Brother and Sister Bonding

The Year To Remember

"Okay kids come on let's focus. I know it's the last day before the big holiday break."

Our Math teacher, Mr. Kim, tries so hard to get all seventeen antsy students to focus on the lesson but we all can't help but get excited. At the end of November the school closes for a month and a half before, unfortunately, returning in the middle of January. We are all so excited for what ever we had planned for the break, we can hardly sit still in our desks. 

"Children... please?" Mr. Kim pleads.

He goes over the algebra question once more. We finally give in to our stressed teacher allowing him our undivided attention.

"Thank You."

He points to the math problem on the dry erase board. 

"Okay kids, what is 3 plus 6, 11 plus 1 minus 4 in parenthesis, divided by 8 times 2? Anyone?"

I raise my eyebrows. He has me completely stumped. Out of honesty, I was not paying attention at all. At the current moment I am sort of focused on day dreams of my plans for holiday shopping when everything goes on sale. 

I think everyone else is doing the same. Our teacher rolled his eyes.

"Good grief, do the Order of Operations: Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiply, Divide, Add, and Subtract."

I work quickly trying to figure it out. I write the equation on paper the raise my hand when, I am certain yet uncertain that I have the right answer, Mr. Kim calls me when he notices my hand is raised. 

"Ji Yong?"

"15?"

Mr. Kim's face lit up like the classroom's Christmas tree. 

"That's correct!"

He erases the board and opens his desk showing a stack of seventeen medium size stockings with our names written on it with glitter glue. They are filled with gift cards and candy. He passes them out accordingly. The bell rings signalling our freedom. 

"Have a safe and happy holiday break children!" Mr. Kim shouts as we all pile out the door.

 

I take a deep inhale of the cold crisp near-winter air when I got outside. It smells so nice. I pull my gloves and beanie on my head before starting my walk home. I happened to remember that Seung Hyun was not in school today for some reason. He told me multiple times that he loves school, yet that still makes him a dork, and it's not like him to not show up. There should not be any invalid reason to miss out on the last day before we get a month and a half up. 

I stop to a convenience store grabbing a two large hot chocolates and walking the rest of the way home. I open the front door. I see Mom cooking at the stove and Mary Kate is in her high chair, mashing her hands in a bowl of applesauce. 

"Hey Mom." I greet sitting the Styrofoam cups of hot chocolate on the counter top, I offer her one. She accepts the cup giving me a kiss on the head.

"Thank You honey."

I hug her with a smile. 

"You're Welcome."

I sip the hot chocolatey goodness from my cup and sit next to Mary Kate's high chair. She greets me with happy baby squeals and flapping her grubby apple sauce coated hands. It's hard to believe she is a whole four months. She is very smart for her age and learning things pretty quick. She can kick her feet, sit up pretty well, she babbles and coos, and is starting the process of learning how to creep. I have a feeling she'll be mobile pretty soon. She has this very strange attachment to me. She seems to be wanting me when she isn't wanting Mom. I guess that's a good thing.

I try four times to make some type of contact with Seung Hyun. Twice each by phone and text. Radio silence... 

"Mom, if I wrap Mary Kate like a baby soft shell double stuff taco, can I take her with me to check on Seung Hyun?"

I knew somehow putting the baby and tacos in the same sentence will certainly get her attention. She looks at the weather and current temperature on her phone. It's 41F  (5C), and it's supposed to be clear. After a moment of silence, assuming she's doing deep thinking if she should really allow her 17 year old wild son take her 4 month old daughter on a car ride, she takes a small sigh.

"Okay Ji Yong, but please layer her up and put her coat on her along with her hat, mittens, and booties, cover the carrier with the thermal blanket, bring the baby bag, stroller, and if it starts to snow come back home immediately. Do the speed limit, keep a heater on, and please by all means be careful with her."

I nod after listening to her mile long list of rules.As I was about to pick her up she touches my shoulder. 

"Wait honey, Gabe texted me he's taking me out for dinner and a movie. I'm leaving right now. Do you mind watching her until I come back?"

I shake her head.

"Not at all Mom it'll be our bro and sis bonding time."

She thanks me putting on her high heels. 

"Wait why is Gabe coming back again? You had a date Tuesday didn't you?"

She nods giving a slight eye roll as if she already had enough of Gabe. It's a feeling that I knew all too well. She french braids her hair.

"Yes, but he wants to treat me to a special dinner, I'll be meeting his family and then we're going to see the last Grudge movie."

I didn't know he likes horror movies. My mom is quite a fan of horror movies, the sky is the limit with her, no such thing as too much blood, violence, or gore. The more the better as she would say. 

She restricts me to watch the scary movies as to not trigger any night terrors or nightmares. I had recurrent night terrors when I was little. In fact, the only horror series I've watched without much of a fear is the Grudge and still have yet to seen the last one. I know for certain she will have it in her enormous DVD horror movie collection the second it's up for sale. 

I pick Mary Kate up out of her high chair. She responds with a cute giggle. Mom opens the door letting Gabe come in. It's the first I've seen him since I left Camp Oakwood. The times he's went on dates with her I was at school or at my Aunt's or hanging at Seung Hyun's house. 

"Hey I know you!" He greets me and gives me a side hug.

"Nice to see you too Gabe."

He happily ruffles my hair then gives Mary Kate a tickle on her belly making her squeal with joy. He hugs my Mom and gives her a kiss on the lips, they begin to start a make out session, probably forgetting for a moment that there were children present. I cover the Mary Kate's eyes.

"Excuse us but there is a baby here."

They immediately stop kissing and begin to leave. Mom gives me last minute instructions. 

"Ji Yong remember there's six bottles in the fridge. She just ate so don't give her a bottle until seven o'clock, microwave the bottle for 15-20 seconds in the microwave and burp her after. The car keys are on the table along with the number to his parent's house and cinema in case there's an emergency. Have her in her crib by 8:30. I love you both please stay safe."

Gabe waves to us as he leaves.

"Don't do anything I would do Ji."

The second the door shut I sigh and look at Mary Kate. 

"Someone is overprotective ain't she?"

I received a coo in response. I cradle her in my arms.

"Come on let's get you dressed and bundled up so we can go see Seung Hyun."

I lay her on the dressing table as I rummage through her billion of outfits and clothes in her oversize dresser. I pick out: pink elephant onesie, a pink giraffe selfie long sleeve shirt,black tights, grey sweat pants, pink camouflage socks, Ugg boot knock off booties, and her winter coat. After putting it on her I pick her up looking at her multiple layer get up.

"Well sis if this don't keep you warm I have no idea what will."

She whines at me.

"Hey Mom said to layer you up and there is no way that I am not getting my kicked for you child."

After I put her hat and mittens on her I strap her in her carrier covering it with a blanket. I put my coat on grabbing the carrier, baby bag, keys, phone, and wallet on the way out the door. I lock the house door and unlock the car door. I click the carrier in the base making sure it's secure. 

"Let's roll sissy." 

I start the car, crank the heat up low, and drive down the road.

 

After I knock multiple times on Seung Hyun's door I give up returning to the car.

"He must be busy. It's only 5:30 Where should we go to hang out Mary Kate?"

She gives me a coo. I smile.

"The mall? Great idea."

I drive the ten miles to the mall. I unload the stroller and securing her carrier. I cover the carrier until we get inside, then I uncover her. I smile big at her when she seems happy yet surprised to see her brother's face looking at her. We start looking around the sparkly heavily Christmas decorated and pine-cinnamon scented interior. I stop when I see the mall Santa sitting in the middle of the room with absolutely no line. 

I look at Mary Kate.

"You thinking what I am thinking?"

It must be she wasn't because the moment I let the Santa hold her, she went from a happy baby to a flat out nope in the matter of a six seconds. She started crying loudly when she looked at him. She did smile for a moment when she saw me taking her picture. The Santa asked her what she wanted for Christmas, boom, tears were released. I smile it's too adorable yet I feel bad for her.

I thank the staff and ordered a few copies of the moment she smiled a couple pictures of her crying her eyes out. While they were printing, I look Mary Kate in my arms trying to shush her.

"Mary Kate it's alright sissy. It's just Santa... he's going to bring you presents on Christmas. He won't hurt you... he's jolly... and fat... he loves cookies like you do..."

The photographer laughs at me trying to calm her down. After a minute I finally got her to stop crying. I pay for my photos and put the envelope in the basket under the stroller. 

"Just so you know I may or may not use those pictures for your senior yearbook. Everyone loves seeing a baby freaking out on Santa's lap."

I buy a pretzel and walk into the department store. We look around for a gift for Mom and Gabe. The horror movie section in the DVD aisle had just about every movie she owns, and I had no idea what Gabe likes. I am flat out of gift ideas. I look at the photo envelope and back at Mary Kate, who was dozing off, and then the thought light bulb clicked on. 

Off I went to the photo section and picked out a six photo gold frame and I print out five pictures of the family and one is a newborn picture of Mary Kate. I will put the photos in the frame and decorate it Christmas style and write our names on it. Genius. 

Still absolutely clueless about what to give Gabe I pick up a $30 Walmart Gift Card, a pair of Men's slippers, and a tool set. On the way to check out I pick up Mary Kate's present, a couple gift bags, tissue paper, and a few art supplies, along with a bottle of hair bleach, as I'm feeling the need to change up my hair color. 

$145.98 later, I get back to the car. I put the bags in the car, and put Mary Kate's carrier in the base. I made sure it was warm enough for her. 

"Sprinkles!" I hear a familiar voice boom from a few cars down in the parking lot.  

In the dark I see a tall older lady bundled up running toward me. In the light of the lamp posts I recognize her, it's Phyllis! She embraces me tightly. I return her affection.

"Hey gram! I'm so happy to see you!"

She nods.

"I am too! What brings you here?"

I point to sleeping Mary Kate in the car, she smiles and adores her through the window.

"You must be bonding with her! How cute! Are you coming to Camp Oakwood in a month for snow camp?"

I nod happily.

"Indeed I can't wait! If you need help washing dishes I'll be there."

She smiles again.

"I'll be happy to have my assistant back. My husband is in the hardware store I'll see you next month Sprinkles."

We wave as we part ways I notice it's starting to snow. Remembering what Mom said I get in the car and drive home.

 

I get Mary Kate inside along with the bags. When I have hid the presents in my room  I get the baby in her pajamas and feed her one of the bottles. I burp her and she starts dozing off again. I cover her with her baby blanket as I slowly rock her in the rocking chair. She falls asleep in my arms. I start dozing off myself. 

My eyes open when I hear my phone ringing. By looking at the time I dozed off to a light sleep for ten minutes. I lift my phone and nearly drop it in shock. The caller ID says: INCOMING CALL - DAD.

What on earth could he want?! I thought it was clear I don't want to talk to him. For some reason my phone's decline call feature didn't show up. I only had the option to answer. I hesitantly answer the call as to not wake Mary Kate.

"...Hello?"

"Hi Ji Yong... We need to talk."