The Threshhold

Mr. Rational and Miss Dreamer

Logically, heiresses who would inherit big corporations would never fall for their humble servants, but Park Sooyoung’s feelings for Yook Sungjae was an exception.

Sungjae’s father passed away when he was ten years old, leaving him and his mother almost nothing, as he was a teacher with a noble heart but barely any money to his name. To make ends meet, his mother, who had never worked before, asked to her friends if there were any positions as a cook in any houses they worked at, since Sungjae’s mother was only confident in one skill, cooking.

One of her school friends worked in Park family’s mansion, and when Sungjae’s mother heard they needed a cook, she applied. She was accepted after the head chef tasted her doenjjang jjigae and omelette.

For her, it was a jackpot, since she could get a high paycheck for her standard, and a room in the mansion’s quarter for their servants, which resembled a luxurious room to someone who usually lived in very affordable rented rooms.

So since Sungjae was ten years old, he lived in Park family’s mansion. The kitchen there had three cooks, including his mom and the head chef. When there were parties, the family would hire an extra help. The house also had at least two dozen servants to keep it clean and well maintained, excluding the drivers, the gardeners and the butler.

The kitchen was spacious with tables for the servants to eat and the cooks to cook. All of the servants ate from the meals cooked at there. It’s the liveliest place of the house, and Sungjae loved it there, with the delicious smell of the meals cooked, and the kind ahjussis and ahjummas there. He began having his meals there as well when he’s not in school. He also did all his homework and studying there.

It took only a few days for Sungjae to solidify his status as the ahjussis and ahjummas favourite child.

His mother always brought a tray of meal three times a day to Park Sooyoung’s bedroom. One day, everyone was busy cleaning because there would be an executive party the next day, and Sungjae’s mother needed help to bring extra fruits for the little Miss Park, and she asked her son to bring it for her.

Sooyoung’s mother hired a nutritionist to arrange the menu for her daily meals, to make sure she had the best combination of meals that would be best for her intelligence, health and complexion. The kitchen must follow these menus to prepare the meals for Miss Park, with the exact measurement of fat, salt and everything else.

Sungjae thought it was such a troublesome way to cook, since he often heard her mom and the other two cooks had meetings to discuss what and how to cook for her.

The mansion was huge and Sungjae had only ventured around the servants’ quarters and gardens until that day he helped his mother carried a big plate of extra fruits for Sooyoung.

He had never seen her before, and he wasn’t sure what he imagined of a little girl who had her meals arranged by a nutritionist, yet definitely it wasn’t like the little girl he first met that day.

She just came home from her ballet lesson, and she hadn’t changed. Sungjae first saw her that day as a pretty little girl who was wearing a pink tutu dress, and she was negotiating with her assistant to make her homework for her.

“It will take one hour for me to finish the maths homework. If unnie is the one who does it, you’ll finish in five minutes tops.”

“Agassi, first of all, you know your mother doesn’t want you to call me “unnie” and second, if I do your homework for you, you’ll never learn division properly.”

“I hate maths the most, you know that, Yoona unnie! And I’m so tired already! Why do I have so much homeworks? Not only from school, but also from my other lessons outside school! I can’t even watch TV shows or play with my dolls!”

“You played already today, remember? Before we went to your ballet lessons? I scheduled it for you.”

“For thirty minutes only! Who plays only for thirty minutes?”

Sungjae heard all of that, and was confused as to why a child had to have a schedule to only play.

“Agassi, your dinner is ready.”

Sooyoung turned to Sungjae’s mother and him. She was surprised to see another child in the house, holding a big plate of fruits. He and his mother laid her meal on one of the glass tables in her room. Sungjae was awed with how big her bedroom was. A football field could easily fit there.

“Who’s that?” Sooyoung asked.

“This is my son, Agassi. His name is Yook Sungjae.”

“Why is he here?”

“Why? Can’t I be here?” Sungjae asked, feeling defensive, knowing the little girl owned the house with her parents.

His mother was shocked, “Sungjae, don’t be rude to Agassi!”

“She’s rude first, Omma. We brought her lunch but she never thanked us.”

Sungjae’s mother and Yoona were even more shocked. No one had ever spoken like that to Sooyoung.

“Aigoo, I don’t know what’s wrong with him. He’s usually a really polite child. Please don’t report this to the Master, Miss Yoona. I need this job.”

“I won’t” Yoona promised. “Please apologize to Agassi, though, Sungjae.”

“What did I do wrong? She’s the one who—“

Sungjae’s mother grabbed his shoulder to stop speaking, and was going to drag him outside.

“He’s right. I’m sorry, ahjumma. Thank you for cooking my dinner and giving it to me. Thanks to you too, scary boy.”

“Aigoo, Agassi, you’re welcome. Please forgive my son. “

“It’s ok. Appa told me to always say thank you and I’m sorry. Does this mean I have a friend at home, then?”

“Eh???” both Yoona and Sungjae’s mother exclaimed.

“There’s a boy my age. We can play and study together.”

“No, you can’t” Yoona interjected.

“Why not?”

“Because he’s a ser—“

“How old are you?” Sooyoung asked Sungjae directly.

“I’m ten years old” Sungjae anwered.

“I’m nine. I guess I can call you an Oppa.”

“We’ll go back to the kitchen, Miss Yoona” Sungjae’s mother quickly said.

“Ne, I think you better go now, unnie.”

“No, have dinner with me!” Sooyoung called back. “What’s your name again, Oppa?”

Sungjae’s mother was pulling at his hand.

“I won’t eat if he doesn’t sit with me!!!” Sooyoung yelled.

“Andwaeyo, Agassi. I think your parents will be angry if they know—“

“Why would they be angry?”

“Because—“

“Ah, mwolla! Palli, sit here, I’m starving! If he doesn’t sit with me, I really won’t eat anything! Then I’ll have an ulcer problem, and everyone will be in trouble tomorrow!”

Regardless of what the little girl said, Sungjae’s mother was too afraid that something bad would happen to her son, so she hurried and dragged Sungjae away from Sooyoung’s bedroom.

Afterwards, Sungjae’s mother had to sternly warn him to never speak like that to Sooyoung again.

“I work for her parents, Sungjae-yah. Her parents make me could give you a roof above your head, your meals and the money to buy your clothes and school. She is above us, Adeul. Above you. You must always be polite with her. You were really rude to her earlier. The madam is a really powerful woman. She could make you unable to go to any school in Seoul if she hates you. I don’t want anything bad to happen to you, so next time, if you see Park Agassi again, you must be nice to her.”

“I will be nice if she’s nice to Omma and me” little Sungjae said stubbornly.

“Adeul, it doesn’t work that way.”

“Why???”

“She and her parents are really rich. The richest in this country could do anything to the poor, like us.”

“Us? We’re not poor.”

His mother was speechless. Sungjae didn’t understand that they were poorer than most people. He didn’t know they had no house. The flat they lived in was rented, and when his father passed away, his mother couldn’t continue to pay it, therefore she opted for a job with living accommodation.

However, Sungjae never knew that he was poor. When he wanted to eat, ever since he could remember, he could always eat until he was full. When he was sleepy, he could always sleep on a nice bed, with his mother near him. Whether it was summer or winter, he had all the clothes he ever needed. Either shoes or his little play cars, he had it all. In Sungjae’s world, he was rich.

All the new splendour he saw in Park family’s mansion was not his. And he never thought he needed any of it. So Sungjae thought he was rich.

He just moved to a new elementary school in the area of Park mansion. He didn’t know that his friends wore more expensive shoes and wore branded backpacks. All he knew was he wore shoes and backpack.

His lunch boxes were filled with meat and chicken as well, since his mother started to work in Park family. In his own little world, that made him even richer. He didn’t know that those were the leftover meat and chicken for the Park family from the previous day, but for a 10 year old, it didn’t matter as long as it tasted good.

Therefore, as far as he understood, he and Park Agassi were equal.

But his mother told him otherwise, and he had never not listened to her. With a heavy sigh, he agreed to be nicer to Park Agassi.

**************************************************

That same evening, on 10 PM, Sungjae, who was already asleep, was woken up by his mother.

“Omma? What’s wrong?”

“Adeul, I’m sorry for waking you up. Park Agassi refused to eat dinner until now. She said she wants to eat with you.”

“Huh? But I had dinner already, with Omma and ahjussideul and ahjumadeul in the kitchen. Remember?”

“Ne. But we must go to Agassi’s bedroom now and accompany her for dinner.”

“What, now? I’m really sleepy.”

“Please, Adeul. If she gets sick, it’s our fault. I might be fired. Then I won’t have money to feed you and send you to school.”

Sungjae wanted to spat that it couldn’t be their fault if that spoiled girl got sick, yet he held it in. Although he was really sleepy, he walked together the long way to Agassi’s bedroom, wearing his pyjama.

“I’m sorry for waking you up” Miss Yoona said apologetically. “She really refused to eat, no matter what I said.”

The little Agassi was already in her pyjama and was holding her bunny doll, sulking on her sofa.

“Were you sleeping already?” the little Agassi asked Sungjae.

“Ne. I had to wake up because of Agassi.”

“That’s why you should’ve accompanied me for dinner when I asked you to.”

Sungjae wanted to argue her. He held it in, though.

Little Sooyoung got up from the sofa and sat behind the little round, glass table that she used for her meals when she had to eat alone.

She only sat there and looked expectantly at Sungjae.

Sungjae looked at his mom, who in turn pushed him gently to Sooyoung’s direction.

He finally walked to the table and sat in front of Sooyoung.

“Your meal is already cold.”

“It’s ok. It still tastes good” she said, beaming, offering him her chocolate pudding.

“I’m not hungry.”

“How can I let you eat nothing, Oppa?”

What a strange child, Sungjae thought that night. As far as he could remember, when he ate at home, his meals were always warm and his mother always sat with him.

This child lived in what looked like a palace but she ate with him. And there was only Miss Yoona. Where were her parents, he wondered........

Sooyoung polished her dinner clean that night, and said that she’d like to eat with Sungjae everyday. He cringed at that, yet he was thankful she ate, so she wouldn’t get sick.

********************************************************

Ever since that day, Sooyoung started to go the kitchen to have her lunch and dinner with Sungjae. She found that the kitchen was merry, with the servants always talking to each other like they were family, throwing jokes and telling about how they spent their day.

She learnt the names of all the servants in the house in a few days.

Beside her meals, she then began bringing her books and studied in the kitchen as well, making all her homework there. It’s Sungjae’s habit to study there as well, and that was how they grew up.

One evening, Mr. Park Jung Soo arrived home early from work, and he wanted to see Sooyoung. He was shocked to hear that Yoona said she was studying in the kitchen.

It wasn’t her habit, so Mr. Park quietly went to the spacious kitchen. With his own eyes, he saw his daughter seriously studying, with a boy that looked her age beside her, also studying. Beside them, Sungjae’s mother was peeling vegetables for tomorrow’s breakfast.

For a second, Mr. Park’s throat felt thicker, before he swallowed with difficulty. He was thankful the governess, Yoona, stood behind him, or he would see the almighty CEO Park with wet eyes.

He knew what drawn Sooyoung to be there. It’s the warmth of a family.

He saw the head chef put newly baked cookies and a glass of milk for his daughter and the boy beside her.

Mr. Park married his wife, the ever elegant and selfish Jung Sooyeon through an arranged marriage. They tried to have a good marriage, but realized that there was no affection between them, so after Sooyoung was born, Mrs. Park lived on the East wing of the house. He and his wife led completely different lives, together only for the sake of appearances.

The only thing Mr. Park was grateful of from his marriage was because he had his daughter. He made time to have breakfast with her everyday. Sooyoung’s mother, on the other hand, made time to see her only once a week, and it was usually to reprimand her to achieve more in school.

Yoona never found the CEO to be this quiet, and she prepared herself to face the wrath that undoubtedly would come.

“Who’s the little boy beside Sooyoungie?”

Surprised, Yoona quickly answered, “That would be Yook Sungjae, Hwejangnim. The son of the cook over there.”

“I see.”

“Make sure she doesn’t sleep late” CEO Park said, before he turned around and left.

******************************************************

When Sooyoung’s report card arrived for that semester, Mr. Park was pleasantly surprised that her Science scores had raised. Sooyoung hated Science and Math. Could it be because of her new friend?

He continued to keep a close watch on Yook Sungjae, sending his secretary to report about his character. He heard that Sungjae was extremely smart, although a bit cold. He was a complete introvert, but kind and polite.

Two years later, in Sungjae’s last year in elementary school, Mr. Park asked to talk to Sungjae’s mother.

“Mrs. Yook, I am thankful that Sungjae is willing to accompany my lonely daughter for the past two years. Therefore, I’ve decided to let him enter Uahan Junior High School.”

Mrs. Yook was aghast. Uahan Junior High was an extremely luxurious school owned by the Park family.

“B—but Hwejangnim, I wouldn’t be able to pay for it.”

“His school fee will be taken care of. I’m doing this so when my daughter enters Junior High next year, she’ll be motivated to study well, since her good friend would be in the same school with her.”

Mrs. Yook was speechless. She was grateful, though. Everyone knew Uahan Junior High had the best teachers and facilities.

“I am grateful then, Hwejangnim.”

***********************************************************

Another occasion happened, when Mrs. Park first realized that her only daughter was best friends with the cook’s son.

Mrs. Park had her own secretary, and her own bodyguards, who she sent to spy on her husband’s moves. Yes, she spied on her own husband, as how her husband did the same to her. They were two people in a broken marriage, who stayed with each other for appearance’s sake, and was forever afraid that they would get hurt. So before that happened, they made sure they knew each other’s moves.

Mr. Park had a long list of charities, but it was the first time he ever decided a servant’s son should enter Uahan Junior High. Why was her husband so interested with this boy?

Then Mrs. Park found out that the reason was because the boy was the good friend of her daughter.

Mrs. Park was as rich as her husband, and was brought up to always believe everyone was after her money and had ulterior motives.

One day, Mrs. Park got the report that Sooyoung missed her French lesson.

She was never there when Sooyoung did well. But she was always there when Sooyoung did something wrong.

She hurried home and heard that Sooyoung spent the early evening watching a movie in the cinema at home – yes, her father built her her own cinema at home, complete with a popcorn machine and a snack bar outside.

When Mrs. Park arrived, she saw her daughter was eating corn dog with milkshake, laughing with that boy.

At that time, Sooyoung was thirteen, and Sungjae was fourteen.

“So this is where you’re lazing around instead of having your French lesson?”

Sooyoung was so shocked she went pale in a second.

“I won’t have a daughter who can’t speak French fluently. Change your dress and go to the language institute. Now!”

“But, O-Omma, it’s way past the time......”

“Your teacher is waiting for you there. I pay her so much, so she’ll listen to me. This is the last time you’ll ever miss a lesson, Park Sooyoung, do you hear me? That’s why, you shouldn’t mingle with people who are beneath you. That boy brings bad influence to you.”

“OMMA!!! Oppa is my friend! Don’t speak like that to him!”

“He must have made you skip your lesson!”

“No, he didn’t! You know what, Omma? I had my first monthly period today and it hurts so much! That’s why I can’t study more today, and asked Oppa to accompany me to watch a movie! Can’t I rest when I’m unwell?”

Mrs. Park was surprised. “Then you should’ve told me that.”

“How can I? You’re never here!!!”

With that, Sooyoung ran to her bedroom.

And then, Mrs. Park turned to Sungjae.

Sungjae was too shocked to even say anything.

He had heard a lot about Mrs. Park, but it was the first time he saw her that close. But more than that, he was shocked to see how a mother could treat her daughter that way.

“And you, young man, if you’re dreaming of my daughter’s money, you can go to hell. She will marry someone with the same background with her.”

He was so angry to Sooyoung’s mother. Not because of the way she treated him, but of the way she treated her daughter.

“What kind of background is that, Samonim? Loneliness and heartless mothers?”

He knew he went too far, but he couldn’t help himself. He knew the slap that came later was something he deserved.

There were Miss Yoona, Mrs. Park’s secretary, and two waiters who worked at the home cinema. All were stunned to see Sungjae being slapped that way by Mrs. Park. Sungjae was someone they saw growing up since he was ten. He was everybody’s nephew in that house.

“I’ll make sure you pay for this!!!” Mrs. Park screamed, before leaving, followed by her secretary.

Once she was out of sight, everyone came to Sungjae.

“Aigoo uri Sungjae-yah, aigoo.....you should have never spoken like that to Samonim!”

Another servant gave him some ice wrapped in a napkin, and Sungjae asked them to not tell her mother about it, as he put the ice on his stinging cheek.

***************************************************

The next day, Sungjae was called by the Headmaster, and was told that he regretted it very much, but Sungjae must leave that school, because that was the order or Mrs. Park.

His mother was astonished to see her home that early.

Being expelled from school was not something you could hide from your mother, so Sungjae told her everything. The news made his mother nearly hysterical.

There were a lot of things women could do. But there were more things a loving mother could do for her only son.

That day, Mrs. Yook dressed up and marched to Park Building, the centre of Park Corporations, where CEO Park worked. She was passed being afraid. Mr. Park’s secretary wanted to dismiss her immediately when she said she’s a cook that worked at his house. But when she said it was a matter of life and death for her son, the secretary notified the CEO.

Mr. Park was confused as to why his cook would want to see him. Other people from his wealth would be furious and tell her to leave and not disturb him, but he had a heart. It must be something serious, and Mr. Park figured he could spare a few minutes to hear her out.

Mr. Park was stunned to see Mrs. Yook, moreover, when she went on her knees without any prior explanation.

“Hwejangnim, my son offended Samonim, and now he’s expelled from Uahan Junior High. This is the middle of school year, it will be hard to find a school for him. He’s doing so well, too. He’s the first rank in his year. Please, Hwejangnim. You can do anything, including cutting my paycheck, but please let my son stay in his school!”

This news was really hard to understand. Why would Sooyeon bother with a servant’s son fate?

“I’ll look through this matter. Don’t worry and just go back.”

Mrs. Yook bowed low then left the office, wiping her tears and saying she was grateful over and over again.

Frowning, he then called his wife’s secretary and asked what happened.

Sighing heavily, he then called the Headmaster of Uahan Junior High and ordered him to cancel expelling Sungjae, with further instructions to never expel him ever again.

Next, he texted his wife: Don’t ruin a young man’s life just because he slapped you with the truth.

That made Sooyeon called her husband—something really rare to happen.

“What the hell did you mean, Oppa? I’ve expelled him from Uahan!”

“And I’ve cancelled that. He’s a good kid, Sooyeon-ah.”

“He’s a bad influence for Sooyoung!”

“If you know our daughter enough, you’ll see that Sooyoung can never be influenced with something she didn’t want to.”

“He was disrespectful to me!!!”

“I heard what he said to you from your secretary. And he’s right, don’t you think, Jung Sooyeon? Our daughter has always been lonely, and you’re a heartless mother.”

“YAH, OPPA!!!”

Mr. Park put his phone away from his ear, “Don’t ruin Yook Sungjae’s life, Sooyeon-ah. He’s there for our daughter when we weren’t.”

“If you’re not careful, your daughter might marry a servant’s son!”

“They’re just friends. You don’t have to get paranoid.”

“AH, MWOLLA! YOU’RE SO ANNOYING AS ALWAYS!”

With that, Mrs. Park hung up.

Mr. Park just took a deep breath and resumed his work.

*****************************************************

Sungjae was helping the gardener cleaning one side of the mansion’s central garden from dead leaves when Sooyoung came running and crying, rushing into him in a rush of “Mianhe” and hugging him tight.

“I’m so sorry for what my mother did to you! I’m sorry she slapped you and made you got expelled. I’ll talk to Appa and make him cancel it.”

“It’s alright. Your father did it already.”

Sooyoung pulled away.

“He did?”

“Ne. I can go to school as usual tomorrow.”

“Omo! Thank God!”

“Ne, Agassi. Everything is alright. Go shower and have your dinner.”

“But are you alright? Did it hurt?” she asked, reaching for his cheeks and trying to see any marks on it. There were none.

“I’m fine, Agassi. Really. But......I think your mother is right.”

“What? What do you mean?”

“You need to stop being so close to me. After all, I’m your servant.”

“You’re not my servant, you’re my Oppa.”

“Agassi, I believe it’s in your best interest to stop spending time with me.”

“Why?”

“Because you will only make your mother angry.”

“She’s always angry at me no matter what I do.”

“Still, it will be better if you keep distance with me.”

“Shiro!”

“Agassi, please—“

“No! I’m not going to leave you! And you’ll never be able to get rid of me!”

“Agassi, you have other friends......”

“Yes, but you’re more important, Oppa! I love you!”

Sungjae blinked at that.

“No, you don’t.”

“I do!!!”

“Agassi, you’re thirteen, you can’t possibly love me.”

“Sungjae Oppa, you’re fourteen, how do you know I don’t seriously love you?”

“I know you don’t, because you can’t.”

“That’s the silliest logic I’ve ever heard in my entire life!!!”

Sungjae stared at his Agassi for a few seconds before he decided to be tough for her, and made her see the truth.

“Agassi. It’s impossible that you don’t know. You’re attached to me just because I live near you. But you must know now, before you really get it in your head to insist on this. Agassi, I’m your servant and my mother is your family’s cook. You’re someone who will inherit everything Park family has one day. It’s impossible for you and I to be together. You’ll be arranged to marry someone your level one day.”

Sooyoung had to tell herself to breathe, hearing all of that was hard.

She was Park Sooyoung, and although she was only thirteen, she honestly knew that her partner was going to be just another arrangement to improve her family’s business.

She knew it would be really difficult, but what she wanted, she’d get it.

“I know all of that. And I’ll do what my parents want, but I want to be happy as well. And I’m only happy when I’m with Appa and you.”

“Agassi, please understand. You and I are impossible.”

“Wah, Oppa. That hurts more than what my mother could say to me” she said, her tears fell. “I just know one thing. You’ll never get rid of me.”

She then left him there, staring at the way she retreated for a long time.

******************************************************

Back to present day...........

Sungjae was called by the homeroom teacher during lunch break.

“Here, there’s a letter for you. All the teachers here are curious to the content. Please open it and tell us the content.”

Sungjae read the head of the envelope. It was a letter from the Medicine Faculty of Seoul National University.

“It would be embarrassing to read it here if I don’t get accepted” Sungjae replied.

“Eyyy.....we’re all optimistic here. Open it, we’re all dying to know the result.”

Sungjae finally opened the envelope and read the content.

He smiled from ear to ear after reading it.

“Oh? It’s the first time I’ve seen you smiled like that! You got in, right?”

“Ne” he simply answered.

It was the teachers who exploded into whoops and cheers. They all knew Sungjae was a servant who worked in Park family’s mansion. But no one could deny that he’s the most brilliant student in his year and he worked really hard. He deserved it after studying so diligently all these years.

“Congratulations, Sungjae-yah. Your parents must be really proud of you!” his homeroom teacher stated warmly.

***************************************************

The whole high school was buzzing with the news that the school’s Student Council President was accepted by SNU’s Medicine Faculty. His bag was patted by his friends and many girls told him “Chukkae!”

However, Sooyoung was strangely quiet. Was she still angry of what happened that morning? But she was the one who kissed him all of a sudden!

