Crimson Red

A Playlist For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It isn’t just the weather but also her mood that’s gloomy. Chorong may have won the presidential election this school year when her sole purpose for joining was to save herself from that childish argument her friends got her into. But it’s too late to dwell on that as she now carries the burden and responsibility to lead the student council. 

“Yo president-nim!” Bomi waved to her as Chorong walk in their direction and later on joined them at the table.

“Who would’ve thought right?” Hayoung stated as they recall the announcement of the new set of officers earlier. 

And Eunji could only just shake her head in disagreement with the idea that Chorong had a small chance of winning. “What do you mean 'who would've thought'? With Bomi’s outstanding support during her campaign, you know it’s an easy win.”

Bomi surely did help Chorong a lot given that the girl is famous in their boarding school for having so many fans as she’s the main dancer of the dance troupe. Though this kind of act is something that the group expected from the two as they’ve been inseparable as far as their memory could remember. Chorong and Bomi have been nothing but each other’s pillars of support.

“Ahh Naeun-ah.. if only you ran for one position, I wouldn’t be this miserable.” Chorong whined as she grabs Naeun's arms and snuggles to her petite figure. Knowing that Naeun is undeniably pretty, she’ll definitely win the election alongside Chorong. But the girl doesn’t like doing so much work so she dismissed the idea when they once talked about it.

Bomi could only smile at the sight of her two friends but there’s an evident feeling of jealousy painted behind those looks that Chorong, her longest friend, definitely saw as the latter stood up from her seat to give Bomi the warmest hug. “You’re smiling but it’s nothing like your genuine ones.” Chorong whispered and continued speaking a little louder now for their friends to hear, “Bbom-ah~ thank you for being the best campaign manager!” Bomi staying as still as water untouched trying to control herself now that she feels her cheeks burning from Chorong’s bold act.

“I want a hug too!” Namjoo breaking them apart said and Chorong did as she’s told and hugged Namjoo tightly. The rest congratulated her on winning but having Chorong’s phone ring endlessly, she knew she had to do some actual work to this position she now holds.

“Duty calls.” Chorong stated as she read some of the messages she received from the other officers. As much as she wanted to stay longer with her friends, she can’t.

“Chorong unnie, isn’t the council office in another building?” Naeun called stopping Chorong as she already has the bag carried on her back and was ready to go.

“Yes.”

“And you’re just wearing that? It’s freezing cold outside!” Eunji exclaimed as she notices that Chorong is still in their summer uniform with no other clothes to warm herself from the coming winter season. And as if everyone is already aware of what’s gonna happen next, they looked at Bomi who’s sitting comfortably and warm wearing her crimson red sweater.

“Of course.” The girl totally understood what those looks mean as she undresses the sweater and gave it to Chorong. “Here have this for the meantime, Rongie. I’ll be going back to the dorm with them anyway.”

Chorong smiled at Bomi’s gesture and quickly wrapped the sweater around her neck as she’s too stubborn to remove her heavy backpack. 

“As a president, I’m assuming you know how that’s not the proper way to wear those right?” Namjoo criticized her friend as the others laugh at her remarks.

Chorong didn’t bother wearing it properly but instead, she waved goodbye and said, “Keep Bomi warm for me!” as she ran away from them, leaving the cafeteria.

Now Bomi is left with nothing but teasing smiles of her friends. “Come on, it’s just a sweater.” Well, they all know when it comes to Chorong, it’s never just a sweater.

 

 

The Student Council orientation lasted long enough that Chorong is welcomed with such a dark quiet night. As she parted ways with her members and the professors, Chorong walked to their dorm alone enjoying the peacefulness of the campus ground. She can’t help but feel a little lonely given the presence of the cold breeze and the sound of rustling leaves. Winter is indeed coming. “It’s at times like this when I miss having her around.” She told herself but soon comforted as the wind blows only making Bomi’s scent in the sweater more distinct. She hugs herself feeling grateful having not just this warmth but Yoon Bomi in general.

