Wheesun

Angel

Wheein took a deep breath; exhaled in and out. She was nervous and beads of perspiration were evident over her forehead. She clasped both hands together and leaned forward. She had to do this. It was now or never. She was such a tough police officer, but today’s event was reducing her into pieces. She was such a mess.

“Can you please calm down?”

“I can’t. I can’t. I can’t do this.”

“Jung Wheein, you need to do this. You cannot run away now.”

“I know. But I can’t. I feel like I’m suffocating to death.”

“Relax, you’ll be fine. If you can hold a gun and shoot people, this is nothing to you.”

“Criminals are easier to handle.”

“Shut up. You will marry Kim Yongsun today. So, don’t you dare run out of her!”

“I will never do that! I’m just nervous. What if I couldn’t even say her name out properly?!”

“Stop watching FRIENDS. You’re not Ross Gellar and you don’t have many women. Just one woman.”

“STILL!”

“You need a can of beer. Wait here, I will get u one.”

Dahae left the room, amused. Her partner, Inspector Jung Wheein was acting like a wimp. If only her Madam can witness how this wedding was changing Wheein into. Wheein was left alone in the room; her eyes darted everywhere.

She knew she shouldn’t feel this afraid, but she wasn’t afraid because she was getting married; she was afraid that she couldn’t do well as Yongsun’s wife. She was just having high expectations on herself. She wanted the best for Yongsun.

She closed her eyes and leaned against the sofa. She was wearing white blazer with white pants; and a nice baby pink blouse underneath the blazer with black high heels. Suddenly, she heard her name.

“Wheein ah, Jung Wheein!”

Wait, that voice is familiar. That husky, soft voice.

“YA! JUNG WHEEIN!”

Wheein opened her eyes immediately; she was almost shocked to death. Hwasa was sitting in front of her in white.

“Hwasa?!”

“Chingu ah!”

“Oh my god!”

Wheein quickly pulled Hwasa closer and hugged her tightly. She has dreamt of Hwasa a lot of times before but mostly were nightmares. She never really had a dream where Hwasa appeared in front of her with a smile and looking blissfully happy.

“I miss you, Hwasa ah!”

Tears filled her eyes immediately as Hwasa gently caressed her back. She then pulled away gently and wiped Wheein’s tears away.

“Wheein ah, I’m so happy today. You’re finally going to live your life with Yongsun unnie forever.”

Wheein smiled as she nodded.

“And I’m so glad you found her back before you lose her completely.”

“I couldn’t imagine my life without her. I couldn’t imagine what I’d be if she left me forever.”

“I feel sorry towards her. It wasn’t her fault, yet she took the blame and lived her life in misery. Every time, she will visit me and cry over an hour. I couldn’t do anything but looked on with so much sadness in my heart. I wished I could turn back hands time and I wished I was able to appear in front of you to tell you the truth. But I just couldn’t then.”

“That was the worst moment of my life. Yes, losing you was devastating for me, but I wasted 5 years; and the idea of not seeing her forever haunted me for all the time she was in coma.”

“I know. I was watching you. I was afraid you might you lose your mind once more like how you did when I died.”

“You were watching over us?”

“Yes, I have always did. Like how I watched over Moonbyul unnie and my daughter, Sarang. I know how much Unnie suffered because of me; so, I brought Dahae-shi into your life so that she could meet Moonbyul.”

“You really watched over us.”

“Sarang needs someone like Dahae-shi. Moonbyul unnie needs someone like Dahae-shi. I’m so glad that they are just like one family now.”

“Aren’t you upset that your wife and your daughter love another person?”

Hwasa smiled and shook her head.

“I can’t be there for them anymore. I wish I could, but you know I’ll never be able to return. This is the only thing I can do. Letting them meet someone better. Dahae-shi has exceeded my expectations of her. I don’t mind losing my place to her.”

“Don’t be an idiot. Nobody can take over your place. Nobody can replace you in Moonbyul unnie’s heart. She loves you dearly.”

Hwasa nodded.

“I’m aware of that. That’s why I want her to be with someone like Dahae-shi. I chose her. God allows me to choose.”

“He did?”

“Yes, and he sent me here to remind you that Yongsun unnie is your responsibility now. Stop acting like a wet chicken.”

Wheein pouted. Even her dead best friend was chiding her for being so nervous.

“Just go with the flow. And do you remember the song we used to sing together? We used to sing at KTV in front of Moonbyul unnie and Yongsun unnie?”

Wheein quickly recalled and remembered immediately.

“Yeah, Yongsun unnie used to cry when I sang that song to her.”

“And how long have you not sung to her?”

Wheein’s eyes grew larger.

“What do you mean?”

“If you cannot find words to say later, just sing the song.”

Wheein suddenly felt liberated. Hwasa was right. That would be the perfect song.

“Sing to her. And I can guarantee you, Yongsun unnie will never ever let your hand go.”

-

Wheein smiled widely after she woke up from that short sweet dream. Hwasa was helping her out; helping her to remember the song that used to touch Yongsun’s heart. She called out to Dahae.

“Unnie!”

“Why? You need another can?”

“No, do me a favour. Can you ask the DJ to search for this song?”

Wheein scribbled on a piece of paper and passed it to Dahae.

“Ask him to play after the solemnisation.”

“Woo, you’re going to sing for Madam.”

Wheein nodded.

“Okay, got it! I’ll let him know now.”

-

Yongsun was in her white gown. She looked all beautiful. The shine on her face was captivating and Moonbyul was tearing up. She tried hard to hold back her tears.

“Omma, why are you crying?”

Sarang noticed it first.

“Your Yimu is getting married. I’ve been waiting for this moment to happen for the longest time.”

Sarang chuckled softly and hugged her mother tightly. Yongsun was tearing up as well as she pushed her wheelchair closer to them. Then she stopped in front of them.

“Unnie, do you need a hand?”

Yongsun shook her head. Her sister, Yonghee was standing next to her; all smiles. Seems like the two sisters had some secret signals with each other. Even their mother had no idea what was going on.

“What’s wrong with the two of you?”

“Yongsun has a surprise for us today.”

“What is it, Yongsunnie?”

Yongsun’s hands clasped tightly on the sides of the wheelchair as she pushed herself up. She then put her two feet on the ground; her arms were shaking but Yongsun was determined to get up on her own. And as soon as her feet rested on the floor; and Yongsun was standing tall; everyone in the room was bursting into tears.

“YONGSUN AH!”

“UNNIE! YOU CAN STAND!”

Then Yonghee smiled before she added on.

“She proved the doctor wrong. Not only she can stand, she can even walk.”

And Yongsun miraculously moved her feet; as she slowly staggered towards Moonbyul. It was like a miracle. A huge miracle and Moonbyul cried like a baby.

-

“Yong, help me with something.”

Yongsun asked her older sister for help. They were in her room; Yonghee was helping Yongsun changing her clothes.

“What is it?”

“I want to try to go for therapy.”

Yonghee looked at her in disbelief.

“I thought the doctor said you can never walk anymore.”

“I shouldn’t just let him dictate my life. I want to try therapy. If it fails, then I will accept my fate.”

“But you will be suffering in so much pain.”

“I want to do something. For Wheein. For our future. I know she can look after me for the rest of her life, but I want to be useful.”

“Okay, how do you want me to help you?”

“Can you accompany me to all my therapy sessions? I want to keep it a secret and then surprise them on my wedding day.”

“Your wedding is in 5 months. How can you do this?”

“Trust me, Unnie. I can do this. I promise.”

-

“Yongsun!”

Yongsun fell a couple of times. But she wasn’t going to give up on her therapy. The therapist had mentioned that it would take a lot of work and dedication.

“Miss Kim, be patient. Let’s take things slow.”

“I can do this.”

“I know you can, but your body is not helping you. Let’s do some exercise to warm up those sleeping muscles.”

“Yeah, listen to the doctor. If you want to get well, you need to be patient.”

-

“Okay, Miss Kim. Let’s try. It has been 2 months since you took part in the hydrotherapy. Let’s see how strong your muscles are now.”

Yongsun took a deep breath; and with great strength; she pulled herself up from the wheelchair. It took her 10 minutes to straighten her legs; and another 10 minutes to put one foot down onto the floor. Every little move she made would take minutes while normal people would take just seconds.

But despite the pain that was shooting up her legs; Yongsun was determined to prove her doctor wrong.

“Wow, your muscles are actually building up now. And your nerves are strengthened. You might be able to stand in another 1 or 2 weeks!”

-

Yongsun took one step at a time. Yonghee gasped in disbelief; tears squirming in her eyes. Her baby sister was walking towards her; and she was walking without any aids.

“KIM YONGSUN!”

Yongsun smiled widely as she made her way; slowly but gradually towards her sister. The doctor was so wrong; Yonghee thought of killing the doctor though.

And when Yongsun reached to her side; she almost fell because it was tiring for her but Yonghee caught her instantly.

