Chapter 6

Right Place

Minju chewed on the fried anchovies in front of her in a feeble attempt to distract herself from staring at Baekhyun for too long. She tried to look away from his long, slender fingers as he held his chopsticks, and his neck when he drank from his cup. They'd arrived at a traditional Korean restaurant and were filling their stomachs in semi-awkward silence. On other days, Minju would attempt to eat in a more dignified manner, but with her tummy growling like a stray kitty, she had more important things to focus on. The cold drink in front of her looked especially tempting.

"Um, there's something on your...", Baekhyun said while gesturing to her face and handing her a napkin.

"Oh-oh!" Minju winced and turned away to blindly wipe around , her ears burning.

"So... how are you doing?" She heard Baekhyun ask. "You've moved into the dormitory, right?"

She hastily turned to face him, crumpling the napkin in her palm. "Yes, I have! Thank you so much. I would've been in trouble if it wasn't for you."

"I should be the one thanking you. You've helped me in ways I couldn't have ever imagined. I can't thank you enough."

Minju perked up. "Oh right! I saw your ads. And I've been watching your new drama too. Congratulations!" She clapped her hands enthusiastically.

Baekhyun grinned, bashful. He pulled on the strings of his hoodie and swung his arms cutely. "Thanks." It took all of Minju to not burst an aww right there.

After a few seconds of silence, Baekhyun reached for his backpack. Wait, he brought a bag? Minju hadn't noticed. She was too busy staring at his face. "Actually... I have a reason for wanting to meet you today."

Reason? What reason? Minju thought as she looked at him curiously. He scratched his head sheepishly. "I, uh, actually, I was wondering if you could tell me more about yourself." He saw her staring at him, unsure, and he quickly added, "It's not for me! The interviewers! T-they keep asking me about you! I wanted to ask you if you are okay with me answering a few questions about you."

"What kind of questions?", Minju asked cautiously.

"Just stuff like your personality, your favourite colour, how we met and how long we've been dating. I refused to answer because you're a civilian, but they keep doubting our relationship. I mean... you know... whatever it is. Our scandal was pretty out of the ordinary."

Our. He said 'our'. SLAP! The angel on Minju's right shoulder smacked her across the face. This is a serious matter. Focus! The devil on her left pulled at her ear and wailed, HE SAID 'OUR'! 

Minju turned to look at Baekhyun. He was looking at her trepidly like he was afraid she'd say no. She looked at his fingers, nervously playing with the threads of his bag. His eyes, looking at her for a second, then flicking to his fingers. All she could think about was how attractive the man sitting in front of her was.

"—Minju? Miss Minju?" She snapped out of her trance to find Baekhyun staring at her weirdly. Great, she'd made a fool out of herself again. "Ahem!" She cleared and acted as if she was just disturbed from deep pondering. "Are you sure it's safe?"

"100%!" Baekhyun replied immediately. "I won't let anyone discover your identity. You're safe with me!"

Minju hummed with narrowed eyes, pretending to be contemplating when she was actually still drowning in embarrassment.

"And!" Baekhyun added, "I'll let you know about me too! If, by chance, something happens, you'll have full rights to sue me or use me in any way you want."

She couldn't stop her laugh. "Use you? How? Do you a secret no one knows about?"

He reached for her hand and pulled her from across the table. He whispered in her ear. Minju slumped back on her seat and stared at him with wide eyes. "YOU'RE THE SECOND SON OF BYUN FILMS' CHAIRMMMPHF—"

His hand on , Baekhyun said, "It's supposed to be a secret." Bowing apologies to the customers around them, he sat down on his chair.

Placing her hands around , Minju whisper-shouted, "Why is it supposed to be a secret though?!"

Baekhyun copied her actions and replied, "Because I don't want people to think I'm getting roles through nepotism! Because that's not true!" 

Hmmm. Fair enough. "So..." Minju said, "What do you want to know about me?"

"Not now. It's getting late." Baekhyun replied, looking at his phone. Really? Minju hadn't realised how much time had passed. He opened his bag and pulled some papers out. "These are the questions. Answer them as you like. I'll do the same."

Minju nodded. "Should I send you a picture when I'm done?" Baekhyun shook his head. "No, no. Take your time. Let's exchange them the next time we meet."

Next time? Like he had read her mind, Baekhyun asked, "This weekend. Will that be alright?" 

"Yes, okay." He smiled and handed her the questionnaire. They packed up and paid the owner. Minju paid for both their meals despite his protests. She promised to let him pay next time.

They headed out and Baekhyun offered to walk her to the dorms. On their way, they chatted about their work and schedules, Baekhyun had gone awfully busy. He was happy though, and so was Manager Kim. He'd gotten offers to star in three dramas and five web dramas. And he'd already signed the contracts for two more advertisements. She didn't let it show, but Minju was thrilled to know that she had helped him achieve that.

They'd almost reached the dorm when Sua called. "Minju! Where are you? You're coming home, right? Can you get me some sausages on the way? And some toilet paper too! We're out of tissues. Thanks, babe! Bye!" Minju sighed. Oh, the cheap student life of using toilet paper instead of tissues. 

She turned to look at Baekhyun. "Er... can we stop at the mart over there for a minute. My roommate needs a few things."

"Sure." Baekhyun seemed to have heard the whole thing by the look on his face. It hadn't been impossible considering the volume of Sua's voice. Minju hurried and a few minutes later her hands were busy holding two packs of toilet paper and food items. 1+1 offers were always hard to resist.

Soon enough the couple was standing in front of the dormitories. Minju was relieved, she'd started getting cold in her flimsy shirt and jeans. After all, winter was right around the corner. "Thank you for walking me home," said Minju as she bowed. "Thank you for the meal." Baekhyun replied and bowed back. But Minju couldn't really see anything because her hair was on her face and in . Baekhyun noticed her struggling to fix it with the stuff in her hands and gently moved the hair behind her ear. Minju's breath got caught in and she looked away, flustered. 

"I'll get the door too..." Baekhyun rushed to the glass doors leading to the lobby and pushed them open. Minju bowed thanks again, looking at anywhere but his face. She was afraid that if she did, he'd see how red her face was even in the dark.

 

"Hot damn, who's that?", asked the warden asked as Minju walked to the stairs. "Never seen him before. You got a boyfriend?"

"No! He's just a friend!", Minju said while picking up the toilet paper she'd just dropped.

"Are you sure? You looked real chummy with him.", the lady asked with a raised eyebrow. "And your face is red. You like him?", she added.

Minju's face turned two shades redder as she bowed a goodnight and ran up to her room. 

 

"What took you so long— hey are you alright?"

Minju handed Sua the stuff and waved her hands. "I'm fine... I was just... running."

"So, what took you so long? Did you work overtime?" Sua asked with furrowed brows. "Did the new guy ask you to work his shift? You don't have to do that, you know."

Minju sat on her bed and dropped her face into her hands. Her neck burned as she recalled what happened just minutes ago. Her fingers were tingling and she didn't know why. Taking a deep breath, she announced, "Baekhyun came to see me after work."

"..."

"..."

"AAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

"AAAAAAAAAAA!"

 

The next hour consisted of Minju narrating every single action that took place during her meeting with Baekhyun and Sua making expressions Minju had never seen before.

"He didn't take you to a five-star restaurant? I mean, he's making money now! All thanks to you!"

"Are you sure he's not going to sell your personal information to tabloids?"

"HE'S WHO?!"

"No wonder his house looked expensive. His daddy got that money, I see."

"Okay, fine! I won't tell anyone! As long as he doesn't hurt you, that is."

"He walked you home?!"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, HE FIXED YOUR HAIR?! HE TOUCHED YOU?! HOW DARE HE? TO MY DAUGHTER—"

Minju finally managed to silence her after what seemed like hours and forced her to start studying. And herself, well, she tried.  