 

Chorong decided to go straight to her room instead of passing by the others as it is really late and she doesn’t want to be such a bother. As the warmth of her own room welcomes her, she decided to get out of the sweater. “I guess I’ll return this to Bomi tomorrow.” And as she folds them neatly she felt that there’s something inside its pocket. 

“Oh, it’s her iPod. Perfect!” It’s been months since the girl last added music on her very own playlist. And now that she has Bomi’s iPod, she decided to take a good look at her best friend’s taste in music hoping she’d find something that suits her own. Skimming through the different playlists that Bomi created, Chorong was most surprised to see one named after her, Rongie to be precise.

Quickly, the girl untangled those earphones and listened to the playlist. It started with Perhaps Love by Eric Nam, CHEEZE and Chorong actually enjoyed it. Appreciating the music as she leans back on her bed headboard. She can’t help but to listen intently to the lyrics of the song, “Does she- she likes- no love me?” Chorong thought. 

Trying to understand more the reason behind why Bomi has this playlist, Chorong once again browses over the rest of the songs in the Rongie playlist:

Blueberry Eyes by MAX, SUGA

Some by SOYOU, Junggigo

Beautiful Day by Urban Zakapa

Yes, You by Standing Egg

Most of it ain’t new to her, she listens to these songs as well and by that Chorong is positive that Bomi likes her more than just a friend. 

“For how long has she been hiding this?” the girl thought as she holds on to the iPod tightly, keeping it close to her chest as she continues to listen to it with such a happy heart. 

 

This revelation didn’t give her that much sleep as her mind continuously wander at the idea of dating Bomi, she’s not mad that her best friend has developed feelings for her. It’s never like that. In fact, the girl is thrilled by this news as she loves Bomi just as much.

“I will make her confess.” It’s a plan, Chorong will force (in a way) Bomi in confessing her love. 

 

 

“Bomi!” Eunji called as she and Naeun saw Bomi waiting outside the dorm, most probably waiting for Chorong as they usually walk to the campus main building together. 

Bomi then waved to her two friends as they approach her. “Good morning, love birds.” She said but Naeun was quick to shush and hit her shoulders. “I don’t really get why you two have to hide it, are you embarrassed by my friend here?” Bomi asked pertaining to Eunji who just smiled at her knowing that it’s not the case. 

“We’re just the kind of couple who likes to keep our private lives.. private.” Eunji explained but Bomi still doesn’t get the logic behind it. 

“Still.. having the Son Naeun? Eunji, she’s a goddess! I’d scream for the world to know that we’re dating.” It’s true, Bomi once dated this girl named Lizzy and oh dear their public display of affection has always been the talk of the students. They just can’t seem to take their hands off of each other.

“Then why don’t you start by letting Chorong unnie notice your love? Please everyone knows you like her except for that oblivious woman.” Eunji said knocking some sense into Bomi’s brain.

“Don’t talk to her like that!” Bomi said defending Chorong and soon felt her heart stop as she heard someone from behind.

“Oooh, I’m actually enjoying this chitchat.” Namjoo out of nowhere joined the discussion.

“You scared me!”

“Come on, Bomi unnie. Even if Chorong heard everything, she’s too dense to even process that you actually like her like her.” Their friends sure are getting tired of the two running in circles and even after all those meddling they did before, Chorong and Bomi just can’t seem to find their way to each other. It’s tiring. 

“I- I just don’t want to ruin it.” Bomi said in defeat knowing that she really can’t bring herself to tell Chorong about her affection towards the latter. 

“I hate to break it to you guys but I saw Chorong unnie left early this morning.” Hayoung announced and sure the girls were indeed surprised by her sudden appearance.

“I swear to god, can’t you guys at least say hi?! Stop appearing like mushrooms!” Bomi said as she led the others to go on their respective classes.

 

 

Chorong didn’t join them in lunch today, not even yesterday nor the day before that.

“I guess it’ll be like this now that she’s the president.” Eunji said as they eat in silence clearly missing their dear friend.