“Oh my god! You did it!! You’re one crazy woman but I’m so glad you are!”

“I can walk, Unnie! I can walk now!”

“Yes, you’re one brave but crazy ! And I’m so proud of you!”

“This is my gift for everyone; especially for Wheein. I want to surprise her at the wedding.”

Yonghee’s eyes sparkled as she fondly looked at her little sister.

“Wheein will bawl her eyes out.”

-

Wheein was curious. All the guests that came out from her bride’s room had red, swollen eyes. Even Sarang seemed like she had cried for hours.

“Sarang? Are you okay?”

Wheein called out to her. But Sarang burst into tears instead.

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Sarang ah, are you okay?”

Dahae was stunned as well.

“My feet hurt. I hate these shoes.”

Wheein and Dahae looked down at Sarang’s shoes. She was wearing flats but then again, Anh Sarang was more of a tomboyish just like her Moonbyul omma. Probably she wasn’t comfortable in girls’ shoes.

“The wedding ceremony will start soon. It will be over soon. I’ll get you a new pair of shoes later, okay?”

“Ooh, okay! Thanks, Dahae Mama!”

Sarang ran off; she couldn’t be in the same room with Wheein. She was too excited to tell Wheein the surprise, but she knew she better not. It was more fun to watch her Wheein Godma reduced to tears later.

“Dahae Mama?”

“Yes.”

“You have been upgraded.”

“Sarang’s the cutest. I’m so glad Hwasa-shi had her.”

Wheein smiled then she remembered her dream.

“Oh, Hwasa was in my dreams. She wanted me to let you know that you better look after her family well for her. If not, she will haunt you in your dreams.”

“Yeah, I’m sure she will.”

“I’m not kidding!”

“You sound like a child now. But I’ll take that advice seriously. Don’t worry, Moonbyul is my first love. And she will be my last.”

Wheein rolled her eyes.

“Stop it. You’ll make me cry!”

“You started it first!”

“Shut up!”

How nice. The two had to argue right at the altar. The priest pretended like he didn’t hear anything.

-

Wedding March could be heard in the background. Wheein was nervous but she stood tall at the altar; in front of everyone who was present. It’s a lesbian wedding so mostly were women. Oh, Kibum and his partner were there too. One of the many men who attended.

Wheein’s parents were standing next to her; they knew their daughter was special. But they never really thought that their daughter will marry a woman one day. Her father gave up and offered his blessings. Her mother was a little excited. She never attended a lesbian wedding before.

So, with her parents on her right and Dahae on her left; she waited for her bride to appear behind the doors.  Seconds later, Yongsun appeared in her wheelchair with her father pushing behind her. Again, his eyes were red and puffy. Even the old man cried. What the hell happened in that room?

Everybody stood up as Yongsun strolled down the red carpet; inching closer towards Wheein. Yongsun was equally nervous and excited to present her gift to Wheein. Wheein might cry like a baby.

Wheein stretched out her hand as Mr Kim gave Yongsun’s hand to her. He then smiled and whispered.

“Take care of my baby girl, Jung Wheein.”

Wheein nodded.

“I promise with my life, Aboji.”

So, there they were; standing in front of the priest. The ceremony was more light-hearted; the priest was just glad that two individuals love each other regardless of everything else.

“You may kiss your woman!”

Everyone laughed as soon as the priest shouted out loud. Wheein was red but managed to plant a soft kiss on Yongsun’s lips. They were officially married; and Wheein had more in mind. The DJ then appeared with a microphone. He passed it to Wheein.

Yongsun looked at her wife warily. But Wheein just gave her a soft smile before she moved towards the centre. She smiled widely at the crowd before she started her speech.

“I’m really happy today. I have never been happier than to know that I’m spending my lifetime with this wonderful woman who has nothing but love and affection for me. Her loyalty moved me; her soul saved me and everything about her made me realized that I could never be Jung Wheein if it was not for her.

However, I did nothing but hurt her. I hurt her for 5 years after the demise of my beloved best friend. I blamed it on her and never once had the thought of getting her back into my life. But she never gave up on me; she took every abuse I gave her, and I was stupid enough to walk away from her.

And God was probably got mad at me; because when she took the bullet; took the fall for me; he threatened to take her away from me. And I was frightened. I was scared; terrified and horrified. I prayed and begged him to let her stay with me. I’ll look after her; whether good or bad.

I made a promise that I’ll never leave her side. And even if she’s unable to move or walk on her own for the rest of her life, I’m there. I’ll be here to carry her; to hold her; to be her feet and give my all to her.

Baby, I’m going to love you. Love you unconditionally; provide for you and be your everything. So, please let me be the one you’ll ever need.

Let me gift you with something that will make you remember how we started.”

The sound of guitar filled the air. And Wheein started singing confidently.

I can't count the times
I almost said what's on my mind
But I didn't
Just the other day
I wrote down all the things I'd say
But I couldn't
I just couldn't
Baby I know that you've been wondering
Mmm, so here goes nothing

 

In case you didn't know
Baby I'm crazy 'bout you
And I would be lying if I said
That I could live this life without you
Even though I don't tell you all the time
You had my heart a long, long time ago
In case you didn't know

 

The way you look tonight
That second glass of wine
That did it, mmm
There was something 'bout that kiss
Girl it did me in
Got me thinking
I'm thinking
One of the things that I've been feeling
Mmm it's time you here 'em

 

In case you didn't know
Baby I'm crazy 'bout you
And I would be lying if I said
That I could live this life without you
Even though I don't tell you all the time
You had my heart a long, long time ago
In case you didn't know

 

You've got all of me
I belong to you
Yeah you're my everything

 

In case you didn't know
I'm crazy 'bout you
I would be lying if I said
That I could live this life without you
Even though I don't tell you all the time
You had my heart a long, long time ago
Yeah you had my heart a long, long time ago
Mmm, in case you didn't know
No, no in case you didn't know

 

-

Everybody cheered loudly. Wheein’s melodious voice and the way her eyes focused on Yongsun; everyone was touched with the rendition of that beautiful song. Yongsun was crying like a baby. That song brought back memories. Memories of how Wheein caught her eye; how Wheein courted her and how they fell in love. All kept rewinding at the back of her mind; her memories and those moments they shared.

How she got into Police Academy and Wheein got in few years later. Both were so dedicated to being in the police force and Wheein promised they would protect each other. All of them etched deeply down in Yongsun’s heart.

“In case you didn’t know, I’m reminding you once again. I’m absolutely crazy about you. You had my heart a long time ago and you still do even after that 5 horrible years. I have never stopped loving you; I made a mistake and was the stupidest person on Earth but baby, I promise you. In front of our loved ones; friends and family, that I’ll never stop caring for you; never stop loving you; never stop growing old with you; everything will be you first and forever.”

Wheein went on her knees and she was about to lift Yongsun up when the older woman gently pushed her away. Wheein frowned but continued to kneel in front of Yongsun as she watched the older woman smiling at her.

Yongsun reached out for her microphone and then looked at Yonghee. Her sister nodded. She came forward just in case.

“I guess, we are made for each other. You gave me the greatest gift. And I already knew your heart, sweetheart. And even those times when you said you didn’t love me anymore, there was so much pain in your eyes and I knew you were lying. That was the reason why I never gave up on you.”

Wheein’s eyes turned watery. Yongsun smiled then she held on to the handles of the wheelchair and lifted herself up. Wheein was stunned but launched forward; she was stopped by Yonghee.

“Give her some time.”

“Huh?”

“She has a surprise for you too.”

Wheein frowned but waited patiently. She watched as Yongsun struggled to get on her feet. Her heart ached with worry; what was her wife trying to do? But her eyes grew larger when Yongsun stood on her two feet. She stared at her wife in disbelief.

“It took me 2 months to stand on my feet. I went for therapy with Yonghee unnie. I struggled so badly but I was determined to at least stand on my wedding day. And I did this all because of you, baby. I wanted to be different; I wanted to prove myself that I could still walk; could still stand and just be able to hold you in my arms while standing on my feet.

And I was right. Because I told myself I would give up if I couldn’t do it. But I did, baby! And now I’m going to walk to where you are. Because baby, the reason why I’m able to stand and walk today because of your love.”

Yongsun started walking towards Wheein; the distance might be short, but it was good enough for Wheein. She started crying; brawling her eyes out. The moment Yongsun reached to her side, Wheein launched at her; hugging her by the waist and buried her face in Yongsun’s shoulder.

“Oh God!”

That was all she could say. Both women cried together. They went through a lot for the last 5 years but now, they would live together happily forever.

And with that same song Wheein had sung playing in the background, the newlyweds danced slowly to it.  Wheein held Yongsun strongly; Yongsun’s hands lovingly wrapped around Wheein’s neck; their eyes never left each other; tear streaks on each sides of their cheeks but they didn’t care anymore.

Because as long as they were here together; everything would be alright.

“I love you, Angel.”

“I love you too, Angel. My forever.”

-