epilogue: maybe the night holds a little hope for us, dear

the moon has never glowed this color

Living with a vampire as a roommate definitely has its quirks. Eventually though, you get used to it, to the constant supply of blood bags in your fridge next to your yogurt, to the plunging darkness of daylight due to the blackout curtains, as well as the unmistakable stench of iron that never really goes away.
 

But living with your vampire girlfriend?
 

It’s definitely quirky, a little maddening, but Seungwan’s honestly never been happier.
 

Every day she gets to wake up and see her girlfriend (girlfriend!!!) sleeping on the bed next to hers, heart thudding at the small smile gracing Joohyun’s lips even in slumber – or biting back a chuckle when Joohyun’s mouth is open, drool evident on her pillow. Either way, Joohyun is cute and Seungwan is so terribly in love with her.
 

Some nights, Joohyun lays in bed with her, cuddling close and tangling their legs together. With the feel of Joohyun’s skin against hers, gentle breaths teasing her neck, it’s infinitely harder for Seungwan to leave her bed.
 

She enjoys the sun while Joohyun is asleep, studying on the neatly-trimmed campus grounds or playing a myriad of sports with her friends. Against her will, her eyes gravitate towards the couples holding hands outdoors, wishing she could do the same with Joohyun. She wants to take her to picnics in the park, have dates in places that close before dark, but she can’t, and her heart stings with disappointment.
 

She tries to come home before dusk, taking a quick shower before settling in beside a sleeping Joohyun, waiting for that telltale sign of her waking up: fluttering lashes, a full-body stretch, and a sudden tug at the edge of her shirt for her attention. Seungwan takes her eyes off her laptop or book to smile at a squinting Joohyun, leaning down to give her a soft kiss goodnight. Or more than a few, and then some.
 

To be able to do things like these with Joohyun, with someone she utterly loves, the sun becomes a distant memory. She wouldn’t trade everything she’s able to do with Joohyun for the world, and she hopes Joohyun feels the same way about her.

 

***

 

Seungwan used to think that werewolves were the most territorial species, with their scent-marking and mate-claiming duels to the death, but Bae Joohyun can really give them a run for their money.
 

“I’m gonna go play some football with Sooyoung and the others,” Seungwan informs Joohyun one evening, the latter home early studying for her exams.
 

Joohyun stops highlighting the page of her book, furrows her brows but doesn’t say a word.
 

“It’s a full moon tonight,” Seungwan explains, rocking back on her heels, already having difficulty keeping still.
 

“Do you like Sooyoung?”
 

“…What?”
 

“You only mentioned her.
 

Seungwan blinks in confusion. “Yeah, because she’s the only one you know. You’ll meet the rest of the pack next week, remember?”
 

“Right.”
 

“What?”
 

“Nothing.”
 

Joohyun.
 

Joohyun stabs her highlighter on the book, the ink blotting. “You always smile when you mention her,” she mutters. “She makes you happy.”
 

“Okay, that’s not-”
 

“She can play sports with you all day and not burn to ashes.”
 

And there it is. The thing that plagues them both but somehow refuse to talk about.
 

Seungwan stands still for a few moments, thoughts racing; she realizes she’s not the only one who wishes for some things to be different. But it hurts, to not be trusted. For her feelings to be thought of as something so shallow.
 

She takes a deep breath, trying to calm herself. “Sure,” she begins, voice thick, “the only problem is I don’t love her. I love you. Even if you think so little of my feelings, they’re for you. Only you.”
 

She doesn’t wait for a response, high-tailing it out of there before she does something stupid, like cry or tear a pillow to shreds.
 

The flash of heartbreaking regret in Joohyun’s face is the last thing she sees before she leaves.

 

***

 

Hours later, Seungwan quietly unlocks the door to their apartment, careful not to wake Joohyun. She’s taking off her well-worn, muddy sneakers when a sudden voice gets a squeak of surprise out of her.
 

“Still no selfie?”
 

Eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness, she sees Joohyun lying on the bed and very-much awake, her thick purple blanket pulled up to her chin.
 

“You’re awake…”
 

“It’s too cold,” mumbles Joohyun as she sits up a little, fingers unconsciously tugging on her sheets – a sign that she’s nervous.
 

Seungwan aches to crawl to her and hug her tight, but their argument just a few hours prior plays in her mind, rooting her to the spot.
 

“…That was an invitation for you to warm me up, you know,” Joohyun says hesitantly, looking mildly embarrassed.
 

It takes several seconds for Seungwan to react to that, and Joohyun’s just about to rip through the bedding, but her feet finally move, and she dips one knee on Joohyun’s bed, uncertain. She’s pulled through the rest of the way by clammy hands, and suddenly she finds herself pressed onto Joohyun’s front, the other girl releasing a shudder of relief.
 

Seungwan closes her eyes, inhaling the scent of Joohyun’s hair, feeling her body finally relax. She turns both of them to the side, and Joohyun quickly buries her face into her neck, humming quietly.
 

“How can vampires feel cold?” she murmurs teasingly into her hair, tightening her arms around her.
 

She feels Joohyun shrug petulantly, coaxing a smile out of her.
 

“You are an anomaly.” She’s barely taken another breath when fingers creep underneath her hoodie to press against her tummy in retaliation, making her yelp at the sudden touch of cold.
 

Seungwan’s about to crack another joke when an “I’m sorry,” is mumbled against her skin, and she immediately knows it’s not an apology for the cold press of her fingers. The heavy weight of what’s been said and done returns.
 

She freezes in Joohyun’s arms, just a bit, but it makes Joohyun pull away to look at her. Her eyes are full of remorse and doubt and sadness and it makes Seungwan’s chest ache.
 

“I’m sorry,” Joohyun repeats, voice soft but strong.
 

Her heart melts, appreciating the apology, but Seungwan has honestly forgiven her hours ago, from the very moment she slammed the door shut as she left their room. “It’s okay,” she replies. “Really.”
 

“No, I shouldn’t have said what I said.” Joohyun looks down, eyes closing briefly. “It’s just…you’re so beautiful, and-”
 

“Huh? Me?” Seungwan asks in disbelief.
 

Joohyun meets her gaze, eyes flashing like a storm threatening to wreak havoc. “I hate that you’re so surprised. Yes, you are, Seungwan-ah. You’re beautiful, and funny, and smart, and incredibly caring. And you deserve the world – not just the twelve hours that I’m able to give you.”
 

Despite the heavy weight of what Joohyun is implying, Seungwan breathes out a laugh. “Unnie, how can you not believe that you’re it for me? You like how I’m too warm, you laugh – no, cackle – at all my stupid jokes, and underneath your piercing, icy vampire façade, you’re just as caring as I am, maybe more.
 

“So what if we can’t go out in the sun together? Why fixate on the sun when I can watch a thousand other stars in the sky with you?”
 

She lets the words hang in the air between them, hoping that Joohyun listens – trusts her enough to do so. But if not, then she will just have to prove it to her every day after, because twelve hours with Joohyun is better than an entire day with somebody else.
 

A myriad of emotions flits across Joohyun’s face, but the happiness remains. It remains in her smile, the sudden rush of tears in her eyes, but Seungwan feels it all in the softness of her lips when Joohyun pulls her in for a passionate kiss, their previously-unspoken worries dissolving into something beatable, conquerable.
 

Seungwan noses at her neck, pulling Joohyun underneath her and pressing their bodies together, earning herself a moan and a desperate scrabble of nails across her back. Joohyun tugs her up so their lips meet again, fusing ice and fire and everything in-between.
 

Moments later, when Seungwan is trying to catch her breath and Joohyun is just about to drift off, blissfully content and definitely warmed up, Joohyun sleepily murmurs against her, “You’re it for me too, Seungwan – just in case you didn’t know. Just in case I’ve failed at trying to show you.”
 

Dawn breaks over as Seungwan beams, tangling their legs together. “Of course you haven’t. That’s wonderful. Great. Awesome. I love you.”
 

Joohyun smiles back, struggling to stay awake long enough to respond with an “I love you too.”
 

They both doze off together, dreams filled with hope and a starry forever.

 

***

 

Joohyun meets Seungwan’s pack in one of those open-for-everyone pubs the week after, and she finds herself enjoying the rowdy company of the wolves. They love to tease Seungwan beyond reason, and Joohyun is amused by the gradual reddening of her girlfriend’s face caused by more than just the infinite flow of alcohol to their table. However, it’s quite clear where Seungwan stands in the pack – the way other people’s eyes flock to her friendly-yet-powerful aura – how she simply allows her friends to because she loves them.
 

One of them – Yerim, she recalls – tugs Seungwan up to play a row of darts. “Let’s see if your aim’s gotten as lucky as your heart,” she quips, winking at Joohyun.
 

Seungwan drags her feet, whining about how she’s going to embarrass herself in front of her girlfriend, but Joohyun helps in pushing her forward, a bit curious as well. Maybe she can help her out if she’s terrible at it, and they can have a moment to themselves. Not that she’s getting tired of the company, but there’s always a yearning in Joohyun’s gut to be near Seungwan, to touch her and elicit a few compelling sounds from her, even while her friends are merely a few feet away.
 

…Aaand maybe her blood alcohol levels have gone over the threshold.
 

It’s no matter, if the way Seungwan’s fingers drag across her skin as she pulls her with her to the dartboard is any indication, the way her eyes linger on hers before she’s distracted by the darts Yerim s at her face.
 

Joohyun’s calculating the minimum number of minutes they can stay without being rude when Sooyoung bumps her shoulder with hers, eyes sparkling as if she knows exactly what’s occupying Joohyun’s thoughts. “Here.” Sooyoung hands her a photograph, eyes darting to Seungwan, who’s stretching and throwing practice aims like the dork she is.
 

Although the lighting is quite dark, it’s unmistakably a picture of a huge werewolf sleeping peacefully underneath an oak tree, tail tucked near its face. “Is this…?”
 

“Yep. Seungwan’s been grumbling about how you called her a chihuahua, so maybe this will help. I didn’t take the picture – couldn’t, really – but I asked Seulgi to take one. She’s a vampire, and one of my best friends. She goes with us sometimes, loves running around and all that.”
 

Joohyun is unable to mask her surprise, staring at the picture as she tries to think of what to say.
 

Sooyoung grins at her knowingly. “You can go with us too, you know. I think unnie would love that. We won’t hurt you and we won’t let others harm you, if that’s what you’re afraid of. We’d never hurt someone who makes Seungwannie as happy as you do.”
 

“I… Thank you,” Joohyun says, touched. “For the picture and for…yeah. Maybe during the next?”
 

Sooyoung nods, smiling wide. “Sure. I’ll ask Seulgi to come along so you can have company.”
 

“Yeah, that’d be great.” Joohyun smiles. “So…you guys sleep during full moons?” Joohyun can’t stop staring at Seungwan’s wolf form; she is definitely not a chihuahua.
 

“Rarely, but unnie said she crammed for an exam the day before and was exhausted.”
 

“What’s Sooyoung telling you now?” Seungwan interrupts their conversation, walking towards them with eyes narrowed in suspicion.
 

Joohyun quickly pockets the photo in her jeans. “She said…that I could come with you? Next month?”
 

Seungwan blinks at them in surprise. Then she downright beams, throwing herself into Sooyoung’s arms for a hug. “Yes! Yes, of course! Thanks, Sooyoungie!” A week ago, Joohyun would absolutely seethe with jealousy at the blatant display of affection, but now she just laughs, happy and excited.
 

Sooyoung hugs her back, shaking her head in mock exasperation. “You know you could have just brought her with you anytime and we would've been fine with it, right?”
 

“Yeah, but I wanted you to be comfortable around each other first,” Seungwan replies, a little confused, like her intentions were obvious.
 

Sooyoung can’t help but smile at that, warmth pooling in her eyes. She tries to play it off, ruffling Seungwan’s hair before huffing a half-hearted “You’re so weird,” before leaving them (finally, blissfully) alone.
 

Joohyun quickly intertwines their fingers together, a bit needy for any form of contact. “Uh, so, weren’t you supposed to play darts?”
 

Seungwan looks at her in amusement. “I just finished. Badly. Horribly. Thank god you didn’t witness it, then.”
 

“Oh.” Joohyun bites her lip, a bit embarrassed, and Seungwan’s eyes flicker down to stare unabashed, making her blood run hot. “I could…um…teach you? I’m kind of good at it.”
 

“Maybe next time.” Seungwan’s voice has turned irresistibly husky, and she still hasn’t looked up from her lips, eyes gradually turning into that molten gold Joohyun finds herself unerringly addicted to.
 

Joohyun tugs at her hand subtly, desperately, and Seungwan clears , finally snapping out of it, eyes going back to a rich dark brown. Not that Joohyun wants her to snap out of it – more like snap into it in so many more ways than one – but. “Home. First. Now.”
 

“Right. Yes.” Seungwan quickly walks them back to their table, hand still in hers. They both say their goodbyes, doing their best to ignore the sly smirks on every wolf’s face.
 

They both agree to use their supernatural abilities for the sake of incredible urgency, speeding through every empty street they can find. By the time they’re in front of the door to their flat, they’re both laughing breathlessly for no other reason than being ridiculously happy together, Seungwan fumbling and dropping the keys, making Joohyun laugh even harder.
 

“! Wait, sorry. !” Seungwan finally unlocks the door after a few seconds of utmost concentration, and Joohyun jumps her the moment the door swings open.
 

“You’re so y when you concentrate like that.” Joohyun nips at her neck, soothing it with her tongue.
 

“You should…see me…during exams,” Seungwan pants out, at the brink of losing her mind to Joohyun’s teasing fingers and incredibly naughty mouth.
 

Joohyun breathes out a laugh against her lips, and Seungwan takes the chance to press her up against the wall, pinning her hips on a tortuous grind that makes Joohyun’s eyes roll back.
 

“Bed. Please. I can’t…” Joohyun moans out, her legs feeling like jelly. Seungwan hums an affirmative, lifting her up in one fluid motion, making sure Joohyun’s legs have wrapped around her hips before making her way to the bed.
 

Much, much later, during round who-the-heck-knows, Seungwan is gasping out these lovely, growly sounds that only makes Joohyun press harder still, when there is a distinct sound of splintering wood, and Joohyun’s bed breaks, taking them down with it.
 

They stare at each other in shock, before the mirth flows in and they’re chortling loud enough for their neighbor to bang angrily at their shared wall.
 

“At least he didn’t get mad because of the ,” Seungwan whispers, pressing her lips together to keep herself from laughing again.
 

“I have supernatural hearing, you idiots!” their neighbor yells back. “And you should be thankful I also have earplugs!”
 

Seungwan and Joohyun gape at the wall, stunned.
 

“Thank you!” Seungwan shouts back, earning herself a punch in the shoulder. “Ow! I’m being sincere!” she defends, making Joohyun roll her eyes even if a smile threatens to light up her face.
 

As if they weren’t interrupted – and the bed they’re lying on isn’t level with the floor – Joohyun teasingly presses back in, Seungwan’s breath hitching at the touch. “Do you think we should find another place?” she muses even as she drives Seungwan crazy with her fingers.
 

“Wh-what? Um. Maybe? Oh god-”
 

“A room with a bigger, sturdier bed. And maybe just one bed?”
 

“Right. Yeah-sure-definitel-ohmygod-”
 

“Really?” Joohyun pauses, making Seungwan whine pitifully.
 

“Unnieeee…” Seungwan looks down, and Joohyun is playfully smirking up at her, making her groan. “You’re mean.”
 

“Am I?”
 

Seungwan watches her with hooded eyes, sobering up. “No. I love you, but I can’t hold a serious conversation when you’re doing that. Either you resume your amazing finger exercises on me or you come up here and we can ta- oh-
 

“Never mind. We’ll talk later.”

 

fin x2?


 

A/N:

Sorry for the POV switch at the end. It had to be done. Joohyun had to know Seungwannie wasn’t a chihuahua lol

 

Super credits to the people who gave me their suggestions for the epilogue!

#1 @minimuminput for wanting them to have a bit of a fight (and inevitable making up) about their habits. I couldn’t really think of stupid quirks to sink the ship other than the deal-breaker sun thing. I hope it was alright…

#2 @yuiringo for wanting joohyun to see seungwan in wolf form. I had a lot of ideas for this but this won out lol

*#3 @shootroot16 - sorry I couldn’t do what you asked of me: wan in heat. For one, I am honestly inexperienced at writing about such things (even though it’s my guilty pleasure to read about them) and two, I feel like this would turn the fic into some sort of ABO verse which I don’t really want to do. So yeah, I’m sorry!!! Seungwan is an alpha!!! Top!wendy!!!

 

This was harder to write than all the three chapters combined ;_; because I had to pull some deeper  out of my and not just go for the usual crack because they deserve a hopeful future together, right?? I hope I did it okay :/ Thank you for reading!