"Arrangements"

String of Life

Room #35

Jang Wonyoung

 

Once inside, she spotted a person lying on the bed unconscious with a few medical apparatuses connected to its body. Near the window, she saw the spirit she’s been looking for, back facing her.

 

She went near the bed and placed the fruits she bought on the table. She observed the girl’s face. “You look so angelic compared to how you’ve been acting since we met.” She said but got no response from the spirit. “You know why I’m here right?” still no response. "Look, you said you didn't want to marry a stranger and Yuri is my friend so I don't want it either. You can just get your necklace and give it to someone you know." Chaewon desperately begged. 

 

Wonyoung finally looked at her with a blank expression and said, "If it was that easy you wouldn't have met me. I can't touch anything in the living realm. You work for that hotel but you don't know that."

 

"Ohh, sorry. I only associate with spirits inside the hotel. But then you can surely get the necklace if you're inside the hotel right?"

 

"Maybe, but you're going to need to bring your friend too and be in big trouble with your boss."

 

"Yeah but the CEO can't fire me, she needs me. I will be expecting to see you later at the hotel. I'll prepare some spirits if you still want to get married." Chaewon stood up, looked at the body of Wonyoung and caressed her hair before going out.

 

The spirit stayed still, dumbfounded by the girl’s action.

 

-----

“Jo Yuri, where are you?” Chaewon asked her friend through the phone while driving.

 

“I’m at the studio, recording some songs. Why?”

 

“Do you have that necklace with you?”
 

“Yeah, but why?”

 

“I’m on my way there. Wait outside the company, I’m going to get you. I’ll explain once we’re together.” She hangs up and speeds her car up.

 

-
 

“So can you explain to me why you’re in a hurry now?” Yuri asked, crossed arms while intensely eyeing Chaewon who was driving back to the hotel. “We’re lucky the staff allowed me to leave in the middle of recording.”

 

“Tch, of course, they will. They would be in big trouble with your CEO if they didn’t.” She giggled when she saw Yuri blushed.

 

“It’s not like that! And where are we going? Where’s my explanation? You keep trying to ignore my questions.”

 

“You have the necklace with you?” Yuri looked through her purse, took out the necklace and showed it to Chaewon. “Good, we’re going to the hotel where I work. The owner is there and wants it returned.”

 

“Will you look at that! I can return this necklace and I can even go to your hotel. Speed up!”

 

“Roger” Chaewon obeyed what her excited friend said.

 

-----
 

Back at the hotel, the CEO, Kim Minjoo was having one of the best times of her life, thinking about how much money she can get off the wedding. She headed for the lobby, looking for her manager but saw a bunch of spirits dressed formally.

 

In a confused state, she approached Hyewon who was the one handling the spirits. “Is there an event I do not know of?”

 

The receptionist bowed first before saying, “Manager Kim called earlier to prepare some spirits who have given the chance and chose to live on.”

 

“She has no single clue about what a Soul Wedding is. I don’t care what you do. I’m going to go shopping. Call Ms. Kwon instead to drive for me, we’ll be back before the wedding tonight.” Hyewon bowed again before heading to the bar with the spirits following her. 

 

A few minutes after the CEO left, Chaewon and Yuri arrived. They headed directly to the bar, while Yuri observed every corner of the hotel in amazement.

 

Everything was already prepared, the spirits were ready. Wonyoung was already there accompanied by Hyewon and Sakura. The human eye isn’t capable of seeing spirits as they please. Chaewon was given special abilities by Minjoo and because of the necklace, Yuri can only see Wonyoung.

 

“Is she the owner?” Yuri whispered to her friend who then nodded. “But where’s everybody though? Is there some kind of event now in your hotel? She’s the only person we’ve encountered so far. I didn’t even see a receptionist.”

 

“Yeah, let’s just say there’s something like that.”

 

“Huh? What do you mean?” Yuri asked but Chaewon dragged her towards Wonyoung and she wasn’t able to complain.

 

“Wonyoung-ssi, this is Jo Yuri. Yuri-ah, this is the owner of the necklace, Jang Wonyoung.” she introduced both to each other.

 

Yuri bowed to her, “Nice to meet you, I picked up your necklace earlier today.” She took out the necklace and handed it to Wonyoung who was wearing a blank face. 

 

Wonyoung sighed and slightly bowed, "Thank you."

 

Chaewon glanced at her co-workers and nodded at them. Sakura used her abilities so that she can be seen and went near Yuri to offer her a drink. “What would you like to drink Yuri-ssi?”

 

“Oh~ Chaewon unnie must have talked about me a lot seeing that you know my name! I would like stały. "

 

“Uh, I'm sorry but that doesn’t exist but would you like my specialty called ZOZI?” Sakura offered.

 

Yuri eyed her friend suspiciously but went with what the bartender suggested.

 

-----
 

“Is your friend going to be okay?” Wonyoung asked Chaewon worriedly who just got back after escorting Yuri outside.

 

“Don’t worry, I needed to do that, I can’t be fired but I’ll be dead meat if the CEO ever founds out a human was here. Besides, she’ll just wake up without any memories of this place. Now, shall we start?” 

 

Wonyoung scanned the place, looking at the souls in front of her and sighed. “You know, this is all pointless. I told you I don’t want to get married to a stranger.”

 

“Then, shall I search for someone you know or you loved when you were still alive?”

 

“No, that would be pointless too. I guess shouldn’t waste your efforts so I have no choice but to choose.” Wonyoung stood up from her chair while gripping her necklace. She walked around, stopping at each soul present in the room but turned away from them. Instead, she headed for Chaewon’s direction and stopped in front of her.

 

 

At first, Chaewon was in a state of confusion but when it came to her what was happening, her expression turned into shock and was slightly blushing. 



 

Jang Wonyoung reached out her hand with the necklace, handing it to her.