The Beginning

Summer Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sojung lies down on bed after taking a quick shower. She won’t stop staring at her phone screen that shows a contact details she added the moment she arrived at her flat. It shows ‘Jung Eunbi’ on the screen. Sojung is contemplating whether to contact her or nah. She thinks about what Yewon said before that it’s just a mere umbrella and it shouldn’t be a big deal probably for most people but we are talking about Jung Eunbi now; the girl Sojung has a crush on.

Sojung helplessly puts down her hand that’s holding her phone on bed and stares at the ceiling. She recalls the day when the first time she attended the English class. It has been a month and half since then.

(FLASHBACK)

(Sojung's POV)

Oh, crap! I’m late for the 1st day of my English class!

I hastily pressed the up button of the elevator. My class is on the 5th floor. I immediately disregarded the sound in my head to take the stairs. I mean, I don’t want my feet ended up covered with pain relieving patches all over since I’m still wearing my pumps right now.

I heard a ding indicating the elevator has arrived. I entered the elevator quickly even before the doors were fully opened. I pressed 5 button and then repeatedly pressing the close button. “Come on come on come on!” I mumbled in frustration.

I tried to control my breath and return it to normal inside the elevator. I hope the teacher is not a killer one… I secretly hoped.

I heard another ding from the elevator that indicated I have already reached my destination. I got out of the elevator before the doors were fully opened again. I took a deep breath before I knocked on the door to my class. I knocked twice.

“Yes, come in.” I heard a voice from inside the classroom. Wait… I think I know whose voice is that… While still having that in my mind, I carefully opened the door and stepped inside the room. “Sorry for coming la—eh?” You’ve gotta be kidding me.

“You must be Kim Sojung-ssi, yes?” A smaller figure (to me) greeted me with her sweetest smile. Meanwhile I was frozen with jaw-dropping and my hand was still holding the doorknob.

I snapped myself back. “Y-Yes, I’m—I’m sorry for coming late, Miss…” I was hesitating to say the name of the teacher who’s in charge for the English class I’m attending starting today. Yes, I know who the teacher is. She is my cousin; Kim Yewon. But I think I don’t need any more attention from other students in this class right now so I’ll pretend that I don’t know her name.

“It’s fine. I just finished my introduction and was about to check the attendance. Oh, I’m Kim Yewon. I’ll be in charge of business level class here. Nice to meet you.” She bowed slightly and smiled at me. Is it me or I can see her trying hard not to laugh?

I bowed back at her. I didn’t know she’s working here. I meant, it’s been a while since the last time I met her at a family gathering few years ago. I knew that she was attending a junior college and had an opportunity for an abroad exchange. We were so close back then but ever since she went overseas and I got busy with my work, we rarely been in touch with each other. So I guess she graduated and now works here. And she looked a lot prettier and all adult now. Wait, what?

“Please take a seat, uhh…” Yewon, I mean, the teacher is looking around the classroom where seats are mostly taken by other students. “Oh, there’s one empty seat behind.”

The seats are arranged in 1 desk for 2. I walked through the aisle and slightly bowed to a shoulder-lengthened-black-hair girl who’s already sitting next to my seat. She looked so timid when she bowed back at me. She didn’t even look at me. It was just for a glance but…I think she’s also cute. Okay, not again! Focus, Kim Sojung!

Actually I can’t really focus on th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter