Chapter 1

Rules

       Isaiah clutched the letter and hold it to her face. As if in a trance, she moved to open it, but flinch in shock when she heard Joy’s voice calling her name.

“What are you doing?! Hurry up!” she yelled.

Isaiah hurriedly put the letter and the flower in her bag and rushed towards the gate. There stood Joy and Yeri both crossing their arms with an impatient look and their face. Isaiah puts a sheepish smile on her face in hopes of calming the down and it worked.

“What took you so long?” Joy asked.

Isaiah opens to tell her about the letter, but closes it back again. “I got...lost?” Isaiah face-palmed in her mind.

Joy and Yeri looked at each other and raises an eyebrow in a questioning manner. Yeri turns back to Isaiah and asked her “You got lost…in a school building that you’ve been studying in for two years?”

Isaiah nodded slowly. Joy and Yeri looked at her again with a ‘you’re an idiot and we don’t believe you’ face.

Before they could interrogate her, Joy’s eyes fixes on something behind Isaiah’s back. Her eyes widened in realisation. “Oh… that’s why you were late”.

Isaiah and Yeri look back and saw Irene and Bogum walking out hands in hands. Isaiah walked past Joy and Yeri and they were quick to follow. The entire walk back home was filled with an awkward silence. They bid each other goodbye before part ways. Joy and Yeri wanted to call out to Isaiah but decide not to.

   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

             That night, Isaiah sat in her chair and leans back against it and closes her eyes. She sighs deeply and put her hands on her forehead and began to think back about Irene’s mixed signals towards her. Does she like her or does she not? All the longing gazes, the discreet smile Irene sent towards her makes her smile. Her smile faded as soon as she remembers about Bogum. She opens her eyes and opened her bag to pull out her book and do some homework, when she saw the letter.

She pulled out the letter and the flower out of her bag. Then she remembered what Joy said. About the game. She shook her head to get rid of the nonsense thought out of her head. She opens up the letter and she read it.

“Rule no.1. Speak of this to anyone, and the thing that you hide in the dark, will be forced to be in the light…” Isaiah eyes widened. ‘Someone knew about her secret? No… she wouldn’t have made a mistake. It’s impossible.’ She thought.

She chuckled before it turned to full-blown laughter and said “This must be some kind of a prank. Must be Joy’s and Yeri’s work” She shook of the thought and got back to do her homework, after she finishes it, she looked at the flower and put in it in a vase filled with water and lie on her bed. The thump on her wall lulled her to her dreamless sleep

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

The next day, she got ready for school and her eyes drifted to the letter and the words on it. She shook it off and got back to tying her necktie. She got downstairs and already sees Joy munching on her cereal.

“How’d you get in?” Isaiah asked her pointedly.

Joy raises her eyebrow at her and said “With the key?”

Isaiah’s face morphed in confusion. “I didn’t give you the key?

Joy smirked “and that’s why you should hide it better. In the vase? Really?”

Isaiah’s mouth gaped open. “Wow that’s really creepy, you could murder me in my sleep and nobody would suspect a thing”

Joy smiled creepily.

The day resumes as normal, at the class the trio chatted a bit and a sudden thought suddenly popped in her mind. The letter, she should ask them about it. “Hey did you guys- “

Her questions were cut off when a student calls her and said that their homeroom teacher Mrs Lee wanted to meet her. Joy and Yeri were quick to . “OOOH, you’re in trouble” they said before cackling with an unladylike manner, and you would think with a pretty face like that they would be more elegant.

Isaiah smiled mockingly before, sticking her tongue out.

She walked to the staff room and opened the door. She walked to Mrs Lee’s table and greeted her politely. “You wanted to see me?” Isaiah asked.

Mrs Lee turned around and smiled. The side of her eyes crinkled and a little dimple on the side of . Even though Mrs Lee is reaching 45 years old but her beauty never recedes.

“Oh yes, Isaiah… I just have something to ask you about, if it’s alright with you?”

Isaiah smiles politely and nod.

“Are you feeling alright?” Mrs Lee asked carefully.

Isaiah smiles confusedly. “Um… yes I’m feeling fine. Thank you?”

“Oh well that’s great. Have you been experiencing any trouble lately?”

Isaiah’s brows furrow in confusion. “What brought this on ma’am?” Isaiah asks.

Mrs Lee hesitated before saying “Uh… your father called me to inform about your issues that you’ve been dealing and I’m just here to tell you that- “

before Mrs Lee could finish, Isaiah stood up and said “I’m fine ma’am and you do not have to be concerned of my-“ Isaiah cleared and continued “issues”

Isaiah quickly gets out of the staff room and put her hands on the wall leaning and hunching over. Her breaths come out as erratic and she felt a hand on her shoulders. She quickly looked back and sees Irene with a worried face. “Are you okay” Irene asked with concern.

Isaiah manage to mustered out a shaky smile. “Yeah…I’ll be fine.” Irene still looked concern and opened to say something but was cut off by the bell. Isaiah smiled at her one last time before running back to her class.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            It was around 9 pm when her phone vibrates. She thought it was her father’s message to remind her not to make any trouble so she ignored it, and then comes another message, she ignored it again, and then comes another and another.

She unlocked her phone expecting it was father, but it was an unknown number. She opens the text message and it reads “Congratulations! You’ve succeeded to follow the first rule!” below the text it was pictures of…her.

Isaiah eyes widened as she looked at the pictures. There was a picture of her outside her house, in school, in the staff room, in the class room, with Joy and Yeri and Irene. She quickly types in a message and before she could send it, someone was calling her.

It was the unknown number. She hesitates for a second before answering it. On the other side of the line all she could hear was heavy breathing. Isaiah opens to say something. Her heartbeat is beating quickly against her ribcage. But the unknown number beat her to it. “Isaiah…I think you are the most interesting subject that I’ve ever played with” the voice speaks with its distorted voice.

“Wh-who are you? What do you want from me?” Isaiah stuttered out.

The voice chuckled amusedly before laughing maniacally. “What do I want from you?” the voice hums. “It’s simple really, I just want you to play my game. If you win, I won’t kill you and if you lose…well I guess you could guess what would happen

Isaiah gulps “what if I don’t want to?”

The voice was silent for a while before Isaiah heard a voice. “Recognise that voice?

“what?” Isaiah whispered out.

Let me give you a clue it starts with a C and ends with a Y, in the middle of it, there’s an I, N, D.” Isaiah was confused for a little while before piecing it all together.

Remember now darling? Now, what would your friends think of you, if they knew of your past?

“N-no. please don’t tell them. “Isaiah begged out.

“I’ll play your game, just please don’t tell them” The voice laughed joyfully

The game is quite simple really each of us will make rules in each of our turn, the rules that we make cannot be broken, not by you, not by me. If you broke the rules, there will be punishment and if I broke the rule, I will give you clues on who I am. The rules created of course will have to be confirmed by me, if it’s not confirmed the rules will not be used in our game."

 

 “How would I know if you broke the rule?” Isaiah asked.

that’s an easy fix, when you first opened my text message an app has already been downloaded in your phone, that app is some kind of tracking device that allows us to keep tabs on the rules. You will be notified if I broke the rules. In everyone’s eyes I’m just a normal person living my life and not a psychopath mutilating bodies. Since you’ve already succeeded in following my rules, it’s your turn now to make your rules.”

Isaiah sniffed and choked out “my first rule is do not get anyone else involved in this game, no harm will come their way, just me and you” “Aww that is soo thoughtful of you” the voice mocked her.

fine that will be your first rule. Tomorrow night I’ll give you my next rule, and remember I’m always watching you, you should be afraid.” Isaiah gasped in fear and she sobbed out loud.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: poor isaiah... this is such a poop story :( i really don't know how to project my imagination into words. sorry...