fin.

Flatsound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Excuse me? Is Flatsound still open?”

 

Kang Seulgi was surprised when she gets a customer in the middle of the evening of New Year’s Eve. Spending her time in her own little business from the morning---with her laptop hooked to the shop’s sound system and bass blasting in the headphones that are connected to her ears thinking that--- since it’s New Years eve no one’s probably looking out for a coffee and yet… a customer walks in and witnesses her--- jamming her own mixes blasting at the Flatsound.

 

Quickly detaching the headphones from her ears, she quickly plugs off the wire connecting to the shops sound system and entertains the customer.

 

Despite the chilly season, her face heats up because of embarrassment. “Yes, we’re still open, come here”

 

The customer looks around the empty Flatsound meanwhile Seulgi approaches the counter- bringing the laptop with her. Composing herself, she finally hears the door chimes that’s when she knows that the customer steps inside the Flatsound.

 

“Is Flatsound almost closing? I mean I plan to-“

 

“N-no! Not yet, but maybe in…” Seulgi pauses to check the time on her wrist. “In two hours I guess.”

 

There was a relief on the customer's face and throws Seulgi a small smile “God, thanks. You know, most coffee shops in the neighborhood were already closed and thank god I found Flatsound”

 

Seulgi returns a smile, then scratches the back of her neck- feeling a little embarrassed when she was fully able to check out the girl who turned out to be shockingly pretty and say adorably cute because of that green clip that’s attached near the top of her forehead. The girl was also bundled up in a puffy winter coat and a lovely green scarf that draws the attention to her eyes.

 

“Well… I’m sorry too, for the scene earlier. Wasn’t expecting anyone to come in especially this night of holiday.” Seulgi then notices the snowflakes scatter around the pretty girl and when she looks outside- a smile creeps in - it is finally snowing.

 

“What can I get you?”

 

The pretty customer beams and turns a solid attention to Seulgi and approaches her to the counter. Closing their distance, making Seulgi unintentionally observes every little detail of pretty customer's features… and actions especially when the pretty customer shivers and tries to warm her hand by rubbing the palms over her thighs. Concerned about it, Seulgi's hand quickly searches to switch on the heater and earns a quick yet genuine "thanks" and a simple smile from the pretty customer.

 

"I’d love to have Pumpkin Spice Latte. Venti. Only 3 pumps and oh give me an extra shot of espresso to end the year." Seulgi nods and hides her smile.

 

Most of the time, Seulgi doesn't really pay attention to one's beauty but the customer who is standing in front of her is really breathtaking effortless. Even the way the pretty customer walks to approach the counter is like waltzing in Seulgi's eyes. The clicking of the boots add rhythm as if there's an imaginary soft classical music playing in the background.

 

Recovering herself, Seulgi bravely enough to meet the pretty customer's gaze on her. "Usually I ask for customer's name but since…" Seulgi scan the area- gosh she just really wanted to know the customer's name- and yet she'll make it obvious to the pretty customer. "You are the only one here, I'd assume that you know the next drink for you.. or…" A playful smirk lingers at the corner of Seulgi's mouth.

 

"Or?" The pretty customer is intrigued but also mirroring the smirk that was displayed on Seulgi's lip.

 

 

Seulgi tries to play innocent, "Or do you still want to give your name."

 

Seulgi couldn't believe what she's saying and amazes at the fact that she somehow turned the table just like that because the pretty customer pretty much understands the hint and laughs.

 

"Perhaps, are you flirting with me now?"

 

Seulgi's casual shrug is only the response.

 

The pretty customer laughter goes down and settles with a small smile and a shakes in head. "You're lucky that it's normal for coffee shops to ask for customer's name."

 

Seulgi leans forward to the counter- inching closer to the pretty customer's face. "So…"

 

A fingertip playfully pushes her forehead and Seulgi draws back- watching the pretty customer's back making its way to the chosen seat.

