On the Rural Train

Looking At You

“We have arrived at RR station. The door will be opening soon. 5 minutes till department.” A voice rang through the compartments of the train several times, alerting people to make their move. 

 

A certain girl nonchalantly looked through the transparent glass windows on her right, and she quietly took in the view of her surroundings. It has always been the same journey for the past few months since her parents left for their business trips. The same trip to the semi-rural market and back to her grandparents’ residence. Knowing it would take quite a while to get to her destination, she decided to take a short nap. 

 

---

 

“Hey, you look pretty young amongst all the passengers here. How old are you?” A feminine voice along with a gentle nudge woke the girl up. She looked towards her left and saw a friendly-looking lady smiling at her. 

 

Perhaps she was still half-awake.. that she unknowingly praised the lady’s looks akin to be like a goddess. 

 

“Oh my, I’m flattered.” Jinsoul gave a hearty chuckle.

 

“Should I not look at you so much?” The *BLACK-HAIRED* lady asked as she saw how red the girl’s ears were getting for every passing they have eye contact. She then turned her head away to avoid the growing awkwardness rising between the two of them. 

 

“Oh no.. It’s just that it’s not every day I see someone this pretty come here.  I uh-” Jungeun spoke slowly, so as not to fumble over her words and make herself look like a fool in front of this gorgeous lady.

 

“That’s true though, I have been receiving stares from unwanted parties when I first got onto this train. But after moving along the train and coming to this section, it doesn’t feel that horrible anymore. Plus, I got a seat next to a cute girl.” The older lady smiled proudly, not knowing that the very girl beside her is already planning to take her home. 

 

“C-c-ccute?? She called me CUTE???” Jungeun’s poor heart stopped a beat as she replayed the words in her mind. 

 

“So what are you here for?” Jinsoul continued the conversation without hesitation. 

 

“Uhm.. I’m just going back to see my grandparents.” Jungeun decided to keep it short as she doesn’t yet trust this nice lady fully. Who knows if she’s a thief trying to get close to you, right?

 

“Ah, Me too! But for me, it’s more like an immersion trip to the rural areas. I have to write an essay about it for my university thesis.” Jinsoul then whipped out her personal notebook and started doodling on it. 

 

“What are you drawing?” Curiosity hits the young owl as she tried to look over the arms of the older lady. 

 

Playing hard to get, the *BLACK-HAIRED* lady closed her notebook as quickly as possible when she was done with her drawings. 

 

“Not telling!” The older one of the two jokingly said, earning herself a scowl from the other party. 

 

“It’d be nice if you could come to the city, and I could show you around the place where I live at. It’s a rather chaotic place, but quite lively. I’m sure you’ll like it there.” Jinsoul smiled to the girl while mumbling softly. 

 

Sensing sadness in her eyes, she immediately stopped talking and apologized to the girl. 

 

As they talked more, their time spent with each other is slowly coming to an end.

 

---

 

“We have arrived at ZZ station. The door will be opening soon. 5 minutes till department.” 

 

“Ah! I have to get down here. It had been such a splendid time talking with you. Thanks for giving me new insights about the place around here…” Jinsoul paused before speaking up again. 

 

“If you do ever have a chance to come to the city, here is my place of address. Don’t worry about expenses, I can pay those things for you.” She then quickly scribbled down a string of letters and numbers on a spare piece of paper in her wallet and passed it to the girl hastily.

 

Without warning, Jinsoul held up the girl’s hands and gave it a little peck on her fingers before bidding farewell to the girl she met on the train for the last time. 

 

Stunned by the actions of the lady, she tightly clutched onto the piece of paper even after the train has left the previous station. 

 

As she slowly read through the contents on that white object, the girl smiled a little. 

 

“Just two more weeks and I’ll meet up with you again, Jinsoul unnie.”