"Au Revoir"

String of Life

Jang Wonyoung reached out her hand with the necklace, handing it to Chaewon.

 

Sakura and Hyewon looked at each other, wearing a dreadful expression. “Quick! Call your girlfriend to inform the CEO about this!” Hyewon panicked and with her hands shaking, Sakura immediately took out her phone and dialed Eunbi.

 

After a fine two minutes of ending the call. The CEO barged in the hotel with an enraged expression while Eunbi behind her was wearing a grim expression. Sakura immediately went to her and patted her back. Just imagining what the CEO did was enough to give her shivers.

 

“What will happen now?” asked Hyewon. They were lined up, looking at the elevator where Minjoo vanished to.

 

"I guess Wonyoung will take a short cut to the afterlife without having the trial."

 

"But Sajangnim said that Wonyoung wasn't going to."

 

Eunbi grunted, "Of course, she didn't have a chance to live in the first place. Let's go." She ushered the two to get going.

 

When they reached the main lobby, they saw Minjoo and Chaewon standing and looking at each other's eyes. Minjoo, still furious while Chaewon wore a troubled expression. Sakura cleared to get their attention but Minjoo glared at her and left again. 

 

"Remember that saying? If looks could kill-" Hyewon started but got elbowed again by Eunbi.

 

"We're already dead so shut up." She turned her attention to Chaewon. "Manager Kim, you should probably head to the other room now. The wedding's supposed to start in 20 minutes." Chaewon nodded and obeyed her. "But I wonder what Minjoo will do about this. From her reaction earlier, it's clear to me that Manager Kim is not just a Manager to her like any other."

 

"Maybe Manager Kim will be the one to set free of her heart that's full of hatred," Sakura added. 

 

-

Chaewon walked back and forth in the room. "What do I do with this?" She muttered to herself and sat on the sofa, staring into space. Suddenly, she stood again and went around a few times while pulling her hair in frustration. 

 

"You should calm down first Manager Kim." One of the staff at the hotel entered. "I'm not sure if I should still do this, but this was the CEO's order earlier so you should probably dress up for the wedding." 

 

Chaewon changed her clothes to what the staff gave to her. She didn't bother to check herself with the dress properly and went straight to sit so the staff can put makeup on her.

 

She grabbed the wrist of the staff after she finished. "Tell me the truth, what's a Soul Wedding?"

 

The staff gulped and looked anywhere but Chaewon. She pulled her wrist free, "S-sorry Manager K-kim, I n-need to g-go now." 

 

"She's acting strange, I'm sure it's not that simple." 

 

A few minutes later Minjoo entered the room which Chaewon was in.

 

"Sajangnim, this is why I told you to help her earlier when she said she didn't want to be married to a stranger."

 

"Do you think so? The wedding will be held because of the strong desire of that soul to live. That necklace, do you believe she's able to arrange a Soul Wedding on her own? You know the regulations. Don't be a fool." Chaewon was unable to speak as she thought hard about what Minjoo said.

 

Minjoo gritted her teeth before saying, "I'll save you again."

 

"How? I heard this necklace can't be removed."

 

"Don't worry, if she's desperate to have a wedding then we'll get her the right one to marry. We're going to bring the one that's fit for this marriage. Now let's see how this will end." Minjoo smirked.

 

 

Meanwhile, Wonyoung was sitting alone on the sofa in the other room when someone suddenly spoke.

 

"I heard there was going to be a Wedding here, so I came to give a gift for you."

 

"Who are you?" 

 

"I guess you can call me a deity?" said the newly arrived girl who was dressed elegantly.

 

"Deity of fluffy cheeks then?"

 

"I'll take that as a compliment." The deity said sweetly and extended her hand with the gift. "Here, take this. You get married to become happy. So use that right."

 

Wonyoung took the gift and peeked inside. She was going to ask the deity but when she looked up, she was no longer there. She stood up and made her way to the wedding hall where she met the CEO.

 

"How dare you pick her out of all people. You know well what will happen," Minjoo confronted her but Wonyoung remained quiet. "You're such a selfish person, you're dead anyway! Why would you bother to do all those things just to live again!" Without meaning to, she started spouting harsh words at the poor soul who was now shedding tears. "You could go to the afterlife without any problem! If you're lucky you could even reincarnate!" She inhaled deeply and starts to wipe her tears which she only noticed. 

 

After a few seconds with only sobs being heard, Minjoo composed herself and glared at the other girl. "If you want to live that bad, I'll bring the right person for this wedding. Isn't that great? You can finally marry the person you could never get over." With that, she started to walk away and Wonyoung cried even harder without leaving her spot. Before she opens the door she spoke again, "Oh wait, this wedding isn't a normal one. Sorry about that."

 

Minjoo dashed her ways through the corridors, hoping to come across the receptionist. "You, did you see Kang Hyewon?" she asked a staff she stumbled into.

 

She made her way to where Kang Hyewon was as she was told, "Yah, fetch this human and bring her here in 5 minutes. I'll message you and let this girl see it." She handed a picture to the confused girl.

 

"But she's human? and 5 minutes is impossible sajangnim!" Hyewon complained.

 

"Don't ask questions! and please stop forgetting that you aren't human anymore! 5 minutes is more than enough!" Minjoo exclaimed and left.

 

Hyewon had no other choice but to follow the CEO. "She's such a walkout queen. I swear if I get the chance I'll leave before her," she grumbled as she made her way outside. She stopped halfway outside the hotel when she realized something. "Did she just indirectly authorized the use of abilities?" She grinned widely and proceeded.

 

 

"A hospital? Is this person sick?" Hyewon asked herself before she starts searching. It took her only a few seconds to spot the girl in the picture. She was standing in front of a room, looking inside through a door. Hyewon stood still and observe first. The girl tried to slide the door open but hesitated and walked away. She followed her and tried to peek at the door too but realized she doesn't have much time to.

 

She managed to get in front of the girl to stop her, "Excuse me, this may be weird but I have something to show you." She raised her phone so that the girl can see it. 

 

"How come you have this? Where is it?" 

 

"The only answer I can give you is that the owner of this is at our hotel. So please come with me." Hyewon smiled a little when she saw that the girl was puzzled but nevertheless followed her. 

 

-

Next thing they knew, they were at the hotel. Hyewon bewitched the girl so that she can see everything inside the hotel. "Where is she?"

 

"She's at the Wedding Hall, this way." Minjoo and Chaewon suddenly appeared then the latter leads the way while the others behind her followed and the new girl muttered something that fascinated Minjoo.

 

"So that priest wasn't kidding with what he said."

 

"We're here. You can meet her on the aisle." Chaewon said as she offered the necklace to the girl which then entered.

 

"Sajangnim, I heard you shouting at her earlier. That's rude you know." Eunbi stated, Minjoo ignored her and left.

 

"She's like that to everybody, why are you surprised?" Sakura said while she swiftly intertwined both their hands and left.

 

"They all left before me again." Hyewon sighed and went her way.

 

Chaewon was the only one waiting outside the hall in deep thought. What the CEO told her earlier was distracting her.

 

The wedding will be held because of the strong desire of that soul to live. 

 

 

Inside the hall, the girl stared longingly at Wonyoung who didn't notice her presence yet. "Wonyoung-ah," she called to get her attention. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Y-yujin unnie?"

 

Upon hearing the younger respond, Yujin started to walk towards her, slowly. None of them took their sight away from each other. Tears started rolling down Wonyoung's cheek. Time started to slow down for both of them.  As the gap between them becomes tinier, the red cord tied to both their pinky finger gets smaller. 

 

"Wonyoung-ah," Yujin called again, "Stop crying, I'm sorry if I was late but I'm already here. Don't worry I won't run away again." she said in regret. Wonyoung remained quiet still in tears.

 

-

"When the wedding is over, the human will die, while the soul will return to her body and live her life in regret," Minjoo said. She was sitting inside the bar with Eunbi, Sakura and Hyewon standing behind her. "I wonder if Chaewon noticed." 

 

As if on cue, Chaewon realized something and started hammering at the locked door. She shouted with all her might, "Wonyoung-ssi! Stop now! You shouldn't do this. She's still alive! You can't take her life away no matter how much you desire to live!"

 

"How tragic," Hyewon whispered.

 

"Indeed." Sakura agreed.

 

"You know what's interesting?" Minjoo asked her staff. "I heard the human earlier. It seemed like she's the one who initiated the process of the Soul Wedding."

 

-

Yujin faced Wonyoung, she smiled genuinely at her and wiped the tears on the younger's face. "You have a better future than me, you need to live on." She reached for the younger's hands, holding it tight, she continued to confess, "I was such a jerk for taking advantage of your presence. I'm sorry for ignoring you when all you did was stay by my side."

 

"Live on, Wonyoung-ah." Yujin tucked the younger's hair behind her ears. Slowly, she closes the gap between their faces.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inches away from each other's lips, Wonyoung backed away. Shaking her head, she said, "No. This isn't what I wanted."

 

"B-but-"

 

"Unnie, both of us have been selfish. Thank you for giving me a chance but taking other's lives is just wrong."

 

"That's why you should take mine."

 

"That's worse, Unnie I know you're only doing this because you feel responsible for my accident. But no, it was my fault for driving carelessly."

 

"N-no, It's just-" Yujin couldn't continue what she was saying when the younger shakes her head, "W-Wonyoung-ah"

 

"You have people waiting for you unnie." Wonyoung took out the content of the gift that was given to her by the deity without Yujin noticing. "Remember this, the fault is not yours."

 

A sharp and loud snip echoed throughout the hall and the next second, Wonyoung was alone. 

 

 

 

"At least my love for you will be forever."

 

 

 

 

The red cord was severed. As it crumbles away, the chance for resuming life, hope for a better future and the love story of two beautiful souls that wasn't even able to begin were all taken away. 

 

 

 

 

For the last time, Wonyoung started to sob. The door opened and finally, Chaewon was able to enter but she only observed the crying girl. Later on, Minjoo with the other 3 showed up.

 

 

 

They all watched in pity as the girl vanishes into thin air, weeping.

 

 

 

 

"Many lives have gone by and even after all that effort, their story still had the same ending." All heads turned to the owner of the voice. All their gaze followed her as she made her way to where Wonyoung disappeared. She bends her knees and picked up something. She stood straight and wave her hand with the scissors. "I came to get this but I shall say, what's not meant can never happen." She took one last glance at Minjoo as if sending her a message and was gone.