Pizza Party

The Year To Remember

My heart sunk into my stomach. Just when I had told my Mom I'd clean up my act... She catches me trying to punch Connor's teeth down his throat.

I give him a rough toss onto the ground, pulling my fist back, and striking him in the mouth making sure it's hard enough to cause some bleeding.

"Next time you screw with me you'll be taking a dirt nap."

Mom grabs my arm pulling me away from Connor. She sits Mary Kate in her stroller not letting go of my arm.

"Ji Yong! I cannot believe you! You're acting like you are some kind of animal. I did not raise you to be a bully."

I yank my arm out of her grip.

"No Mom! He deserved all he got he is nothing but trouble!"

"Ji Yong you know better!!"

People were staring at us causing a commotion, there is cell phones cameras aimed at us, and everyone is pointing. How embarrassing...

Out of nowhere I hear a familiar voice call my mom's first name. Turning around I see a thick layered ball under a winter coat, that is Seung Hyun, he came waddling over to us.

"Ma'am please don't punish Ji. Connor did start the fight by kicking Ji in the side he almost hit the baby. He made sure the baby was safe before fighting back."

Mom's face softens looking at the baby then at me.

"I'm sorry honey, I know there I go again, jumping the gun and making accusations before hearing what you have to say. Please be safe and try not to fight again. I'm taking your sister home. Please be back before 3pm so you can eat lunch."

Mom gives me a hug before leaving with Mary Kate. I pat Seung Hyun's back.

"Thanks. You seem to show up at the right time."

He smiles pushing a pair of new glasses up onto his nose. I tilt my head.

"Hey when did you get those Chucky Finster?"

He lets out a awkward giggle before taking them off his face, folding them, and pushing them in his coat pocket.

"Eh, recently, my eye doctor says I have something wrong with my vision that'll only worsen as I get older, it's too bad at the point where I need to start wearing glasses. Connor already gave me pester remarks on them. I hate it I know I look dumb"

I pull them out of his pocket pushing his hands away when he tries to snatch them back.

"Nah you don't look half bad just more of a dork than before. At least they aren't frames and thick lenses from the 1800s or something."

I slip his glasses on over my eyes. I blink. The surrounding trees, clouds, and people look like blurry spots with off color.

"Seung Hyun... My dude... you're blind."

I give the glasses back to Seung Hyun. He discreetly pulls them back on his face. I pat his shoulder.

"Hey maybe you can see into the future with those things, that'll be quite world changing. Imagine the headlines: Dorky Kid gets very first futuristic specs, 5 months later finds cure for diabetes and all eye problems."

He looks at me as if i am insane.

"I get 30% of your fame profits though Dork because I called it."

We walk around the park a couple times going no where in particular then stop at a stand for Mint Hot Chocolate. We sit on a bench.

"So what brings you to the park today?" I say blowing the steam from the spout of the cup lid.

"I just needed to get out of the house staying cooped up wasn't the best time. My parents aren't getting along too well. How about you?"

I shrug.

"Besides having my house turn into ashes I can't complain."

Seung Hyun chokes on the gulp of hot chocolate in act of surprise he starts coughing. Spurts of hot chocolate exit out his nostrils and mouth. I really can't imagine the pain. I quickly wipe his nose with a napkin, his face turning beet red from embarrassment.

"Ouch... W-What?? Your house? Where are you staying now?"

I hold back a laugh from seeing what he did to himself. He wipes away tears.

"I'm fine, I can't tell anyone where we are but just know we're someplace safe and warm. I'm not allowed to really talk about it until the investigation is over."

"Well do you guys need anything? Clothes? Food? Baby supplies? My parents won't mind helping someone in need. Money is no issue. We can-'

I cut him off by placing a finger over his lips.

"Dork... Chill. Stop worrying. We're okay. If I needed help from you I'd ask. Calm your down before I pull your Fruit of the Looms over your head."

He nods quickly.

"Now what's up with your parents?"

He shrugs.

"It's not a big thing to be concerned about Ji. My mom has been dishonest to my dad, they've been fighting about it, and they expect me to take sides. It's not fair to either them no matter which side I go with. It's the first huge fight they had and they're threatening to divorce each other."

I frown. I somewhat know how this poor kid feels. The only difference is that my dad doesn't give a crap about me or my sister, they divorced for a different reason, and I wasn't forced to take sides. I knew I wanted to stay with Mom.

"How's that not a big thing to be concerned about? That's a real biggie. Yes, it's not fair to them bud, but it's not fair to you either. They shouldn't be making you pick sides like that. Have they thought about marriage counseling?"

He shakes his head.

"They tried but it doesn't help just makes matters worse. I don't even want to go home because I know they'd be screeching at each other."

"I know how you feel bud. I'm here for you no matter what decision they go with. It's easier said than done, but remember in the midst of their battles, they love you with all their hearts. None of the divorce decision is your fault. Your parents in separation and divorce, they will both made accommodations to be there for you."

Our thoughts and deep conversation were interrupted rudely from a low yet loud gurgle noise coming from Seung Hyun's stomach. It was so loud that I felt it.

"Did Willy the Whale just yell his last words in your stomach?"

He giggles.

"No I just didn't eat before I left, I ran out when my parents started firing insults."

He checks his phone for the time.

"My mom usually just arrives to work in Daejeon by now, we can go over to my house, we can make a pizza. Pizza Party."

I stand up and texted my Mom who responded quickly with the approval that I can go to Seung Hyun's house, with the exception I'd be back before dark.

"You had me at pizza. Let's roll."

A 20 minute walk on a windy dirt trail we made it to his house. He didn't see either his parent's car in the driveway or garage. We removed our shoes entering the house through the garage side entry.

In the kitchen we see broken glass, decapitated half wilted roses, two wedding rings, and a large wedding picture ripped in half. Ouch...

Something in Seung Hyun came out in the matter of moments. It's scary to say the least and it's really something I have never seen before, though my heart sunk to the pit of my stomach. I feel so bad for him.

"No..." He starts.

"No please don't split. Please just make up guys everything will be okay."

He boldly grabs the picture halves from the broken glass pile the shards of glass puncture his hands in the process. He rushes to get tape from the drawer.

"Everything will be okay... Everything will be okay... Everything will be okay..."

He keeps repeating that as he tries so hard to get the picture back together so the rip is barely noticeable.

"Seung Hyun..." I say.

Tears well up in this kid's eyes as he picks up the broken frame now searching for glue attempting to fix the pieces together.

"Seung Hyun..." I repeat.

I did not want to get in the middle of his break down but at the same time what if this kid hurts himself? By now he has a stream of tears going non stop his hands shaking non stop. He's getting mad because the frame was too bent and damaged to be fixed.

"STUPID THING HOLD TOGETHER!"

I grab his arms and pull him close to me.

"Calm down..."

He starts gasping in the midst of a panic attack. He lets out yelps similar to a injured dog trying to find their owner before he ran upstairs into a room slamming the door behind him. I didn't follow just to allow him to have space to calm down.

My phone buzzes indicating a text notification. It's from Mom:

"Hi honey. Just checking up on you. Everything okay?"

Typical Mother. I grin typing my response:

"Yeah all okay here, Seung Hyun is pretty upset and having a moment, helping him and we'll have pizza."

I shove my phone in my pocket and decide to clean up the broken glass and flower pieces. It's been a few minutes and he is oddly silent. I slowly go upstairs and softly knock on the door.

"Seung Hyun... you okay in there?"

No real response besides hearing him hiccup and whimper. I open the door seeing him curled into a ball on a bed.

"Hey..." I say sitting besides him.

"Dorks aren't supposed to cry, well, actually they are supposed to be in a science lab trying to figure out how they can make their specs can see into the future and promote world peace."

He gives me a sad Mona Lisa smile as he sits up wiping his eyes with his shaking hands.

"I'm sorry for going ballistic I really am."

I tilt my head.

"Sorry for what? I understand this is something you don't want to accept, unfortunately though, it does happen to most marriages. I'm hoping they will work it out. However if they don't work it out, if you stay strong for yours and their sake, that'll help the situation a lot. It's hard but it'll be alright when it all smooths over. You never know if they do divorce, if they get back out, they'll meet some pretty awesome people that'll be loving step parents."

He nods.

"True but I don't want a step parent I want my parents to stay together and be happy."

"I know buddy."

After a few minutes we go downstairs and go in the kitchen.

"I cleaned up the glass. Let's start making pizzas."

Seung Hyun and I rummage through the pantry and fridge looking around for pizza ingredients:

Three bags of dough, a Half a pack of pepperoni, mozzarella and cheddar cheese, canned pineapple, a bulk jar of Marinara sauce, and sliced ham.

That'll do.

We start by sprinkling flour on a large cutting board and began to roll the premade pizza dough out in two large circles. So far so good.

"Hey Dork I bet that I can make one amazing y looking pizza. It'll be ier than your pizza."

He laughs.

"Oh it's on Ji. My pizza is gonna look so amazing it'll be good enough to date."

"My pizza will be so amazing it'll make you want to marry it."

We hear a door close and a tall man carrying a jacket walks in the kitchen he's smirking at us.

"I'll just pretend I didn't hear you two boys talking about dating and marrying pizza."

Seung Hyun clenches his lips shut tight slightly embarrassed for talking about pizzas in such a manner.

"Sorry Dad. We're just having fun."

He laughs waving his hand.

"No worries boys just no doing weird things to the pizza and you're good to go. Have fun."

We talked about our favorite camp memories while the pizzas cook in the oven. When they were done we cut it into slices and Seung Hyun brought a couple pieces into the living room to his Dad.

We sat at the counter top eating the pizza. Not trying to be bias but my pizza won the y title hand down. We talked more for an hour until his dad came in.

"Hello guys. Ji Yong I want to talk to Seung Hyun for a while. I'm sorry but I need to ask you to leave buddy. You can come back again tomorrow."

I respectfully bowed then grab the paper plate that holds three slices of pizza for Mom and Gabe.

"Text me later Dork."

Seung Hyun nods giving fist bumps and I left.

On the walk home I keep thinking about his melt down earlier and I still feel bad for him. He is a very sensitive kid and he wants no trouble with anyone. He hates confrontation that's for certain. He really just wants everything to be okay.

If his fears are confirmed I'll be there for him, correction, I will be there no matter if they split or not. It's almost unreal how three months ago I could not stand the ground the kid walks on, now we are best friends.

I got home just as the sun is starting to set. I walk in the guest house, Mom is watching a movie snuggled on the couch with Gabe, and Mary Kate is rocking Einstein hair babbling to herself in her bouncer.

"I'm back and I bare pizza."

I gave Mom and Gabe a slice and sit on my bed opening Gabe's laptop to the Sims 4. A good amount of time passed and I had my house perfectly built and my Sims were ready to move in. My phone buzzes a text notification.

From: Dork

They decided to divorce. We need to talk soon. It may be the last time.

In a panic thinking that he's making a bad decision, lightning speed I throw my coat on and slipped my shoes on the wrong feet I ran out of the house in the direction of Seung Hyun's house ignoring Mom's question of where I was going. Heavy rain is pouring in buckets my winter coat getting drenched. I hear thunder boom in the dark sky. I ran faster.

"Hold on Seung Hyun." I pant.

"Your thunder buddy is coming."