 

The next morning arrived like nothing had changed and it helped Minju pretend the same, too. The duo was running a bit late, for once, so they decide to skip breakfast and rushed to their class. Minju had caught her stomach groaning a couple of times during the lecture but Sua had had her back when she handed her a sausage stick from under the desk.

They were making their way to the canteen when a couple of boys approached them. Even at a glance, they looked much younger than the girls. 

One of the boys pushed the other forward and he  his phone in front of Minju. The boy attempted to smile in way Minju guessed was flirty, and introduced himself, "Hi. I'm Kim Pilsoo, a fresher from the electrical engineering department. From the moment I saw you, I knew you were just my type. Can I have your number?"

Minju winced. She didn't know how to turn down guys at all. Well, it's not like she had many experiences to practice with either. She was contemplating on what to say when Sua intervened.

"Sorry boys, this lady is taken. She. Has. A. Boyfriend."

"O-oh really? I bet I can win her over!", the dude said while throwing Minju a cheesy wink.

"Tut-tut. Kids, her boyfriend is like, ten years older than you. You should stop before he finds out tweens are trying to flirt with his girl."

The boys looked visibly uncomfortable and the flirty guy struggled to find a comeback.

"Don't worry, boys. This lady right here is single." Sua said pointing to herself. "I can give you my number if you want." She gave them a sleazy wink and a rawr with her hands in a claw motion.

The two males looked horrified as they quickly declined and ran for their lives. Minju looked at Sua with a poker face and a second later they were laughing their hearts out. Minju wiped her tears and took a deep breath... and burst out laughing again, holding onto her stomach for dear life. Sua was drowning in her own tears when someone interrupted them from behind.

"So it's true! You do have a boyfriend!" They turned around to see Yuna, Jongin, another classmate Oh Sehun and finally Chanyeol. The former three looked amused, the latter... not so much. Chanyeol looked at Minju with a blank stare. Did he look confused? Disappointed? Minju couldn't tell. But what Minju could tell what that he looked like a giant puppy that was declined of his treat.

Minju grew flustered. Her eyes moved to Yuna as she asked, "W-where did you hear that from?!"

"From the warden, of course!" Yuna answered. She narrowed her eyes mischievously, "You brat! Did you think you could keep it a secret from us?"

"W-wha—"

"Yo, seriously? I didn't know Minju was interested in men. I thought she was litroual."

"What's that?", asked Sehun. "It means she's in a relationship with her books!"

Sehun laughed at his mate's lame joke and gave him a high five. "I know right!"

"Stop it, Jongin. It's not funny." Yuna said in a deadpan expression and the dumb and dumber immediately stopped laughing. Chanyeol... well, he just looked like he didn't want to be there.

"H-hey! That's not true." Minju said timidly. She didn't know why, but she felt like Chanyeol shouldn't have heard what Yuna said. Judging by his expression, she was right. "I don't have a boyfriend. Sua lied to make those kids go away."

"Really? Then who was the guy the warden saw you with?" Yuna challenged.

Minju gave a tired sigh. "It was just a friend." Yuna raised her eyebrow. "A friend we don't know?"

Minju struggled to answer and her palm got sweaty. Sua caught onto her discomfort and added, "Cut it out, guys! She already said that he's her friend!"

Yuna held up her hands defensively. "Alright, alright! I was just teasing her! Sorry, Minju." The addressed girl gave her a forced smile and assured her that it was okay.

She didn't notice how Chanyeol suddenly looked like he wanted to show off his newly whitened teeth, but Sua did. She waited for them to be left alone before talking about it with Minju. When they finally finished classes and were walking back to the dorm, Sua asked, "Minju, don't you think Chanyeol likes you?"

