final

shifting equilibriums

 

Naeun is twenty years-old when she is sent on her first diplomatic trip to the Earth Kingdom as the Fire Nation’s beloved princess. 

 

“It’s just practice,” Chorong, the captain of her personal guard, tells her with a practiced smile. The two of them are walking around the palace grounds as they’ve taken to doing since before Chorong was barely a mere foot soldier. “Your father still has plenty of years on him, but it’s better if you learn everything slowly rather than be overwhelmed later.”

 

Naeun scowls and says, “I hate traveling.”

 

Three years older than her, Chorong has always been something like an older sister. When her practiced smile becomes sympathetic and she lays a hand on her shoulder, it’s a comfort. They both know what traveling entails. Lots of planning and arguing and, worst of all, gossiping. Naeun has heard the whispers since she was a child. Nothing is ever said to her face, but Naeun knows the Fire Nation rues the day her mother ever birthed a nonbender.

 

“Think of it as a vacation,” Chorong tries. When Naeun gives her a look, Chorong forces her smile to be even brighter as she says, “We can go around and try different foods. I’m sure Namjoo would love to join us.”

 

Namjoo is the niece of the Southern Water Tribe’s chief, and she will be the representative for the trade agreements that Naeun is being forced to attend in two weeks. As someone also part of the headache-inducing political structure, Naeun has run into Namjoo more often than not at social functions, and she enjoys the other woman’s company since they are often the only two younger people. 

 

“I guess,” Naeun sighs. It has been a while since she’s seen Namjoo, but even that cannot completely cheer her up. She pouts at Chorong, “You won’t leave my side, right?”

 

“I’m pretty sure I’d lose my job if I did that,” Chorong jokes. When Naeun just glares at her, her eyes soften as she loops arms with Naeun, saying, “Don’t worry. It’s just a standard re-signing of our trade agreement, nothing you don’t know. That will only take a day or two, and after that, I promise we can do whatever you want, even if it’s just hiding in the Earth King’s palace until it’s time to leave.”

 

Naeun gives a small smile. “Promise?”

 

“Promise!”

 

Chorong’s words ease Naeun, and by the time she’s entering Ba Sing Se in her palanquin she’s not dreading the next few days as she had before. Although, she is annoyed with Chorong for making her travel in the palanquin. It’s suffocating and too entitled. Naeun would’ve much rather just walked, but Chorong insisted. Her safety or something. 

 

With no one to talk to due to the palanquin’s curtains and height difference with everyone else, Naeun is bored out of her mind by the time she’s lowered in front of the Earth Kingdom’s palace. As she’s helped out, Naeun takes in the sight before her.

 

King Huh Gak is still as round and cheery as Naeun remembers from years ago, but this time, he stands with a woman on either side of him, dressed in rich green and metal plating. The one on the right has a simple jade pin that Naeun realize marks her status as the king’s captain of his personal guard, not unlike Chorong for herself. However, the strangest part is how young both women are. They can’t be much older than herself or Chorong. 

 

“Princess Naeun!” King Huh Gak greets her jovially. He walks to meet her halfway, and his captain trails after him like a graceful shadow. “What a beautiful young woman you’ve become!” He takes her hand and places a quick kiss on it before releasing her. One reason Naeun agreed to this meeting is because of King Huh Gak. He’s happily married and never leers at her like many other men do, no matter their marital status. “I hope your travels were smooth.”

 

“Yes, they were,” Naeun answers politely. “Thank you for having us.” She glances over her shoulder where her guard has lined up. There are only six of them, plus Chorong who lingers just a foot behind her, but they are the best her nation has to offer; some of them were even handpicked by herself. “I deeply appreciate your generosity.”

 

“It’s no trouble!” King Huh Gak assures her with a warm smile. “It’s such an awfully large palace. It will be nice to fill it up a little more with the upcoming meeting.” His eyes flicker over to her guard before he asks, “Will it just be the eight of you? Your father made it sound as if half your nation was coming with you.” It’s said jokingly, but Naeun hears the question in it.

 

In truth, her father had been furious that Naeun demanded to travel with just her personal guard. She hated creating a fuss when she traveled. She hated the stares, so she insisted on traveling with as few people as possible. If Naeun had her way, she would’ve only come with Chorong, but her father never would have allowed that.

 

“I don’t like to bother my people,” Naeun shrugs simply. “I trust you, King Huh Gak, to keep us safe here.”

 

King Huh Gak smiles warmly in a way that makes him feel much more like a favorite uncle than an esteemed world leader. “Of course,” King Huh Gak nods. He waves a hand, and the captain steps up beside him. She’s small, but even through the clothing, Naeun can see she is lean and strong. “Princess Naeun, this is Captain Eunji of my personal guard. She also works very closely with the general of the army. Rest assured, she is very capable of keeping everyone safe as we re-sign.”

 

“Princess Naeun, it is an honor to meet you,” Eunji says. She smiles prettily then gives a low bow. When she stands back up, her face is bright, but her eyes are sharp. 

 

“It is a pleasure, Captain,” Naeun says with a slight incline of her head. She looks over her shoulder ever so slightly, and Chorong is at her side in an instant. Naeun waves a hand and explains, “This is Captain Chorong, the head of my personal guard. I hope the two of you can work together to ensure peace.”

 

Something flickers across Eunji’s face too quickly for Naeun to know what it was, but Eunji gives another bow and says, “Captain Chorong, an honor.”

 

“You as well, Captain Eunji,” Chorong replies, bowing as well, even as Naeun notices the slightly tick of Chorong’s eyebrow that gives away when she’s annoyed. Naeun wonders what’s wrong until Chorong asks casually, “How old are you, captain?”

 

Eunji frowns slightly before replying calmly, “I’m twenty-one.”

 

That’s it. She’s two years younger than Chorong but already the personal guard for the king of the Earth Kingdom. Naeun knows Chorong doesn’t begrudge her position with her at all, but she also knows that Chorong yearns for the day the Fire Lord will acknowledge her skill. For someone two years younger to have a higher position after her years of training, it must bother Chorong a lot.

 

“You’re young,” Chorong comments, and it’s innocent enough, if not for the slight edge to the words.

 

“You are too,” Eunji points out. She’s still calm. Her voice is still even. However, when Naeun glances down, she notices a small crack in the ground by Eunji’s foot. 

 

Chorong scoffs, “Princess Naeun requested me. What is your reason?”

 

Naeun opens to scold Chorong, because this is not the time or place, but Eunji beats her to it by harshly replying, “My excuse is that your nation killed our older and experienced fighters. If you have a problem with me, take it up with your princess and her lord father.”

 

Chorong looks as if she’s about to lunge, and Naeun makes to grab her wrist.

 

“Enough!” King Huh Gak snaps, making all three women shrink away. He suddenly looks much older and wiser than before as he stares at them with clear disappointment. “This is a time of peace. I will not have such childish bickering going on, especially not with two highly ranked officers. Am I clear?”

 

“Yes, Your Majesty.” 

 

King Huh Gak closes his eyes for a moment then sighs. He looks at Naeun and says, “A servant will show you and your guard where you’ll be staying for the week. Please let them know if you need anything else. For now, I have a few more meetings to attend to, if you’ll excuse me, princess.” He glances out of the corner of his eye and says firmly, “Eunji, with me.”

 

“But, Your Majesty…” Eunji begins to say.

 

King Huh Gak just shakes his head. “Bomi will stay with them.” He looks back to them. “She is Eunji’s second-in-command. She’ll make sure nothing goes wrong as you get settled. I don’t suspect there will be any issues, but just in case… I hope you have a good stay, Princess Naeun.” King Huh Gak offers a wan smile before he departs, Eunji following after him as a graceful shadow once more. 

 

As soon as King Huh Gak is out of sight and ear shot, Naeun turns on Chorong furiously and demands, “What is wrong with you? Are you the captain of my guard or some petty child? How could you embarrass me like that in front of the King of the Earth Kingdom?”

 

Chorong flushes under the scolding but still stubbornly argues, “You heard her. Twenty-one!”

 

“And I’m twenty, and you’re twenty-three!” Naeun shouts. She stares Chorong down and says, “You, of all people, should realize that age means nothing in this.” She sighs and shakes her head. “Embarrass me like that again, and you’re off my guard.”

 

“Naeun–”

 

“I mean it,” Naeun cuts her off sharply. “You may be my friend, Chorong, but I cannot afford for anything like that to happen again. Are we clear?”

 

Chorong looks anything but happy as she scowls and says, “We’re clear, Princess Naeun.”

 

-

 

“I should’ve earthbended a rock into that pretty little face of hers!” Eunji growls as she sends three rocks crashing into the practice dummy she has set up in the middle of the courtyard. “How dare she judge me for my age when she can’t be more than a couple of years older!”

 

Bomi sighs as she watches her friend lift two more rocks into the air and kick them with so much force that the dummy snaps clean off the stick. “Don’t let her get to you,” Bomi tells her. “She doesn’t knowing anything. King Huh Gak chose you for a reason.”

 

Eunji is still scowling as she holds out her hand, and a moment later, a piece of metal shrapnel flies to her palm. It doesn’t pierce the calloused skin though. Instead, it stops less than an inch away and slowly molds into a smooth ball. It’s something Eunji does to calm herself since metalbending tends to require more focus. 

 

“When I heard the princess’s captain was close to our age, I thought we could be friends,” Eunji admits as she grabs the metal ball and tosses it to Bomi. 

 

Bomi catches it easily and says, “I guess you’re stuck with me still.”

 

Eunji laughs and sends Bomi a crooked smile. She holds out her hand, and the metal floats back to her. As she focuses on reshaping the metal into something else, Eunji says, “I didn’t mean it like that. I just thought it would’ve been cool. King Huh Gak is always talking about peace and international relations. He made it sound so easy.”

 

“Peace doesn’t mean you have to get along with everyone,” Bomi reasons, smiling as the metal becomes a pretty flower in Eunji’s hands. “That being said, don’t shut her out immediately. I talked to her a little bit when I was getting them settled, and I think she’s just under a lot of pressure.”

 

“Aren’t we all?” Eunji drawls as she adds the finishing curl to the petals of the metal flower. She sighs then tosses it over her shoulder. “I can’t wait for this stupid signing to be over. I like it way better when King Huh Gak doesn’t have to play the stuffy politician.”

 

“You mean when he’ll skive off his duties when he can and play games with us?” Bomi says with a knowing laugh.

 

Eunji grins and says, “I said what I said.”

 

“Hey, is this yours?”

 

Both guards look up to find a Fire Nation soldier standing a few feet away, cradling Eunji’s flower in her hands. She’s even younger than them, with bright eyes and roundish cheeks, but a lot taller. Probably as tall as the princess herself. 

 

“Yeah,” Eunji answers finally, still eyeing the kid curiously. “You can have it though. I can make another one.”

 

The kid’s eyes grow wide. “You made this?”

 

“Yeah,” Eunji nods nonchalantly, “with metalbending.”

 

The kid is at Eunji’s side in an instant as she squeals, “Metalbending? I’ve only ever heard about it. I hear it’s a really hard skill to learn. They say only one in every hundred earthbenders can do it. Can I see?”

 

Eunji shares an amused smile with Bomi before asking, “Can I get a name before I show off?”

 

The kid flushes when she realizes she forgot her manners, but she quickly says, “I’m Hayoung. I’m a part of Princess Naeun’s personal guard.”

 

“Shouldn’t you be with her then?” Bomi asks, not unkindly.

 

Hayoung shrugs. “She likes it better when it’s just her and Chorong, and since we’re in the palace, Chorong dismissed us until dinner.”

 

Eunji tenses at the mention of Chorong before forcing herself to relax. She claps Hayoung on the back and says, “Well, we’ll keep you company then.” With practiced ease, Eunji summons a piece of scrap metal from the pile she keeps in the corner of the courtyard and laughs at Hayoung’s wide eyes. “What should I make, kid?”

 

“Make a turtle-duck!” Bomi calls out.

 

“You always want a turtle-duck,” Eunji rolls her eyes. “Besides, I was asking the kid, not you.”

 

“I’m not a kid,” Hayoung argues. “I’m eighteen.”

 

“Still younger than me,” Eunji shrugs, “so you’re still a kid.”

 

Hayoung looks like she wants to argue, but then she just sighs and asks, “Can you make a lion turtle?”

 

“I can try,” Eunji says warily. “I’m still pretty new to this, so I’m not sure I can manage all the details of a lion turtle.” Using both of her hands, she suspends the metal between the two of them. She stares intently at the metal, almost zoning out as she focuses. Slowly, the metal folds in on itself and smooths out into a simple ball. Then, it begins to morph, first with the head then its legs. Then bit by bit, trees sprout along the back and swirls etch themselves into the face and legs. It takes Eunji almost seven minutes to end with something she’s satisfied, and she’s sweating through her uniform, but by the end of it, she’s proudly handing Hayoung a passable lion turtle.

 

“That was so cool!” Hayoung cheers as she accepts gift. “Thanks!” She inspects the little figurine curiously and says, “I wish I could do something cool like this, but I don’t think I can with fire.”

 

“Lava,” Bomi suggests immediately.

 

Eunji nods vigorously and says, “Bomi and I have been talking about this. You can ride on it the way waterbenders do on water.”

 

“Doesn’t that count as earth though?” Hayoung points out. Eunji and Bomi immediately look at each other and deflate, making the younger girl laugh. “Sorry to burst your bubble.”

 

“It’s okay,” Bomi assures her. “Now we know to brainstorm about something else.”

 

“I brainstorm best when I spar,” Eunji says as she tugs off her sweaty uniform top, leaving herself in a simple white tank. “Want to be my partner, Hayoung?”

 

Hayoung looks between Eunji and Bomi, but Bomi just smiles encouragingly and explains, “We both find it more fun to spar with people outside of our element. I’ll probably want to spar with you after Eunji gets tired.”

 

Unused to being anyone’s pick as a sparring partner, Hayoung smiles shyly and nods, “Sure, sound fun.”

 

-

 

Namjoo is on her way to visit Naeun before dinner when she notices a woman limping along the hall. She’s dressed in the emerald green of the Earth King’s personal guard, so Namjoo walks up to her carefully, making sure she walks loud enough to be heard. Sure enough, the woman pauses and glances over her shoulder with a look like she’s been caught doing something she isn’t supposed to be doing.

 

“Are you okay?” Namjoo asks as she stops a foot away. Her eyes scan the woman with a healer’s precision and narrows in on the impressive burn that covers most of her left leg. “Oh my god! What happened?”

 

The woman’s eyes go wide as she insists, “I’m fine! It’s just a sparring injury!”

 

“It needs to be healed immediately,” Namjoo tells her, reaching out and grabbing her arm. “Come here, there’s a bench just outside. I can heal it for you.”

 

If possible, the woman’s eyes grow even more as she tries to argue, “You don’t have to bother. I was just on my way to the palace’s doctor. He’ll give me a salve, and then I’ll be good as new.”

 

“I can heal it in just a few minutes if you would just come with me,” Namjoo retorts. She practically manhandles the woman outside and onto the bench. As she sits there, the woman sulks but watches curiously as Namjoo bends water from the pouch she always keeps on her. “It shouldn’t hurt, but if it does, tell me,” Namjoo says as she moves the water over the burn. With smooth back-and-forth motions, the water begins to glow, and Namjoo watches as the woman begins to relax.

 

After Namjoo works in silence for a few minutes, the woman shifts a little and mumbles, “Thanks for this. I’m Bomi, by the way, one of the king’s personal guards.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Bomi,” Namjoo says sincerely. She offers a friendly smile before asking, “Do you mind if I ask how you got this? I hope Chorong didn’t lose her temper already.”

 

Bomi snorts, “Oh, she did, but this wasn’t her. I was sparring with another Fire Nation guard, and I didn’t move fast enough. Poor kid looked like she was going to cry when she saw what she did.”

 

“Aww, did you make sure to tell her you weren’t going to die before you left?” Namjoo teased.

 

“Of course not, I want to see her mourn me properly,” Bomi grins. She looks down to where Namjoo is almost done healing her and comments, “You’re really good at this.”

 

Namjoo smiles shyly at the compliment and ducks her head. She’s seemingly focused on the burn as she says, “I’m one of the best healers in my village, probably only second to my father.”

 

“That’s really impressive,” Bomi tells her with a bright smile. She sighs a little in relief when Namjoo finishes and bends the water back into her pouch. Bomi flexes her leg then says, “Wow, you’re kind of amazing. I’m pretty sure I would’ve been walking with a limp for a few days, even with the salve.”

 

“We can’t have King Huh Gak down a personal guard, can we?” Namjoo smiles.

 

Bomi laughs as she stands back up. “You’re right. The Earth Kingdom thanks you for your service.” She rubs at the back of her neck then says, “I guess I’ll see you around for the next few days.”

 

Namjoo bites her lip and nods. “You will.”

 

“I look forward to it then,” Bomi smiles, and it lights up her whole face. “See you around… Wait, I never got your name?”

 

“Namjoo.”

 

“Namjoo,” Bomi repeats, eyebrows knitting together. “As in… The niece of the Southern Water Tribe’s chief?”

 

Namjoo bites her lip again, this time to keep from laughing. “Exactly like that,” she tells her.

 

“Oh,” Bomi says, eyes going wide again like when she first saw Namjoo. “Um, well, it was nice to meet you then.” She starts backing away slowly, like a cornered animal, and Namjoo watches with unabashed amusement. “See you later,” Bomi spits out before she’s practically running away.

 

Namjoo watches her go with a small laugh before shaking her head and resuming her walk to Naeun’s room. She commits Bomi and her name to memory, making a note to make sure she sees her again before she leaves.

 

With a short, perfunctory knock, Namjoo lets herself into Naeun’s room where Chorong is lounging on the couch with some fire flakes and Naeun is wrestling herself into her formal robes for tonight’s dinner.

 

“Namjoo!” Naeun smiles happily as soon as she notices the other woman. Tripping over the long robes, Naeun practically crashes into Namjoo as she hugs her tightly. “It’s so good to see you!”

 

“It’s great to see you too!” Namjoo replies as she hugs her tightly. When they pull away, Namjoo gives Chorong a grin. “It’s good to see you too, Captain.”

 

“You too,” Chorong nods. “Did you just get in?”

 

“Yeah,” Namjoo nods. “I dropped off my stuff then came to see the two of you.” She smiles at Naeun’s haphazard robes and says, “It looks like I was just in time too. Are you planning on going out like that?”

 

Naeun pouts and says, “These robes are ridiculously complicated, and Chorong is absolutely no help.”

 

“I don’t know anything about robes,” Chorong shrugs, and Naeun just glares at her and points out, “You’re still a nobleman’s daughter. I know you wore stuff like this when you were younger.”

 

“It’s been years,” Chorong replies sweetly. “I forgot how to wear anything that isn’t my uniform.”

 

Naeun rolls her eyes, and Namjoo quickly cuts in, “It’s fine. I’ll help you, Naeun. I’m sure between the two of us we can figure it out.” Glancing at Chorong, Namjoo can’t help but add, “Besides, from what I hear, we don’t want to make Chorong mad again.”

 

“What did you hear?” Chorong demands as she sits up suddenly.

 

Naeun giggles and Namjoo smiles innocently, “I just heard you lost temper earlier, no details.”

 

“It wasn’t my fault,” Chorong huffs.

 

“It was definitely your fault,” Naeun counters as Namjoo rearranges the robes diligently. “Captain Eunji only answered the question that you asked her.”

 

“Captain Eunji?” Namjoo repeats with a smile. “I heard she’s hot.”

 

“She is,” Naeun nods.

 

Chorong scoffs, “She’s nothing special.”

 

“She’s special enough to get you all riled up,” Namjoo laughs as she finds the belt to cinch around Naeun’s waist. “Come on, be honest, Chorong. She’s probably all hot and talented, but you don’t know how to handle that, so you lashed out.”

 

Naeun laughs loudly at this while Chorong turns a bright red that resembles the fire flakes in her hand. “That is not true!” Chorong all but shrieks. “I hear she’s lazy and incompetent from other Fire Nation soldiers that have been stationed here. I don’t trust her.”

 

Namjoo shares a knowing look with Naeun before shrugging and saying, “Fine, whatever you say.”

 

-

 

Eunji and Bomi tell Hayoung that dinner was a boring affair and she was lucky to miss it as they hand her the food they smuggled out for her, a custard bun and the leg of a roast duck. Hayoung digs into her food as Eunji and Bomi continue to regal her with everything that happened during the dinner.

 

“I was convinced Chorong was going to taste test everything for Naeun,” Eunji rolls her eyes as she absently tosses a metal ball in the air. Every so often, the ball’s shape warps in the air but returns to its smooth roundness by the time it hits Eunji’s palm again. Hayoung isn’t even sure Eunji’s aware of what she’s doing. “How do you handle it, working for someone with a stick up her like that?”

 

Bomi elbows Eunji with an admonishing look, but Hayoung just shrugs with full of duck meat and says, “Chorong can be a bit much, but she’s a good captain.”

 

“Don’t listen to her,” Bomi says, slinging an arm around Eunji’s neck and squishing their cheeks together. “She’s just grumpy that Chorong isn’t interested in her.”

 

“I am not!” Eunji squawks, pushing Bomi away, while Hayoung laughs. “Who would want to be with someone who can burn you alive in bed?” Then she pauses and glances at Hayoung. “No offense.”

 

Hayoung almost chokes on her food from laughing. She smiles and assures Eunji, “None taken.”

 

“Speaking of Chorong,” Bomi says, looking up at the rising moon, “we should start our patrol before she busts our asses for hanging out with Hayoung.”

 

“Then we just blame her insubordinate underling,” Eunji replies smartly, winking at Hayoung to let her know she’s kidding. She reaches up and tousles Hayoung’s hair playfully as she goes. “Make sure to grab something from the kitchens before bed, kid. You’re still a growing girl. You need more than some scraps for dinner.”

