The honeymoon

Me & You

The door clicked close as Solji sighed. The bell guy just left the luxury suite with a generous tip. This was supposed to be her honeymoon and yet she was here with a near stranger. For heaven’s sake, she married a stranger! And above everything, a woman! Just because of a date. Shame on you, Solji. But Hyojin-ssi agreed with this craziness, so she shouldn’t overthink this. While still in this internal turmoil, the blond heard a soft whimper. It was muffled, but constant; almost as if it didn’t want to be heard. Slowly, she approached the room’s door and found Hyojin curled onto herself on the queen-sized bed. Instead of leaving the woman on her own, Solji stepped into the chamber and walked to Hyojin. It was pure instinct. Or maybe she was still a little tipsy.


Without asking for permission, Solji hopped on the bed beside Hyojin, and started to sooth her back. Hyojin still used the set of white strapped top and white pants she used to leave the wedding venue. Solji also still wore her leaving attire, a knee long strapped loose beige and white dress. They had to keep with the schedule after all. The managers rearranged the days of one of the honeymoon places, which, to their surprise, happened to be in the same location, but in different resorts: Jeju Island. Now, the newlyweds would spend three days in each place, starting with Solji’s. They arrived late at night, with the help of mr. Heo, Solji’s father, who send them off in his private jet.


With the caring hand on her back, Hyojin felt safe to keep crying. And she let everything out. Her cry echoed loud throughout the room. Hyojin played tough while all the twists of the day happened, yet when she finally arrived at the hotel room with a very much different spouse than expected it dawned on her that the man she thought she loved left her on the altar for real. That she agreed on this insane idea to marry this stranger woman just to keep the date. Why this date was so important anyways? She couldn’t even remember right now. Solji’s hand was so comforting and she craved for more contact, so Hyojin shifted her position and hugged Solji. They stayed like this until falling asleep, with Solji’s hand tendering Hyojin’s spiritual wounds. 


When Hyojin woke up Solji’s hand was still on her back. The older woman slept, and despite the serene expression, she had bags under her eyes. Not to mention the smudged makeup, but Hyojin was probably looking the same; she chuckled with the thought. Yet, looking at this gentle woman made her feel grateful for her last night’s gesture. It was the support she didn’t know she needed. She rearranged her position, still close to Solji, and slept again. 


Hours later, a phone rang somewhere in the room. The two woke up a little confused, but Solji soon realized it was hers. Solji stood up, leaving Hyojin stretching on the bed and went to look for her phone. She found it on a table in the entrance room. And the caller was none other than her real estate agent.


“Hello, mr. Hong.” She sounded hoarse and groggy.
“Good afternoon, miss Heo. Congratulation on your wedding.” He greeted.


“Thank you. Is there any problem?” Solji knew there might be something with this sudden call. He wouldn’t call only to congratulate her.


“Actually, there is.” Solji raised an eyebrow, even though she knew he couldn’t see her, and waited. “I can’t help to notice the deposit for the apartment hasn’t been made yet. It is actually overdue since limit date was two days ago.” He informed with business voice.


“No? But I gave him my share of the money for it. He told me he’d take care of it.” Then Solji stopped and something clicked. “Oh...” She inhaled deeply. “I might know what have happened. Can I call you later?”


“No problem. I’ll be waiting for your call then.” After that, they hang up. 


And Solji threw a fit.


Hyojin rushed to the antechamber as soon as she heard the screams and the cussing. Solji punched a cushion with a bright red face. When the older woman faced her, tears streamed down her cheeks. Hyojin rushed to her side asking what happened. Solji gritted her teeth and replied.


“That son of a robbed me!!!”


The younger woman asked her to elaborate and she explained. Solji and her ex-fiancee were planning to move into a moderate size apartment after the wedding. After picking the perfect place, they arranged for the deposit to be made. He was responsible to deposit the money and arrange their move. But now the real estate agent called saying there was no deposit and since the fiancee bailed on her, he probably took the money with him. Now she had no place to go and not enough money to get another place. And she definitely didn’t want to ask her dad for help. She looked helpless.


“You can come live with me, if you want.” The words rolled out of Hyojin’s mouth naturally.


Solji looked dumbfounded. “What?”


“The jerk would be moving in with me, since I own my apartment. Now there’s lots of free space and I don’t want him near it for anything in the world. In fact, I’d have him killed if I find out he is near me.” Hyojin informed and Solji laughed at the last part.


“Are you sure?” 


“After last night? I’m more than sure.” Hyojin reassured her. “Wait. How many stuff do you own? If you have too many things it won’t fit in my apartment.” Solji laughed again.


“Aside a massive wardrobe, there’s only personal stuff. My books, my computer, my dogs, their toys.” Solji listed. The younger one nodded. “Oh, and a piano.”


“A piano?! I totally expected the massive wardrobe but that was unexpected. I guess I’ll have to rearrange the living room.” And they both chuckled.


“Thank you.” Solji finally felt light hearted.


“Thank you, too.” Hyojin smiled sincerely. 


 The two chatted for a while until Solji gathered courage to return mr. Hong’s call and cancel their contract. She hoped she had enough money for the fine. He actually went easy on her once she told him what really happened and asked for discretion. After the uncomfortable talk, they decided it was time to enjoy their trip.


Solji put her phone to charge as they might need it for some emergency throughout the day. Hyojin remembered she threw hers on the wall when he sent the message informing he wouldn’t appear. She could easily get a new one, but it would be interesting being without her phone for a couple of days. And Solji offered hers anyways.


The pair freshened up, reapplied the makeup and went to spend the rest of the day by the pool. 
On their fourth day, they moved to the second honeymoon place: a cabin with an amazing beach view. And they even had a private jacuzzi in their veranda. And with all honesty, they didn’t do anything much different from the previous place. The two women basically spent the day by the pool, chatted, ate at the hotel restaurant, and slept. They also agreed to share the bed, they did it in the first night, why couldn’t they keep doing it. Besides, it felt less lonely with everything that happened.


Hyojin learned that Solji, despite her age, still lived in her parent’s house, and that’s the reason she has so little furniture. She spent most of her twenties studying, since she could. She got several degrees and for a couple of years she has been teaching in the history department of a prestigious university. Most of her money goes for clothing and toys for her dogs. Her hobbies included, but not limited to, reading, play piano, watching movies, doing flower arrangements. The woman had a witty, sometimes loud, behavior, and despite their situation, the good humor was always present.


Solji learned that Hyojin had a management degree and worked for her father until she saved up to open her own business; a night club she called Elly’s. Her parents supported her decision and after a year, she managed to purchase her own apartment. She was very proud of her achievements. The club is very successful now, but she still consults for her father from time to time. Hyojin also had a dog she was crazy about. When they decided to skinny-dip in the jacuzzi, Solji noticed Hyojin’s body had a couple of tattoos, especially on her torso. To the younger woman’s surprise, Solji not only liked them but praised them. Hyojin liked to play games, laze around and check other bar and clubs on the free time. The woman liked to use social network a lot and ended up using Solji’s phone for that.


In the end, their honeymoon was the time off they were needing. Hyojin returned home with a dark tan and Solji with her phone full of pictures marking the start of her, their, new life.