Prologue

Rules

Rules: Chapter 1

 ‘...numerous body parts have been found randomly. Just this morning, a hand was found in the garbage bin by a resident on this apartment. The police suspected that it may be linked to the cases of students that recently had gone missing. Th-‘

The television shuts off and the person who’s watching it groaned. “Isaiah! I was watching that” she said grumpily. Isaiah raises an eyebrow.

 “Don’t you think it’s a bit morbid to watch something like that while eating breakfast, Joy?”. Isaiah asks while smirking lightly.

 Joy glares at her while throwing a piece of dry cereal. “It’s interesting. Besides, nothing like this has ever happened before in our town and I thought you’d be more into this, considering all that serial killer documentary you’ve watched.” Joy retorts.

“What do you mean into this? Do you think it’s my kink or something? And it’s different” Isaiah said. Joy’s face turns confused, but before she could ask, Isaiah cuts her off.

“Oh sh-, we’re late!” Isaiah frantically stands up and run to get her bag on the sofa, while Joy is still trying to gulp down her cereal.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Isaiah hastily puts on her shoe while Joy was still trying to wear her socks, standing up and jumping around. After she succeeded, Isaiah took her by the hand and just booked it. Fortunately, they made it just in time. By the time they arrived at the classroom’s door, they were panting heavily. Their clothes were untidy, Isaiah’s tie was loose, and their hair was a mess.

“You look like a mess.” a soft voice greeted them from behind. Joy and Isaiah looked behind them and lo and behold, it’s the student council president.

“Irene”. Isaiah greeted in a lazy smile while holding a peace. Irene chuckled and scanned them from head to toe. She stepped forward and Isaiah stiffened subtly standing in her full height. Irene grabbed Isaiah’s tie lightly and tugged on them so that Isaiah was standing in the same height as her.

“Wh-what are you doing?” Isaiah gulped.

Irene smirked lightly “You know… when it comes to appearance I’m very strict about it, and I don’t appreciate you…coming in here looking like…” Irene stops and bite her lips, her pupils dilated and her gaze travels to Isaiah’s collarbone. She comes closer to her ear. Isaiah could feel her warm breath over her ear and shivers a little.

 “…a hot mess”. Irene tightened Isaiah’s tie and abruptly pushes her away. She turns around and looked over her shoulder and smiles coyly before walking away.

Still breathing harshly, eyes wide open, Isaiah tried to calm herself. She looked to the right and see Joy standing there with a smug face. “Wow. That is so heavy that I almost die while holding my breath. She doesn’t even notice me standing here.” Joy said.

Isaiah ignored her and enters the classroom while bumping her shoulder with Joy. Isaiah sat down on her seat and buries her face in her arms. “What’s wrong with her?” someone asked.

“Don’t bother her, she basically just got lady blueballs from her crush.” Joy’s annoying voice said. Isaiah stood up abruptly her chair is knocked because of how fast she’s standing.

“IRENE IS NOT MY CRUSH! “Isaiah yelled out.

“I didn’t say it’s Irene.” Joy said teasingly. Isaiah’s face grew hotter.

“B-but y-you…u-ugh” she stutters and then sat down. Forgetting her chair was knocked down, she fell to the ground with a hard thud. A cackle was heard it was none other from the Satan spawn herself named Yeri.

“Oh my god… you got it real bad don’t ya” Yeri asked with a fake sympathy on her face.

“S-shut up “Isaiah retorts weakly.

“You should’ve seen her face. It was so hilarious and I was just there the whole time holding my laugh.” Joy said.

“She was like ‘oh Irene, please dominate me.” Yeri laughs while Joy poorly imitate me.

“You b-. It wasn’t like that at all!” Isaiah defended herself, trying to hold her shattered pride. The two spawns of Satan laughed madly. Isaiah sulks and got an idea. She smirked maliciously.

“Oh well, I doubt the two of you would be laughing after I tell Seulgi and Wendy about your crush on them” She said. The two of them suddenly stopped and tried to change the topics. Isaiah smiled victoriously. Before she could torture them, the teacher comes in and begin the first lesson.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

While the teacher was teaching, Isaiah’s phone vibrates. She ducks down to turn off her phone secretly, but before she could do that, one by one, of her classmate’s phone were ringing with notification. “Wh-what is this?” they murmured out. All of her classmate checked the message. Isaiah looks around and see Joy’s face morphed into a confusion with a hint of fear. The teacher who was teaching is angry because no one is paying attention.

Isaiah finally checked out the message ‘WARNING!!! ON THIS DAY FORWARD, STUDENTS ARE ADVISED TO WALK HOME IN LARGE GROUPS. ESPESCIALLY FEMALE, SINCE THE RATE OF KIDNAPPING IN THIS TOWN ARE INCREASING IT IS MUCH BETTER TO WALK IN PAIRS. DO NOT WALK ON THE STREETS LATE AT NIGHT, LOCK YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS. -an order from the Police Department.’

A loud bang makes all the students shocked. “Are you all paying attention now?” the teacher said with a cane in his hand. The lesson starts again but with a more solemn atmosphere.

 

 

 

The bell rings and it’s finally recess. Isaiah sighed deeply half-relief and half-troubled. Joy and Yeri stays silent for a moment. “Do you think that message is connected to the game?” Yeri said. Isaiah looked up in confusion.

“What game?” she asked. Joy and Yeri looked at her bewildered.

“You don’t know?” Isaiah sighed exaggeratedly.

“That’s why I’m asking.” Isaiah said.

“Oh yeah. We forgot that you moved in here in 9th grade.” Joy realised.” I mean it’s like an urban legend you know, apparently there’s this girl that lived in this town. She like to play the game so she would put a letter and a flower randomly in of the school’s locker.”

Isaiah asked “Why would she put a letter and a daffodil there?” Yeri continued.

“It’s like an invitation to begin the game” Isaiah’s face becomes intrigued.

“You keep saying the game. What is the game actually about.”

Yeri continued again “That’s the thing nobody knew because nobody ever wins. Everyone that played the game ended up dead. They were always the same method of killing. Mutilation.”

“Holy ” Isaiah gulped.

Joy continued “Yeah, so basically that girl is a straight up psychopath. Nobody was able to believe that girl is a serial killer because she looked like a normal person. It just makes me wonder how many times I have brushed shoulders with a monster. Ugh… just thinking about it makes me nauseous.” Joy finishes off with a disturbed looks on her face. Before Isaiah can ask any more question. The bell rings.

 

 

 

 

 

After the last class is finished the three of them went to the locker. Before Isaiah opened them, she suddenly realises something. “Ah shoot! I forgot my pencil case.”

Joy groaned” You’re such an idiot” Joy said jokingly.

“Hurry up and get them, before we left you here for the serial killer to kidnap “Yeri said probably meaning that.

 “We’ll wait in front of the entrance gate” Isaiah heard behind her while she was running to the classroom. Since it was on the 3rd floor she had to use the stairs. She arrived at the classroom and found her pencil case. She grabbed it and felt a hand on her back. She jumped away scared and in front of her was an amused Irene.

“What are you still doing up here” Irene asked.

“I was grabbing my pencil case…what are you still doing up here?” Isaiah choked up, clearly still shaken.

“I’m the student council president, I have to be here to finish up my paperwork and I saw you here so I decided to ask you ‘what you are still doing up here’ and now here we are.” Irene explained lengthily with a smug face.

“Oh ok…wait you’re finishing up your paperwork alone?” Isaiah asks

“Yeah, why are you worried about me?” Irene ask haughtily

“Of course, I would, I-I mean that anybody would. Didn’t you see the message sent by the police department?” “I did” “And?” “And what?” “You’re still going home alone?” “Who says I’m going home al-“ a voice interrupted us. It was Park Bogum’s aka Irene’s boyfriend. He is a handsome man as well as his manner

“Irene are you done?” He asked

“Oh y-you’re not alone…that’s good” Isaiah smile weakly and rushes out of the classroom, Irene's hands twitches to reach out but retract it by her sides, her fist balling.

Isaiah run downstairs and mutters to herself "You're such an idiot"

Isaiah walked to her locker and opens it. She took out her school bag and something falls out. Its..

 

A letter

 

And

 

A flower.