 

With that, Eunji and Bomi leave Hayoung at her post just inside the palace grounds. It’s the worst post to have, but she’s not only the youngest guard but also the newest. It’s only natural she get stuck here. It still though. Hayoung finishes off her food then stretches her arms over her head. Judging by the moon, she still has an hour or two before she’s relieved.

 

Hayoung doesn’t mind too much, especially after the snack Eunji and Bomi brought her. She’s used to having to occupy herself. It usually just leads to mindless wondering. Sometimes, she thinks what her life would be if Chorong hadn’t found her on the street five years ago. She certainly wouldn’t be working as a personal guard to the Fire Nation’s princess. She isn’t even sure she would’ve made it this far in life. Her firebending had been unpredictable, still is sometimes, given Bomi’s injury this afternoon. Hayoung could’ve hurt a lot of people. 

 

With a soft puff of air, Hayoung decides to go through her forms, restless from her train of thought. Firebending always relaxes Hayoung, even if it’s just going through the poses for it. Something about the routine and rhythm soothes her. 

 

Hayoung makes it through all of her stances twice before an Earth Kingdom soldier comes to replace her. Not a personal guard though, Hayoung notes. This soldier wears the brownish robes of the Dai Li, the Earth Kingdom’s police, not the fitted green uniform that Eunji and Bomi wear. Shrugging, Hayoung goes to the kitchen like Eunji suggested and immediately finds herself doted upon by the chefs there. Apparently Eunji made it a point to mention to the kitchen staff Hayoung would be stopping by.

 

After eating almost an entire duck by herself along with an ungodly amount of crab puffs and cabbage noodles, Hayoung practically waddles from the kitchen. She doesn’t remember the last time she ate so well. Possibly never. Definitely not when she was on the streets, and as a guard, she’s usually only served the simplest of dishes, usually of Fire Nation origin, not Earth Kingdom. 

 

When she gets back to the room she’s sharing with two other guards, Hayoung finds one already asleep and the other reading a book. Although Sooyoung and Woohee are good friends, and it’s hard not to be when they spend almost all of their time together, Hayoung doesn’t feel like talking to them tonight. 

 

Changing from her uniform into a more casual red tunic and leggings, Hayoung slips back out of the room with a small wave to Sooyoung. It would be smarter to take after Woohee and get some rest, but Hayoung has never been to the Earth Kingdom before and she’s curious. This is why Hayoung just wanders aimlessly through the palace. The architecture and colors are so foreign and pretty to her that it’s a nice way to pass the time, especially when she’s not really needed with Chorong glued to Naeun’s side. 

 

Eventually, Hayoung comes upon a pretty garden area. She peeks around, but after finding no one, she ventures out some more. It’s not really a garden so much as a grassy area with a small pond, but it’s better than the dusty rock that’s usually outside. Hayoung toes off her shoes and smiles at the feel of grass under her feet. She shuffles around a bit before plopping down and laying down to stare at the stars.

 

It reminds her of when she was young. She’d climb onto whatever building she could manage and just look at the stars. It made life more bearable.

 

Hayoung lays there for a while, until she hears someone walk outside with a soft gasp. Bolting up, Hayoung stares wide-eyed at Princess Naeun. She scrambles onto her feet immediately, absently brushing off any grass or dirt that clung to her.

 

“P-Princess!” Hayoung stammers. She fidgets under the other woman’s stare and ducks into a hasty bow. “I’m sorry. Am I not supposed to be here?”

 

Naeun smiles softly, and Hayoung feels her heart skip at the sight. It’s then that Hayoung realizes the princess is not in her usual robes, but rather a simple tunic not unlike her own. Not only that, but her hair is not in its customary bun and fire emblem pin. She looks soft and human and approachable, and Hayoung feels her heart lodge itself in . 

 

“You’re fine,” Naeun assures her gently. She shifts a little and offers a kind smile. “I was just on my way to wake up Chorong because I wanted to take a walk around the grounds. On my way, I saw someone from the window and came to see who. Since you’re already awake, would you like to join me for my walk instead? I’d hate to unnecessarily wake Chorong. She’s always so grumpy if you wake her before she wants.”

 

Hayoung barks out a laugh before slapping a hand over once she remembers who she’s in front of. However, Naeun just laughs too and looks at her expectantly. With a nervous smile, Hayoung nods slowly and says, “I’d be honored to accompany you, Princess.”

 

“Thank you,” Naeun says with a smile that makes Hayoung’s smile even more shaky and nervous. She waits for Hayoung to join her before resuming her walk. She walks at a sedate pace, like she has nothing better to do. Like she’s enjoying life. It makes Hayoung wonder how often she does this. “You’re up awfully late,” Naeun says, eyeing Hayoung with a curious smile.

 

Hayoung just grins and points out, “So are you.”

 

“I am,” Naeun agrees with a soft laugh. She gives a small shrug and says, “I couldn’t sleep. I usually have trouble when I sleep somewhere other than home. What about you?”

 

“Not tired,” Hayoung replies easily. “Once I feel like it, I’ll be able to sleep in a second. I can sleep anywhere.”

 

“Can you?”

 

Hayoung says without thinking, “Had to.”

 

Naeun slows her pace to a complete, looking at Hayoung with renewed interest. She hesitates for a moment before asking, “You’re her, aren’t you? You’re the orphan Chorong took in a few years ago?”

 

Hayoung takes a deep breath before she lifts her chin defiantly to her princess. She feels like she might vomit, even as she says confidently, “I am.”

 

“I didn’t realize you had grown so much,” Naeun murmurs with an almost awed look. She smiles shyly and says, “Thank you for serving me.”

 

“It’s nothing,” Hayoung says immediately, feeling her cheeks flush. “Chorong might’ve taken me in, but it was your family that provided for me, my training. I wouldn’t be here if not for the Son dynasty.”

 

This time it’s Naeun who flushes, a delicate pink on her pale cheeks. She looks away and clears . “Come, let’s keep walking. You can tell me all about your training as we walk.”

 

“My training?” Hayoung questions as she walks to keep up with the princess. “Why?”

 

“I can’t be curious about this mysterious woman who’s climbed the ranks despite her background?” Naeun replies, using a tone as if this is obvious. “I want to know who is in my personal guard.”

 

Hayoung swallows nervously but nods. “Of course, Princess Naeun.”

 

-

 

Eunji wakes up to loud banging on her bedroom door. She blinks blearily, already half-pissed off at being awoken like this. Then she glances out her window and sees the sun is just beginning to rise. Okay now, she’s really pissed off. Throwing off her blanket, Eunji lurches out of bed, already set on yelling at whoever’s on the other side of the door.

 

When she sees just who’s been knocking on her door before the sun has even risen, Eunji swears she physically feels her blood pressure rise. 

 

“Chorong, is there a reason you are interrupting my sleep?” Eunji all but hisses as she glares at the woman in front of her.

 

Chorong is not fazed one bit, standing there with her arms crossed and a thinly veiled look of disgust on her face. “My apologies. I thought you would be awake already to ensure the palace is safe.”

 

“I wasn’t,” Eunji replies harshly, seeing the barb for what it is, “because unlike you, I’m not a complete control freak and trust my people to do their job.”

 

Chorong turns red before she practically yells, “Spar me, right now!”

 

“What?” Eunji can’t help but laugh in disbelief. “What, right here, in this palace with me in my pajamas?” Eunji watches as Chorong realizes that Eunji has answered the door in only boxers and a tank. She smirks in satisfaction as Chorong’s face turns even redder as she sputters incoherent words. Not interested, ha. Bomi doesn’t know what she’s talking about. “My face is up here, Captain,” Eunji teases. 

 

“I wasn’t looking!” Chorong shrieks, even as she turns an impossible shade of red. Eunji wonders if it’s the fire in her veins that lets her turn that color. Chorong huffs, and for a moment, it looks like she’s going to set Eunji on fire. Instead, Chorong settles for glaring at her harshly and saying, “Meet me in the training yard as soon as your dressed.” It isn’t a request. Chorong spins on her heel and storms away, snapping at every poor servant she passes.

 

With a roll of her eyes, Eunji closes her door and gets ready for the day. She’s already awake because of that bothersome woman. She might as well make some use of her time. After using the restroom and brushing her teeth, Eunji throws on some old clothes to spar in and ties her hair up and out of the way. 

 

When Eunji gets to the training yard, Hayoung is there, chatting with the Water Tribe girl, Namjoo. A few feet away from them is Chorong, stretching out her muscles in a simple black tank and loose training pants. Eunji’s mouth goes dry at the sight, but then Eunji is shaking her head roughly and reminding herself that’s the same woman who woke her up so early. 

 

“Morning, Eunji!” Hayoung calls out when she notices her. She gives the older woman a toothy grin as she asks, “Ready to spar with my captain?”

 

Eunji smirks and calls back, “I think the real question is whether she’s ready to spar with me.”

 

This makes Hayoung and Namjoo yell over the comeback and holler in excitement for impending spar. Eunji walks over them to talk some more as she starts stretching, introducing herself more casually to Namjoo who she finds to be friendly and witty. As she stretches and talks to them, Eunji makes a point to keep an eye on Chorong who quietly keeps to herself while the rest of them talk. Is she always such a loner?

 

After a few more minutes of talking, Chorong asks her irritably, “Are you done stretching yet?”

 

Eunji gives Hayoung and Namjoo an annoyed look, making them giggle, before walking over to where Chorong is impatiently bouncing on her toes in the center of the yard. Eunji makes a show of stretching her neck and flashing a breezy smile before she says, “I wanted to give you all the time you needed to prepare.”

 

“Stop acting like you’ve already won,” Chorong says, and the way her face scrunches up would be cute if Chorong wasn’t so annoying. 

 

“Just giving you a fair chance,” Eunji replies simply. She toes off her shoes and tosses them off to the side. She plants her feet firmly on the ground, reveling in the feeling of the Earth beneath her feet. Raising loose fists up, Eunji says, “Hit me with your best shot.”

 

Chorong, bless her heart, really tries. She doesn’t hold back, sending three balls of fire straight for Eunji’s face, but Eunji didn’t get to her captain position through sheer luck. She swiftly ducks around the consecutive shots before lifting the ground beneath Chorong’s feet. The way the ground suddenly shoots up knocks Chorong into the air and onto the ground, and before she can gain her footing again, Eunji slams a boulder in her direction.

 

As Eunji watches Chorong scramble out of the way, all she can think is that Chorong has never fought an earthbender in her life, and it shows. But Eunji, she’s spent her entire life fighting firebenders. Chorong thinks she’s a fighter, and maybe she is, but Eunji is a survivor.

 

“You can give up!” Eunji shouts to her as she lifts a wall of rock to block the wave of fire coming straight for her. She feels the heat beat through the rock and grins. Her spar with Hayoung yesterday hadn’t been nearly as aggressive. Chorong isn’t holding back, and Eunji is loving it. “I won’t judge you for it!”

 

“I never give up!” Chorong replies sharply, and suddenly she’s jumping over Eunji’s wall. It catches Eunji off-guard for just one moment, but then Eunji snaps out of it and has enough sense to fling a storm of pebbles at her. Harmless but annoying. It distracts Chorong enough for Eunji to lower the wall back into the Earth and dart away from the flames Chorong sends. “Why don’t you give up?”

 

Eunji grins, but it’s not friendly at all. It’s barely contained violence. Eunji watches Chorong flinch away at the look. Eunji chuckles, “I’m just getting started, sweetheart.”

 

Sliding her feet along the ground, Eunji slips between Chorong’s blasts of fire. As she moves, she raises her arms, bringing chunks of rock with her. She uses them as shields at first, but then Chorong aims for her feet glued to the ground, and Eunji is forced to leap into the air. She makes the most of it and kicks one of the boulders at Chorong. Eunji lands roughly, having to roll to soften the blow, but when she looks up she smiles in satisfaction at the sight of Chorong on the ground, surrounded by broken rock.

 

Eunji springs back onto her feet, and with in one swift slide of her foot, a rock juts out from the ground and slams into Chorong, sending her flying across the training yard. It isn’t as forceful as Eunji can make it, but Chorong still lands several feet away from her original spot with a thud and a groan. 

 

After Chorong doesn’t move to get up, Eunji slowly makes her way to her. She thinks it’s a trap, and it sort of is. When she gets close enough, Chorong flings one last attempt of a fireball at her and nearly scorches Eunji’s eyebrows off. Eunji dodges at the last second though. With a flick of her hand, she traps Chorong’s hands under cuffs of rock and stares at her curiously. 

 

“Tell me,” Eunji says, because she needs to know, “Have you ever fought an earthbender before me?”

 

Chorong glares up at her. Somehow, she manages to look down at Eunji even though she’s the one who is literally on the ground. “I haven’t. So what?”

 

“A hollow victory then,” Eunji mutters. She released Chorong’s hands and sighs heavily. “How did you expect to win this fight when you’ve never fought an earthbender, let alone a highly skilled one?”

 

“It shouldn’t matter,” Chorong argues as she gets back onto her feet, ignoring the hand Eunji offers her. “I’m one of the best firebenders of my entire nation.” She huffs and crosses her arms, staring moodily at the space between them. “I should’ve been able to put up more of a fight.”

 

“How can you when you don’t even know what to expect?” Eunji points out. “You probably didn’t even know an earthbender could do some of the things I did today. Or if you did, you’d only ever read about it.” Eunji looks at Chorong with narrowed eyes. “You may be the best in your nation, but don’t forget there are three other nations in the world too.”

 

Chorong eyes her seriously, as if actually contemplating her words.

 

With a sigh, Eunji backs off and says, “Whatever. You got your spar. I’m gonna go shower before breakfast.” She gives Hayoung and Namjoo a lazy wave as she walks away. As she leaves, she calls over her shoulder, “Call me when you’re ready for a real spar.”

 

-

 

It’s when they’re on the way to the meeting to discuss all of the terms before re-signing that Naeun whispers to Chorong, “I heard you got your kicked this morning.”

 

Chorong almost trips over air in surprise. She makes sure they’re alone in the hall before she hisses, “Who told you? Namjoo?”

 

“Hayoung,” Naeun corrects her. She smiles sweetly and says, “You better not punish her for telling me either.”

 

Chorong pauses for a moment, trying to figure out why Naeun is talking to Hayoung at all. She decides to ask about that later. Shaking her head, Chorong admits quietly, “I got cocky. I’m one of the best fighters in our nation, but I didn’t think about that’s only been against other firebenders. Eunji made it clear to me that earthbending is very different from firebending.”

 

“Wow, you really must’ve gotten your kicked if you’re admitting that,” Naeun murmurs, only smiling wider when Chorong hits her arm. She eyes Chorong for a moment before saying, “I take it back. I don’t hate traveling anymore.”

 

“Yeah?” Chorong says with a short huff of laughter. “Why’s that?”

 

“I don’t think we would’ve learned some of the things we have if we hadn’t come here,” Naeun explains. Her smile softens, and Chorong wonders who brings the look to her friend’s face. She’s definitely thinking of someone. With a smooth shrug, Naeun says, “Maybe look at Eunji as a friend to learn from rather than an enemy to hate.” 

 

“You don’t even really know her,” Chorong points out, even though she’s just arguing out of pure stubbornness at this point. “She’s a pain in the .”

 

“Oh, I don’t doubt that,” Naeun laughs as they arrive at the palace’s council room. “That doesn’t mean she doesn’t know what she’s doing though.” With a quick wink, Naeun tells Chorong before she leaves, “Think about it.” 

 

Chorong watches the door shut firmly behind Naeun and sighs softly to herself. She wishes she could stay with her, but the leaders were firm on one guard per nation in the room, and Naeun chose Hayoung. There also isn’t a point in staying outside because there are at least a dozen Earth Kingdom guards in the vicinity. Clasping her hands behind her back, Chorong decides to just walk around the palace. 

 

As she’s walking, Chorong finds herself heading back to the same training yard from this morning. It isn’t empty now though. Chorong hovers in the doorway as she watches what appears to be a class going on. 

 

Eunji stands in front of about twenty Earth Kingdom guards. Everyone is out of uniform, instead wearing baggy tan pants and plain green shirts. Despite the drab outfit, Eunji still emanates strength, eyes sharp as she watches her subordinates go through their forms. After the guards practice a few times, Eunji calls each one of them forward to demonstrate. 

 

The first person steps forward, and Chorong jumps when a rock suddenly shoots from the Earth as they move. With taut muscles and a determined look, the guard sends the rock forward and into another rock a few yards away that’s in the vague shape of a human. Eunji claps the person on the shoulder then calls up the next person. As the next gets ready, Eunji casually lifts her hand, and another rough statue springs up from the ground. 

 

Chorong watches the rest of the class avidly, trying to commit to memory the way they move. The way earthbenders are rigid and tough and absolutely nothing like firebenders. They really are different. Chorong ends up staying and watching the entire time, and she blinks in surprise when Eunji dismisses the guards with a wide grin. 

 

Pressing herself against the wall, Chorong lets a swarm of guards pass by her before she hesitantly pokes her head back out. Eunji is still there, practicing her own forms with slow, measured moves. Chorong finds her eyes drawn to the smooth muscles, almost mesmerized by how Eunji shifts to and fro. 

 

“Are you just gonna stare at me all afternoon?” Eunji calls out, and Chorong jumps guiltily. Eunji smiles and stops practicing, looking straight at where Chorong is hiding. With a pointed tap of her foot, she says, “A tip for the future, it’s pretty hard to sneak up on an earthbender who has seismic sense. I’ve felt you shuffling over there for the last hour.”

 

Chorong bites her lip as she steps out from the doorway, walking over to where Eunji and her just sparred this morning. “Hi,” Chorong says softly.

 

“Hi,” Eunji parrots back with a curious smile. “Can I help you with something?” It’s said lightly and playfully, clearly not holding any serious grudges from any of their previous interactions.

 

“I wanted to apologize,” Chorong explains shyly. She stares down at her feet, shuffling like Eunji said she did. “I’ve… I don’t travel outside of the Fire Nation often, and you were right that I forget there are other nations out there too. I was used to only my way and listened to baseless rumors.” Taking a deep breath, Chorong looks back and says, “I’m sorry.”

 

Eunji smiles softly at her, and Chorong feels her heart stutter just a little at the look. She realizes belatedly that this is the first time Eunji’s really looked at her like this. Reaching out, Eunji lightly punches Chorong’s shoulder and says, “Don’t worry about it. I’m flattered to have the honor of knocking you off your ridiculously high horse.”

 

Just like that, the moment is gone, and Chorong is rolling her eyes and pushing Eunji’s hand away. “Oh please,” Chorong scoffs. “You aren’t special.”

 

“Says you,” Eunji laughs. She reaches up to brush some loose strands out of her face and says, “How about this? You join me for lunch, and after we eat, I’ll show you some not-so-special earthbending moves. I might as well make sure you don’t get your kicked too badly if some loose bandits catch you on your way out.”

 

Chorong smiles a little but can’t help but point out, “You let bandits run around loose?”

 

“Of course that’s what you pick up on,” Eunji rolls her eyes. She starts walking inside as she says, “Sandbenders are slippery bastards. I’d like to see you catch all of them.”

 

“I will,” Chorong teases, “and then you’ll have to admit I’m better than you.”

 

Eunji grins, “Never.”

 

-

 

Bomi is clutching her stomach from laughing as she watches Eunji and Chorong finish their spar together for the third morning in a row. She isn’t sure when they settled into this strange truce, but it’s hilarious seeing them try to bend the out of each other and then make eyes at each other as they patch each other up. Today, Chorong got distracted by Eunji taking off her shirt and took a nasty blow to the head. Even now, Chorong’s eyes stray to Eunji’s abdomen as Eunji fusses over the blood coming from her forehead. 

 

“What’s so funny?”

 

Bomi looks up and feels her laughter get stuck in . She giggles nervously up at Namjoo, who looks down at her with a soft look of amusement. Looking away, Bomi waves a hand at the two women fussing over each other in the training yard and explains, “Sparring.”

 

“Is that what we’re calling it?” Namjoo snorts, taking a seat next to Bomi on the steps. “I thought it was Chorong’s version of courting.”

 

Bomi can’t help but chuckle and reply, “I’m pretty sure Eunji’s the one seducing Chorong.”

 

“I said courting,” Namjoo says. “Chorong doesn’t know how to seduce anyone to save her life. Look at her.”

 

Bomi looks out to where Chorong is now red-faced and helplessly dodging Eunji who, from what Bomi can tell, is trying to get Chorong to take off her shirt to check where she got hit by another rock. Shaking her head, Bomi shares a look with Namjoo before the two of them burst into laughter.

 

“They’re hopeless,” Bomi manages to say in between her giggles. 

 

“Completely,” Namjoo agrees, “but I think they’ll figure it out before Chorong leaves.” She tilts her head then says, “Speaking of leaving, I leave in three days.”

 

Bomi stills. She glances at Namjoo from the corner of her eye. “I know,” Bomi says simply.

 

To her surprise, Namjoo grabs her hand and asks, “Then why haven’t we gone on a date yet? Or, am I totally reading you wrong?”

 

Bomi gapes for a moment, her heart suddenly speeding up at an alarming rate. She hasn’t really gotten the chance to talk to Namjoo alone the last few days. Sure, she’ll usually be there with Naeun, Chorong, and Hayoung when Eunji and her run into them, but that’s not exactly conducive to trying to work out her attraction for the other woman, let alone how the other woman might feel about her. 

 

“You’re not,” Bomi finally manages to say. She stares down at their clasped hands and says, “I just wasn’t sure if I was reading you right.”

 

Namjoo laughs at this and playfully bumps their shoulders. “And here I thought I was being too obvious,” Namjoo tells her. “You may call Chorong and Eunji oblivious, but you aren’t exactly perceptive yourself.”

 

“I’m plenty perceptive!” Bomi protests. “I just…” She shrugs. “Being the king’s personal guard doesn’t exactly leave a lot of time for dating, so maybe I’m just a little out of practice.”

 

“Then let me help you practice,” Namjoo says with a small, flirty grin. She squeezes Bomi’s hand and says, “I was just about to head out to the nearby market. They have really good food out there. Why don’t you join me?”

 

Suddenly, a mess of nerves, Bomi mumbles, “Oh, I don’t know… Eunji might need me to stay with the king.” She gives a half-hearted wave to where Eunji is now laughing and Chorong is glaring at her. Their usual state. “She’s busy, you know.”

 

Namjoo smiles slightly at her before calling out, “Hey, Eunji!”

 

Eunji looks away from Chorong with a flash of confusion before she recognizes who spoke. Grinning brightly, Eunji waves and says, “Hi, Namjoo!”

 

“Is it alright if I take Bomi with me to the market for lunch?” Namjoo asks. Then, she smiles innocently and adds, “You know, for protection.”

 

Eunji sees through the excuse immediately. Everyone knows Namjoo is a talented waterbender, more than capable of taking care of herself. Eunji’s eyebrows furrow ever so slightly before they smooth out, and Eunji smiles curiously. Her eyes flick between Bomi and Namjoo before she nods. “Yeah, go ahead!” Eunji says with a wink. “I’ll let Jieun and Minah take the afternoon shift with King Huh Gak.”

 

“What are you gonna be doing?” Chorong asks.

 

“Getting treated to lunch by you, of course,” Eunji replies, dodging Chorong’s punch easily. “Come on! I’ve been working so hard in training you! Don’t I deserve something? I know a place with really good noodles.”

 

Whatever Chorong says goes right over Bomi’s head because Namjoo is tugging her onto her feet with a warm smile as she tells her, “You don’t have to go to lunch with me, if you don’t want to.”

 

“I want to,” Bomi says quickly. She blushes then says, “Let’s go.”

 

Namjoo holds Bomi’s hand the whole way to the market as they talk. Namjoo talks a lot about how different everything is from the South Pole, pointing out stalls that fascinate her. She’s bubbly and talkative, unlike a lot of the people Bomi usually spends her time with. Some days it feels like Bomi can only really be silly around Eunji, so it’s nice to be bubbly and talkative in return. 

 

“Any food allergies I should know about?” Namjoo asks as they start trailing past food carts. She flashes a teasing smile, “Any traumatic food stories to tell?”

 

Bomi laughs and shakes her head. “I’m not picky,” Bomi tells her, “but next time you see Eunji, ask her about the last time she ate sea prunes.”

 

“Not a fan?” Namjoo guesses. She looks around and brightens. Her hand tightens around Bomi’s as she points out a cart a little down the path. “Oh, this place has really good skewers! How does that sound?”

 

“I’m pretty hungry, so anything sounds good right now,” Bomi admits. She smiles sheepishly and says, “I skipped breakfast this morning.”

 

“You should be arrested for that,” Namjoo jokes. “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Don’t they feed you poor guards?”

 

“I overslept,” Bomi says, rubbing the back of her neck. “I managed to grab an apple on my way to the training yard though.”

 

“That won’t do!” Namjoo replies, pulling Bomi along. She greets the vendor happily and orders enough to feed the entire Earth Kingdom army, so while she’s busy paying, Bomi wanders off to buy them some egg custard tarts from her favorite lady a few stalls down. The woman greets her warmly and tells her to visit soon, explaining her son is thinking about joining the army. 

 

Bomi agrees to come back soon and manages to come back just as Namjoo is finishing. “Think you’ve got enough food there?” Bomi teases as she helps grab a bag from Namjoo, the mouth-watering scent of freshly grilled meat wafting from it. “Where should we eat?”

 

“I found this tree the other day,” Namjoo tells her excitedly. “It’s huge, so it’s nice and shaded underneath it.” She leads Bomi to a familiar tree, one that Eunji and her used to hide in during their training days. “Nice, huh?” Namjoo beams as she plops down and starts pulling out all of the food.

 

“You explore a lot,” Bomi comments. There’s no other way to find this tree unless you’re just wandering. Not to mention, the street of food vendors Namjoo took her to is more of a local place than a tourist one.

 

Namjoo shrugs as she hands Bomi a handful of skewers. She takes a bit of her own and says, “I travel a lot for my tribe, and just staying in one place gets so boring when there are so many more interesting places out there. Imagine going to the South Pole and just staying in an igloo the whole time. Doesn’t that sound awful?” 

 

“That makes sense,” Bomi nods. “I’ve never been out of the Earth Kingdom, but you’re right, I would wanna see the places I travel to.”

 

“You’ve never left?” Namjoo asks curiously.

 

“Not from the Earth Kingdom,” Bomi shakes her head. She finishes off her meat and uses the skewer to draw absent-mindedly on the dusty ground. “Eunji and I grew up in a small village closer to Omashu. We honestly never planned on leaving, but someone traveling through our village saw us bending one day. They said we were really talented and suggested we go to Omashu for proper training. I think we were probably only fourteen at the time, but our parents let us. We shared this really small apartment for about two years, and when I say really small, I mean it was basically one room with a twin bed that Eunji and I shared.” Bomi laughs fondly at the memory and continues, “The year we turned sixteen, we were recruited for the Royal Army in Ba Sing Se. We went and never really looked back. We still write our parents and send them money, but Ba Sing Se is our home now.”

 

“Wow, I didn’t know you and Eunji were so close,” Namjoo murmurs.

 

Bomi smiles warmly, “She’s like my sister.”

 

“You’ve already lived such an interesting life,” Namjoo says. “All I’ve done so far is run diplomatic missions for my tribe.” She sighs, suddenly stopping a skewer halfway to . That’s a bad sign. In the few days Bomi’s known her, Namjoo is never one to turn down food.

 

“You said you traveled a lot,” Bomi points out. “That’s pretty cool. You’re probably… What’s the word? Cultured.”

 

Namjoo giggles at this and says, “Maybe in the food.”

 

“That’s still something,” Bomi says. “If I ever travel, I’ll know who to ask for all the best restaurants.”

 

“Thanks,” Namjoo smiles softly. 

 

She continues eating, and with Bomi’s encouragement, she talks more about all of the places she’s traveled to and all the things she learned while there. She’s a great storyteller, full of emotion and knowing just how to phrase everything so it’s almost suspenseful. She’s also got one hell of an appetite because between the two of them they actually manage to finish all of the skewers she bought.

 

“I think I’m going to explode,” Namjoo groans as she tosses down her last skewer. “I don’t think I can eat another bite.”

 

“Not even a bite of an egg custard tart?” Bomi asks, pulling out the dessert she bought earlier.

 

Namjoo sits up immediately, saying, “I meant I could definitely eat another bite.”

 

Feeling bold, Bomi holds one out to her and says, “Say ahh.”

 

“Ahh,” Namjoo plays along. She takes a bite, and Bomi watches as she a few stray crumbs from her lips. “Delicious,” Namjoo says with a wink. “Try some!” She takes the tart from her and holds it out. “Say ahh,” Namjoo repeats with a grin. 

 

Bomi blushes but takes a bite.

 

By the time they are walking back to the palace, Bomi is practically waddling from how full she feels. “I’m never going out to eat with you again,” Bomi says. “I’m going to have to do, like, four training sets to work off everything.”

 

“It was worth it though!” Namjoo argues with a laugh. “I’m actually just giving you incentive to work out more.”

 

“Oh, is that it?” Bomi grins. “Then I guess I should be thanking you.”

 

“That’s right!”

 

Bomi leans forward, before she loses her nerve, and presses a quick kiss to Namjoo’s cheek. “Thank you,” Bomi whispers. 

 

Namjoo flushes, even as she smiles very prettily. “You’re welcome.”

 

-

 

Naeun shyly holds out the wagashi dessert, the colorful sweets illuminated by the soft glow of the moonlight. It’s about an hour after everyone else has gone to bed, but as she has grown accustomed to in the past few days in Ba Sing Se, instead of going to sleep, Naeun meets Hayoung out by the gardens for a walk around the palace grounds. 

 

“For me?” Hayoung asks with a toothy grin as she carefully accepts the desserts. She peers at them curiously then says, “They’re so pretty. How can I eat them?”

 

“You can’t let them go to waste,” Naeun reasons. “Imagine how much work the chef into making it. Are you really going to let all of that effort get tossed in the trash instead of being enjoyed?”

 

Hayoung frowns for a moment, eyebrows furrowing. Then her face relaxes into an easy smile as she looks back up at Naeun. “Yeah, you’re right. Thanks for sharing.” She delicately picks up one of the desserts shaped into a flower and looks at it. After a brief moment of hesitation, Hayoung bites into it. She grins excitedly, nodding at Naeun. “This is amazing!” Hayoung quietly exclaims. “I can’t believe I’ve never had this before.”

 

“It’s an Earth Kingdom delicacy,” Naeun tells her, smiling softly as she watches the younger woman gobble up the rest of the desserts. “They usually only serve them at special occasions, like when foreign dignitaries come to visit.”

 

“Wow, you really do get all the good stuff, huh,” Hayoung teases gently. She nudges Naeun with her elbow as she pops the last dessert into . “Really, thank you for sharing. I don’t think I ever would’ve had another chance to try something like this.”

 

Naeun can’t stop the blush that blooms across her cheeks as she replies, “You’re welcome. Now, are you ready for our walk?”

 

“Always, princess,” Hayoung nods. She holds out her arm, and Naeun places her hand in the curve of her elbow as they start to walk. Almost as soon as they start walking, Hayoung tells Naeun about her day, how she trained with Eunji and Bomi while Chorong supervised. She complains about how hard Chorong is on her, even though Chorong isn’t that much better at fighting the earthbenders than Hayoung. “I’m going to be sore for days,” Hayoung grumbles.

 

“Chorong is just trying to help you become the best,” Naeun says.

 

Hayoung snorts, “As if she’d ever let me steal that title from her.”

 

“Okay, second best,” Naeun corrects herself with a laugh.

 

After the first night and walk together, Naeun found herself completely smitten with Hayoung. The young soldier was awkward with her at first, but she soon got over her nervousness and talked to Naeun like she was just another person, not the princess of a nation. Naeun couldn’t have been more pleased with the change, enjoying Hayoung’s soft looks and sharp tongue. It quickly became clear to Naeun the young woman is goofy but hard-working, unafraid to speak frankly to her. 

 

Naeun thought it had to do with what her family had done for Hayoung at first, giving her the food and shelter she needed as an orphaned child. That is only a small part of it though. Hayoung may hold great respect for the Son dynasty, but when she looks at Naeun, she’s only seeing her, not an entire empire. Hayoung asks Naeun about her day and her favorite foods. She asks about embarrassing childhood stories. Rarely does Hayoung ever ask her anything about her ancestry, her money, her power. 

 

It’s heartbreakingly different, and Naeun is glad she ran into Hayoung the second night. It solidified this strange routine they have now, walking together every night through the palace grounds of the Earth Kingdom.

 

“I’ll be sad to say good-bye to all of this good food,” Hayoung tells Naeun, almost conspiratorially. “I mean, Fire Nation food is really good too, but it’s really fun trying all of this new stuff. Just yesterday, Namjoo brought me back these crab puffs that were just to die for. I ate like seven of them before I could stop myself.”