 

Seulgi watches the customer takes off the winter coat- hanging it beside the nearest chair. Now Seulgi can fully see how tiny and small the pretty customer's body with only a simple V neck navy blue sweatshirt and a crop jeans. Seulgi finds herself waiting for the customer's name, no- she should be now doing her work in the counter but here she is--- staring shamelessly at the pretty customer. The pretty customer notices it, and chuckles before surrendering at her "It's Irene. My name's Irene." And Seulgi wants to jump high and punches the air in victory but instead all she could do was idiotically smiles back at Irene.

 

Seulgi then proceeds to work, a playful smirk appears on her lips when she starts to write something on the cup. It's not longer when she see from peripheral vision that Irene is again approaching her and when she looks up- Irene looks embarrassed for unknown reason.

 

"Gosh. I forgot to pay" Irene hands the card to her to which Seulgi stares and waves it off.

 

"Tell you what, Irene" Actually something crazy is working in Seulgi's mind... leave the fact that she also forgot about the payment- and it is so unusual for her to be like this! Seulgi had never flirted to anyone this fast! Never had she flirted to Flatsound's customer and never offered anything on the house!

 

This could be what people call the now or never confidence even though a part of her still worries about the rejection as soon as the offer leaves .

 

Anyway Seulgi still offered especially when Irene's eyes looking at her curiously as if the pretty customer is also interested.

 

"Have a nice little conversation with me, say like… answer my questions and you can do the same to me and it's on the house"

 

Irene eyes positively glow and puts back the card inside the purse. A good sign. "Sure. That'd be awesome. And questions like?"

 

Seulgi thinks as she does her work, and when she's done, ending with theatrical flourish that hoping Irene would find endearing and she's not disappointed. Seulgi says this as she hands the drink "Hmm maybe… like what is your favorite color and what zodiac sign? Anyway, I'm Seulgi"

 

Irene laughs as she takes the drink. Seulgi doesn't know if Irene laughed because on the way Seulgi comically bowed or is it because the way the questions are lame.

 

Anyway, again… Seulgi watches Irene goes back to her seat and watches her as she enjoys the drink. She watches Irene's face as she takes a sip and pretty brown eyes closed briefly in unconsciously pleasure. There was nothing quite matched the feeling when watching someone enjoys drinking the Flatsound offers.

 

Satisfied, Seulgi darts back behind the counter and refill the americano for herself. She sets her elbow down as she enjoys the smells of the drink until she hears Irene groans and draws back her attention to the pretty customer.

 

"Oh god. If I remember my name is Irene. Goddess of Peace? Haha! Really???"

 

Irene is laughing- eyes are glued as if admiring the letters written on the cup. It was Seulgi's turn to laugh. She just enjoys the sight. How can someone be so pretty by just holding a cup of latte? Just… how can someone do that effortless?

 

"Is it your way of hitting on your customers?" Irene maliciously asks her and Seulgi cooly shrugs.

 

"First of all, I don't really flirt but I'll take tonight as my first."

 

Seulgi saw Irene nods as if she understands but obviously she can tell that Irene's not convinced with still Irene's eyes glued at the cup. It's pretty disrespectful somehow to Seulgi whenever Irene was not looking at her eyes when they started talking, but she wouldn't blame Irene, both of them are still much pretty strangers to each other so Seulgi's trying to knock it off. Also, she thinks she's pretty safe and functions well if Irene's not looking intently at her. Irene has that power to make you malfunctioned and speechless.

 

"So what's your last name?" Irene asks her this time.

 

The laughter went died. Irene head tilts seriously looking at her. Seulgi almost choked her drink at the sudden intent gaze boring her. "K-Kang." Seulgi manages to answer in the between her chokes.

 

Seulgi doesn't miss the way Irene brows knit in worry "Are you okay?" And she tells Irene she's fine, straightening her posture.

 

Irene stops whatever she's doing and carefully checks Seulgi from table. Now, she's much pretty convinced.

 

"It's purple. My favorite color" she hears Irene suddenly says and Seulgi beams.

 

 

"Purple is a nice color. Mine is Orange."

 

"And I'm an Aries… and my last name is Bae"

 

Seulgi ooh-ed before she leans in- narrowing her eyes to Irene. "So… you're a stubborn woman, Bae Irene"

 

Irene laughs because of this. "I'm pretty much like that and you?"