Minju stopped in her tracks. Her mind felt like it was in a frenzy and her body got cold, making the hairs on her neck stand. She didn't like it. She gave a shaky sigh and resumed walking with her best friend. "I know. I think he likes me, too". She stopped walking, again. Minju was afraid. She wasn't an idiot, anyone with eyes could tell Chanyeol was into her. Sua and her other friends had often pointed it out, but she refused to believe it. Maybe she just didn't want to acknowledge it. She thought about it then. Other people would probably be happy if Chanyeol liked them, right? He was sweet, kind and handsome too. But why not her? A few weeks ago, she could have used the 'I-have-no-time' excuse. But what now?

"Hey." Sua turned Minju's head that was facing the ground towards herself. "What's wrong?", she asked in worry.

Minju's eyes filled with tears, making Sua look at her in alarm. "I don't know, Sua. I feel so awful. I knew he likes me but I acted like I didn't. I knew he treated me especially, but I pretended not to. I took advantage of his feelings. Other girls would like him, I don't know why I can't. I don't even have an excuse as to why I don't like him. I don't deserve to turn him down. I feel so selfish. I'm such a horrible person, Sua."

"Minju!", Sua exclaimed, her eyes moist, too. She cupped Minju's face with her hands. "What do you mean you're a horrible person? You're not. You're not selfish either." She wrapped her arms around Minju and pulled her close. "You don't have to like him. You don't owe him your feelings. You don't owe him anything. Just because he likes you doesn't mean you should like him back. It was his choice to be nice to you. You didn't make him do anything. It's not your fault." Minju felt herself shaking as Sua hugged her tighter. Was Minju the one who was shaking? Or was it Sua? She couldn't tell.

They stood there, in the corner of the narrow alley, crying their eyes out for God knows how long. She didn't remember when they stopped and walked back to the dorm. Her head felt fuzzy as Sua made her lie on her bed. Sua placed a hand on her forehead, "I think you're coming down with a fever. Here. have this." she said as she popped out a tablet and handed Minju water. "I'll call your work and tell them you're calling in sick, okay? Go to sleep." Minju was too tired to protest and the last thing she saw before losing consciousness was Sua talking on her phone.

 

Her eyes opened slowly, taking their time. The absence of sunlight on the wall she was facing indicated that it was some time in the night. Head pounding like it was being hit by a hammer, Minju forced her body to turn around and came face to face with Sua. She was sleeping, her arms wrapped loosely around Minju. 

Minju stared at the girl will blurry vision, but remembered the events of the afternoon in clarity. She willed her hand up to Sua's face and placed it on her cheek. She felt her heart jolt as she thought of the words Sua had said to her. It's not your fault. Were those four words all she needed to feel alright? Of course, Sua knew. She always knew. Minju looked at her in fascination. What had she done to have been blessed with someone like her?

Sua moved under her touch and Minju pulled her hand away. She carefully got up so as to not wake Sua up. Making her way to the bathroom, she looked at the time on her phone. 1:23 am. She'd really slept that long, huh?

Washing up somehow, Minju saw something on Sua's bed. Minju pulled at the sticky note and read, 'I made you some porridge, wifey! I thought it might get cold so I put it in this thermos. Don't worry! I've already had dinner! Hearteu!"   

Minju chuckled and looked at the Sua's sleeping form fondly. Around ten minutes later, as she was eating Sua's porridge, Minju reached for her phone to see if she'd missed any important calls. Instead of calls, she was surprised to find texts from Baekhyun. She opened them curiously. 

Look at what I'm doing!

#homework #youdbetterbedoingyourhomeworktoo

And attached was a picture of his copy of the paper he'd given to her. Only the name and age blanks were filled out, though. What a tease, Minju thought to herself. She had started to feel much better and thought she should take her mind off heavy matters. She'd always had fun filling her friends' scrapbooks when she was little. 

Finishing her food, Minju took out the paper from her bedside drawer, careful not to make too much noise.

Here I go.

Name: Namgoong Minju

Age: 24

Birthday:...