 

“Then maybe it’s a good thing we leave before you gain too much weight,” Naeun says, giggling when Hayoung gives her an offended look. “Don’t act like Chorong wouldn’t notice if you gained a few pounds. She’d have you running laps around the palace every morning until it was all gone.”

 

Hayoung’s nose wrinkles, but she doesn’t refute the claim. With a shrug of her shoulders, Hayoung changes the subject, “Are you gonna miss it here at all?”

 

“I guess a little bit,” Naeun says. She pauses and looks out to where they can see all of Ba Sing Se stretched out before them. “It’s a beautiful city, and it’s been nice not to constantly have work to do, but I miss home.” She glances at Hayoung for a moment before she admits quietly, “I’ll definitely miss these walks though.”

 

Suddenly, Hayoung grabs her hand, making Naeun look up at her. Smiling at her, Hayoung says, “Who says the walks have to stop? I know you walk around with Chorong back in the Fire Nation too. I’m sure she won’t mind if I give her a break sometimes.”

 

“Really?” Naeun says before she can stop herself. Her cheeks flush red, but she’s smiling. “You’ll still walk with me?”

 

“Of course,” Hayoung says with a firm nod. “I don’t walk with you out of obligation. I really enjoy talking to you.”

 

“Oh,” is all Naeun can say. She bites her lip then says, “I like talking to you too.”

 

Hayoung smiles brightly at her and gives her hand a squeeze. “Come on, let’s keep going. Even if our walks together won’t stop, we only have a few more days in Ba Sing Se. We should make sure we see everything we want to see before we go.” Still holding Naeun’s hand, Hayoung resumes walking.

 

Naeun follows her, unable to keep the smile from growing on her face as she does.

 

-

 

“What are you doing for dinner?” Chorong asks.

 

Eunji looks up from where she’s polishing her armor in her bedroom, blinking owlish at Chorong standing in her doorway. She slowly puts down her rag and armor and stares at Chorong like she’s grown a second head. “I was planning on just eating whatever the kitchen sets out after all the visitors dine,” Eunji says with a small shrug. “Or if I get hungry before that, some rice and veggies. Why?”

 

“Go out to dinner with me,” Chorong says firmly, even as her hand grips the edge of the doorway so tightly her knuckles go white.

 

“Are you asking or telling me?” Eunji asks teasingly.  

 

Chorong huffs irritably, rolling her eyes, as she says, “Just come eat dinner with me.”

 

“I guess since I don’t have anything better to do,” Eunji drawls with a raised eyebrow. “I’ll meet you out front in two hours?”

 

“Okay, see you then,” Chorong nods. She leaves without saying much else, but that’s only because her heart is beating so fast she wasn’t sure she’d make it through the conversation without throwing up. Practically speeding through the halls, Chorong slams open the door to Naeun’s temporary quarters with a pale, sweaty face. Then she processes the sight of Naeun and Hayoung sitting together on the couch rather comfortably. Chorong opens then closes it then opens it again. “Am I… interrupting something?” Chorong asks awkwardly.

 

“Not at all,” Naeun tells her smoothly, but Chorong has known her long enough to see the slight twitch in her fingers that betray her words. “Hayoung, please excuse us.”

 

Hayoung blinks, “Oh, sure. It’s probably time for me to relieve one of the other guards anyways.” She flashes Chorong a nervous smile as she leaves. “Bye, Naeun. See ya, Captain.”

 

Chorong waits until the door closes behind Hayoung before she gives Naeun a pointed look. When Naeun just stubbornly stares back in silence, Chorong sighs and asks gently, “Naeun, what are you doing?”

 

“What does it look like I’m doing?” Naeun replies snippily.

 

“It looks like you’re getting too close to one of your guards.”

 

Naeun still acts like she doesn’t know what Chorong is talking about, saying, “I’m close to you too. There’s nothing wrong with it.”

 

“It’s a different kind of close, and you know that,” Chorong replies, keeping her voice as soft and non-judgemental as possible. She sits down beside Naeun and covers her hand with her own. “You know you can’t–”

 

“We’re just talking,” Naeun interrupts her. Her voice is a little desperate, like she’s trying to convince herself too. “We’re not doing anything wrong, Chorong. She’s just a friend. I know my duties.” Namely, her duty to marry someone of high standing and provide the Fire Nation an heir. 

 

Chorong purses her lips but ultimately decides to drop the subject for now. She moves her hand away and says, “Okay, I believe you. Hayoung is a good person to have as a friend.” When Naeun just glances at her suspiciously, Chorong smiles reassuringly and says, “I just came by to tell you I’ll be leaving the grounds this evening, so someone else will attend dinner with you.”

 

“Where are you going?” Naeun asks immediately, turning to Chorong with curious eyes. Then she grins knowingly. “Did you finally ask Eunji on a date?”

 

“It’s not a date,” Chorong says with a shy smile. “We’re just going to dinner.”

 

“It’s a date,” Naeun tells her. “Finally! I’m surprised Eunji didn’t beat you to it.” She giggles when she sees Chorong’s cheeks turn pink. She nudges her friend, asking, “So, where are you two eating? No, wait, more importantly, what are you wearing?”

 

Chorong frowns a little. She glances down at her guard uniform, a simple outfit with armor. Looking back up at Naeun, she gives a helpless wave at her clothes and says, “Um, this?”

 

“Chorong, no,” Naeun says, looking absolutely scandalized. She stands from the couch and goes over to the wardrobe the servants put all of her clothes in. “You can’t go on your date in your uniform. You can just borrow something of mine.”

 

“I’m not wearing your clothes,” Chorong argues as she goes over to follow.

 

Naeun ignores her words, lifting up a red dress to her with a serious look of concentration. “Do you want to wear pants or a dress? Oh, maybe a skirt?” Naeun ducks back into the wardrobe and reappears with a handful of clothes. “We have time, don’t we? Try all of this on, so we can decide.”

 

“This isn’t really necessary,” Chorong tries again. “I can just take off the armor, and I’ll be good to go.”

 

“I am not letting you do that,” Naeun tells her with a firm shake of her head. “When’s the last time you even went on a date, Chorong? I can’t let you go on your first date in who knows how long in just your uniform.”

 

“Hey, it hasn’t been that long,” Chorong lies, but Naeun just gives her an unimpressed look and points to the ornate screen for her to change behind. “Ugh, fine,” Chorong sighs, grabbing the clothes from Naeun and stomping off.

 

After a long two hours, Chorong and Naeun decide on a simple, flowy dress made of red silk and some matching pins in her hair. While Naeun happily gushes over how pretty she looks, Chorong stares at herself in the mirror and tries to think of the last time she dressed this nicely. Even for formal occasions, Chorong typically wears her uniform and nicer, ceremonial armor. 

 

“You’re going to leave Eunji speechless,” Naeun says as she walks Chorong to the door. She smiles brightly, genuinely excited for her, and gives her a brief hug. “Okay, have fun, and don’t overthink it, okay?”

 

Chorong nods and hesitantly walks through the palace halls to the front. The sandals (also borrowed from Naeun) feel so strange and light on her feet, definitely not fit for fighting. Chorong ignores the stares she gets from some of the guards who gawk at her out of her uniform, just focusing on not letting her nerves get the best of her.

 

When Chorong walks outside, Eunji is already lingering in front of the steps. She’s also out of her uniform for tonight. Surprisingly, she’s also in a dress. It’s a long dress, two-toned with a rich dark green and a muted evergreen. It has straps along her shoulders as well as sheer fabric that loops along her arms, leaving her shoulders bare. When she turns at the sound of her, half of Eunji’s dark hair is pinned back, revealing round cheeks and a warm smile.

 

“Hey,” Eunji greets her, “You look beautiful.” She says this so easily, like they haven’t been trading insults for the better part of a week.

 

Chorong swallows nervously and replies, “Hi. You look, uh…” Chorong bites her lip and mumbles, “You look beautiful too.”

 

“Thanks,” Eunji beams. She reaches out and grabs Chorong’s hand, holding it in her own warm and calloused hand. “If you didn’t have anything specific in mind, I know this quiet place in town that has the best dumplings.”

 

Chorong stares at their hands for a long moment before remembering she needs to reply, “Oh, that sounds good.”

 

They start walking, their hands swinging in between them with their fingers intertwined. Chorong has trouble focusing on much else, but Eunji does a good job at distracting her with a story about what she did after Chorong came by her room. She dramatically tells Chorong about how she had to go to a meeting with King Huh Gak with a few Earth Kingdom aristocrats, only to be condescendingly told a woman didn’t need to be there. Then, she gleefully explains how King Huh Gak practically tore that aristocrat a new , making Chorong giggle at the details.

 

“You’re not so bad when you’re relaxed,” Eunji teases her as they enter the restaurant. 

 

“You’re not so bad when you’re not being a pain in my ,” Chorong replies.

 

Like Eunji said, it’s quiet with only a few other people there. The owner greets Eunji excitedly, giving her a quick hug, before shooing her off to a corner table. When they sit, Chorong lets Eunji order and listens as she casually chats with the waiter. It seems like Eunji is a regular here.

 

“So, I have to ask,” Eunji says after some small talk while they wait for the food to arrive. She leans forward with her arms resting on the table, smiling. “Is this a date?”

 

Chorong blushes at the blunt question but manages to reply, “If you want it to be.”

 

“Then I guess it’s a date,” Eunji grins. 

 

After the food arrives, they lapse into silence for a while as they focus on eating. It’s all delicious, Chorong finds out. Everything is so flavorful and clearly homemade, done with a careful hand and a passionate heart. Chorong asks Eunji about the food, and the earthbender is more than happy to explain more about what the food culture is like in the Earth Kingdom.

 

“I don’t think I can eat anything else,” Chorong tells Eunji after the other woman orders them tea and egg custard tarts.

 

“Nonsense,” Eunji says. “You can’t just pass up the egg custard tarts from here. They’re the best in Ba Sing Se, possibly in the entire Earth Kingdom.”

 

“I doubt they’re that good,” Chorong says skeptically. 

 

Eunji smiles mischievously and says, “Okay, then why don’t we make a bet? If they’re not as good as I say they are, we can get up an hour earlier than usual to train more before you go.”

 

“And if they are as good as you say?” Chorong asks with narrowed eyes. 

 

“Then we get to sleep in and miss training for the day,” Eunji says innocently enough, but there’s something in her eyes that make it clear she’s got something else up her sleeve. “So, how about it?”

 

“Okay deal,” Chorong shrugs, not seeing the harm in it. Whatever Eunji has planned can’t be too bad, and it will be nice to sleep in for once if the tarts are that good. Not long after that, the tarts and their tea arrive, and Eunji watches expectantly as Chorong picks one up. Chorong takes a bite with little expectation, but as soon as the tart hits her tongue, she can’t stop a small moan. 

 

“I win!” Eunji laughs triumphantly, even as her cheeks are a little more flushed than they were before. She grabs a tart for herself and practically shoves the whole thing in , chewing with little flakes of pastry surrounding her lips. “They’re amazing, right?”

 

“They’re good,” Chorong agrees. She reaches for a second one and says, “I guess we’ll be sleeping in tomorrow then.”

 

Eunji’s eyes twinkle as she says, “Yeah, I guess we will.”

 

After they finish eating, Eunji takes them on a walk around the Upper Ring, showing Chorong all of the little bits of her culture as a night market comes to life and small shops open up. She holds her hand like she did earlier, gently tugging her along as she points out different things. 

 

“Come on,” Eunji says after they’ve been walking for a while. “There’s something I want you to see.” She walks Chorong away from the busy city and towards the grassy hills. It’s a good thing the sandals have no heels because Eunji takes her on a trek up one of the taller hills, and it’s actually a bit of a work-out. “Sorry,” Eunji says when Chorong slips a little on a rock. “I promise it’s worth it though.”

 

And it is. Eunji has taken her to the hill that gives them the best view of Ba Sing Se and all of its rings, the city twinkling below them like something out of a story. Eunji smiles as she looks at the city before them, and Chorong can’t help but stare at her, her face illuminated by the distant glow of the lanterns and a beautiful smile.

 

Sensing her gaze, Eunji turns to her with a knowing smirk. She squeezes Chorong’s hand and pulls her a little closer. “Thanks for asking me out on a date,” Eunji tells her with a slight grin.

 

“Someone had to do it,” Chorong says, making Eunji.

 

“Forgive me if I am not an expert yet on reading you,” Eunji chuckles. “I really couldn’t tell if you wanted to strangle me or kiss me.”

 

Chorong doesn’t hesitate to answer honestly, “A little bit of both.”

 

Eunji laughs loudly and nods, “Good to know.” She smiles at Chorong so brightly, and Chorong asks herself how she went from Eunji nearly throwing a rock at her at their first meeting to her smiling at her like this. “What are you thinking about?” Eunji asks her suddenly.

 

“You,” Chorong replies without thinking. Then she realizes what she said and flushes from head to toe. She shakes her head at Eunji’s pleased look and ducks her head. “Don’t let that go to your head.”

 

“How can I not?” Eunji says. “The esteemed Fire Nation Captain is thinking about me, a simple earthbender.”

 

“You’re not just some simple earthbender,” Chorong says, eyes snapping back up to meet Eunji’s. “You’re more than that.”

 

Eunji tilts her head, suddenly looking serious. “Am I?”

 

Chorong stares at the woman before her, who made her realize there’s more than just firebending, who helped her learn how to fight against other elements, who made her laugh despite herself and annoyed the ever living out of her. Without any doubt, Chorong tells her, “You are.” Then, because it feels right, Chorong leans forward and presses soft kiss to Eunji’s lips. When she pulls back, Eunji has an incredibly soft look on her face as she slowly reopens her eyes. 

 

“Thank you,” Eunji murmurs, gazing out her with heavy-lidded eyes.

 

her lips, Chorong gives a small shrug. “I’m just telling the truth.”

 

“The truth, huh?” Eunji smiles. She holds Chorong’s hand tighter and uses her free hand to cup Chorong’s face. “If we’re telling the truth, then let me say that I really want to kiss you again.” When Chorong gapes wordlessly at her, Eunji laughs quietly and asks, “Can I kiss you?”

 

Chorong absent wonders if Eunji can feel her heart beating hard and fast in her chest through the vibrations echoing through her body. Already leaning in, Chorong whispers, “Yes.”

 

-

 

It’s late morning when Hayoung hurries around the palace grounds like a chicken with its head cut off.

 

“Have you seen the captain?” Hayoung asks Sooyoung when she passes her in the hall. “She isn’t in the practice yard with Eunji like she usually is, and she isn’t in her room either.”

 

Sooyoung takes a bite of her apple then shrugs. “No idea. Maybe ask Princess Naeun or Captain Eunji?”

 

“Yeah, thanks,” Hayoung sighs and keeps walking. She can’t ask Naeun because she was the one who asked her to find Chorong, so she decides to swing by Eunji’s room. With any luck, she’ll be there with Chorong, just patching each other up after their usual morning spar. 

 

When Hayoung gets to Eunji’s room, she gives a quick knock, but no one replies. With a slight frown, Hayoung tries the door and finds it unlocked. She pushes it open without a second thought and immediately regrets her decision. Eunji and Chorong are there like she hoped, but nothing like she imagined. Instead of recovering from a morning spar, it looks more like they’re recovering from a late night. Hayoung’s entire face turns a bright red as she realizes Eunji and Chorong are in bed together.

 

However, before she can sneak out like she never saw them, Eunji wakes up and squints at her. “Hayoung, is that you?” Eunji asks, voice low and husky from sleep. Beside her, Chorong stirs, and that’s when Hayoung decides to just make a break for it.

 

Without replying, Hayoung darts out of the room, barely remembering to close the door behind, and practically sprints to the other side of the palace. She’s flushed and panting as she slams open the door to Naeun’s room. Inside, Naeun looks up from where she’s eating breakfast and stares in bemusement. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Naeun asks worriedly.

 

“I just walked in on Eunji and Chorong,” Hayoung blurts out.

 

Naeun chokes on the bun she just took a bite of. She coughs for a moment and takes a sip of her tea, all while staring even more wide-eyed at Hayoung. “You what?” Naeun asks as soon as she can.

 

“I was looking for Chorong,” Hayoung explains in a high-pitched, nervous voice. Her hands flutter around helplessly as she speaks. “You know, like you asked me to, but she wasn’t in the training yard, so I went to Eunji’s room to see if she was there or if Eunji knew where she was, and then no one answered when I knocked, so I opened the door, and they were just there, Naeun! I never wanted to see Chorong like that.” Hayoung stops abruptly and pales. Staring at Naeun with what can only be described as pure horror, Hayoung says, “Chorong cannot know I saw them. It never happened. Please don’t tell her. I don’t want to do fire squats until I die.”

 

At some point during Hayoung’s rambling, Naeun got up and walked over to her. Now, she gently puts her hands on Hayoung’s shoulder and tells her, “Breathe.”

 

Hayoung obeys, even as her eyes remain impossibly wide.

 

“Just forget about it,” Naeun suggests. “It didn’t happen. I asked you to go find Chorong, and you couldn’t find her. End of story.”

 

“End of story,” Hayoung repeats. She nods, finally relaxing. “Right, I didn’t see anything.”

 

Naeun smiles, trying not to laugh. “Right,” she agrees. “In fact, you’ve been having breakfast with me.” She hesitates then takes Hayoung’s hand and walks her over to the table where she’d been eating before. They sit down together, and Naeun loathes to let go of Hayoung’s hand. 

 

“Thanks,” Hayoung mutters a minute later. Almost robotically, she shoves a bun into . She rips off a huge chunk and chews moodily. “I was just… Not expecting that this morning.”

 

“I don’t think anyone ever is,” Naeun replies with a small laugh. She hands Hayoung some fruit and says, “I’m sorry my task scarred you for life.”

 

Hayoung snorts as she picks the grapes off their stems. She pops one in before saying, “I can’t say I’m all that surprised, but I didn’t need that kind of confirmation.”

 

“I’ll admit I’m glad you did,” Naeun says. “I made a bet with Namjoo, and thanks to you, I know I won.”

 

“What did you bet on?”

 

“How far Chorong would go with Eunji last night.”

 

Hayoung face screws up in disgust, and she hurriedly says, “Okay, never mind. I don’t want to know anymore. You can stop there.”

 

“Sorry,” Naeun laughs. “I know you and Chorong don’t usually talk about those kinds of things.”

 

“More like we never,” Hayoung corrects. She finishes off her grapes and reaches for one of the oranges. “We talk about… I don’t know, firebending and books we’re reading. Besides, it’s not like Chorong or I really have love lives, or at least Chorong didn’t before this.”

 

“Neither of you dated in the Fire Nation?” Naeun asks, even though she already knows the answer for Chorong. She’s really just asking for Hayoung.

 

Hayoung shrugs, almost self-consciously. “Not really. Chorong had like one girlfriend years ago, I think, but she didn’t talk about her much. Then, with me, I just didn’t really have time with all my training. I went on a date here and there with other trainees, but nothing serious.” Hayoung blushes then and looks at Naeun shyly. “I guess you can’t really relate, huh?”

 

“No, I can’t,” Naeun agrees quietly, reminded of the very hard fact that she won’t get to choose who she marries. She doesn’t get to date. “It is interesting to hear about it from others though,” Naeun adds in an effort to lighten the mood.

 

“Yeah, I guess,” Hayoung bobs her head. She tosses her orange peel on the table and stands. “Thanks for this, but I should probably head out for my shift.”

 

Naeun stands too. “Of course, anytime. Don’t work too hard, okay?”

 

“Yes, ma’am,” Hayoung says, giving her a wan smile and a mocking salute before she leaves.

 

The door shuts behind her, and Naeun sinks into the chair and sighs. 

 

-

 

Eunji isn’t sure if she hallucinated Hayoung barging into her room, but she’s awake now, regardless of whether it really happened. Sinking back into her bed, she rolls onto her side to look at the woman still asleep beside her. Chorong is really pretty when she’s all relaxed, black hair splayed out over the pillow. The again, Chorong is also really pretty when she’s all frustrated and flinging fire at her. Eunji smiles despite herself and gingerly brushes some of the hair from Chorong’s face.

 

Chorong wiggles around a little but eventually resettles with a cute sigh.

 

Smiling even wider, Eunji absently begins to run her fingers through Chorong’s hair. She hadn’t expected Chorong to ask her out, unsure of how to react to the way Chorong oscillated between enforcing her professionalism and acknowledging the attraction between them. It worked out though. Eunji enjoyed last night, spending time with Chorong outside of the training yard. Not that Eunji doesn’t love sparring with her. That’s where Eunji knew Chorong is something special. 

 

Her hand freezes, fingers tangled in Chorong’s hair, as Eunji realizes she has real feelings for Chorong. Not just she’s hot or interesting. Eunji really likes her. Unsettled by the discovery, Eunji pulls her hand away and gets out of bed. She throws on some clothes and ties up her hair, almost frenzied as she wonders when she got feelings for Chorong. Before she leaves, Eunji hesitantly presses a kiss to Chorong’s forehead then scribbles a quick note that she’s going to go train and eat breakfast. Hopefully, by the time Chorong wakes up and joins her, Eunji will have worked out her sudden anxiety.

 

Ducking out of her room, closing the door firmly behind her, Eunji jogs over to the training yard, crossing her fingers that Bomi is there to talk to.

 

-

 

Bomi winces as she watches Chorong go flying across the training yard. Again. She thought now that they’d been together, Chorong wouldn’t be as distracted, but Bomi thinks it’s just gotten worse. Or maybe, Chorong is thinking about how this will be their last morning spar together. She leaves tomorrow, early enough in the morning that there won’t be time for sparring. 

 

Chorong’s leaving doesn’t seem to be much of a problem for them though. After finding Bomi and talking through her panic over having feelings for Chorong, Bomi knows Eunji went to talk to the other woman, eventually deciding on trying long distance. She’s happy for them, especially Eunji, who’s been far too focused on work the last few years. However, their seemingly happy ending makes Bomi think about her own problems.

 

“Don’t you ever get bored of watching them?”

 

Here’s one of her problems now.