Deciding to let her be for the moment, Sungjae focused back on his lessons that afternoon until school was over. He had extra lessons as a twelve grader after dinner until 9 PM.

Everyone he saw at school that day already congratulated him for getting accepted into the country’s most prestigious university, but one loud girl was strangely quiet.

He knew as an eleventh grader, she finished school at 7 PM and continued directly with her ballet lesson. It was impossible that she hadn’t heard, though.

The huge cardboard boxes full with chocolates, flowers and love letters for him—It was still Valentine’s day—had been carried home by Sooyoung’s driver.

Sungjae usually went home with bus, while she went home with her car and driver.

At home, Sungjae gave his mother the letter from SNU at the servant’s kitchen. His mother laughed and cried at the same time. He still had to apply for scholarship, though. But he allowed himself to not think about it first.

All the ahjussis and ahjummas, also the younger servants who felt like his brothers and sisters all hugged and congratulated him. They then celebrated it with eating fried chicken and soju—cola for Sungjae.

And still, at 11 PM, Park Agassi hadn’t even texted him a “Chukkae.”

Annoyed, he showered and arranged his books and notes for the next day, and ironed his uniform. He had a strange notion to hurt the iron to the window, but didn’t really do it.

At midnight, he finally gave up and texted her:

“Agassi, is it so hard to just say that one word?”

Sooyoung: Which one word?

Sungjae: Chukkae.

Sooyoung: I’ll never say it.

This time, Sungjae nearly threw his phone into the window of his bedroom.

Without thinking, his feet already led her to the direction of her room.

He found her sitting on top of the grand marble staircase leading to her room, as if she knew he’d be there, all angry and annoyed with her.

She had an English novel on her lap, but he was sure she wasn’t really reading it.

“You’ll never say it?”

“Ne. Wae, Oppa, you got a problem with it?”

“You’re really something, Agassi.”

“Wae? The whole school is happy for you. Don’t be greedy.”

The last word stung, and he felt like yelling at her.

She knew how much he wanted SNU. Despite everything, they had always been close, and now that he’s happy she wouldn’t—

“I’m greedy? Then you’re stingy, Agassi.”

Sooyoung stood up, “You’ve always pushed me away, and now you suddenly want me to congratulate you.”

Sungjae frowned, “I’ve always congratulated you on each of your achievements, Agassi. Is it so hard to congratulate me just this once?”

“Wae, do you need to hear me say it so badly?” she challenged.

Sungjae was surprised at that. Right, why was he so riled up just because she had been ignoring him?

“Don’t you get it? You getting into SNU is not a happy occasion for me.”

“Mwo? Why not?”

“You’ll be leaving Uahan and go to SNU. You’ll be busier, and I won’t see you as often as I used to.”

“Agassi, don’t be ridiculous. Just because I’ll be in SNU doesn’t mean that I—“

“I hate it so much when you say I’m ridiculous, Oppa. And you still can’t get it. I’ve told you, your words can hurt me more than my mothers.”

“Agassi—“

“It hurts, right, when I ignore you? Is it painful, when everyone else recognizes your achievement, but I don’t? And still, you wouldn’t admit that you like me too.”

“You’re going to SNU, leaving me and this house, and yet you want me to congratulate you? Well, I’m sorry, Oppa. I’m not happy for this.”

She turned to return to her room but he asked, “What do you really want me to do?”

She turned to him again.

“Do you want me to pretend we could be together? That your parents won’t arrange you to marry someone else? Someone as rich as you? Or do you want us to just date until you have to be with somebody else? If we can’t always be together, why should we start anything, Agassi? Don’t you understand it will only hurt us more in the end?”

“I want to be with you, Oppa. Why can’t you accept that?”

“Because we’re different, Agassi.”

“And yet here you are, so angry because I ignore what you’ve achieved today. Can’t you see? You like me, too, Oppa. Why don’t you want to be happy?”

“I want to be happy, too, but I’m trying to do what’s best for you.”

“Why do you decide it’s best for me to not be with you?”

“Can you imagine what your mother would do if we’re together?”

“What makes you think I won’t leave everything to be with you?”

“....................No, you won’t.”

“Yes, I will, if I have to.”

“You won’t. You love your parents too much. You wouldn’t want to disappoint them. You’ve been trying to not do that your whole life. You won’t change that just for me. And I don’t want you to do that for me.”

“Then what do you want, Oppa? Do you want me to marry someone else?”

“It’s what you’ll have to do eventually.”

“And you’re alright with that?”

“It’s not like there’s anything I can do to stop that. Your parents own a big part of this country.”

“You don’t want to fight for me?”

“What can I do? Elope with you? Do you think your mother would let us do that?”

“Shall I fight for you, then?” she asked.

Sungjae’s breath was caught in his throat.

Usually, Sungjae would sternly tell her to stop thinking about that, and he’d leave. But that night, he stayed rooted on his spot.

Sooyoung followed her instincts and stepped down the staircase until she was one step above him.

“Shall I fight for you, Oppa?”

Sungjae couldn’t answer that. His brain told him to leave, that very second, before anything else happened.

His hands betrayed him though. In a split second, he was reaching for her cheeks and kissing her.

Sooyoung was caught entirely off guard.

They had kissed before, but it was always her pecking his lips when he wasn’t unaware. He had never initiated it. For all she knew, he had been denying that it could happen until even a few seconds before this kiss.

It was truly happening, though.

Yook Sungjae was holding her cheeks, and pecking her lips gently, over and over again.

When he pulled away, her knees gave out, and she fell, but he caught her first, and pulled her to the railings.

She’s shaking between his arms and he was breathing hard in front of her.

“You kiss me before. When I do it, why are you almost passed out?”

“............did it just happen?”

“Yes.”

“What does that mean?” Sooyoung asked, in a tone she usually used when they were watching a horror movie in her home cinema, and she was asking had the ghost come out or not.

“It means.............I’ll listen to you.”

“You’ll li—listen to me?”

“Agassi, if you say there’s one percent chance that we could always be together, from now on, I’ll do whatever you say.”

“Je—jeongmal?”

“Jeongmal.”

“Chukkae. For entering SNU. Sorry for not saying it sooner.”

He smiled at that.

“Don’t smile at me like that. I lost all my strength already.”

He chuckled at that.

“Come on, let’s get you back to your room.”

“I can’t feel my legs.”

“Yes, you can.”

“I can’t!!!”

“Hold my hand and the railings, then.”

She ascended the stairs slowly, holding the railings and his hand.

When they reached the top, he laughed at her, “Aigoo, uri almight Park Agassi. Why are you like this?”

“Shut up, Oppa. This is all your fault.”

He then hauled her into his arms, as she shrieked.

“You wouldn’t want all the guards to ambush us doing something this suspicious, really” he warned. So she stayed quiet, and he carried her to her bed, then tugging her under her duvet.

Before he left, she caught his hoodie.

“Does this mean we’re together now?”

Sungjae looked down at her. Lying on her pillow like that with her hair around her, she looked much like the nine year old he first met years ago.

“I should’ve said no, but I don’t want to. Not anymore. So yes, Agassi. We’re together.”

She smiled brightly at her and she couldn’t resist giving her a forehead kiss.

“Good night. Sweet dreams.”

“Good night, Oppa. Dream of me.”

Sungjae chuckled at that, before closing her bedroom door and returned to his room.

******************************************************

Author’s Note:

A long update after a week.

Some backgrounds of their past and a huge progress.

Hope you like them here as well.

Personal life-wise, I have a baby nephew now!

My sister in-law had to fight for around 24 hours to deliver him. He’s 3.6 kg baby boy and was born through normal delivery and not a C-section. Too bad they live in Belitung, and we live in Sidoarjo, and I have to be patient until early November to see my baby nephew. Regardless, the family is ecstatic!

With that happy news, see you on my next update!