chihuahua

the moon has never glowed this color

A/N: Please don’t expect anything in-depth here lore-wise. There’s no blood feud or anything between the two races. They’re just two immortal college students fumbling around. I’m just here to serve you some fluff ;_; hope you understand.


 

That one night of friendly banter and surprising chemistry becomes a catalyst for Joohyun and Seungwan to gradually shift from mere acquaintances to friends. They begin to chat casually when they’re both awake and in the same room, sharing harmless gossip about their circles and trading random information about each other like a verbal slam-book. Joohyun even asks Seungwan about the songs she’s been listening to, and she ends up with a new playlist filled with ballads and R&B on her phone; Seungwan has surprisingly good music taste.
 

Studying and cramming homework aren't the only reasons why Seungwan stays up late anymore; sometimes she stays up to spend time with Joohyun and watch movies with her. Joohyun wishes to do the same, but the sun is a , and blackout curtains fail to dull its weakening effect on her body. She begrudgingly admits that werewolves are superior in that aspect. If only the sun were made of silver…
 

Tonight, they finally get to spend a few hours together after two weeks of practically-death-inducing final examinations. They’re lying on their tummies on Joohyun’s bed – because Joohyun insists that Seungwan’s puppy smell is far too distracting if they were to use the latter’s bed – with Seungwan munching on chips and Joohyun drinking from a strawberry blood juice box.
 

And after two weeks of academic torture, Son Seungwan has the absolute gall to play the Twilight Series on her laptop.
 

Fine, it’s not her fault. They’ve been going through all the vampire/werewolf movies Hollywood dares to produce and this is the last of their kind.
 

But still.
 

“This is ridiculous.”
 

“You’ve said that for the seventh time,” remarks Seungwan offhandedly.
 

“Do I look like I glitter to you?”
 

"It's sparkle, unnie," Seungwan corrects playfully, turning to Joohyun and tilting her head to the side in contemplation. “Maybe if you stepped out into the sun...”
 

“Ha-ha.” Joohyun bares her teeth and Seungwan smirks.
 

“You’ll enjoy it more if you don’t take it too seriously.”
 

“I wish they’d make more of those Underworld movies,” Joohyun mutters.
 

“You want us to be lovers instead of enemies?” teases Seungwan, eyebrows wiggling suggestively.
 

Joohyun jabs her in the ribs and turns back to the film, glad she will never be caught blushing.

 

***

 

They painstakingly get through New Moon with only a few snide murmurs from Joohyun (resulting in amused chuckles from Seungwan) before they agree on calling it a night. Seungwan shuts her laptop and begins to quickly swipe at Joohyun’s bed for crumbs, as she always does. Joohyun doesn’t pay her any mind, not until she notices how Seungwan isn’t only brushing off crumbs, but – picking up strands of hair?
 

“…What are you doing?”
 

Seungwan stands ramrod-straight, face guilty. “Uh.”
 

Joohyun simply stares, waiting.
 

Seungwan sighs. “I just…the fur. Or hair. I figured you meant both.”
 

Joohyun scrunches her eyebrows, perplexed, until it comes to her as clear as night. “No- I- I was joking when I said that.”
 

This seems to be news to Seungwan, and Joohyun feels like an . “Oh.”
 

“Sorry,” Joohyun says sincerely, “did I scare you?”
 

Seungwan’s eyes go comically round. “Well, yeah! I mean…not so much anymore, but before I thought you’d drain me in my sleep if I shed in your territory.”
 

Joohyun wrinkles her nose. “Psh. Your blood isn’t appealing to me at all, wolfie.”
 

Seungwan looks relieved to hear it. “Thank god, buuuut you can still rip my throat out, you know? And I haven’t even graduated college once yet.”
 

Joohyun rolls her eyes. “Don’t worry. I won’t bite you in your sleep as long as you don’t make me watch the last two Twilight movies.”


"There are actually three more of them."


"...Fantastic."

 

***

 

Walking back home from campus after attending several sets of lectures,  Joohyun mentally runs through her list of homework, deciding whether any of them are in dire need of attention tonight. She halts in her tracks when she hears a distant chorus of howls, gaze flying to the huge, full moon lighting her way and overpowering the streetlamps.
 

Seungwan.
 

So that’s why she was making a ruckus this morning, organizing and cleaning like she needed those activities to breathe. She’s used to Seungwan’s cycle oddities, but only truly connects the dots when she comes face-to-face with a full moon and an empty bed beside her. Seungwan said that she and her pack take to one of the forests miles away from the city proper, far from civilization and possible curious eyes.
 

In minutes, Joohyun arrives home and finds Seungwan’s bed empty, but her smell sticks to the room, much more potent than usual. And it will get stronger once she comes back in the break of dawn. Joohyun’s never been able to stay up long enough to see her return, always drifting off no matter how hard she tries (Seungwan teases her for it, insisting she must be a millennium old).
 

