MoonHae (Moonbyul & Dahae)

Angel

It was Hyejin’s death anniversary once again. Moonbyul was busy preparing since morning and Dahae was helping her. The pair has been dating for quite some time now. Moonbyul decided to introduce Dahae to her family and of course, to her in-laws as well.

Hyejin’s parents were a little hostile towards her during her dating years with Hyejin. But she eventually managed to win their trust and even though Hyejin has departed from this earth; Moonbyul did her best as their daughter-in-law; constantly gifting them with lavish presents. Moonbyul even gave half of Hyejin’s death pay-outs from her insurance policies and term policies from the Police Force.

6 years have gone by since Hyejin’s death. Although they neve really communicate much on her death, her in-laws often persuaded Moonbyul to return to the dating world and find someone. They felt sorry that Moonbyul had to remain single and because of Sarang, Moonbyul was hesitant to find a new love.

But not this time. Sergeant Lee Dahae is quite a charmer. Moonbyul met her once; when Wheein sent Dahae instead to run errands.

-

“Jung Wheein, I cooked your favourite. Can you pick up from me?”

“Oh okay, I’ll send someone to pick it up from you.”

“Alright.”

Moonbyul packed the food neatly and put them aside. Sarang was busy reading her story book on the sofa. Moonbyul smiled softly. Sarang is Hyejin’s biological daughter. She has her mother’s eyes; her exotic eyes and her soft gentle smile. Sarang is total replica of Anh Hyejin.

Sometimes it was difficult for Moonbyul to move on. She loved Hyejin too much. Losing Hyejin was a punishment for Moonbyul. She still had dreams of Hyejin every single night. Sometimes she wished Hyejin would come to her dreams and take her away from this harsh reality.

But then what’s going to happen to Sarang? Sarang was just a toddler when Hyejin was killed in the crossfire. She recalled running to the hospital once she heard the news. Sarang was in her arms; wailing at the top of her lungs. The child somehow knew that her mother was no longer around.

During the funeral, Sarang refused to leave her mother’s coffin. She kept lingering around the area and Moonbyul was heartbroken at the sight of Sarang’s insistence to stay close to Hyejin. Wheein held on to Sarang; sat the little girl on her lap and then cuddled her tightly.

Everybody was in great pain including Sarang. But nobody could decipher or experience the kind of pain; the kind of loss Moonbyul felt in her heart. It was too difficult to pretend that everything would be alright. Everything was such a blur for Moonbyul.

1 year, 2 years and so on, Moonbyul dragged herself out of her self-pity state and pulled out from depression because Sarang fell ill one day. And that was when Moonbyul knew she had to be strong; she had to be stronger for the sake of her daughter.

So from then on, everything she did was for her daughter’s sake. Sarang is her utmost priority and everything that she does resolves around the little girl. Thus, for the last 5 years, Moonbyul remained single; raised her daughter on her own but she was thankful that Sarang’s biological father was always nearby. At times, when she needed time alone, Kibum would take Sarang with him.

She was in her deep thoughts when a stranger appeared at her doorstep. The stranger pressed the doorbell and it woke Moonbyul out from her reverie. She didn’t even realize she was tearing up. She wiped her tears away and made her way to the front door.

A woman who was taller than she was; her big beautiful eyes and her pale complexion – Moonbyul was taken aback at her beauty at first. But then, she saw the police badge on the woman’s shirt. Wheein must have sent her here.

“Hi?”

The woman greeted her first. She bowed quickly and Moonbyul did the same.

“I’m Dahae. Inspector Wheein sent me here.”

“Ah, Jung Wheein’s partner?”

“Yes, I am. Are you Moonbyul?”

“Yup, come in. I’ll get you a glass of water.”

“Sure.”

The first meeting was awkward. The tall woman was just too charming and Moonbyul avoided looking into her eyes. She felt like she was into another dimension if she kept staring at Dahae’s eyes.

She passed the package to Dahae.

“I have packed some extra so that you can share with Wheein.”

“Oh, that’s really thoughtful of you.”

Out of sudden, someone caught Sergeant Dahae’s attention. She smiled immediately and pointed to a child sitting at the corner of the living room.

“Is she your daughter?”

“Yes, she is.”

“Actually, I know you are the late Sergeant Anh’s partner. Am I right?”

Moonbyul was surprised that Dahae knew.

“Everyone in the police force will know. They usually honour those officers killed in line of duty. Sergeant Anh has contributed a lot to the police force.”

“I see. I didn’t know that.”

“Your daughter looks like Sergeant Anh.”

“Yes, she is.”

“She’s so pretty.”

Dahae’s eyes never left Sarang. It was like though she could read what was on Sarang’s mind. Moonbyul looked on; wondering what Sergeant Dahae had in mind.

