The wedding

Me & You

The venue was full. As it was a venue focused on events it was no problem at all to hold two big wedding parties. Each and every person invited to the wedding made an attendance, on both sides. The decoration was on spot for the brides` wishes. The flowers, the food, the illumination. The women, and their families, were happily receiving their guests. Everything was perfect. Except it wasn’t.


The brooms were missing! One bride, the blondest one, shed silent tears, pouting trying to control herself, clutching her phone, almost cracking the screen. The other bride, another blonde with a darker shade, held the angriest expression you could ever see in a person, especially in their weeding day, having already screamed at her phone, followed by a perfect throw towards the wall; saying it just cracked was beyond the truth. The two families sat across each other on the meeting room, mothers consoling their daughters, fathers and brothers trying their best to not go kill the men who hurt their precious family, wedding managers having the greatest headache of their lives. The venue manager was way too amused thinking about the statistics of runaway grooms on the same day, in the same place. The weddings were the two large events of the day and now they were trying to figure out how to proceed. 


“Miss Solji, Miss Hyojin, what do you want to do?” The venue manager asked, shifting her gaze between the two.


“I...” Tried Solji, the one with the lighter shade of blond, sobbing helplessly. Her mother soothed her, caressing her back.


“I want to kill that bastard.” Groaned Hyojin. Her mother gripped her hand strongly and reprimanded her. Solji sobbed once more.


“I understand you but you can’t do that, dear.”
“Let’s cancel it. All of this.” Roared Hyojin’s father. 
“Good idea!” Agreed Solji’s father. “I just Don’t want to see my daughter hurting anymore.”


“I want to marry!” Hyojin hit he table with her free hand, making most of the people in the room jump in their seats. “Can’t I just marry myself?” Then all the eyes turned toward her.


“I want to marry as well.” Solji managed to say without stuttering, and heads wiped towards her. “This date is too important for me and I definitely don’t want to date anyone for a long time after this whole fiasco.” 


“Exactly! I’d rather marry myself and love myself for the rest of my life instead of having to deal with another son of a . I definitely don’t trust men right now.” Hyojin said between her teeth. The managers sighed.


“It is really up to you but I don’t think solo marriage is accepted in this country yet. You girls could continue the ceremony, but no register can be done.” Explained one manager. 


“If it could make you happy...” Hyojin’s father started, but a ping from a phone interrupted. 


“Sorry, it was mi..” Solji apologized. She unlocked it to mute, but her eyes widened upon reading the headlines of what made her phone interrupt them.

“Ahn Hyojin-ssi, can I talk to you for a moment, alone?” The other woman looked at her intrigued. “Please?” 


Upon agreeing, the two stood up and walked to another room for privacy, with Hyojin eyeing Solji’s serious countenance. Without saying a word, Solji showed up her phone. Hyojin grabbed it and read the headline aloud.


“Korean parliament finally legalizes same- marriage” She frowned. “So? Why do you even follow such news?”


“It’s the least I should do as a history teacher.” Solji shrugged. “But that doesn’t matter right now. Read again.” She whispered, fearing her thoughts would be heard by other than Hyojin. The other blond looked at the phone again, muttering the firsts words.


“...legalizes same- marria..ge...” Hyojin’s eyes widened in realization. “This is crazy! We just met!”


“I know! I’m telling myself the same thing! And I don’t even know if I like women. Never really questioned this before... Anyways....” Solji ranted. 


“Yeah..” Hyojin rolled her eyes. “I get it. You want to marry, I want to marry. Apparently, this date is important to both of us.” She rationalized.


“Look, I think we can be really good friends. And with all honesty, I want to stay away from the men plus relationship for a very long time. If ever. I just want to lead a peaceful life, the only males I want in my life are my dogs.”


“It’s nice of you to think we could be good friends.” Hyojin smiled at that. People were usually afraid of her due to her all-the-time serious look. She paused a bit. “If one of us ever find someone, could we divorce?”


“Sure.” Solji nodded. “If you’re in, help me with the people out there?” Hyojin stopped for a while, pondering.


“Let’s do it!”


When the two returned, all the attention were set on them. The audience in the room was really curious to know about what the girls talked in private. They held hands; Solji’s phone still with Hyojin. A frown appeared on almost everyone’s faces. “We are going to marry each other.” They announced. Jaws dropped; gasps filled the room. While objections were thrown right and left, the managers gathered to check if this was legally possible. 


“Aside from love, marriage is about commitment, communication and mutual respect. Even though we just met, I’m confident we can hold these three.” Hyojin said confidently, but tightening the grip on Solji’s hand.


“We are serious about this. This is important.” Solji reassured, returning the grip.


There was a pregnant silence. Parents and brothers looked at each other. Managers announced it was possible. Happened to be possible that same very day.


“Ok.” Hyojin’s father finally agreed.


Solji’s father nodded. “We just want you to be happy.”


“If that’s the way, so be it.” Solji’s mother added.


“Everything for my baby.” Hyojin’s mother sobbed softly and was aided by her son.


The two women screamed in happiness, hugging frantically. They were going to get married! The fact it was with each other didn’t seem to bother them. Internally, both were rather surprised their parents allowed a same- marriage so easily. 


Now that two weddings would become one, some changes needed to be set. Yet the managers hired were high skilled as they were expensive. In no time not only every change was decided, but the layout got moved and guests relocated. Needless to say, everyone was very confused, but mostly the grooms’ guests. Those were welcomed to stay if they pleased, but the managers mercilessly informed that their friends didn’t show up, and since the will to marry remained, things were rearranged. Solji and Hyojin were directed to a dressing room to have hair and makeup fixed. Solji needed it the most. The unusual pair used that time to chat and know more about each other.


About thirty minutes later, and almost two hours late, the ceremony began. The two brides walked side by side, with linked arms and a flower bouquet in their hands. It was an understatement that all the guests got surprised. It was incredible that they really had something to say to each other. Their vows managed to express their feelings toward the situation and for one another, mostly the hope to find in them a great friend. When the celebrant stated that the bride could kiss the bride, Hyojin kissed Solji’s hand then her forehead, and Solji repeated the gesture. The crowd applauded, surprisingly emotive. 


The guests never witnessed a party with so many food and drinks. They were serving both parties buffet to everyone, regardless to which bride side they were. Hyojin learned that Solji was a great singer, with clear, high ranged voice; Solji learned that Hyojin was a great entertainer, with snarky remarks and sour comebacks. The two danced on the dance floor together and around their friends, sometimes with a drink in hand. From afar, their family observed, praying for this unusual arrangement to work. At least they got hooked up with a good family.


By the end of the party, Hyojin and Solji were at a couch in the reception room, leaning on each other, drowsy, and too drunk to think further than how tired they were. And above all, married.


It was the best wedding party those guests attended to in years.