Still, Joohyun keeps at it. Because she’s come to care for her roommate, her friend. She knows there are wolves out there that stray from their humanity and let their animal instincts take over when they turn, endangering others in the process.
 

She lies on her bed after doing some homework, listening to one of the many playlists Seungwan had made for her as she tries to stay awake, but alas, Joohyun dozes off just as the clock strikes five.
 

She wakes hours later when it’s already dark out, turning her head to find Seungwan’s bed still empty.
 

However, a small smile graces her lips, because Seungwan’s smell lingers in the room, far stronger than it had been last night.
 

It’s oddly comforting, but she’ll never admit it.
 

At least not yet.

 

***

 

“How big are you?”
 

Seungwan stops dead in her tracks, their joined hands forcing Joohyun backward against her. “…Excuse me?”
 

Joohyun rolls her eyes, as if Seungwan was the strange one. “In wolf form,” she elaborates. “Are you like a golden retriever or – bahaha – a chihuahua?”
 

Seungwan looks affronted. “Shut up! I’m big! Bigger than my human form!”
 

“Yeah, that’s not a lot to go by.” Joohyun snickers, pulling Seungwan along so they can resume walking around the movie theater.
 

Seungwan’s eye twitches and it just feeds Joohyun’s amusement further. “You can see when I turn again. Or I can shift now. I’ll break a few laws but it will be worth it.”
 

“Let’s not get you jailed, yeah? Maybe you can just take a selfie.” Joohyun snorts indelicately.
 

“You’re so annoying! Just for that I’m going to shed on your bed!”
 

Joohyun gapes at the girl beside her. “Don’t you dare,” she hisses, even as her eyes give away her mirth.
 

“Seungwan?”
 

The two of them pause again, turning to the owner of the voice. A girl walks up to them, a bit taller than average, strikingly pretty, and definitely a wolf.
 

“Hi, Sooyoung,” Seungwan greets with comfortable familiarity.
 

Sooyoung flits her eyes back and forth between the two of them, far-too assessing than Joohyun prefers.
 

“Sooyoung, this is my roommate, Joohyun. Joohyun, this is Sooyoung, one of my very annoying best friends,” says Seungwan casually, even as as her spine straightens almost imperceptibly, like she’s nervous. Or preparing for an ambush.
 

And maybe for good reason, if the sparkle of mischief in Sooyoung’s eyes is of any indication. “Ahhh…” she draws out. “Seungwannie wasn’t lying.”
 

“Yah,” Seungwan warns.
 

Still, Joohyun bites, more than a little curious about how Seungwan’s been describing her to her friends. “About what?”
 

Joohyun jerks back in surprise when Seungwan suddenly tries to wrestle Sooyoung to the ground, even though she’s holding a huge tub of popcorn in one hand and has Joohyun’s hand in the other. Neither of which she lets go of. And even if she did, something tells Joohyun that she’s never really won the upper hand against her friend, no matter the seniority.
 

Sooyoung barely has to bat her hands away, focusing her gaze on Joohyun as she answers her question. “Seungwannie didn’t lie about how pretty you are.” Her smile is playful, predatory yet warm, somehow making it work.
 

Their stare-down (is it a stare-down?) is broken by an annoyed shove from Seungwan – who’s finally decided Joohyun’s hand is worth releasing for this – pushing Sooyoung a few steps back. “I’m going to kill you in the next full moon, Park Sooyoung.”
 

Sooyoung merely laughs, patting Seungwan on the head like she’s done it a thousand times. “That’s what you get for calling me ‘annoying,’ unnie. Nice to meet you, Joohyun.” And then she’s gone, as if she was never there, but Seungwan’s ears are an adorable shade of red, and she’s not looking Joohyun in the eye.
 

“Pretty, huh?” remarks Joohyun, despite her head feeling like it’s floating up the stars and her heart thudding some sort of phantom rhythm.
 

Steam just about spills from Seungwan’s ears, and she almost stutters her way into a coma.
 

Taking pity on her, Joohyun holds her hand again, taking the time to slowly intertwine their fingers together and squeezing. It’s enough of a statement as it is, but Joohyun thinks Seungwan deserves a little more than that.
 

“Thank you,” she murmurs. Clears . “For the record, I told my friends you’re pretty too. …And cute.”
 

Seungwan gapes.
 

“For a chihuahua.” Laughing, Joohyun drags the whiplashed Seungwan to the corresponding cinema. “Come on, we’re going to be late and I really like watching the trailers.”

 


A/N: I apologize to Twilight. A little.

Me writing this chapter: why do I keep vomiting ty dialogue can they just get together already I only said two chapters!!! But fine they’re cute let’s just make them banter…

So yeah another one’s gonna come out and I swear it’ll be the last (not considering a possible epilogue?)

Thank you for all your comments and upvotes and stuffs! I swear I didn’t expect that people would be interested in this as much. :’)