“My parents were police officers. I grew up in the family of police officers. I was around Sarang’s age when my parents were killed during a drug raid. My father tried to save my mother, but both died after they were brutally shot by the drug lords.”

Moonbyul was shocked. She didn’t know Sergeant Dahae had a bad memory of her childhood. She subconsciously leaned closer and gently touched Dahae on her shoulder. She squeezed it tightly.

“Ah, no worries. That happened like 27 years ago. I’m fine now. Is Sarang doing better?”

“Sarang was just a child when Hyejin passed on.”

“She was still young.”

“But even so, Sarang didn’t leave her mother’s coffin. She kept lingering around and till now, Sarang hardly talk.”

“Oh?”

“I’m not too sure if she felt lonely; or she was affected by something. But Sarang doesn’t talk to strangers.”

Dahae felt sorry for the child. She bit her lower lip then asked for Moonbyul’s permission.

“Can I approach her?”

“You can try.”

Dahae nodded and then put the package on the table. She straightened her shirt and then dust off her pants with her hands. She slowly approached the child; Sarang was still unaware of the strange woman coming up from behind her.

But of course, the child knew better. She looked over her shoulder; her eyes locked with Dahae’s. She was on a defensive mode and Moonbyul wasn’t certain what her daughter would do.

“Hey, Sarang.”

Dahae was soft and gentle. She called out to Sarang with so much affection. Sarang was still on her alert mode; her brooding eyes were staring Dahae down. That didn’t scare Dahae.

“Can I sit here?”

Dahae pointed to the empty chair next to Sarang. The little girl stared at the chair for two seconds and then turned to Dahae. Miraculously, she nodded. Moonbyul was surprised but didn’t say anything. She just remained in the kitchen as she watched the interaction between her daughter and Dahae.

“My name is Lee Dahae. And your mom told me your name is Sarang. Anh Sarang?”

“Yes, that’s my name.”

Moonbyul’s eyes went teary. Sarang was communicating with a stranger! She quickly grabbed her phone and took a video of the rare interaction.

“How old are you?”

Sarang put out 5 fingers.

“Oh, you’re 5 years old. I’m so much older than you.”

“How old are you?”

“Let’s say I’m in my 30s.”

“You’re an Ahjumma.”

Dahae pouted her lips; she couldn’t believe she was shot down by a 4-year-old, but she was more focused interacting with the young child.

“Are you going to call me Ahjumma, then?”

“But you look too pretty to be an Ahjumma.”

“You’re so smart! How about you call me Yimu? Is that okay?”

“Okay, Dahae Yimu.”

Moonbyul cried her heart out.

-

“JUNG WHEEIN!”

“WOAH! WHAT’S HAPPENING?!”

“WHO IS THIS LEE DAHAE?!”

“She’s my partner. Why? Did she do something wrong?”

“I’m sending you a video now.”

Moonbyul quickly called Wheein when Dahae left. She spent 20 minutes interacting with Sarang and for some reason, Sarang made her promise that Dahae could come visit her often. Something that Sarang would never request for – not even with her grandparents.

She sent the video to Wheein and then seconds later, Wheein screamed into the phone.

“SARANG’S TALKING TO A STRANGER?!”

“Yes! Dahae naturally approached her and she was communicating with Sarang so effortlessly!”

“Wow, she’s really something. I thought she’s just beautiful.”

“You like her?”

“What? No! I was just saying! Anyway, don’t you find her pretty?”

Moonbyul didn’t reply. Well, she was practically staring at the woman from the moment she set eyes on her and until she left with Wheein’s food.

“She is.”

-

“DAHAE YIMU!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“HEY! HOW ABOUT ME?!”

Sarang ran straight to Dahae instead of Wheein.  Sarang had been bugging Moonbyul to take her to police station. She wanted to meet Dahae again.

“She’s not here to see you. She’s here to see your partner.”

“Dahae unnie must be really charming to knock Sarang off her feet.”

“Sarang’s only 5 years old!”

“Unnie, you know what I meant!”

Dahae picked Sarang up and that was the first time Moonbyul heard Sarang laughing heartily. Who was this woman? What had she done to her child? How could she change Sarang so easily while Moonbyul took years?

“Looks like Sarang really enjoys Dahae’s companionship.”

“Do you think I should let them see each other?”

“Unnie, why do you sound like you’re marrying off your daughter to some woman?”

“Shut up.”

Suddenly Dahae appeared in front of Moonbyul and Wheein. She greeted Moonbyul and then smiled widely.

“It’s nice to see you here. It’s refreshing right?”

“Huh?”

“Getting out of the house; meeting people. Look at Sarang. She’s talking to strangers now.”

Moonbyul couldn’t believe her eyes. Sarang was chatting with the other police officers at the station.

“Maybe you should go out and meet people. You and Sarang are trapped in the house for far too long. Sarang needs to meet people to recover from the pain of missing her mother. And you, you need to look ahead and give yourself a chance to feel love once again. Do a favour for yourself, okay?”

Moonbyul’s heart skipped a beat.

-

Sarang’s changes gave a lot of joy to her grandparents. The little girl greeted them politely and smiling widely when they came to visit. The grandparents were shell-shocked.

“What happened to Sarang?”

Moonbyul smiled.

“Let’s say, someone changed her.”

“Oh? Are you dating someone?”

“No, I’m not. It’s just that she found a friend in someone. She adores that person a lot.”

“Then she must be a keeper. You should date this person.”

Moonbyul had never thought of that until her father mentioned it to her.

-

One morning, Kibum picked up Sarang and volunteered to send her to school. Sarang adores her father; she prefers Kibum when it comes to dressing up. Moonbyul was a little tomboyish. Kibum was more of an expert.

“Sarang, why are your clothes only in grey, black and white?!”

“Omma bought them for me.”

“Woman! What’s wrong with you?”

“What?!”

“She’s a girl. She needs more colours. I’ll bring our daughter for shopping after school. Can I keep her for a day?”

“She’s not a pet. You can take her home any time you want. You don’t have to ask for my permission.”

“Assa~”

Kibum gave high-fives with his daughter much to Moonbyul’s annoyance. She was finally alone when the father and daughter left the house. Since Sarang would be staying at Kibum’s place for the weekend, Moonbyul found herself with nothing to do.

She called Wheein; as usual, that Inspector was forever busy.

“Why are you always busy?”

“I’m a police officer. Criminals don’t give us holidays.”

“Fine.”

“I tell you what, I’ll finish whatever I can, and I’ll drop by later.”

“Okay. Give me a call or something.”

Moonbyul couldn’t believe how restless she was without Sarang. She suddenly thought of Sergeant Dahae’s words to her.

“Go out, meet new people or learn new hobby. You need to get out from the house now.”

Moonbyul decided to heed Sergeant Dahae’s words and headed out. She had nowhere in mind to go so she just drove along. Somehow, she found herself at the cemetary. Hyejin’s final resting place.

“I’m supposed to meet new people, but I guess I miss you too much.”

She whispered as she stood in front of Hyejin’s grave. There were photos of them together; from the day they started dating; got married and eventually, got a new house together. Moonbyul was looking forward to living her life forever with Hyejin. But God had other better choices for Hyejin.

“Hyejin ah, how are you doing? I really miss you so much. I just don’t know what I should do with my life now. I was scared then and I’m still terrified now. Should I meet new people, love? Is it time for me to go out there and try to find someone to love other than you?”

Tears clouded her eyesight.

“I wish you were here with me, baby. I really miss holding you tight; miss having your warmth by my side and missing everything about you.”

She wiped her tears away and gently caressed Hyejin’s photo with her thumb.

“Help me, Hyejin ah. Should I go out and meet new people? Will you allow me to? Let me know, baby. I don’t think I can ever do it without your permission. I know this sounds stupid, but my love is only you all this while. Should I learn to trust my heart again? Give me a sign, love.”

Then suddenly, out of nowhere, out of the blue; in such haunting place; Lee Dahae appeared in front of Moonbyul.

“Moonbyul-shi?”

Moonbyul was stunned beyond words. Was this Hyejin’s sign to her?

“What are you doing here?”

She asked.

“Oh, today is my parents’ death anniversary. I came to visit them. Fancy meeting you here.”

Moonbyul wasn’t too sure if it was just coincidence or was it Hyejin’s answer to her?

-

Moonbyul had a date.

She’s having a date with Dahae.

Sarang was the one who hooked up with her Dahae Yimu.

The girl gave her mother the ultimatum.

“Just go out and have dinner with Dahae Yimu.”

“Did Wheein Yimu ask you to do this?”

“No.”

“Then why are you asking me to eat dinner with Dahae Yimu?”

Sarang innocently smiled and then spoke words Moonbyul could never understand.

“Hyejin Mommy came to my dreams last night and said Omma need to go out to eat with Dahae Yimu.”

-

“This is really nice.”

Dinner was great. And Moonbyul couldn’t take her eyes off Dahae. She wasn’t in her usual dress code. She was in a light blue dress and she tied up her hair. There was a little make up but that was good enough.

Lee Dahae’s extremely beautiful.

“I hope you like it. Sarang chose this place.”

“Ah, that explains why this place doesn’t sell alcohol.”

Of course, Sarang asked them to go to Mac Donald’s for their dinner date. Hey, what did you expect from a 5-year-old?

“I’m sorry.”

“No worries. We can just head out to a bar after this. So, did she order this Happy Meal as well?”

“She wanted to the toys.”

Dahae laughed lightly. She nodded and then smiled gently.

“Sarang’s such a cutie. You’re so lucky to have her as your daughter.”

That melted Moonbyul’s heart instantly.

-

They ended up in a bar near downtown. Dahae chose the place. She hung out that often.

“I love the ambience. Sometimes when work gets too tough, I’ll hang out here.”

“Oh, that’s nice.”

“Do you drink?”

“Not much.”

“Any preference?”

“Anything you want to.”

“I’ll get you something light. I want to spend the night chatting with you.”

Dahae left their table to order and Moonbyul was shooting bullets. Dahae wanted to spend the whole night chatting with her. What the hell. Moon Byulyi, u used to date women all around!

What is happening to you?!

Moonbyul was fighting within her inner self.  She was losing her mind when she saw Dahae approaching her. That smile; that curve; that big eyes; everything about Dahae was calling out to her.

“I hope I won’t die tonight.”

-

Moonbyul found a lot of things about Dahae.

She’s the only child.

She’s raised by her grandfather when her parents died.

She’s living alone after her grandfather died 3 years ago.

She’s filthy rich; her grandfather left a sports car and a huge some of money after his demise, but she chose to live humbly and frugality. She donated some money to charity and works with the police force all her life.

Yongsun was the one who hired her as Wheein’s partner. She wanted someone to look after Wheein and Yongsun thought Dahae was the perfect person to do it. So far, Wheein was changing for the better. No more emotional; no more depression.

And one thing that was truly important to Moonbyul.

Lee Dahae has no interest in guys.

She loves girls.

“I could fall in love with you.”

Dahae was drunk when she said that. But that put Moonbyul on cloud nine ever since.

-

They went out for dates often after that. It was just dinner or movie or sometimes to drink at their favourite bar. And Moonbyul was slowly falling for Dahae’s charms. But she was afraid to say her mind; to confess her feelings.

Dahae is her perfect someone. The way she loves Sarang; the way Sarang loves her; the way she talks to Moonbyul’s parents and how Dahae seeped through her heart.

Moonbyul was totally caught in Dahae’s web. And there was no way she could get out of it. But of course, things would come around somehow.

One night, Dahae was walking next to Moonbyul with Sarang on Dahae’s arms. The girl fell asleep. She had taken Sarang to the nearby funfair and Moonbyul tagged along. Sarang refused to let her mother carry her so Dahae ended up doing it.

“She’s fast asleep now. I can carry her now.”

“Nah, she’s not that heavy. I’ll carry her till we get home.”

The pair walked side by side; there were shy and awkward smiles but there was only thing on Moonbyul’s mind.

She really wanted this woman so badly.

So, once they reached home, Dahae tucked Sarang in before she headed out where Moonbyul was. Moonbyul was standing in the dark; in silence and Dahae was a little concerned.

“What are you doing standing in the dark?”

“I’m just afraid.”

“Afraid? Of the dark? Wait, since it’s darkness here; you’re afraid of the light?”

Dahae came closer and then stood in front of Moonbyul. She was taller so she towered over Moonbyul; with a genuine smile on her face; her sincere gaze piercing through Moonbyul’s heart. They were standing close together. Too close for comfort and Moonbyul could feel her heart beating like crazy.

“This. This closeness means something, isn’t it?”

Moonbyul whispered. Dahae smiled and then nodded.

“What does it mean to you?”

“It means I want to be your superwoman. I want to protect you from whatever you’re afraid of.”

Dahae was confessing! Moonbyul was losing her . She needed to say her mind; her biggest fear and she needed to say it now. Or she would lose this chance forever.

“I’m afraid of losing you.”

“I know. I’m aware of that. That’s why I’m here standing in front of you. Will you still be afraid to embrace me?”

No words; just actions. Moonbyul put her arms around Dahae’s waist while Dahae wrapped her hands around Moonbyul’s neck. And in that darkness; two women shared the sincerest confession and trust over time.

“Be mine, Lee Dahae.”

“Already yours.”

-

The ceremony went well, and the meeting was a success. Hyejin’s parents were delighted to learn Moonbyul moved on with someone new; with someone who has a good heart. Sarang helped the most.

“Oh? Sarang likes her?”

“Yes! She loves Sarang like how Hyejin Mommy loves me!”

Moonbyul teared up at that. It wasn’t easy to move on, but she believed Hyejin had planned all this. Hyejin left but she brought someone else to save Moonbyul from misery.

Dahae did well; introduced herself and charmed her way around Hyejin’s parents. Well, Moonbyul’s parents adored her so much.

“Can I call you Omoni and Aboji?”

“Wow, that’ll be great.”

“It’s a great pleasure if you allow us to call you that!”

“Then just treat me as your daughter. I promise you; I’ll take good care of Sarang and Moonbyul.”

“Just live happily with them. That’s all we’re asking for.”

Moonbyul cried like a baby after that.

-