able to walkthrough with Jong Kook the next course of actions that they could both take. And as that night ended, she felt as if she could breathe again. She didn’t have to carry the burden by herself. She had her family, friends, agency and Kim Jong Kook supporting her.

 

Since that day, things have changed between Jong Kook and Ji Hyo. Their friendship became stronger. They both dealt with the negotiations side by side. Jong Kook never left her out of the loop and guided her on what to do and prepare for her internal meetings with her agency.

 

Everyone also noticed how close they’ve become when the first episode after the scandal was shot. Despite the awkwardness they felt from some crew members, they held their heads high and became each other’s support system. Behind the scenes, they were often seen hanging out together. A few weeks before the scandal broke loose, Ji Hyo would often be alone during breaks and would interact less with the cast and crew. But today things were a lot different. Jong Kook did not leave Ji Hyo alone. He would accompany her or drag Kwangsoo to keep an eye on her.

 

Jae Suk happily observed the interaction between the two. He was relieved to see that Ji Hyo is doing better with the help of Jong Kook. He knew how strong willed and passionate Jong Kook was and he is a good influence on restoring Ji Hyo’s confidence back. Even though the scandal brought uncertainty for the show, Jae Suk found comfort on the certainty that their friendships would last a lifetime.

 

The weeks flew by and SBS issued another round of negotiations with the whole cast. This time, they offered to retain Running Man and would explore the addition of two cast members.

 

Jong Kook was beside Ji Hyo when the announcement was made. At the corner of his eye, he noticed her stiffen upon the revelation of a younger actress being chosen to join the cast.

 

Once the meeting finished, Jong Kook seized the opportunity to invite Ji Hyo for dinner and confront her to confirm why she reacted that way.

 

As they were waiting for their food to be served, Jong Kook couldn’t help himself and became upfront with her.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter