A Brother's Promise

The Year To Remember

"Seung Hyun..."

I jump up and down trying my hardest to reach the window still but fail.

Rich people and their huge windows...

I pick up a small rock giving it a soft toss to the window pane. It bounces off making a noise hoping it's loud enough for Seung Hyun to hear. The window is on the first level but it's pretty high up.

The light came on and Seung Hyun parts the curtains looking outside. I wave my arms.

"Seung Hyun!"

He leaves momentarily and returns to the sliding door.

"Ji what are you doing here? It's 10:45pm and raining..."

He allows me in giving me a towel to dry off with.

"You texted me saying we needed to talk soon and it may be the last time. The way you said it I thought you were going to do something drastic."

He shakes his head.

"No... I'm alright I won't do anything like that. I am pretty upset though..."

I dry my hair off and sit on a wooden kitchen chair the towel underneath me to not get anything wet.

"I'm all ears talk to me."

"It's happening though they are going to divorce. Mom is moving out in a couple weeks and she wants me to go with her to Incheon, but I don't want to go, if I go with her I won't be able to go to Snow Camp, or school, we won't see each other as often. I'm scared Ji, I want to stay here, I hate changes."

A large roll of thunder booms in the sky making us both jump. Seung Hyun kneels down, screams, covering his ears. I sigh standing up then sitting next to him.

"Thunder buddies."

He sighs.

"I'm sorry for acting like this... If I had my medicine I wouldn't be crying like a huge baby. I have a really bad anxiety disorder."

I shake my head.

"Hey no worries buddy."

He finally calms down enough to talk to me more clearly.

"I'm okay now. My fear is that my Mom is gonna fight with my dad more and she'll force me to go with her."

"Buddy you're technically old enough to decide who you want to stay with they really can't force you to take sides. Your mom can try but if you want to stay with your dad you can stay with him. Speaking of your dad where is he?"

Seung Hyun shrugs.

"He said he was going to a friend's house for the night there is a four hour wrestling program and they're having some kind of watch party. He'll be there all night. I guess I'm used to being alone like this."

I kind of felt bad for poor Seung Hyun. I remember when I first met his parents, they seemed like snobs but I did not think that their relationship was that much on the rocks, they seemed fairly tolerant about one another around Seung Hyun.

I do know for certain that he should not be alone while he's a ball of anxiety.

"You know I don't mind staying the night if you don't. I don't like the thought of you being alone."

He shakes his head.

"My dad doesn't want people here overnight without his approval. It's his house, his rules you know?"

"True... hang on a second."

I go into the other room pulling my phone out of my damp pants pocket. I dial my Mom's number.

"Kwon Ji Yong why did you run off like that? I don't care where you go but please just tell me where you are going so I don't worry up a storm."

"Sorry Mom I'm at Seung Hyun's place. He's really upset about personal issues. He's home alone and afraid, is it okay if he can stay with us for the night?"

I hear the baby babbling loudly in the background and Gabe is talking back to her in that higher pitch kid-like tone of voice. I thought his clapping every time he wants someone's attention was cringe worthy enough... That's worse. My mom is silent for a moment.

"Sure honey you can bring him over if he doesn't mind crashing on the couch."

"I think he'll be appreciative Mom. Thanks I'll be home soon."

I go back into the living room. Seung Hyun is sitting cross legged on the couch sadly reading a random book under side table lamp light.

"Hey my Mom says it's cool for you to stay at our place. You can just leave a text to your old man and tell him where ya going."

He texts his dad that he is spending the night at my house then packs: an outfit for the next day, toothbrush, pillow, blanket, and charger.

"Lets go."

I'm happy the rain stopped completely, he really didn't say anything during the walk to my house. We pass the lot where the old house was. There isn't much left except burnt rubble of what used to be our Christmas themed, sugar cookie and dirty diaper scented home. The odor of smoke is still strong lingering in the air.

"Oh wow everything is gone man. I'm so sorry that ended so bad."

"It's alright let's just keep moving."

Half a mile later we finally made it to the guest house. I open the door stepping inside allowing Seung Hyun in first he stops in the middle of the walk way. I close the door removing my shoes.

"Hey Mom I brought Seung Hyun-"

I freeze when I see what Seung Hyun was seeing: The coffee table is scattered with nail polish bottles and nail polish remover. Gabe is wearing green plaid cat pajamas, holding Mary Kate wearing a matching onesie on his right knee, while my Mom in a old fashioned night gown is painting his nails a wide assortment of colors. The TV is playing a Pop music station on iHeartRadio.

I cover Seung Hyun's eyes shielding him from the weirdness overload.

"Excuse me but my friend is here... I was gone for a half hour, why are we being so weird as hell?"

My mom looks over.

"Oh hi sweetie and Seung Hyun. I got some new nail polish and Gabe said he would let me test the colors and shades on his nails before I put it on mine."

Gabe held up his hand, his nails painted of two different shades of green, two shades of pink, and one solid color of a sparkle purple that is bright enough to stop traffic. He had a huge smile plastered on his face.

"I look fabulous."

Seung Hyun's lips tightened.

"It's bad enough that I can hear this going on but I'm happy I can't see it."

As if they both forgot that I am standing there covering Seung Hyun's eyes much similar to a parent shielding a child's eyes to a horror film. Mom asks Gabe what shade he prefers, they both agree to the hideous "Barney the Dinosaur" purple.

Gabe starts removing the polish from his nails. I uncover Seung Hyun's eyes picking Mary Kate up from his lap.

"I'm sorry you had to see that Sissy."

Mom laughs.

"She needs to adjust to the family weirdness."

Mary Kate only mimics my Mom's laughing and grabs at my face. I give her a kiss on the cheek then turn her over so she sees Seung Hyun. I wave her hand at him.

"Hi Seung Hyun absorb my extreme chubby cuteness."

He smiles big bending down to her level.

"Hi cutie pie."

I sit her in his arms where he sat down on the sofa with her giving her tummy tickles and coo at her. I go in the kitchen laying pizza rolls on a large plate shoving them in the microwave. Mom follows me to get an aspirin from the cabinet.

"I'm so happy you got a best friend honey and you're such a courteous and understanding person to him."

"Like you said Mom, being a bully isn't in my blood. He needs a friend."

Gabe leaves for the night. Seung Hyun gives Mary Kate back to my Mom who lays her in her pack n play for the night. I offer Seung Hyun my bed and I would take the sofa.

I have to admit it feels amazing being a bit nicer to people instead of a jerk. I really don't want to be a spitting image of my hateful father. 

It's 2:45am, the only person that's asleep at this time is my Mom. Seung Hyun and I have been wide awake talking like a couple teenage girls at a sleepover. We are talking about what's going on in his life and what's going on in mine. We didn't realize we had so much in common. Mary Kate had woken up twice so far, one time for a change and the other to be fed.

Seung Hyun has calmed down a majority but he's still too anxious to really sleep.

"I heard horror stories about divorce Ji. What if either parent won't care about me anymore or get mad when I pick the opposite side?"

I shake my head.

"For starters stay off the internet. Second, if for some rare reason that does happen, you can stay with me. You're a brother to me and like a second son to my mom. We'll take you in. I won't leave you alone."

He nods laying on the couch. I take it as a hint that he's beat and ready to sleep. I move to my bed laying down and covering.

"Good night Seung Hyun."

He sits up the second I shut the light off.

"Ji?"

I turn the light back on sitting up to make eye contact.

"Yeah?"

"Promise me you won't let me down?"

I nod. He smiles assuming he is feeling a lot better and talking it out with him took the anxiety away. I shut the light off again laying back down. I shut my eyes and let out a long sigh.

I spoke in a whisper just loud enough that I'm sure Seung Hyun can hear me:

"Cross my heart..."