“Yea. We shouldn’t have made that deal.” Namjoo recalled one of their meddling that leads to this situation their in right now. 

Suho has been pursuing Chorong for quite some time back then. Eunji made a deal with the guy without Chorong’s knowledge. The deal was if Suho wins the election, they’ll let Chorong have a date with him but if Chorong wins, he has to stop and let her go.

“I miss her already! She didn’t even say goodnight to us last night! Not even a message on our group chat!” Hayoung ranted definitely not adjusting well to this new setup. Chorong usually barges into their rooms just to give them a hug and bid goodnight. Hayoung being the youngest, Chorong did spoil her quite more than the others. “Don’t you miss your girlfriend?!” 

“Huh?” Bomi said as she quickly turns her phone down and her friends sure find it suspicious. 

“Who are you texting? I can’t believe we’re here rooting for you yet you have the audacity to date other people.” Eunji said having her palm pressed on her forehead.

“I do have a date but with Chorong unnie and not other people so stop being nosy and just eat.” Bomi said smiling as she thinks of a good place where they could plan the school trip over dinner. 

“Let me see!” Hayoung was quick to grab Bomi’s phone and look at Namjoo for the passcode as if the other girl knows.

“Why would you think I know her code?” Namjoo asked but also is curious about Chorong’s message as she and Hayoung turn their heads to Naeun.

“Wha- wait try Chorong’s birthday.” Naeun said hoping that Bomi’s whipped self over Chorong has conquered her very own phone.

“910303?” Hayoung looked at Bomi and that surprised look confirms their guess. “It worked!”

From: Chorong
Bbom Bbom, can we meet after class? I need help on this school trip.

“I can’t believe she’s just asking for you! Let me come too!” Hayoung said returning the phone to Bomi. And if only looks can kill a person, this girl would’ve been shot dead by her own friends.

“Do you want to come?” Bomi teased as the others panic.

Eunji quickly gave Hayoung a headlock. “No. This girl will be accompanying me this afternoon! You go enjoy your date later."

Bomi could only just smile at her friends and somehow within her, she felt that she should at least try and make a move given that her friends have always been the ones to make an actual effort even before.

 

 

Right after the class, the student council has to go on rounds to each classroom. Chorong decided to pass by Bomi’s class first to tell the girl that she still have to finish their routine inspection and that the girl could get some rest before they go out for dinner outside the campus grounds. 

But what Chorong saw as she took a good peek inside didn’t please her, not one bit.

“Bbom-ah.” Chorong said with her hands slowly creeping on Bomi’s waist as the latter look at her surprised by the unannounced visit. 

“Yah! Rongie unnie! Not you too, jeez I’ve been nothing but startled since early morning.” Bomi said totally not minding Chorong’s hand resting well on her. 

“What’s up, president.” Lizzy addressed her presence as she totally feels awkward at the sight of Chorong being touchy with her ex girlfriend for she knows that the reason why Bomi called it off between them is because of Chorong. And by the way her ex-girlfriend acts right now, Lizzy is so sure that Chorong is still clueless as hell of Bomi’s feelings.

“Hey.” Chorong said to Lizzy but soon turn her focus on Bomi, “I still need to finish the inspection.” 

“That’s great! Bomi can still come with me for a while to the science department and set up some equipment for the club.” Lizzy said delighted at the given time for her to spend with Bomi.

“Did you quit the dance team?” Chorong asked as she can’t remember Bomi joining Lizzy in the science club. 

“Ahem. Bomi, let’s go?” Lizzy insisted as she pulled Bomi away from Chorong’s side. 

“Bomi isn’t going with Lizzy.” Chorong told herself. She once lost her and she’s not planning on losing her again. Not now that she knew how their feelings were mutual. “She’s going with me, we have plans.” Chorong stated and the atmosphere is close to meeting the weather outside. Cold.

“You have obligations to do.” Lizzy started reasoning out and their discussion finally catches the attention of Bomi’s classmates.

“And so? Is she your member for you to drag her all the way there to help?” Chorong rebutted and Bomi could only stay still as she has never seen this side of Chorong before. 

“She isn’t, as much as she isn’t a member of the council.” Lizzy is so getting on Chorong’s nerves as the latter could just look at her best friend and both girls know that it’ll be up to Bomi’s decision now. “What you say, Bomi-ni~?”

Chorong can’t help but feel a tug in her stomach hearing the nickname Lizzy used to call Bomi. She’s clearly doing this for Bomi to come with her instead.

“I’m sorry Liz but Chorong is right, we do have plans today. See you tomorrow?” Bomi bid goodbye as she held Chorong’s hand and led themselves out of the room leaving Lizzy alone with the small chatters of the students.

 

Bomi can’t help but notice the smile tattooed on Chorong’s face as they walk together, checking the rooms they pass one by one. “You’re smiling.”

“I sure am,” Chorong said as she turns her head now directing her smile towards the younger one. “You wanna know why?”

“Because I chose you over Lizzy?” Bomi answered half-jokingly as she chuckled picturing the exchange of knives between the two.

“That too.” too? Bomi thought as she looks at Chorong with a question. “I’m also happy because it’s been a while since we last walked hand in hand.” she finally said raising their intertwined hands that Bomi quickly broke.

“Sorry.” she apologized as she really didn’t realize that she’s holding Chorong’s hands for quite some time now.

“Come on, give it back! It’s cold, I need you.” And their hands find it’s way back to each other, if only it’s this easy for their hearts to do it too.

Bomi did felt restless but it’s a good kind of uneasiness that she’s managed to actually enjoy this walk. The young girl’s plan of protecting her heart from breaking once Chorong turns her down is so out of her mind right now. “I guess we’re all done?” Bomi said as they’ve reached the end of the hall and noticed how isolated the building is now that the students are definitely back at the dormitory.

“Looks like it. Let’s go change to some casual clothes before heading out.” Chorong reminded Bomi that they’re not allowed to go outside of their boarding school wearing their uniform, especially if it’s not a school-related activity.

“You really are a president now. We used to just go and break the rules before.” Bomi recalled the times they would go to an arcade to play after class and eat at their favorite dakbal place.

“Oh. If that’s what you want, I can still do that.” Chorong said as she pulled Bomi towards the school’s backyard where there’s a small gate that they use whenever they go out to the city.

“Unnie! We’ll get in trouble, you’ll get in trouble.” Worriedly, Bomi tried to stop Chorong but the girl already has unlocked the said gate.

Chorong pulled Bomi out and they started to walk like ninjas, “Stop worrying, I am with you.”

 

 

“Bbom-ah.” Chorong greeted as soon as Bomi picked up her phone. It’s already midnight and the girl is not even close to covering up the whole topic for her exam tomorrow that she needed Bomi to keep her awake. 

“Rongie. Hold on a sec.” Bomi basically just reached her own room from spending her free time with the dance crew as they prepare for the upcoming competition. 

“Aigoo, you’re working so hard.” She let the girl catch her breath and listen to Bomi’s mess. Just by hearing the chaos in Bomi’s room makes her want to drop everything that she’s doing and go there just to clean and arrange her stuff. 

“What’s up? Are you still studying? Is there anything you need?” Bomi asked knowing how diligent Chorong is with her studies but it’s different this time. The girl never once pulled an all-nighter, this must be a first. Bomi also did offer help even though she’s not that smart as the president is.

“I just wanted to hear your voice.” Chorong said that earned a soft gasp from Bomi that she definitely heard of, she’s been really vocal nowadays that she herself gets surprised by her own choice of words. “Because I needed to stay awake.” Chorong followed trying not to scare Bomi with her sudden change.

“But I still do need to shower, unnie. I’ll call you after?” Bomi said but Chorong doesn’t want that. If listening to her in the shower is what it takes, she’s willing to do it.

“Bring me with you, it’ll be like listening to raindrops. Please, Bbom-ah.” Chorong pleaded.

“Are you sure you’re okay? I really don’t think this presidency is doing you any good.” Bomi laughed at the idea Chorong presented. There’s no way that she’s bringing her phone in the shower imagining the worst-case scenario that she’ll accidentally open her cam and expose everything.

“Fine. Just leave the call open, I’ll wait.” Chorong said and Bomi hummed in agreement.

The call goes on while Chorong continues with her papers. She has known Bomi for so long that she’s confident that after Bomi’s quick shower, the girl will get rid of her and head to bed. As silly as it sounds, her being one scaredy-cat as well, she decided to scare Bomi once the latter join her in the call later. 

“It’ll be fun.” Chorong thought hearing Bomi exited the shower. “Bbom-ah. Are you alone right now?” She asked starting her plan to scare the younger one. 

“Of course. Do you want me to go there?” Whenever Chorong asks about Bomi’s whereabouts late at night, this is usually the case. Chorong inviting Bomi over to have some late-night snacks and late-night conversations before the latter goes back to her own room.

“No need, it’s just that I think I might have heard a boy in there.” 

“Okay first, I’m gay. Second, I’m definitely coming over.” Chorong heard everything, the keys, the door, even the footsteps on the corridor. So she ended the call and walk over to her own door to unlock them and let Bomi in.

“I hate you.” Bomi said as soon as she entered the room and made herself comfortable on Chorong’s bed.

“You don’t.” Bomi does look great in that navy lingerie, it’s been a hundred times that Chorong saw Bomi in that but this time, she’s a little more y than usual. And Chorong wonders if it’s actually a good idea that Bomi is here. Her focus sure isn’t gonna be as stable as she wanted it to be.

“Yea, I don’t. Now go back to your thing, I’ll just stay here and play this game.” Bomi said and Chorong tried her hardest to study even with such beautiful distraction present beside her.

 

 

It’s the weekend before the school trip and they were casually hanging out at the dormitory’s common room. Students often stay here in the evenings right before the curfew when they all should be back to their respective rooms to rest.

On weekends like this, the hall is packed with students from different year levels. Yet with this number of people around them, they can’t help but feel the absence of their friend, Chorong.

If Bomi knew that their little rendezvous and that night of Chorong’s study would be the last two moments they’d hang out, she wouldn’t have hassled Chorong into going back to the school as soon as they finish planning the trip and would’ve chosen to sleepover.

They do meet Chorong from time to time. She’d sit with them at lunch but usually go first because something came up. There are also times where the oldest of them can’t even finish her meal because Chorong is being summoned by the rest of the officers. Her friends sure are starting to get sulky about it,

“You’re lucky.” Hayoung told Bomi and the latter can’t really tell if it’s because the school approved (with of course the help of Park Chorong) of her blonde hair as they reasoned out it’s for the dance troupe or she’s lucky for something else. The school does favor the said club more than the others given at how much publicity they provide.

“Lucky?”

“Because you get to see Chorong after class! I’ve heard she goes to your classroom first during that stupid inspection as if someone actually does forget their stuff.” Hayoung frustratedly said clearly missing Chorong the most more than the other four.

“Hey! I do forget my bag sometimes!” Naeun felt attacked at the insult as she does have magic hands that without Eunji, she has probably lost hundreds of phones.

Bomi laughed as they all picture the times when they’d panic and look for Naeun’s bag, “Well.. if you put it that way, I do see her more than you guys.”

“Please. Even without this whole president thing Chorong unnie got, you two are like sandwiches stuck together.” Eunji joined them stating such facts. Chorong and Bomi is a set, when there’s Tom.. expect Jerry to be by her side.

“Also! From what I’ve heard, Chorong’s been really touchy with Bomi during those visits.” Namjoo started sharing gossips that none of them probably know's true except for Bomi who’s trying her hardest not to look smitten by those little acts of Chorong.

“Is she?” Hayoung turned the light of the conversation to Bomi.

“She’s always been clingy, you guys

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter