beginnings

Baby It's Cold Outside

Kunhang pulled open the coffee shop door and sighed as he stepped inside. It was warm, the lights were dim and the air smelled good. He sank down at a table and relaxed his body, running a hand through his hair and inhaling deeply. Winter was a beautiful season, but it was very uncomfortable. 

"Can I help you?" 

Kunhang looked up. A young man with dark hair and sparkling eyes was leaning against his table, holding a notepad and a pencil. His name tag said 'Ten' in fancy blue letters. Kunhang could tell it was handmade. 

"Er, yes, actually." Kunhang gave his order and flashed a smile. 

The young man smiled back and went to get Kunhang's order ready. While he was gone, Kunhang pulled out his phone and took a quick photo of the inside of the shop. He shoved his phone back into his pocket immediatly so that no one would notice. 

In a few minutes Ten was back with Kunhang's order. He smiled again and started to walk away, but Kunhang stopped him. 

"Hey," he said. "Stay and talk. I'm lonely." 

"I....okay." Ten slipped into the chair across the table from Kunhang. "What do you want to talk about?" 

"I should start with an introduction," Kunhang laughed. "I'm Wong Kunhang. I'm a college sophomore from Macau. I..... actually, that's it. Your turn." 

"Well... my name tag says Ten, you know, and I would much rather have people call me Ten than my real name. I'm Chittaphon Leechaiyakul, from Thailand. I didn't finish college, but if I had, I would be graduating this year."  Ten sighed. "I couldn't afford it and had to drop out." 

Kunhang stirred his coffee. "I'm really sorry." 

"It's okay." Ten smiled at him. He had a very attractive smile. "I made it through the first two years, anyway." 

Kunhang sipped his coffee. "Do you miss Thailand?" 

"Terribly," Ten answered. "Do you miss Macau?" 

"Terribly," Kunhang responded, and they both smiled. 

Ten's phone rang. He pulled it out of his pocket and frowned when he saw the caller ID. He pressed decline and looked up apologetically. 

"My ex," he said in answer to the question in Kunhang's eyes. "Recently he's been trying to come back into my life for some reason, but he's too toxic to have around." 

Kunhang grimaced. "Good thing you got rid of him, huh?" He took another sip of coffee. "Dating anyone new now?" 

"No," Ten answered. "I haven't met the right person yet. I want to be careful this time, you know." He flicked his hair out of his face. "Are you dating?" 

"Nope." Kunhang grinned. 

Ten raised an eyebrow. "Are you free tomorrow at six? There's a movie showing that I wanted to go see." 

"I think I can make time for that," Kunhang answered with a smile. 

"It's a date, then." 

The bell above the doir rang. Ten glanced over at the customer, and Hendery raised his phone quickly. He had it back in his pocket by the time Ten looked back at him.   

Ten sighed. "I have to go." 

Kunhang waved a hand. "By all means. See you tomorrow at six." 

"See you," Ten answered, and he walked away.