Hard Beginning

Heart Of Glass

Yuan lived a simple life. He had a good house & enough money to live comfortably. His father was a flight attendant, while his mother had died when he was 9. He was still a student at a university. This year & he would be major in music.

He was half laying on his bed, embracing his back on the bedpost, listening to music. The door was open yet his father knocked & walked in, making Yuan take off his earphones.

The father cupped his cheek "I have a flight tonight. I'll be back in 2 days" he kissed his cheek & walked out. Yuan was used to it, he was spending less time with his father because of his job, but growing up he got used to it.

It was Saturday morning, his father had already left yesterday night, so probably he would have already landed. Like always, he would call him & ask him about the trip and everything else.

He called him 2 times, but he responded to none of them. Yuan checked at the time, feeling nervous. Normally his father should have landed many hours ago. He wanted to call again, but the door bell rang, interrupting him.

It was a man dressed as a flight attendant "Good morning, Mr.Wang" his voice almost robotic. Yuan nodded "Good morning, sir". The man took a deep breath "Can I come in? Something happened to your father", he didn't want to trust him, but he had no other choice.

They both sat on the sofa, opposite of each other "I don't know if you heard it in the news, but there was a problem with the airplane your father was in. He tried to protect people from the accident & he made it, but along with some other flight attendants...he lost his life".

Yuan felt like somebody ripped off his soul, his father was the only family he had. The mother's family side always hated her marriage, so after her death they cut strings with them. His father didn't have any family, only a careless brother that lived too far away & didn't really contact them. Yuan had lost everything.

The man stood up, bowing "I'm really sorry for your loss..." he took out a laminated envelope "...this is your father's payment" he bowed once again & walked out.

Yuan started trembling as tears were falling, his cries were loud as he couldn't hold it anymore.

He was already an adult, but he didn't want to stay alone, so he tried to contact his uncle, but the irresponsible relative like always, didn't answer.

The next days he organized a funeral with not many people. All the eyes were on him, as he was the only family of the dead man. Some personally came to wish their condolences, but Yuan didn't even hear or look at them in the face. He was numbed.

After the funeral, he sat all day at the couch with a photo of his father in his hands "I'm gonna miss you, dad" tears fell from his eyes landing on the photo. That moment the bell rang, Yuan wiped the tears with his sleeve & went to open.

It was a handsome young looking rich man, he smirked & reached for a handshake "Hello Yuan. I'm your father's best friend, can I talk to you?". Yuan didn't want to talk to anybody, but he accepted him inside anyway. 

They both sat. The man started drinking the coffee the younger made for him "You're my father's best friend? How come I didn't know you?!", the man smiled politely without showing his teeth. He told him everything, how they met, he showed him their pictures.

He was a businessman who did a lot of trips, usually with his father as an attendant. Yuan slowly remembered about a really rich man his father was talking about. The man took a sip finishing his coffee "Yuan, your father texted me..." he took out his big phone showing the message "...that if he died during the flight to take care of you". Yuan looked at the message, he bit his lower lip, holding his tears back.

He looked at the man "I don't know...I mean, you're a total stranger to me", the man chuckled sweetly "We can get to know each other now". Yuan softly shook his head, yet the man insisted "Yuan, your father was & will forever be my best friend. His last wish was to take you home & take care of you. I wanna grant his words".

Yuan let out an abrupt sob, as he hid his mouth behind his covered palm. He let out a big breath, trying not to cry in front of the stranger "If that was his last wish" he looked at the satisfied man in the eyes. 

Yuan had much money in his bank card & the money of his father were left only to him. Yet he decided to follow the stranger.

The house of the man was like a palace, he even had a fountain in his enormous garden. Yuan stood there admiring, until the man placed his hand on his upper back "Let's go inside" he said nicely and they walked in.

The house was even bigger from the inside, a butler took his bags "This is your home now" said the man proudly as he opened his hands. Yuan smiled shyly "Thanks a lot" he bowed. The man motioned with his head "Time for dinner" he almost sang. Before getting inside the man turned to him "I have two sons" he just informed.

The two boys were already seated on the dinner table, Yuan could admit that both of them were too handsome. The young boys stood up bowing "Hello, I'm Qianxi" he said with a serious look. The other looked totally like his father. He made eye contact with him for seconds "I'm Junkai", Yuan gulped because of the second's look "I'm Yuan" he also bowed.

They all started eating silently, an awkward aura ruled the place. Qianxi said politely "Our dad told us about you. My condolences", Yuan softly nodded "Thank you" his voice barely coming out.

During the whole dinner, Yuan could feel Junkai's intense stare, but he tried to ignore it. He seemed to watch carefully all of his moves. 

When they finished the father said "So boys, Yuan is in a really hard situation, so..." he cleared his throat "...he'll live with us from now on". Qianxi frowned his eyebrows in anger, while Junkai opened his eyes widely "What?". The man argued "Our house is enormous & he has no one. His father was also my best friend".

Qianxi said through his teeth "Our home isn't a charity centre, dad", the elder was shocked "What is this behavior?! Where are your manners?!" he raised his voice. Junkai stood up walking away & Qianxi immediately followed his action.

The elder turned to Yuan, but the younger spoke first "Maybe it's a better idea if I don't stay". The man shook his head "My decision was taken. You'll stay here".

The elder showed him his room. Yuan's eyes widened "Wow" slipped from his mouth, the man chuckled "This is all yours". Yuan bowed "Thanks a lot for all these", the man placed his hand on the back of the younger's head "Don't need to thank me. I loved your father & I would do anything to help him" with that he walked out of the room & repeated "It's all yours".

Yuan closed the door admiring every inch of the room & the view out of the window. He started putting his clothes in the wardrobe, while he let a picture of him & his father next to the bed.

It was around 22:00, Yuan wanted to get some water before sleep.

As he approached the kitchen, he heard Junkai's voice "You should have informed us", his father's voice answered "Boys! Relax. What's the matter anyway? He's a silent kid". He heard a chuckle from Junkai, while Qianxi answered "We don't want strangers in this house" his voice plain with slight anger.

The father breathed out heavily "You can avoid him...", Junkai cut him off "You tell us not be comfortable in own house?!". The man sounded angry now "You can get to know him better. Why are you both so negative?".

Yuan's lower lip trembled, he silently run upstairs in his room. He locked the door, sinking his face on the pillow as he started crying. Everything was so hard.

 

Hope you liked chapter 1 ^_^