obscurity

the softest hours are the most quiet

unbeknownst to the naive pair, stars began to appear and the sun started its descent for the night, leaving the sky lost in that beautiful ‘transitional’ stage. it painted a picture for both girls to get lost in.

 

dahyun cleared .

 

“i-um..sorry” she breathed, pupils just a little more dilated than before.

 

the japanese girl was short circuiting, to say the least. cheeks were flushed a deep crimson whilst her laboured breathing continued to hit the other’s face in utmost shock..

 

it was true, she and dahyun had always had a ‘special’ relationship. that’s how her other friend’s would describe it anyway..the korean had become accustomed to sana’s relentless flirting and sometimes even embraced it, although never like this.

 

sana wasn’t aware of when exactly her hand started touching her lips, but she stopped as soon as she realised she was being watched, and rather attentively.

 

“sana..? please i- im sorry..” dahyun began again, this time beginning to shift herself off the bed and created distance between herself and the flustered japanese girl.

 

her movements were sluggish yet purposeful, and she began to thread fingers through her dark hair out of frustration.

 

dahyun was a runner. sana knew this.

 

sana knew she’d be left alone in the house if she didnt diffuse the situation quickly. so she did the only way she knew how.

 

leaving the bed, she carefully placed her arms tightly around the korean girl, drawing her into her front and planning to keep her there until their breathing was synced.

 

which was difficult when only one of you has a pulse.  

 

“i..i’m not mad..” 

 

this was the first and only thing sana managed to say for the past few minutes. dahyun stayed quiet, but visibly relaxed in her arms, which sana took as a good sign.

 

 “hey..look at me?” sana quietly prompted, loosening the grip she had on the korean girl.

 

when she didnt move, sana thought to try a different approach - knowing just how effective it was on the younger girl.

 

“dahyun-ah...please?” she whispered gently into the younger’s ear, making her shiver and begrudgingly, turn to sana’s direction.

 

dahyun avoided her eyes. she thought that it was best not to get lost when she was already at risk of losing her everything. 

 

sana interlaced her fingers with dahyun’s for the second time that evening.

 

“i’m s-“

 

sana cuts her off.

 

“can you stop apologising for one minute?” sana giggles, very close to dahyun’s face.

 

“sana..what..” shallow breaths.

 

“let’s go somewhere. anywhere” the older girl speaks with her eyes, knowing the younger is powerless under her gaze.

 

they’re already descending the staircase when dahyun quietly agrees.

 

—— 

 

their night is filled with usual rituals the two are accustomed to; running down empty streets and sana’s hearty laugh echoing behind them, visiting a nearby pet store for the pair to point out which animal looks the most like each other, leading to both of them being asked to leave by one of the late night employees.

 

they even caved and finish the night with fast food, which dahyun happily pays for - despite sana's refusing. it’s a slightly expensive tradition they aren’t exactly sure how they’re maintaining, but they always manage to find a way. 

 

yet there’s something different about tonight. 

 

both of them feel it. dahyun’s stomach was still in knots after her little ‘slip-up’ this afternoon, and under the cheap fluorescent lights of the convenience store near sana’s house, the older girl’s gaze was lingering on her far too long to be deemed as just ‘friendly’.

 

this was their usual routine, together during the night. things were better that way.  although sana hated this part the most,

saying goodbye.

 

“i dont want to go..” the japanese girl whispered to the empty street, the nearby bush and of course to her little vampire friend. pinkie finger tightly intertwined with the latters. far paler.

 

dahyun pulled her in for one more hug, she was supposed to leave 15 minutes ago.

 

“you’re always like this...we’ll see each other soon.” dahyun says stoically, but cant help break a smile when she feels just how tightly sana is holding onto her.

 

“well i told you didnt i? i miss you everyday.”

 

“it’s 4 in the morning sana, it's sleep that youre missing everyday.” the younger tries to stifle laughter, amazed by sana’s childlike behaviour.

 

with a sigh, she reluctantly agrees and gives dahyun one final squeeze goodbye, not before whispering a few inside jokes into the shorter's ear, and also a detailed description of what she will eat for breakfast tomorrow.

 

as much as dahyun tried laughing at sana’s antics, she cant help but feel empty. the knot was still there, like thick ropes filling her stomach. she’s thankful sana had not mentioned the kiss for the rest of the night, but as she waves goodbye to her world, all of her unanswered questions dance through her head insistently. her clunky boots scuff the pavement, heading home.

 

she’s quick to react though, when she hears the girl in question shouting her name from across the street and bolting in her direction.

 

“and ONE more thing!” the blonde girl screams, obviously giving no thought to the families trying to sleep on this once peaceful night.

 

but dahyun doesn’t really have time to think about that.

 

sana jumps into dahyun’s arms and connects their lips for the second time this evening. 

 

sana tugs on dahyun’s hair so much that her beanie falls to the pavement, which is then promptly abused further by dahyun’s boots, who is trying to regain her balance whilst simultaneously reciprocating sana’s actions with the same amount of feverishness.

 

soft sighs both enter and leave their mouths. its a sense of togetherness both girls have never felt before and are slowly becoming addicted to. 

 

it’s nothing like their first. it’s heated and messy, it’s almost exactly like them.

 

dahyun is the first to pull away, the lack of oxygen in her body threatening to betray her sana-clad arms. 

 

both girls rest their foreheads together, whilst sana catches her breath to finish her sentence she had started a few minutes ago.

 

“..please..feel free to kiss me anytime..” sana finishes. punctuating her sentence with another hard kiss to her dahyun’s lips.