Brave It Out

Summer Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Sojung arrived at the office with a cup of to-go hot americano in her hold.

"Morning…" Sojung greeted a girl next to her desk when she took a seat.

"Good morning, Sojung-unnie!" The girl greeted Sojung back with her usual bright smile. "Oh, early caffeine intake?" She eyed Sojung's grande sized coffee.

"Yeah." Sojung answered while turning on her PC. "I barely slept last night."

"Another unfinished works?" The girl gave a worried look at Sojung. She knew better about Sojung's works because she is working in the same department with her and Sojung was in charge to teach her know-how about working in their company.

"Uhm…" Sojung immediately stopped typing her password to login to her PC upon hearing the girl's question. "Y-Yeah." She lied. How can I tell her that I couldn't sleep last night because I was thinking of my crush and it's a GIRL!

"I'm getting more worried about you, unnie… Please hand over some of your works to me so you can focus more on the most important ones. I've been working with you for half a year and let me show the department head and the other sunbaes that you really taught me well!" The girl clenched her fists in determination and nodded at Sojung.

"Yerin-ah…" Clearly Sojung was touched by the girl's, whose name is Yerin, words. And also felt sorry because she lied to her. But hey, there's no lie about her overload works, though? "Well, if you say so…" Sojung unlocked her drawer and took out a file and gave it to Yerin. "You've read and known the circulation of a project proposal, right? This company is one of our regulars. They were a small company but now they're expanding their business across the country. Look up on their annual report last year about their sales and compare with the previous 5 years." Sojung explained to Yerin and the younger listened with all of her full attention. "I think we still have last year's proposal in our department's locker. You can use that as reference. No copy-paste!" Sojung slammed her hand on the proposal and the younger flinched a bit.

"Y-Yes, maam…" Yerin said after gulping nervously.

Sojung chuckled. "I was just joking. Don't take that seriously. I will check the proposal later after my visit to our other client today." Sojung pats Yerin's shoulder. "Good luck."

"Leave it to me! When will you come back anyway?"

"Hmm… Around 3 pm maybe? We will have a lunch meeting so it will take a little while." Sojung answered without looking at Yerin. She kept checking her inbox and types quickly to reply to some of important emails. "I just emailed you a business record from a meeting with the client we were talking about. You can use that as reference too." She said and stood up from her seat and prepared some stationeries.

"Huh? Where are you going? Heading out to the client early?" Yerin confused.

"Weekly operational meeting. Our Assistant Department Head is taking leave today." Sojung sighed.

"Ah…" Yerin nodded in understanding. "To be honest, you're more competent than our current ADH. I'm sure you'll be one in no time." Yerin said in a low tone so only Sojung could hear her.

"Shush! Don't say that! It's still a long way to go for me." She denied. "Tell boss that I'm in the meeting if he asks during morning meeting."

"Roger, maam!" Yerin saluted jokingly at Sojung.

"Anyway, Yerin…" Sojung was about to step away but she stopped.

"Yes?"

“Do you have...any plan for tonight?”

Yerin gasped dramatically. “Oh my God, unnie, are you asking me for a date?!”

Sojung rolled her eyes. “Don’t answer my question with a question.”

The younger chuckled, “I was just joking, unnie. Yes, I have a clear schedule tonight. Usual place and your treats?” Yerin wriggled her eyebrows at Sojung.

Sojung deadpaned at how Yerin . “Do you realize that you’re talking to someone older than—whatever.” Sojung stopped halfway when she realized that she was hurting herself by stating the fact that she’s older than Yerin. “Yup. 8 PM at usual place. Don’t be late!”

---

“And look who’s late.” Yerin greeted Sojung when she showed up while chewing a croissant as a refreshment.

“Oh, bite me!” Sojung responded grumpily and took a seat across Yerin. “Why do I have to finish a proposal for a customer that I’m not the PIC of?! And how could you take a leave when there was a proposal due TODAY?! Urrgh that middle-aged !” Sojung gritted her teeth in anger.

“Oooh, are we gonna start this evening by bashing our supervisor?” Yerin took a sip of her tea. But then she earned a death glare from the older. “O-Okay, I’m sorry. I was just trying to lighten the mood. And just so you know, I’m all ears here for you tonight.”

Sojung took a deep breath and exhaled. “I know. Sorry for my faulty mood.” Sojung takes a look at the menu.

“Good evening, ladies.” A waitress came up and started pouring water into Sojung’s glass. “I haven’t seen you two in a while. Are you two getting tired of our cafe and going somewhere fancier?” She faked a sob. “I knew it. The day has finally come…”

“Nayeon, please. We came here last week. Also, your acting’s .” Sojung retorted the waitress without even looking at her.

The waitress shrugged. “I sensed a heavy atmosphere since you entered. I wanted to fit in.”  Nayeon, the waitress who’s working in the cafe where Sojung and Yerin are at was Sojung’s classmate during high school. And actually her family runs the cafe. “So what are you girls having tonight?” She readied to write down their orders.

“Hmm… I don’t know. I kinda lost my appetite tonight.” Sojung said while still scanning the menu. “I guess I’ll have anchovy salad. A small plate.”

“You sure? You need to eat more or else you’ll be like a walking stick, you know? Even though you don’t gain weight no matter how much you eat. You lucky duck.” Nayeon mumbled the last part while writing down Sojung’s order.

“Whatever, Nayeon. I don’t have much energy left to respond to your jibber-jabber now.” Sojung massages her temple.

Nayeon sighed in defeat. “Not a good time to tease you, huh?” She pats Sojung’s shoulder. “Sorry.” Sojung just nodded to her.

Nayeon turned to her left side. “How about you, Yennie? Another piece of croissant?”

“Umm…” Yerin hesitated and sometimes took a glance at Sojung. She wanted to order the most expensive one since Sojung is paying but seeing how her sunbae is in distress, she decided to pay for her own meal. “I-I think I’ll have the usual beef stew.”

Nayeon wrote down Yerin’s order. “Alright. One small plate anchovy salad and the usual beef stew.” She repeated their orders. “Is there anything else?”

“Yes. Can I trade this water for a booze?” Sojung held out a glass of water to Nayeon.

“Unnie, you have work tomorrow.” Yerin reminded the older that taking a dose of booze is not a good option when you have to work later in the morning.

“Also, aren’t you driving?” Nayeon was on Yerin’s side.

“Relax. I went to work by bus so I’ll get a cab home. Just give me a light one.” Sojung reassured both Yerin and Nayeon. “Preferably wine.”

“Alright. Keep the water just in case you regret your life choice. I’ll be right back.” Nayeon left their table.

Sojung put down the glass on the table. “I need the booze to make me speak up the thing I wanted to discuss with you easier.” Sojung said after making sure Nayeon left them and nobody nearby could hear them.

“Now I’m getting curious. Is it about work?”

“Oh, hell no. I don’t want to talk about work now. That is really sickening me.”

“Don’t worry, unnie. It won’t last that long anyway.” Yerin took another sip of her tea.

However the last sentence made Sowon’s eyebrows furrowed. “What do you mean?”

Yerin choked on her tea realizing that she just said something she shouldn’t have to. “I...I mean—y-you’ll forget about your problem soon after you eat and drink the booze.” Yerin smiled nervously at Sojung.

Meanwhile Sojung kept her facial expression and stared at Yerin. “I ain’t buying it. Spill.” Sojung folded her arms and that was intimidating enough to the younger in front of her.

Yerin sighed in defeat. “Alright... But please don’t tell anyone that I told you.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter