The Dinner

One Last Chance
Harin walked back into the apartment and dropped her bag at the front door and stormed into the main part of her home only to be shocked by seeing her parents standing in the kitchen, sipping on some tea. They were both sharply dressed with her fathers hair slicked back and in a new black suit with a deep red tie, her mother was in a matching red dress with gold pieces of jewelry that looked as if they were freshly polished.
 
"Welcome home." Her father said and Harin instantly bowed to them and formally welcomed them back from work. It was rare to have both of her parents home at the same time, usually one of them was running out to work but seeing them together was making Harin nervous. They were a classically handsome power couple that didn't stop moving up in their careers even when they had a child. She had never been overly affectionate with her parents which was enforced by them daily.
 
"Go wash up, there is a new dress on your bed. Wear it tonight." Her mother said and Harin walked off to the bathroom and began cleaning herself up. Whenever she was around her parents it was as if she could feel her mind shutting off and going into robot mode. When ever they barked orders at her she just shut and did as she was told. As a reward she was never given a compliment or a huge, instead she was given the latest phone or a credit card with an unknown limit that was tucked away deep in her desk because she refused to use it. If she used it, then it would be like admitting that she was okay with how her parents treat her so instead she buried it away like her rest of her feelings.
 
When she got into her bedroom she changed into the dress that was sitting there waiting for her. She looked at herself in the mirror and didn't recognize the person staring back at her. Her hair was in soft curls that framed her face which was painted with makeup that showed off her large eyes and soft lips. The dress with a pale pink and was cinched at the waist. The shoes were black and painfully dug into the back of her heels but she tried to ignore it as she walked into the living room. There her parents were putting their coats on and looked her over.
 
"Thank you for the new clothes." She bowed formally again and her mother looked her up and down. Harin felt like a young child next to her mother with her beautiful red dress and dark lipstick where as she was in pastels and put light makeup on.
 
"It will do." Her mother claimed before walking out the front door with Harin scrambling after them. The three of them sat in a car that had been ordered by her father and it was driving them to the restaurant.
 
"We're going to be meeting some friends at the restaurant and there will be some business talk, so I expect you to be on your best behaviour." Her father glared at her daughter who nodded in response and he went back to answering some emails on his phone. Harin dug her nails into the palms of her hands as she felt the desire to run growing within her. Every time the car stopped at a red light she thought about bolt out of the car and running until she collapsed. Being this close to her parents made her uncomfortable. Once they finally reached the restaurant they were brought to their own private room which had a large table. Harins parents sat down and forced her to sit in between them. The waiter asked if they wanted anything to drink while they waited and her parents ordered wine and before she could say anything, her mother ordered water for her.
 
"You don't want to spill anything on yourself." Her mother commented when she could sense that Harin was unhappy with the fact that she couldn't even order her own drink. After ten minutes of waiting, the door to the private room opened which made Harin and her parents stand up and bow to the man and woman who entered. They were a little older than Harin's parents but were equally well dressed. After the couple walked in, Sehun entered in a navy suit and his hair was styled even better than at school that day. He froze when he saw Harin and a smile spread across his face.
 
"Nice to see you again Harin." He said before sitting down with his parents in the same manner that she was. They all sat down and Harin's mother looked from Sehun to her.
 
"It seems as if you know my daughter. I hope she didn't embarrass herself at any time." It was a backhanded insult and Harin didn't miss it and neither did Sehun who smirked and shook his head.
 
"Quiet the opposite actually, she showed me around my new school. I found her charming." Sheun said and Harin felt her cheeks burn brightly from the complement. Her mother hummed in responseas if she didn't like that fact that her daughter was so openly complimented by someone.
 
"That makes all of this much easier." Sehun's father happily cheered and he clapped his hands together. The stark difference in their families was almost hilarious. Harins parents were cold and dressed in dark colours where as Sehun's parents were smiling and laughing with bright pops of yellow and orange in their clothing choices. The waiter came back and Sehuns father ordered the most expensive things on the menu to be shared by everyone at the table. Harin nervously looked to Sehun who looked equally confused as to why they were all gathering for dinner.
 
"We are all gathered here tonight to confirm your engagement." Harin's father said and the two teenagers stared at him with a blank expression. "From my understanding, Sehun turned seventeen in April and my daughters birthday is in October." Her father announced.
 
"November." His wife corrected and he awkwardly laughed before excusing the mistake. After that, the two will be wed and our companies will be merged in the new year." Sehun's father reached across the table with his drink and cheered Harin's father.
 
"Wait, father this doesn't make any sense. We hardly know each other. Why can't you just merge the companies without us getting married?" Sehun stood up and his father stood up to match him.
 
"Because when we pass on our companies we want to be sure that they are being left to our children, what better way than to marry them. That way there is no legal process in transferring everything later on." His father snapped back and Sehun slammed his fist on the table which shook the glasses. Harin still couldn't process the news and stared at the table. The numbness started at the tip of her toes and moved all the way up her body until she couldn't feel herself anymore and the voices drowned out in the background. She knew her parents were heartless but were they that cold to basically sell her daughter off for security in her fathers future? She was only shaken from her thoughts when she heard someone call out her name and she looked up to see everyone but Sehun staring at her.
 
"You agree to this, right?" Harin's mother was speaking to her and when she didn't answer fast enough she reached under the table and pinched her thigh. She winced in pain and quickly stood up.
 
"Excuse me." Harin pushed out her chair and walked out of the room just as the servers were coming with the food. She pushed her way passed them and in a daze she made her way outside onto the bustling street. Everything was moving too quickly that she felt sick. A man bumped into her and Harin fell onto the ground.
 
"Watch were you're going, punk." The old drunk man cursed at her as he stumbled away and Harin sat on the ground for a moment. A pair of strong arms reached down and pulled up onto her feet. Standing there was Sehun with a scowl on his face.
 
"I didn't know.....I'm sorry." He hung his head and shoved his hands into his pant pockets but Harin just shook her head.
 
"No..it's fine. I didn't know either." She looked back at the restaurant and wondered if their parents were happily eating without them, talking about how great their kids futures were going to be.
 
"Want to get out of here? I don't think I can face them again." Sehun pointed off down the street and Harin happily agreed and they walked off together, both very quiet as neither of them knew what to say to try and make the awkwardness go away. Harin hissed in pain after walking for a few minutes and she looked at her heel and could see that the skin had been ripped because of the shoes.
 
"Are you okay? Want to get new shoes?" Sehun pointed towards the dollar store nearby and Harin told him that she didn't have any money but as if she didn't hear, he walked into the store and she ended up limping after him. He grabbed a pair of green flip flops, spiderman bandaids and two Popsicle then he dropped them on the counter and pulled out a black credit card, one that looked exactly like the one her parents had gotten her. They made their way back outside and sat on a bench where Sehun pulled out the Popsicle. "Melon or banana?" He offered and Harin grabbed the banana one. He opened it for her before kneeling on the ground and grabbing her feet.
 
"What are you doing? Weirdo." She pulled them away but he easily grabbed her feet again and pulled her shoes off.
 
"Tell me one normal thing that's happened tonight?" Sehun joked before carefully putting the bandaids on and then slipping the flip flops on. "So...how do you feel about it?" Sehun sat beside her and started chomping on his own Popsicle. Harin thought about it for a moment and shrugged her shoulders.
 
"I never thought something like this would happen." Harin said and Sehun nodded his head in agreement.
 
"Do you think you would be okay with marrying me?" Sehun said and Harin couldn't answer again. The thought of marrying someone she didn't really know made her panic but she had always hoped that her future husband would be as handsome and caring as Sehun, so why was she hesitating so much?
 
"I don't know...I have to think about it." Harin's honest response put a smile on Sehun's face and he jumped up to his feet.
 
"Come on, I'm starving. Do you want some burgers?" He pointed to the McDonalds down the street and Harin held up the half eaten dessert. "Come on, let's continue the weird night we're having." Sehun grabbed her hand and dragged her behind him towards the burgers. Although the night had started as a disaster, ending it like this with Sehun was a blessing in disguise.