Autumn Remedy

Autumn Remedy || Yulyen

Eyes gradually fluttered open in the morning, Yena turns off her alarm that has been ringing for the past minute, ending her so-called refreshing sleep. She raised her arms upward, stretching it to welcome a new day of her life. Not thinking about anything in particular, she got off from her bed, making her way to the refrigerator and pouring cold water into her cup. A cup with duck pattern on it as it was actually a present from her girlfriend last year. She put the duck cup on the dining table then averted her gaze on her cream wall. As she looks at the hanging calendar, a gingerly smile appeared on her face, a smile that’s a bit too close to the end of September.

 

It was her day.

 

Her own birthday.

 

And it reminded her that she got a date, obviously with her girlfriend.

 

Truthfully, she just wanted to spend her birthday peacefully, a quiet and tranquil day for her desire as she finally arriving at the age of twenty one. She’s at that age to reflect on things she has done for the past year, and what’s ahead for her to strive for. But her younger girlfriend with two years of gap, insisted to go for a date, saying it’s just happening once a year and have to be properly celebrated.

 

She couldn’t say no to her girlfriend’s sweetness.

 

So she quickly took a shower, taking her time while drenching her body with the lavender soap she loves. Opening the closet, choosing her outfit to wear as they were going to eat breakfast together in the girlfriend’s home, before they go to their real date; an amusement park.

 

She slipped her white sneakers on, leaving the slippers on the shoe rack just beside her oaken door. Once outside, she took her phone out, making a call to her girlfriend to announce that she’s on her way there. But the called girlfriend didn’t pick the line right away, causing Yena to narrow her eyes because it was unusual. Her girlfriend usually wakes up early whenever they have a date on. So she tried to make a call again and finally the other side picked it up.

 

“Good morning, Yuri-yah! Were you still sleeping? I’m sorry if I wake you up,” Yena greeted happily, anticipating her girl to greet her back.

 

“Good morning to you *cough* too, Yena…” the girlfriend coughed along the line, and Yena recognizes her voice sounds huskier and raspier than she normally do in the morning.

 

“Was that a cough just now? Are you sick??” she questioned, face turning full with concern.

 

Y-yeah… *cough* I think I couldn’t go out today, Yena,” Yuri declared, her voice sounding too hoarse from all the talking. “But I want you to come here and take the tickets *cough*, you can ask Yujin or Chaewon, or maybe Eunbi-unnie *cough* to go with you to the amusement park.”

 

Yena’s heart clenched, swept away from the autumn breeze and by what her girlfriend just told her to do. No. “Just… wait for me and I’ll be there, okay?”

 

She hung up the call and set off right away. The air was cold, another breeze made its way waving Yena’s magenta hair playfully with the fragrance of earth. Humble boldness mixed in gold and scarlet leaves on trees bewitched her vision. Watching the natural art in her eyes, her mind wandered, having a thought that she and her girlfriend are in those colors. She is the amber. While Yuri is the saffron, radiating warmth and happiness combined from passionate red with the cheerfulness of yellow.

 

All Yena’s thoughts inevitably caused her to miss the lover even more, so she began to step up her pace to the bus stop, getting on one but didn’t go to Yuri’s place at once. She made a stop at a certain shop, buying things before she finally find her way to her real destination.

 

Once arrived, she inputted the door’s password herself while carrying a plastic bag in her other hand. She would ring the bell and being all polite if Yuri wasn’t sick. They have dated for two years and both agreed to entrust their password to each other last year, just in case some situation happened, like now.

 

Still carrying the plastic bag, she came inside the place. Taking off her sneakers, slipping on slippers then turning on the light since it was still off, indicating her girlfriend hasn’t gotten up from bed yet. She entered the girlfriend’s room just to find her assumption was right. Yuri was still on bed, lying weakly with eyes closed. Yena put the plastic bag on the floor, leaving noises to flinch Yuri’s ears, causing the girl to slowly open her heavy eyes.

 

Yena’s hand trailed over Yuri’s hand before it moves to her cheek and forehead. Yuri’s body was so warm in Yena’s skin. And the girl put a weary smile at the sight of her girlfriend who gently checked her like she was a fine precious treasure, but a fragile one so needed to be as soft as ever with one’s touch.

 

“I’ll make something for you in a bit, you rest up more, alright?” Yena speaks so tenderly with her thumb slightly Yuri’s cheek.

 

The sick girl could only make a bedridden nod.

 

Yena left the girlfriend’s side to the kitchen, busying herself with the things she has carried over. She took out a mortar and pestle from the lower section of the cupboard, right after she chopped some herbs that she brought earlier, into tiny pieces. Remembering what her mom usually gave her whenever she falls sick with fever and coughs back then, the current Yena was trying to make a medicinal soup for Yuri. It was traditional but effective for a cure rather than taking usual medicine.

 

After what seemed like ten minutes of boiling the soup full with herbs, Yena pour it on a bowl and take it to Yuri’s room immediately. She carefully opened the door and sit just on the edge of the bed, putting the bowl away to help Yuri to sit up before taking the bowl back.

 

Yuri who was sitting glanced her eyes to the bowl with steams on it slowly dissolves into air. “What is *cough* this? Did you make this?”

 

A solid nod came from Yena, answering Yuri’s question. “It’s a medicine soup and you should take this to get better. C’mon, open your mouth…” she demanded, blowing a spoon of the soup as it was still burning hot, making sure it wouldn’t burn her girlfriend’s tongue.

 

Without a doubt even in the slightest, Yuri opened , swallowing a spoonful of what Yena gave her. Her face went straight bitter from the after taste inside . She lets out a small grunt. “This is… a bowl of death. It’s *cough* so bitter, oh my God!”

 

Hearing her girlfriend’s comment made Yena laughs in instant. “Sorry I should have warned you, honey,” she apologized but her face still grinning.

 

“And you expect me to finish this all..?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Yuri lets out a groan followed by sigh but complied to accept her fate to take the bowl of death, although it’s choking her every taste buds from the unpleasant flavor. After finishing the medicinal soup, Yena took out the bowl to the kitchen then bring something else back to Yuri’s room. It was a snack that she has brought along, a pack of small cookies inside, Yuri’s favorite snack.

 

“You have done well in taking the soup, here I brought you something to ease the taste,” Yena opened the cookie’s packaging cautiously, feeding the cookie to Yuri’s mouth who automatically open even without being told to.

 

The girl chewed the cookie while her lips turned upward and that’s how Yuri melted, by the sweet flavor of the snack and at Yena’s thoughtful side. Melting at the simple things that her girlfriend did for her, she can’t get enough of Yena’s love that has been poured like an endless waterfall since the first time they met.

 

Yuri feels so loved and so in love.

 

“Anyway, the amusement park tickets are there… You can go now,” Yuri pointed at the desk on left side of her bed.

 

But Yena shook her head quickly, “I won’t go anywhere else today.”

 

“Yena, don’t waste it please, you should enjoy yourself too,” Yuri insisted, she stubbornly trying to convince the girl to go, simply because it’s her day.

 

“Are you telling me that I don’t enjoy myself here? Because that’s totally wrong. Look at me, Yuri-yah. I always enjoy our time together, even if it’s just us chilling at home while one of us is sick. I want to cherish every second we are together so I will stay with you here until you get better. My decision is final and you can’t change this,” Yena shed every bits of her while she talks from the deepest pit of her heart.

 

Yuri feels very touched by the words, all what Yena said moved her into some heavenly place full of light of hope. Allowing her soul to fly freely even without wing, to the single road called as happiness without a way to turn back.

 

“Yena… can you get closer here?”

 

Yena was confused but obliged to do what her girlfriend asked. Then she felt her neck being draped by tiny but delicate hand while her right cheek being brushed by a pair of hot and soft lips for quite a moment, sending her calm heart to race in uneven beat at the sudden movement and tingling sensation.

 

The moment ended when Yuri pulled away her head then tucks her blonde hair in her ear. Her cheeks getting all warmer than it already have from the fever.  She locked Yena’s eyes in hers and brings herself to muster some words to her sweet girlfriend.

 

“Thank you for the soup. Thank you for giving me delicious food while I’m sick. Thank you for caring, loving, and always being here with me. Yena… your presence is like a remedy, healing me and giving me a lot of strength, really. Happiest birthday to you, Choi Yena. You don’t know how happy I am right now to be able to be with you. I’ll be by your side in your next birthday, and even in next next birthday too. I wish that we can stay like this for a long time, I love you so damn much.”

 

A single tear escaped from Yena’s eye, the way Yuri poured her feelings never fails to bring joy into her life, forcing her to love the girl even deeper than how she already fallen.

 

 

 

 

“I love you so damn much too.”

 

“Oh how I wish I could capture your lips right now instead of your cheek.”

 

“But you can’t because you don’t want me to catch your sickness?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“You owe me a real kiss once you get better later then, but no rush, I could wait here all day and night.”

 

“Imbecile.”

 

 

A/N: Hi y’all! Yuri’s message for Yena’s birthday shot me an idea and voila, here I am finally sending a bowl of fluff here after a long time not writing a short oneshot like this LOL

Anyway I hope you all enjoyed this one, I shall take my leave again because I’m still focusing writing on my ongoing book as well. So thanks for reading and see you again!