 

Seulgi beams again "I'm an Aquarius. People says Aquarius woman are friendly and mysterious. Don't you think?"

 

Irene’s head tilts, and nods as if understanding it. "Hmm maybe you are friendly…" Then a smirk appears on Irene lips, "... and flirty at a sudden and out of control, maybe?. That makes you as an Aquarius- a mysterious."

 

Seulgi groans at the comment. She feels that even though Irene mistook her for being a flirt and wants to say she is not… Seulgi is also tight-lipped when it comes about her being out of control. Before Seulgi can speak, she can see Irene's eyes scan the area as if searching for something

 

"Where did the music go? I swear there's a music playing when I came in earlier."

 

Seulgi quickly panic… "Oh Irene… sorry about again earlier. I wasn't expecting anybody so I kinda played with the Flatsound sound-system. Sorry, I'll put on some Christmas music"

 

Seulgi is about to head to the audio booth when Irene waves off her arm. "Nah it's fine. Whatever playing before is good. I liked it."

 

There is a discomfort in Seulgi's face "Are you sure? It will spoil the mood though."

 

Irene nods enthusiastically with a smile before taking a sip, "Yeah it is fine. I liked it."

 

There is a blush creeping up in Seulgi's cheeks now. It is Seulgi's own lofi mix beats. The one she was playing earlier had a chill but lonely beats. 

 

Seulgi finds herself bringing up her laptop, searching the files, re-plugging the sound-system and clicking the "play" button. There it goes, her mix begins to play. It is a hip hop beat but with less bass that Seulgi purposely made it in hope for people to possibly feel nostalgia and positive yet to relax the listener's emotions. Unknowingly to Seulgi, she is slowly getting carried away from the mix, swaying her head slowly. But her eyes muses to Irene who seems pretty much relaxed on her seat. A small smile appears on her lips when Irene eyes slowly closed and soon she joins.

 

They hear the music

They fall in love with the music

You'll meet the person that loves the music

And you'll go head over heels at that person.

 

Seulgi opens her eyes- that person is sitting across the table. She smiles.

 

"It is one of my mixes. Have you ever heard of lofi music? I like the way it sound here in Flatsound. It came out super dope with all the sound-system here."

 

Irene finally opens her eyes, "Wait. You made this?" Irene asks her , mix of disbelief and awe colouring her words. Seulgi casually nods.

 

"Wow Seulgi. That's really amazing."

 

Honestly, Seulgi doesn't like her mix to be heard on the public or by someone. She only keeps it for herself. What was she doing? Seulgi wants to smack her head upside but after hearing Irene says that…. she is willingly to flex all of her produced mix beats and let it be heard by Irene.

 

"So what brings you here at the Flatsound this night of New Years Eve?" Seulgi asks, glancing at Irene before returning her attention to her mug.

 

Seulgi can see Irene heaves a deep sigh, those pretty hands absentmindedly runs atop the handle of the cup- not even bother looking at Seulgi- Irene's attention wanders in the drink.

 

"I attended a friend's party who lives in this neighborhood then I like coffee & tea and I suddenly crave for it. So here I am at the Flatsound"

 

"I hope you're pretty much sober now? A coffee after alcohol seems trouble in stomach"

 

Seulgi asks with a hint of concern. Irene smiles and waves off her hands. "Y-yeah I'm fine, don't worry. I only had a few shots. At my age I can only finish one bottle of soju unlike before I could finish up to five bottles until my senses knocked down. God. Thinking about it those times were seriously embarrassing." Irene is chuckling before she could even finishes her sentence.

Seulgi is slightly shocked that the pretty customer talks a lot this time.

 

"So you're a party people huh?" Seulgi asks, slightly teasing.

 

She can see Irene shrugs off as if it's not a big deal. Seulgi takes a sip of her americano and continues, "Tell you what Irene, I am not a party person. People , drunk people even harder."

 

That statement makes Irene laugh. "So I ? Kang Seulgi." Irene's brow playfully raises shot to her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter