The Wood Pigeon, chapter 1.

The Wood Pigeon

Rain tapped down at the blurry glass with a harsh and crual sound. The atmosphere changed when a small boy crawled up on the big chair and looked out of the window to the open sky. The stars seemed brighter than usual, he noticed. His big, round and innocent eyes stared deep, as he followed a few flying objects in the air. He backed away.

A few boms fell out of an airplane on the ground, and gunshots sounded. A wave of deathly screams and cries followed in return, which made the little boy close his eyes. Yoogeun placed his little hands on his ears to avoid the terror, the hate and the pain he felt. But as another bom fell and more screams were heard, Yoogeun still heard it all and removed his hands. He turned away and ran out of the living room to the hallway in search for his older brother. He ran further to the safest place in their house, his own bedroom, and saw his brother sitting on the edge of his bed while glaring at the window. Yoogeun didn't even hestitated a bit, as he ran with open arms and a cry to the bed and jumped as high as he could.

Minho's gaze teared away from the window and he catched the little boy, just in time, into a hug. Yoogeun rested his head on the big and warm chest, and sobbed quietly, the noises and the sounds that never seemed to stop, going on from outside. Minho gazed down and caressed the boy's hair, ressuring him that everything would be fine with a few whispers and a short kiss on the hair.

But Minho knew, that things wouldn't be fine, not even for a while. The war they were in had started a few months ago, but it didn't looked like it was going to change, because it became worse each day more. People suffered from loosing their family members at diseases, and some even suffered from seeing others die from a gunshot through the head. It wasn't a nice time to grow up, being a child and go through so much horror, when you actually needed to go to school. But that was a thing Minho's parents couldn't afford. They were happy enough that they could still live in this house, even though they were poor, so they had nothing to complain about. And as smart as they were, Yoogeun and Minho knew that, and they helped their parents out to survive the war.

Minho hussed the boy silent and felt the younger relax. Minho gave a small smile. The comforting thing was something he always succeed in, just as hiding the painfull and secret truth Yoogeun doesn't have to know yet. The only thing Minho couldn't succeed yet, was making the boy stop thinking negative about life. But Minho understood that, completley. Their lifes wasn't about roses, after all. And besides, Yoogeun was for a 5 year old a very smart kid.

Minho sighed as Yoogeun had stopped with sobbing, and smiled widely when he saw Yoogeun smile, too. “Thank you, Minho hyung.”

Yoogeun hugged the elder more and let his eyes close from the warmth and the rhtyhm that Minho was rocking their bodies with. A slow and easy rhythm, that made Yoogeun drift off to dreamland in shorter than a second. Minho sighed and stopped rocking, as he glared down at the window and at the heavy rain that didn't seemed to stop either, waiting patiently for his parents to come home. Minutes had past, and still no sign of their parents.

The doorbell rang. Minho shot his head to the door and then back to Yoogeun. He left the sleeping boy on the bed as he ran to the door when the bell rang for the second time. He quickly opened the door and saw four man that stood on the doorway, three of them in an army uniform and the fourth in the middle that wore a neat uniform that didn't said anything, but instead held out a paper and gave it to Minho. Minho took it and frowned when he read it slowly. No words were exchanged when Minho read the entire letter, and not even when he was done. His big eyes widened and he looked up to the emotionless faces. But the eyes gave it away.

His parents. They're dead. And now, they want him and Yoogeun to leave the house, them being forced, and go to an orphanage, because they have no family members anymore to stay at.

Silence stayed. Minho didn't fully got the realization and bowed without having any respect in his heart to the man for bringing the news. After the dissapearance of the four man, Minho slammed the front door shut and read the letter again. The true words had suddenly hit him hard.

‘We want to inform that Mr. and Ms. Choi have died from an accident or any other reason.’

‘The relatives that lived along with Mr. and Ms. Choi, must leave the house as quickly as possible. In this inspect, they will be brought to an orphanage, army or retirement.’

Minho's heart arched when he bit his lip and tried to held back his tears. He turned his body around and saw to his surprise his younger brother standing there. His sleepy head, the way he's looking up at him and his upstanding hair made him look adorble, but the tearing eyes and pout made him also look funerable and sad. Yoogeun trembled with his arms, his little teddybear underneath his arm shaking along, and swallowed with a soft sound. “Mummy and daddy aren't coming home, are they?” The question hurted Minho so much. It even became worse when Yoogeun asked, “They are gone, aren't they?” and Minho kneeled down to get on the boy's eyelevel. He couldn't speak nor tried to say a word for an answer as he pushed Yoogeun to their room as a sign of packing their stuff silently.

---------

“Where are we going, hyung?” Yoogeun asked, as they sat in the backseat of the car that drove them to their next 'home'. “Are we getting kidnapped?”  Minho laughed at the boy that gave such a funny question, and silently also because he couldn't deny that was for a 30% true, and hugged his little brother. He shook his head and placed his finger on his lips for silence, that followed quickly.

Secretley, Minho took a glance away from Yoogeun to the mirror to his left, where he could have a good look at the, somewhat handsome looking, man that had stood at their door and helped with their luggage, and saw him doing nothing more than looking very serious and emotionless. Just like the driver did. Minho sighed, wondering how long the drive would be.

In a flash, a few army people ran by and shoot at some people, that made Yoogeun scream in shock, jump up and cry his eyes out from the sudden movement. Minho gulped and tried to calm him down with his deep voice, but he knew that would be a hard thing to do. He hussed and brought the younger closer, but nothing seemed to work. Great, Minho thought in worry. Suddenly, the driver raised his voice and shouted, “Let the kid shut his ing mouth!” and made Yoogeun cry even louder and harder.

After a few minutes, the crying had seemed to stop and Yoogeun sat down on Minho's lap. He sniffed a few times and giggled at Minho pinching his noise. “Hyuuuuung.” He whined. Minho smiled and ruffled his hair. “Just stay smiling. We're going to meet new people there, in our new home.” Minho bit his lip for saying that word a bit arrogant. “New people, maybe even friends. That would be wonderfull, right? So, from now on...”

“Stay smiling and show your brightest aigoo!” Yoogeun yelled with his arms in the air. Minho laughed and nodded from the mood change. He then gazed back at the mirror to his left when he saw something, and thought to see the handsome looking male giving a slight smirk before turning all serious again. Yoogeun, in the mean time, looked outside with great interest and had some other things in mind. It was actually night- and bedtime for him, so he was pumped to stay up this late. The younger even noticed that the more they drove away from their city, the more the peace was coming back again.

----------------

“Here we are, boys. The most famoust orphanage in the entire country.”

The car stood still in front of a enormus building and the handsome male, that had greeted himself at Kim Jonghyun, closed the door to get the boy their luggage. Minho opened the door and stepped out. He grabbed his own suitcase with a bow, Yoogeun followed politely, and the two moved along behind Jonghyun inside the building. Minho and Yoogeun opened their mouths and gaped from the design of white walls and grey tiles, and the big place in general, that had children that walked or ran by, some growns up doing the same.

“Follow me.” Jonghyun said. Without whining, they followed Jonghyun the fifth floor. Minho blinked his eyes and was amazed that there were so much doors in the building. At one, Jonghyun suddenly stood still and got a few keys from his pocket as he opened the door. “Minho, this will be your room. Yoogeun, you are going with me to the section that's for children of your age.”

Minho nodded by that, but Yoogeun disliked it and hid behind his brother's leg from coming along with Jonghyun. Minho sighed and looked down. “It's okay, Yoogeun. You can trust him. I will come and visit you in your new room later, is that alright?”

Yoogeun gazed up at his elder brother, and nodded carefully. With a shy look, Yoogeun grabbed Jonghyun's hand and walked along to the child section. Minho stayed watching, until he suddenly heard a noise coming from the room where the door has been opened of. Curious, he peeked and stepped inside. The first thing he did, was staring down at a boy that laid down on his bed and was reading a thick book, with the words 'ALGEBRA' on it. Minho coughed.

The boy on the bed placed his book down and gaped. Minho, on the other hand, felt his heart beat faster and almost dropped his suitcase from shock. The boy in front of him was in an uniform, that looked a lot like a schooluniform, and had some kind of nerdy attitude with those glasses on. But still, Minho couldn't help himself from admiring the beautiful features of the boy. The pink plump lips, his hair that was as dark as the night, a pale skin and a pair of light brown pupils that gazed dreamily up into Minho's own. 

Minho slapped himself mentally for having such stupid thoughts and moved over to the empty bed next to the beautiful boy. He placed his suitcase down and turned to see the boy, still, staring at him. Shy and not so open at all, Minho turned back and tried the best to ignore the other by packing out his luggage. But that was difficult to do, having the feeling of being watched the whole time. After he was almost done with packing, he heard the bed behind him move. “Guy?”

Minho frooze from hearing the soft noise that was a voice, coming from behind him, and turned around shyly. He faced the boy carefully, that didn't seemed to by shy at all, and showed his hand. “Annyeong. My name is Lee Taemin, and yours?”

Minho looked down at the hand, felt his cheeks blush a bit from embarrasment, and gazed back up to meet Taemin's bright smile. That smile made him smile, too, and grab the warm hand. “Choi Minho.” And he shoke it, but with care.

“Choi Minho.. I hope we can get along well and become good friends.” Taemin said with a nod. Minho agreed and nodded too with a wider smile. “Yeah. I hope, too.”

 

--------- 

Well, here is the start. I know, it's maybe not so good as you imagined it would be, but hey. It's a start! :-D Be sure to leave some comments, I sure want to know if this writing style is something I have to try in the future again, or just go back to my old one again. :) Thanks!