A Small Happening

Summer Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Things are not going well for Kim Sojung lately.

Her work assessment for first half this year in a company where she's working at was quite remarkable. It's her second year to work there yet her achievement keeps thriving and her supervisor, even the people from board of directors are expecting more from her. However, those achievements are from national clients. After the first half assessment was announced, her boss gave her the most challenging task…so far. Her boss introduced her to some new clients which are MNCs (Multinational Corporation). She has to deal with some foreigner higher-ups of those companies. Bad news is, Sojung cannot speak and understand English that well.

Of course her boss is taking the initiative and lead in every meeting whenever they do, but Sojung can’t just stay there without understanding anything and being a useless lamb. She needs information to write down in her proposal to be submitted to the board of directors.

So with that, she decided to join an English conversation class near her apartment. She is taking 2 days course a week. The class starts from 6 to 8 PM. Her decision to join the class is fully supported by her boss. Her boss sometimes reminds her to go to the class when she is fully occupied and way too concentrated to her work.

The end of July, when the weather is particularly like having a mood-swing in this country. One day it was all sunny, no, TOO sunny that left most people stay indoor. Another day, it was rainy all day. Sometimes with the thunderstorm. And today, the sky is crying again since daybreak. It’s mostly drizzle but still making people walking under an umbrella. Even here, it's seen that most slots in the umbrella stand in the English conversation class which Sojung is taking are taken.

When the class is over, Sojung stayed on her seat until everyone leaves the classroom. When they did, Sojung approaches the teacher near the whiteboard.

“I’m so sorry that I kept on skipping this class. I even skipped the test last week. I didn’t check the class’ schedule that there would be one yesterday…” Sojung stated the truth. She has four proposals to be submitted to her boss and then to be circulated to the board of directors afterwards. And the due is right around the corner. She even took weekend overtime to make it in time.

“It’s fine, Sojung-unnie. You’re my special student after all.” The teacher said with a chuckle which sounded a bit forced to Sojung’s ears.

Yewon, the English teacher in this class for people who are mostly an employee, is actually Sojung’s cousin from her extended family. Yes, they share same family name.

“Please, don’t make any favoritism in this class. Treat me equally like the other students.” Sojung retorted, almost pleading.

“I know you’re having a rough time in the company, I totally understand.” Yewon said while erasing the white board without looking at Sojung.

Sojung sighed in relief upon hearing that. She is right. Sojung often works overtime almost everyday. “Thank you so much for understanding. But I still need a good grade to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter