The Day Moon Byul Yi Adopted a Dragon Spirit

Dragon for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There's a saying that the older the person is, the wiser. Of course, that doesn't apply to everyone. For example, Kim Yong Sun, the three-hundred-year-old dragon spirit. 

“Yongsun-ssi, what are you doing?” Moonbyul asked the coughing woman who choked on the chili powder. Yongsun only replied with teary eyes and stuttered, “W-Water.”

Moonbyul chuckled as she grabbed a glass of water for Yongsun. The latter happily accepted the water and drank it as if her life depended on it – causing another series of coughs. Moonbyul sighed, “Of all the things you could eat here, you chose that one…”

Yongsun whimpered a reply, “I had nothing to do so I was tasting stuff while you were asleep.”

“Are you hungry? I’ll whip up something quick,” Moonbyul asked and Yongsun rapidly nodded, “The food from last night was delicious. I want more.”

The three-century-old spirit happily chirped like a child asking for candy. The sparkle in her stare made Moonbyul chuckle out loud, “Alright, coming right up.”

“I like it when you’re not cranky,” Yongsun’s cheeks puffed up from her wide smile.

“I’m nice if I have my sleep,” Moonbyul turned and pointed the spatula in her hand to her guest, “So don’t keep me up next time.”

“Who are you talking to, unnie?” A groggy Hyejin entered the kitchen, her footsteps making the floorboards creak.

“It’s Cleopatra!” The dragon spirit screamed and the other occupants of the room flinched at the sheer loudness of her voice. Why was this old lady so full of energy anyway?

“What–” Hyejin looked over to Yongsun… whose wings and horns were completely visible.

“Annyeong Cleopatra,” Moonbyul snickered. She waited for her dongsaeng’s snarky reply but nothing came. Looking away from the pan, she turned her attention to Hyejin whose eyes were following every single flutter of Yongsun’s wings.

“Cleopatra-ssi?” Moonbyul called out to Hyejin, “Hey, are you okay?”

Hyejin turned to Moonbyul and whispered. 

“… Am I dead?”

“Let me get this straight. She’s a thousand–”

“–Three hundred.”

“–year old demon–”

“–dragon spirit.”

“–and you let her into our home? 

“… In my defense, she just popped up out of nowhere.”

Hyejin sighed.

“Why are you in our home?” She asked the spirit eating Moonbyul’s homemade breakfast.

“I don’t know. When I came to, she was by my side,” Yongsun shrugged and pointed her fork at Moonbyul who was peacefully eating breakfast as well. Hyejin glared at her figurative older sister for letting a stranger – a demon at that, make themselves at home in her sanctuary. Technically, it wasn’t her sanctuary anymore but that wasn’t the point–

“Thank you for the food, Hyejin-ssi, it’s delicious.”

“I didn’t make–” Hyejin was interrupted by Moonbyul coughing on… porridge, “Are you alright?”

“Y-Yeah. Yongsun-ssi, can you come with me for a second,” Yongsun nodded but before she could reply, Moonbyul already dragged her out of her seat and into the hallway, leaving a very confused Hyejin behind.

Said maknae shrugged and began eating Moonbyul’s breakfast.

“Moon Byul Yi. That’s my actual name,” the woman taller by 1cm blurted out. Yongsun blinked blankly in return and stared at Moonbyul. They just looked at each other for a minute with Yongsun chewing her porridge like it was gum.

“… Are you there?” Moonbyul knocked on Yongsun’s forehead, “Why aren’t you saying anything?”

“Do people have second names now?”

“What– I guess?” Moonbyul replied with an unsure smile. This spirit’s powers, if she had any, were still a mystery to Moonbyul and the latter did not want to solve it through experience.

“I see,” Yongsun hummed as she accepted Moonbyul’s reply without question, “It’s nice to meet you then, Byulyi-ssi,” the wide, innocent smile on Yongsun’s face immediately made Moonbyul regret lying to the poor girl, but then again – she’s a dragon spirit who could probably turn her into ashes in a millisecond.

“Did you drag me here just to tell me that?”

Moonbyul, too engrossed with Yongsun’s cuteness, dumbly stuttered a yes. She didn’t even notice the blonde woman go back to the dining room and ask Hyejin her name.

“Ahn Hye Jin,” the femme fatale replied with thin lips. She was still wary about this spirit-demon-whatever unlike Moonbyul, who was just standing at the kitchen for no reason.

“Your first name is Ahn Hye Jin too? Okay,” Yongsun mumbled to herself and turned to Hyejin, “What’s your second name then?”

“What?” Hyejin raised an eyebrow at this eccentric spirit, “Second name?”

Yongsun nodded, “I bet it’s pretty.” 

“… PowG?” 

‘Are we really living with this spirit now…’

Hyejin didn't know how or when she started to accept Yongsun as a part of her everyday life.

After their second meeting (the first time was her being too tired and she let the spirit go wild in Moonbyul’s bedroom), Yongsun was pretty much glued onto Moonbyul’s side. Wherever the greaseball went, the spirit followed. The latter's excuse was that she wanted to learn more about the modern world. Moonbyul accepted her situation with a barely contained grin.

And as Hyejin guessed, the greaseball immediately told Yongsun about the “wonders of gaming” and tried to teach her about it. It wasn’t long until Hyejin looked back inside the living room only to find the two arguing and shouting at each other’s faces.

Apparently Moonbyul had no patience (even with cute creatures) whatsoever with teaching so her fuse quickly exploded when Yongsun couldn’t defeat her opponent for the hundredth time. The spirit did good on immediately grasping the concept of the game but, much to Moonbyul’s frustrations, Yongsun .

That lead to Yongsun hitting both her limit and Moonbyul. More chaos ensued after that.

When Hyejin found Yongsun snacking on uncooked ramen, she tried to find the Dragon-Watch-2k19, aka Moon Byul Yi, but she was missing. Hyejin could’ve quietly stepped away from the dining room but this evil entity called “pity” messed with her head, thus leading to an hour of cooking instant noodles.

Hyejin needed a nap afterwards – right after she mentally listed to buy more instant noodles because they just used up their entire stock. Yongsun would eventually need to learn how to cook other stuff, but Hyejin chose to shove that problem to Moonbyul once she came back.

Speaking of Moonbyul… Hyejin finally understood why Yongsun emerged by Moonbyul’s side.

She found out when the spirit came to her and asked if she should use the name “Ahn Hye Jin” as her first name and “Kim Yong Sun” as her second name – that prompted Hyejin to confront Moonbyul after hearing Yongsun’s reasons. With the greaseball cornered by a pissed lion, she immediately confessed to everything – starting from Sandeul breaking into their home to when Yongsun first appeared.

Hyejin then hid Moonbyul’s controller for a week while muttering something about a “.”

She also forced the woman to come clean to Yongsun. It involved a lot of literal pushes in Hyejin’s part but at least that was over now. Yongsun was actually grateful that the mug broke in the first place, thus sparing Moonbyul from turning into ashes. The former then stuck to the greaseball’s side even more, if that was possible, which in turn, made Moonbyul see the spirit more endearing than before. 

Hyejin groaned at that. Her unnie is getting blinded because of someone’s appearance, “Shame on her.”

“Shame on who?” 

Wheein asked as she came out of her bedroom in her pyjamas. The sleeves were too long for her arms and her pants had cat patterns on it. It was her head tilt that dealt the final blow to Hyejin’s sanity.

Hyejin sighed and buried her face into the palm of her hands.

“Shame on me.”

“Hyejin-ah… Are you okay? Do you want to talk about it?”

Ahn Hye Jin sighed again.

 

“You know you never told me about your past.”

Moonbyul asked as she watched Yongsun fall on her . The spirit was presently attempting to wake up her still sleeping wings. It only flapped for a while until it chose to drop Yongsun onto the mattress that Moonbyul laid on the living room. 

“Oh,” Yongsun flatly replied, “There isn’t much to tell. I was once a human and then the gods turned me into this… spirit.”

“Just like that? What, did they pick you out of a magic lottery or something?” Yongsun chuckled dryly at the human’s joke. Her lips thinned, unable to force a smile as she stared at Moonbyul.

“I don’t know. After I died, I woke up in the shrine where you found the mug. I panicked at first actually,” she laughed lightly at the memory, “I suddenly had these horns and wings and I was invisible so I couldn’t talk to anyone.”

“How come we can see you now?”

The spirit shrugged, “No clue, but back then people would just walk through me. I was alone.”

Yongsun only frowned for a split-second but Moonbyul already hated seeing that on her face, “Think of it this way, if people saw you, they would’ve freaked out.”

“Is that supposed to make me feel better?” Her deadpan stare made Moonbyul laugh, “They might’ve thrown holy water at you too.” 

The blonde snickered, “I think you’re the only one who’ll react like that.”

“I’m your first then?” Moonbyul’s eyebrows waggled, grinning suggestive. 

Yongsun shrugged in response, “You can say that.”

“Old spirit, right. Those jokes won’t work,” Moonbyul mumbled to herself. Yongsun furrowed her eyebrows, “What kind of jokes?”

“It’s nothing.”

“Did you mean jokes?”

Moonbyul facepalmed but nodded nevertheless, causing Yongsun to break out into a fit of high-pitched laughter. The former could only stare in wonder at the spirit who’s been laughing for one-minute straight. 

Moon Byul Yi loved seeing the pretty smile on Yongsun’s face. Her laughter was also music to her ears. But this was something else. She never knew that tiny joke could make her laugh for so long. Eventually, the giggles died down and Yongsun wiped the tears from the corner of her eyes.

“Are you sure you’re not a dolphin spirit?”

“No?”

“Well you laugh like it,” Moonbyul nodded to herself as she tried to imitate the other’s laugh. If her eyes were opened, she would’ve noticed Yongsun conjuring a tiny ball of blue fire. She also could’ve dodged said ball of fire but it was already on her fan.

“Yah!” The greaseball immediately threw the paper fan through the open doors and into the lake. Yongsun only snickered as she blew an imaginary smoke from her hand, “Proof that I’m a dragon spirit.”

“Yeah, no kidding,” Moonbyul sighed, “Any other abilities I should know about?”

“I’m stronger than the average human?”

“I got that one already after you slammed me into a wall when we were fighting for the blanket.”

“And I can fly if these stupid wings worked,” Yongsun pouted. 

“You’d think you’d get more abilities when the gods made you a spirit.”

The spirit looked at Moonbyul who was walking into the lake, about to retrieve her fan. The latter slipped and it sent Yongsun laughing again. She’s thankful that Moonbyul’s here – otherwise the memories haunting her wouldn’t give her a moment of peace.

“… Yeah.”

 

“We’ll take it!” Moonbyul stated ecstatically as she grasped the landlord’s hand and shook it hard. 

Hyejin groaned – the two of them were out on a search for apartments in the city, and by the first apartment, before they could even see the inside of the place, Moonbyul’s already agreeing to rent the place.

“Please don’t mind her,” Hyejin politely said to the landlord while pulling Moonbyul inside the flat. The confused landlord just nodded as the duo proceeded to examine the apartment.  

There’s two spacious bedrooms, a living room that’s as large as the one from their previous residence, a kitchen/dining room, and a bathroom. To sum it up, it was average. 

Hyejin’s plan was to show a bunch of plain or less attractive places so that when they reach Wheein’s apartment building, it will be “the best one” in their eyes. But Moonbyul’s too impatient and would rather settle with any apartment in the city as long as she got her wifi. 

This will take more effort than I thought…

It was a good thing that Hyejin convinced Moonbyul not to take the previous apartments until they got to Wheein’s.

The flat’s rent was rather pricey, but it was nice. They can afford it just fine since they always split the costs. It was basically like a hotel suite: it had a large living room and by the side of the tall windows, there’s a small bar counter – they just needed to restock it; the kitchen/dining room was spacious enough to have island counters to be a makeshift dining table; the two bedrooms and bathroom weren’t as cramped anymore.

“Let’s take it, unnie,” Hyejin turned to Moonbyul. She can’t possible turn down an apartment as nice as this one. 

“A little over the top, don’t you think?” The older woman grumbled, “Let’s just take the previous one, it’s cheaper too.”

“What– that place has only one bedroom, Byulie-unnie.”

Moonbyul nodded, her expression growing serious, “I have something to confess Hyejin-ah,” she grabbed the maknae closer and leaned their foreheads together, “I’ve been in love with you for a long time now. Go out with me and let’s sleep in the same bed from now on.”

Hyejin rolled her eyes at the greaseball. Usually it’s her who starts the flirting when the latter wasn’t annoying her but Hyejin wasn’t about to back down just because she took the initiative this time.

“Really? I’ve loved you for so long too Byul-ah. There’s a bed right there, I can’t wait anymore,” Hyejin replied in that dangerously husky voice of hers as she leaned her lips closer. Moonbyul knew right then that she just dug her grave. Fortunately, a certain canine-human hybrid chose to save her at that moment.

“I thought I heard you Hyejin-ah! You didn’t tell me you were– oh my god I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to invade your privacy! I’ll go now,” Wheein bolted out of the flat, leaving a wide-eyed Hyejin behind and a relieved but confused Moonbyul. 

“Wheein-ah, wait!” The femme fatale pushed Moonbyul away, “It’s not what you think–”

Hyejin chased after the shorter woman and grabbed her by the arm, panting as she spoke, “I-It’s not what you think.”

“It’s okay, Hyejin-ah. There’s nothing wrong with being gay. I’m gay too! It’s all cool,” Wheein gave her a thumbs up. Groaning, Hyejin resisted the urge to facepalm, “It’s not that…”

“Byulie-unnie and I were just joking around. We’re not together in that way. It’s just how we are sometimes.”

“Really? You two looked like you were about to rip each other’s clothes right then though…”

Hyejin chuckled flatly, she might’ve overdone that, “Really really. She’s like my sister.”

Hyejin had to explain a few more times until Whee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter