golden

the softest hours are the most quiet

 soft sighs of discomfort escape sana’s lips whilst shrugging the heavy coat off of her shoulders. when she’d left her house the skies were plauged with clouds, masking the spectrum of deep colours that now have created an impromptu heat wave, much to the bubbly brunnette’s misfortune.

despite being the perkiest and most optimistic of her friend group, sana hates the sun. 

she hates the constant forehead wiping due to the harsh rays beating down on her, she hates the monotony of refilling her water bottle every hour and most of all..

she hates not being able to see her best and closest friend during the day.

you see, dahyun has this..’condition’, sana likes to call it (for lack of a better term) where she must stay away from heavy sunlight at all costs. sana never questioned it, she assumed it was some sort of unusual ritual the blonde girl kept with her as she moved overseas.

that didnt stop sana from flipping over the cracked flower pot, grabbing the spare key she assumed dahyun had ‘forgotten’ to relocate again and letting herself into a house she’d grown so accustomed to over the years.

sana knows everything about the kim house. but sana doesnt think she knows everything about dahyun.

sana knows she loves dahyun’s laugh, although rare. she knows she loves when the korean rolls her eyes good naturedly at her cheesy puns,  knowing she finds them just as funny as she does.

she loves dahyun’s sharp eyes. she finds herself getting lost in them sometimes..and occasionally she thinks dahyun gets lost in hers too.

breaking herself from her little ‘dahyun trance’, sana pads lightly up the mahogany staircase, placing each foot in a way which makes the least amount of noise possible.

she reaches dahyun’s door and slowly creaks it open, eyes already crinkling in excitement over seeing her favourite person for the first time today.

”dahyunnie..” sana whines.

”mph..” 

she finds dahyun in her usual spot, hidden under an abundance of dark pillows, matching the equally dark walls and the overall broody atmosphere.

the japanese perches on the edge of the bed, absentmindedly running the other’s golden hair through her fingers.

”dahyunnie..you missed school again today..”. 

dahyun can practically hear the latter’s pout laced within her soft words.

”dahyun..? please wake up~” 

dahyun caves.

”what do you want?” dahyun muffles out, voice laced with sleep and bedsheets.

“scooch.” sana commands, after shutting the blinds and leaving the pair with flits of gold dancing on their faces.

she wriggles comfortable in the bed, whilst adjusting to the comforting warmth dahyun willingly provided for her.

sana shares with dahyun her day, filling her in on mostly useless information or facts nobody would usually have time for, yet dahyun hangs onto every word.

”i missed you today..” sana whispers, shyly lacing her fingers between the pale girl’s cold hands.

”i miss you every day..” she adds, this time quieter.

”but im here” dahyun smiles, drawing familar patterns on her back, and making sana smile so wide dahyun thinks if her heart was still beating, it would have stopped by now.

like sana, dahyun had never been fond of the sun either. perhaps that is why they are drawn to each other, both find immense comfort in the darkness. 

but watching sana’s chest rise and fall with steady breaths, her gentle gaze painted with flits of gold, complimented by a smile worth more than a fine marble sculpture, dahyun swears she had never seen anything more perfect.

”you’re so beautiful.” the korean states, with a small smile now spreading across her face.

”uhm i-“ 

sana is cut off with a gentle kiss to her lips.

sana sighs as a new warmth fills her body, its comforting and addictive.

”dahyun..”

she remembers what it’s like to find joy in the blue skies, and feels around for golden hair to play with one last time.

she remembers what it was like before her sun never came up again.