 

“I think you underestimate how entertaining they are,” Bomi tells Namjoo as the waterbender sits down beside her. “Besides, I don’t sit here the entire time. I spar with both of them, but they like to end their practices with each other.”

 

“So, they've upgraded from courting to  then?” Namjoo grins.

 

Bomi lets out a startled laugh then says, “I hate that you probably aren’t wrong.” 

 

“I’m totally right,” Namjoo says. She reaches out and holds Bomi’s hand, and Bomi fights the urge to blush. 

 

Namjoo and her have had lunch and talked occasionally, but it feels so casual that Bomi doesn’t know what to make of it. Namjoo clearly likes her, but is it only for the trip? Will she just disappear to the South Pole and leave Bomi in the dust? 

 

“What are you thinking about?” Namjoo asks her, giving her hand a squeeze. 

 

Bomi shrugs and says, “You’re leaving tomorrow.”

 

Namjoo regards her curiously then nods slowly, “I am.” When Bomi doesn’t say anything else, Namjoo frowns a little then asks, “Can you join me for some food? I want to go to the market one more time before I go.”

 

And because Bomi already can’t say no to her, she nods and lets Namjoo pull her onto her feet. They hold hands as they walk to the market, something they’ve done a few more times since the first time. Bomi’s enjoyed showing Namjoo all of the best places to eat, laughing at the faces Namjoo makes when she eats something especially good. 

 

“Do you want anything in particular?” Bomi asks Namjoo as they stand wandering between the food stalls. “Any Earth Kingdom food you want before you have to leave it all behind?”

 

Namjoo pouts and says, “I’m so sad I have to leave all this food behind. How will fish and kelp even begin to compare?”

 

“I’ll ship you whatever I can,” Bomi says.

 

“I doubt anything will make the trip without spoiling,” Namjoo replies but she’s smiling. “Thank you though.” She squeezes Bomi’s hand again then says, “How about we go to that noodle shop from the other day? I need something comforting.”

 

Bomi agrees, and as they’re walking, she can’t help but ask, “Are you really that upset to be leaving?”

 

Namjoo doesn’t answer at first. She looks at Bomi with an unreadable expression, their hands swinging idly between them. “Yes, I am,” Namjoo says finally. She stares at Bomi and asks, “What are you really asking about?”

 

“I was just asking,” Bomi lies, but when Namjoo gives her a look, she withers. She sighs and lets her head drop to her chest. She pulls them off to the side into one of the alleyways, so they aren’t in the middle of the street. “I’m sorry,” Bomi tells her. “I don’t know why I’m acting so weird, I guess I just don’t know how to act.”

 

“How come?” Namoo asks gently, stepping close enough that Bomi in a shaky breath. 

 

“You’re leaving,” Bomi says, “and I don’t know what we’ve been doing or how serious you are.” She looks at Namjoo with a sad smile and says, “I wasn’t sure if this was just something for you to do during your trip, and I didn’t want to get attached.”

 

Namjoo stares at her for a long moment then asks, “Do you really think I’d do something like that?”

 

“I wouldn’t blame you, if that’s what you’re asking,” Bomi shrugs, and she can practically hear Eunji telling her she deserves better. “It wouldn’t be the first time.”

 

“Oh, Bomi,” Namjoo murmurs. She pulls her into a hug, and Bomi melts into the warm embrace. “I’m sorry. I just… I thought it was obvious I really like you. You aren’t just some fling while I’m in town.” Namjoo pulls back and cups her face with a soft smile. “I was actually going to ask you tonight if you’d write to me after I leave.”

 

“Really?” Bomi asks, a bright smile lighting up her whole face. She leans into Namjoo’s touch. “Eunji told me you liked me, but I just wasn’t sure.”

 

“You should’ve listened to her,” Namjoo giggles. 

 

Bomi laughs and adds, “She also said that if she was wrong and you didn’t then she’d kick your .”

 

“Oh,” Namjoo wrinkles her nose, and Bomi laughs again. “Well, still. She was right about me liking you at least.” She smiles at Bomi and says, “Now that we’ve cleared that up. Are you ready to go eat noodles?”

 

“Yes,” Bomi nods. 

 

She leans forward and presses and kiss to Namjoo’s cheek. When she goes to pull away, Namjoo holds her close and kisses her softly on the lips. Bomi can’t stop the goofy smile that spreads across her face when Namjoo steps back, still holding her hand. 

 

-

 

Chorong is helping Naeun pack the last of her things as she says, “Can you believe we’re already leaving? It feels like we just landed yesterday.”

 

“You mean it feels like just yesterday you were about to fight Eunji right in front of King Huh Gak?” Naeun smirks.

 

Chorong laughs, “Yes, exactly.”

 

Naeun smiles and shakes her head as she locks her trunk. She’s enjoyed this trip far more than she thought she would. She knows it was better for Chorong and Namjoo too. She isn’t sure how they managed to find girlfriends in their short time here, but Naeun is honestly kind of impressed.

 

After instructing the servants what to do with their things, Naeun and Chorong go for one last walk through the palace then head to the front, where an airship will be waiting to take them back to the Fire Nation. Thankfully, there will be no need for a palanquin this time. 

 

Namjoo runs into them while they’re walking, shouting down the hall, “Were you jerks going to leave without saying goodbye to me?”

 

Naeun and Chorong look at each other for a split second before calling back, “No!”

 

“Liars,” Namjoo laughs as she catches up to them. “And here I was looking all over the place for the two of you.” She punches them both in the arms, making both women flinch and rub at their newly sore spots. “Are you heading out to the front now too?”

 

“Yes, after we found you,” Naeun lies sweetly.

 

Namjoo narrows her eyes and punches Naeun’s other arm. “Liar,” Namjoo repeats as they start walking again.

 

“I’m surprised you aren’t with Bomi,” Chorong says, distracting the other woman from bruising the princess too badly.

 

Namjoo flushes but retorts, “I’m surprised you aren’t with Eunji.”

 

“Eunji is probably already out front with King Huh Gak to bid us goodbye,” Chorong replies easily, going as far as to stick her tongue out childishly at her.

 

“Then that’s where Bomi probably is too,” Namjoo says, sticking out her tongue too.

 

Naeun laughs at their antics as the two of them begin to playfully bicker and tease each other about their respective lovers. It almost makes Naeun jealous. She wishes someone would about Hayoung, but that wouldn’t be proper. Chorong only vaguely alludes to it sometimes, always with lingering warnings.

 

When they arrive to the front courtyard, King Huh Gak is there with Eunji and Bomi, just as predicted. Standing by the airship are the rest of Naeun’s personal guard and the rest of Namjoo’s party form the Southern Water Tribe. Naeun picks out Hayoung easily, even with her helmet on, and fights the urge to wave. 

 

“Thank you for visiting,” King Huh Gak says as they walk up. He’s beaming and jovial as always, giving them each a firm handshake. “It has truly been a gift to have all of you here, and I hope you will visit again soon.”

 

“Just let me know if you need another treaty signed,” Namjoo jokes with an exaggerated wink.

 

King Huh Gak laughs heartily and nods, “I will, Namjoo. Always a joy to have you.” Then he turns to Naeun. “Princess, an honor to see you again. I hope after this trip we will be seeing you more often.”

 

“I hope so too,” Naeun replies honestly, any of her previous distaste for traveling gone.

 

Giving them all one more round of handshakes and bows, King Huh Gak excuses himself while Eunji and Bomi conspicuously stay behind. As soon as the king is out of eyesight, Namjoo is tackling Bomi with a hug, and Eunji is swaggering over to Chorong with a smile so wide that her eyes curve into little crescents.

 

“Write me whenever you can, okay?” Namjoo says to Bomi, pouting as she hugs the woman tightly.

 

“I promise,” Bomi replies, hugging her back just as tightly. “Every day, if I can.”

 

“I will too,” Namjoo says.

 

Meanwhile, Eunji grins as she gently pushes Chorong’s shoulder. “Don’t slack on your training,” Eunji tells her. “I don’t want an easy fight when we see each other again.”

 

Chorong rolls her eyes, saying, “Oh please. You’re the one who should be worried.”

 

“Should I?” Eunji laughs. She steps forward and presses a kiss to Chorong’s cheek, pulling back with a pleased smile. “We’ll see about that, Captain.”

 

“Yes, we will, Captain,” Chorong replies, smiling slightly. 

 

Eunji turns to Naeun then, giving her a playful salute. “Princess, a pleasure.”

 

“You as well,” Naeun nods.

 

Eunji goes to leave then stops suddenly. She turns back to Naeun and smiles, just a tad nervously. “You know,” Eunji says to Naeun, “I hope things work out.”

 

“What things?” Naeun asks, eyebrows knitting together.

 

Eunji smiles slightly before her eyes slide over to where her personal guard stands. It’s impossible to know for sure, but Naeun is almost positive her eyes land on Hayoung. Naeun stiffens at the implication as does Chorong beside her, but Eunji just keeps smiling.

 

“Hayoung promised to write to me,” Eunji mentions abruptly, tone almost too casual. “I hope to hear good things.”

 

Naeun sees no ill intent in Eunji’s eyes, only warm sympathy. Giving a small nod, Naeun replies, “I hope so too.”

 

Eunji’s smile grows ever so slightly as she inclines her head. With a parting wink to Chorong, Eunji heads over to bother Bomi and Namjoo.

 

“She knows,” Naeun murmurs.

 

“Yes,” Chorong nods. “You don’t have to worry about her though. I think her and Hayoung are just close.”

 

“Yes,” Naeun agrees, for lack of anything better to say.

 

The two of them watch Eunji tease Bomi and Namjoo enough that Namjoo yells at her to go away. Eunji’s laugh is audible even from where they stand, and they watch as Eunji drags a pouting Bomi away towards the palace.

 

Namjoo rejoins them a moment later with parting hugs, and then Naeun and Chorong are boarding their airship for a long trip home.

 

“Do you think it will be okay?” Naeun asks once the airship takes off, watching as Ba Sing Se gets smaller and smaller. 

 

Chorong stands at ease beside her, hands clasped behind her back. She doesn’t even blink as she replies, “What will, Namjoo and me trying long distance relationships with two of King Huh Gak’s personal guards, or you being half in love with one of your own personal guards?” 

 

“I was talking about the treaty we re-signed,” Naeun says, flushing at Chorong’s blunt words about her and Hayoung.

 

“Oh,” Chorong says. She pauses for a moment then looks away from the window, a slight smile on her face. “That’ll be fine too.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Chorong knows she isn’t talking about the treaty this time. She shrugs and says, “I think so. It’s just… Things are different. We just have to find our new equilibrium, get our footing again.”

 

“Right,” Naeun sighs. “It’ll be fine.” She looks out the window once more, watching as Ba Sing Se becomes no more than a dot in the distance. Behind her, she hears her personal guard puttering behind her, and Naeun stares at the reflection of the inside of the airship in the window. She sees Hayoung joking with another guard and sighs again. “It’ll be fine,” Naeun repeats softly.

 


A/N: hello! i hope you enjoyed reading this because i had a lot of fun writing it. i actually already have an idea for a sequel, so please let me know if you'd like to see it. thank you for reading!