Chapter 2

Right Place

Well, that's a huge house, thought Minju as she parked the delivery scooter in front of a luxurious, multi-storeyed modern villa. Then again, she was delivering to one of the poshest neighbourhoods she'd ever been to; which weren't many. She didn't have time to admire the not-really-humble abode of her customer though, as her drooping eyes reminded her of how late into the night it was. She rang the doorbell. Once. Twice. Around thirty seconds later, a grainy voice answered through the intercom. "Who is it?"

"Uhh... Chicken delivery.", answered Minju dumbly. 

Almost immediately, the iron gates in front of her started to slide open. Automatic gates, nice. She took that as a sign to enter and walked through a mini garden until she reached the main door. The door clicked open and emerged her valued customer. He was at least ten centimetres taller than her, dressed in jeans and a shirt with two buttons open, and a mask. Is he a celebrity or something?, Minju wondered. He had his hair dyed blond, too. It wouldn't be surprising if he was, not many people can afford to live in a space like this one. "It's 32,000 Won.", she said while handing him the parcel. "The cola is on the house."

She only caught a glimpse of his face, but she could tell he was sweating. He was breathing hard and irregularly too. He must have been busy with something when she arrived. Wait, was that a hickey on his neck? Oh. It wasn't hard to guess what he must have been busy with. Ooh la la.

She heard asking her something, but she didn't catch it. "Pardon?"

He repeated, but it only came out as a muffle. Damn her ears. Embarrassed to ask again, Minju hesitated. She stared at the ground trying to gather some courage. Yeah, it be like that sometimes.

She heard him sigh loudly and looked up to see him pulling off his mask. "I said, do you have change?"

Minju didn't answer. She couldn't. Because she was too busy staring at his face. Holy Jesus is this real? Am I looking at Byun Baekhyun right now? Holy Mother guide me.

Baekhyun looked at her dumbfounded face and rolled his eyes. "I'm guessing that's a 'No'. Wait here.", he said and then disappeared inside.

Minju was in a daze. She could believe she just met Byun Baekhyun. Baekhyun, of all people. Was this happening to her? She was beyond excited. She was exhilarated. She caught a look through the slightly open door. This house was nice. Really nice. How could he afford it? He probably didn't earn much by his acting job. Was his family rich? Whatever. She was going to ask for an autograph the moment he came out. Minju laughed, feeling giddier by the second. 

"Seri! What's wrong with you?!". startles, Minju looked towards the door. Baekhyun was shouting, at someone. "Where are you going? Answer me for god's sake!"

"I'm leaving. I don't want to be here anymore.", replied a high pitched female voice. Was that his girlfriend? Minju's expression turned sour. Wait. Stop. Minju. You're not twelve.

"Why not?", she heard Baekhyun answer, distressed.

"Do you not understand me or are you just dumb?", the woman replied harshly. "I'm saying, we're breaking up."

What? "What?", Baekhyun mirrored Minju's thoughts. "What are you sayi-"

"I'm dumping you. I don't want you anymore. We are done." 

Minju gasped. What in the world was happening? She needed to leave. But she couldn't, she didn't get the money yet. Right on cue, she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. It was Mrs. Lee. Minju looked at the time. 1:28 am. It was already so late. Just reaching Hannam-dong too her twenty-five minutes. It would take another thirty to return. She couldn't keep Mrs. Lee waiting anymore.  She was just about to knock at the door when it was pushed open and a woman walked out in a rush. Minju yelped as she was propelled behind the open door. She tried to move when a hurried Baekhyun pushed the door wide open and followed after the woman. Cheek pressed against the door, Minju decided she had had enough. 

She was ready to shout 'Look here mister!' when she saw Baekhyun grabbing on to the woman's wrist with a pained expression. The woman turned around and her mask fell off her ear. Even though she was wearing an annoyed look on her face, Minju could tell the woman was beautiful. 

"Let go of me Baekhyun!", the woman shouted.

"I won't until you tell me why."

"You want to know why?", the woman asked, agitated. "I'll tell you why. Because you have no future. Your dreams are getting you nowhere. You don't have a stable income. You don't have anything except for this house!"

Baekhyun looked hurt. "But... You said it didn't matter. You said you loved me for... Me."

The woman gave a quick bark of laughter. "Baekhyun. It was never about money." Her expression turned cold as she said  Hey. I'm Kwon Seri. I can buy ten others like you if I want."

Kwon Seri? The Kwon Seri? Of course, Minju had heard about her. The whole country had. She had played the main lead in a superhit Hollywood movie and her popularity had since gone through the roof. She didn't appear in any movies after that, but already had set her impression to the public, with everyone calling her the Nation's Pride along with Kim Yuna and Park Jisung.

But Minju never watched the movie so she didn't know what the actress looked like. So this was her. Her personality was rotten compared to what she'd heard about her. How could someone say that to someone they loved? Before she could wrap her head around what happened, she felt her phone buzz again. To hell with it, I'm taking the money and leaving.

She looked up from her pocket and saw Seri going out the gates and Baekhyun following after her, again. What the hell? He's still going after that  not-so-nice lady? Minju put on the helmet which she was holding in her hand and went after the couple.

As she turned around the corner of the gates, she heard Baekhyun say, " It's my fault. I'll do better. I'll work harder. Don't leave, please." Minju stopped in her tracks. She felt pity for him. Did he love her that much? Enough to hang on to her even when she was treating him like dirt? She was honestly baffled.

"Aw, honey it's not your fault", Seri replied, exasperatedly. "I know you work harder than anyone else. But you're just unlucky. I can't have you drag me down with you." Oh no she didn't.

She continued, "Besides, what would people say if they were to find out about us? The Kwon Seri dating a no-name actor? You know I can't let you ruin my reputation like that. I have a standard to maintain."

Minju braced herself to finally see Baekhyun get angry, but she didn't. Instead, he looked despondent. 

Like a final attempt to stop her from leaving, he asked Seri weakly, "But why now? Why didn't you talk to me about it? Why so suddenly?"

"It wasn't suddenly. I've been wanting this for a long time. This was supposed to happen today. I only came today to let you have some fun for the last time. After all, you were sweeter than the others. The one I dumped last week was only good in bed."

Minju swore she saw something in Baekhyun crumble. He stumbled and she looked at him in worry. He looked like he was about to pass out. She had had enough. Minju knew better than to meddle in others' affairs but she couldn't stop herself. Maybe it was because she was a fan, she just had to give a piece of her mind to the evil woman standing in front of her,

"Err... Excuse me...". That had not come out the way she hoped.

Kwon Seri and Baekhyun finally noticed her standing there in her standing in her pathetic helmet-clad self. She thought she saw Seri's eyes widen a fraction but it was like nothing happened half a second later. Seri stared at her with a smug expression on her face. It looked like Baekhyun didn't even register that she was there.

"Looks like you've kept someone waiting, Baekhyun." Seri sneered, "Also, you ordered fried chicken for me? I'm on a ing diet."

With that, Seri turned around walked to her luxury sports car in her 6-inch stilettos, leaving Baekhyun and Minju in utter silence except for the purring of her car in a distance, quickly fading away.

And Minju just stood there, speechless. Around three minutes later (or was it thirty? She didn't know.), her phone buzzed in her pocket once again, too loud in the hush of the moment. Startled, she took pulled out her phone; but she almost dropped it. Her hands were shaking. Funny. 

"Excuse me,", Baekhyun's smooth but weak voice snapped her out of her trance. "I'll get the money. Please wait a minute." And so she did.

He came out holding the money in one hand... and the chicken in the other. "This... you can have it. I don't want it anymore."

Minju didn't refuse. If she was Baekhyun, she wouldn't want it either. She wordlessly bowed to him and set off to her workplace on her scooter.

It was after 2 am, but Mrs. Lee didn't question when she went in with the order in her hand. Maybe she thought it was a rude customer because Minju's face certainly seemed like she might have encountered one. They locked the doors and left for their homes.

Minju quietly started walking back to her apartment, holding the chicken in one hand and pepper spray in the other. She saw a rare dumpster on the way, was it always there? Staring at the plastic bag in her hand, she wondered if she should throw it away. She wanted to, but her stomach had other plans when it started to rumble. How pitiful she was.

Snuggled in her covers with a full stomach, sleep welcomed her with open arms.

The next morning came far too soon. Her dark circles were especially visible on her pale skin. She tried to shower away her memories of the previous night, but they had already decided that they were staying for good.  She dragged herself to college somehow and sat at the back of the class, for the very first time since she joined the university. She needed this sleep. The previous night had completely exhausted her, both physically and emotionally. She texted Sua to ask when she would arrive and Sua replied with '15 mins'.

Sure enough, fifteen minutes later Sua came rushing to Minju, chanting her name way too loud for her aching head's liking. 

"You will not believe what just happened! Kwon Seri is dating that guy you like, Byun Baekhyun!"