Valentine's Day

Mr. Rational and Miss Dreamer

It was Valentine’s Day and Sungjae had his hands full with chocolates, given to him by his admirers in school. Every year, he always made sure he wouldn’t give them hope by being cold to them. He never said “thank you”, and he definitely never opened the love letters given to him. He wished it would discourage those girls. But no, he always got a flood of chocolates and love letters on Valentine’s Day.

He reached his locker room with difficulty. On the floor in front of the locker, there were piles of chocolates, with love letters and roses slipped into every inches of his locker door. He hated mess so much, yet he had no choice but to open it, since he had to get his books and notes.

The love letters fell to the floor, making him sighed, as the girls from his year and his juniors crowded around him, asking him to read their texts and letters, or even openly asking him to on a date with either of them.

He knew what was waiting at his desk: more love letters and chocolates, making him felt already exhausted despite the fact that the first class hadn’t even started.

He looked around for his friends. They were nowhere to be seen, probably knowing the chaos that would happen. Besides, his friends had their own admirers, so maybe they were busy showing off their charms somewhere.

The girls were getting closer, their noises of “Oppa, go watch a movie with me once?” and their perfumes suffocated him. When he was started to scream inside for help, someone suddenly said, “Oh, Park Sooyoung and her girls are here.”

They all went to Uahan High School, a part of the prestigious Uahan Institution, a private school for the richest of the richest in South Korea.

Park Sooyoung’s family owned the institution, and a lot of other things in the country, and that’s why she was always the center of attention whenever she went in the school. Everything she wore with her uniform would be a hot topic. Whatever she did with her four equally rich friends would be discussed. Boys wanted to date her and girls wanted to be her.

Sungjae used the chance to escape to his classroom, as his admirers would forget briefly about him.

He was the exact opposite of Park Sooyoung.

He was there thanks to a full scholarship. Had been on scholarship ever since he was in junior high, and he was no heir of a corporation. His mother worked as a cook in a rich family’s house, and Sungjae was fine with that.

He was in the third grade, and was busy getting ready for university. He had applied for Seoul National University’s medical school, of course, hoping his stellar scores would be good enough for the prestigious university.

The last thing he wanted to think about was how to ward off annoying admirers.

His first class that day was Biology. He was peacefully writing notes when his phone vibrated.

Noisy Girl: Oppa, come to the rooftop. I want to give you your Valentine’s present.

Sungjae: Go back to your class. Mine is Biology, don’t disturb me.

Noisy Girl: Come here in 5 minutes or I’ll jump off the roof.

What. A. Drama. Queen.

Still, he got up and told his teacher that he had to take an urgent phone call, since his mom was sick.

His reputation as the school’s best student and Student Council President made the teacher let him went out to take the call without a second of doubt.

Praying that his mother would not take any brunt whatsoever from his lie, Sungjae walked to the rooftop.

The one and only Park Sooyoung was waiting for her at the empty school’s rooftop, holding two small shopping bags and a bouquet of roses.

“I told you, you should stop doing this.”

“As if you can stop me doing anything” the heiress grinned, walking up to him and handing him the shopping bags and flower bouquet.

Sungjae just stared at her gifts without doing anything.

“Aish. Forever so difficult!!!”

She then opened one bag and showed a box full of chocolates in heart shapes.

“Try one, Oppa. I made them myself.”

“It’s you or my mom who made them?”

“I made them! Imo only watched and made sure I won’t create a mess. Try one!”

He still didn’t move, so she took one piece of chocolate and put it on his lips.

He relented and ate it.

“How was it? Does it taste like chocolate?”

“.........ne. It is chocolate, not mud, like last year.”

“Yah, I made it for the first time last year! It’s normal to fail the first time!”

Sungjae only raised his eyebrows.

“And this is Oppa’s Valentine gift!” she said excitedly, taking out a velvet box from another shopping bag. He saw the label on the bag and box. It was Cartier.

She bought him a solid white gold watch, showing him the engraved inscription:

Sungjae – Sooyoung = Forever

He stared at the inscription and her hand, waiting for him to take it.

“Agassi, we talked about this” he warned.

“You talked about it. Doesn’t mean I’ll do what you want.”

“Agassi, what should I do to make you see reality? I’m a servant working at your house.”

He emphasised the word servant, and he could see her eyes turning hard and angry.

When Sungjae made Sooyoung angry, she always did crazy things.

Like that moment, pulling at his uniform’s tie and kissing him on the mouth.

“AGASSI!!!”

“You’re the one who refused to see the reality, Oppa. I love you. I’ve loved you for years, and I’ll marry you no matter what!!!”

Sungjae laughed bitterly at that.

“You’re already in second grade of high school, Agassi. You need to stop believing in those silly fairy tale books.”

“I’ll be your wife one day, Oppa. Mark my words!”

With that, she ran away and left the rooftop.

Sungjae stared at the gifts and bouquet, before he threw his eyes to the blue sky above him. He then took a deep breath, before walking out of the rooftop himself.

He saw that the school’s cleaning service had brought cardboard boxes and put Sungjae’s Valentine chocolates, love letters and flowers on them, to make the hallway still tidy.

Sungjae put the flowers Sooyoung gave in the box as well, along with the gifts.

He then turned and made his way back to class.

Still, a few minutes later, he returned to the box, retrieved her gifts and bouquet, and put the roses in his locker, after taking the card. He also put the Cartier box and chocolates inside. The only gifts he treated that way.

*******************************************************

Author’s Note:

New storyyyyy!!!

I’ll try to make this story a sweet one, although you know me, there will be angst as well.

I guess I was trying to find a nice wattpad story to read, but all the most popular ones have bad boys in them (I guess they all become good guys eventually, but the first chapter is always hard to read), or CEOs with helpless poor girls, or something between those lines.

No offense, but I’m so fed up with those. I guess it’s because those who write in wattpad are often still really young, and they fantasize about living in a story with rich, y alpha males and helpless girls who let themselves be kissed and d in the first or second meeting due to oh so magnetic charms and chemistry?

I’m sorry. The only wattpad story I finished was The Quirky Tale of April Hale. All the writers in wattpad have worked hard to create their stories and I respect them for it, but I can’t find the kind of stories I like. Or is it me who is just difficult?

With this, if you know any completed stories in wattpad with a good plot where the guy is not an alpha guy and the girl has something to be respected in herself, please tell me. I’d love to read them.

Meanwhile, since I can’t find a story that I like, I write it myself TT______TT

Hope you like this one. See you on the next update.