Chapter I

Tears in Heaven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“In three weeks’ time I will be free” She said while doing some stretching before going to the operating room for a scheduled surgery. She will be staying there for a long hours to make sure that her patient would have a long life ahead. She will be doing an open-heart surgery.

 

Ahn Yujin, a heart surgeon in a top caliber hospital in South Korea. She is actually the youngest in the country and a really recommended doctor by all of her patients, colleagues, friends and family. Good doctor indeed.

 

She’s been working so hard for the past four years and haven’t gone into a well deserve rest. Her friends would invite her to hangout but even if she really wants to, she refuses. Yujin is really focused on her work, a truly devoted one that’s why her patients really adore her a lot.

 

Her current patient that she will be operating is so kind and concern about her. She would ask the young doctor if she has eaten and all stuff that she could ask about Yujin. She even suggested her to finally have a vacation because she really deserves it. So a year ago, she already planned a leave for her to have a two months’ vacation right after the open-heart surgery, that’s her last one.

 

 

After having a talk with her patients’ parents, Yujin just went directly to their hospital dorm and throw herself at her bed.

 

“Finally, she will be able to have a good start”

 

She is always like that, her patient first before her. She never fails to check on them right after an operation. She won’t leave the hospital not until she saw them waking up with a smile on their faces. But for now, before she heads on for her vacation, she will stay at the hospital to wait for her last patient to wake up.

 

Yena, a colleague knocks on the door.

 

“Ya Yujin-ah. Do you want to have a coffee?”

 

Her eyes are still close while nodding to her friends offer.

 

“You’re so dead tired but why are you still looking so fresh?”

 

Yena asks Yujin while staring at her with disbelief

 

Yujin chuckles as she’s fighting her will to open her shutting eyes while taking a sip on her coffee.

 

“So you will be taking your leave huh? When and where though? You haven’t told us about that because you are to focus to be a young, beautiful doctor in town.”

 

“I’m not. You’re so exaggerated Dr. Choi”

 

“You’re so used to it Dr. Big foot”

 

She took a three straight sip on her coffee before she leans her back “Well as usual, I’ll be waiting for my patient first to wake up and check on her for a week then I’m good to go” she pauses “… 20 days from now” she ended

 

“20 days? Hmm so you will still have some time to hang out with us? Yes or nah?”

 

Yena anticipating for her friend’s response, she wanted to hang out with her for so long now but Yujin always misses out. Her fingers crossed.

 

“Yes of course! Just message me days before okay?”

 

 

Two weeks before her said flight to Los Angeles California, she was able to keep her promise to Yena that she will hang out with them. Their group is complete and everyone is so happy because Ahn Yujin is present and they make it so memorable.

 

They’ve been chit chatting with each and every one, reminiscing the old days, asking about works and all. Their table is stuffed with foods and soju like the usual. Yujin didn’t waste her time eating the foods they ordered “Ah! Daebak!” she said while having a bite with each menu’s on their table

 

“Dr. Ahn, be careful you might choke” Chaewon a colleague warns her

 

“Don’t bother her Chaewon-ah, she hasn’t eaten these kind of foods for so long now. Her stomach only contains ramen and coffee” yena uttered

 

Yujin stops for a while and looks at her friends whose overwhelmed watching her enjoys eating

 

“I-I’m so sorry…” she said and goes back to her food

 

They all laugh at the younger doctor. They’re so amuse with her, and couldn’t hide how they admire her in all of her aspects in life. Despite her busy schedules as a doctor, she still manages to still look so young and fresh. Stress doesn’t eat her up just like that, Dr. Ahn has her ways to fight it and that makes her unique.

 

Lee Chaeyeon, an architect and a choreographer at the same time went beside Yujin who’s busy eating and drinking soju. She extended her hand as she volunteer’s to pour some soju in the younger’s shot glass.

 

“Here…”

 

“Oh unnie, thank you” she bows her head as a respect to the older

 

“Yujinie, aahh you already know my shoe size right?”

 

They both look at each other and started laughing.

 

“It’s been a while Yujinie, I really missed you so much especially your smile and your dimples”

 

“Me too, unnie. I’m glad that I’m here with you guys before I leave. I really longed for my beloved friends. I apologize if it took so long” the tone of her voice changes, she felt sad because she missed a lot about them and she regretted not being able to grace their offer way back

 

Chaeyeon taps her head and brushes it “That’s okay, we understand and respect you. We love you, remember that.”

 

After hearing it, her heart flutters and smile is starting to curve up on her lips.

 

“You haven’t told her yet?”

 

Yujin nods her head; she knows what Chaeyeon is talking about.

 

“Don’t you think it’s about time, Yujin-ah?”

 

She didn’t respond, instead of eating she just played with her food; thinking.

 

Eunbi interrupted the two and asks Yujin something, but the younger couldn’t hear her properly.

 

“Pardon unnie, what did you just say?”

 

“Nothing. Uhm, I just wanted to make sure if you really noted the one I asked you last night”

 

Yujin stops and recalls her conversation with Eunbi “O that one? Of course I will” she thumbs up and gives her unnie a warm smile

 

They went home right before dawn, and because she’s a bit tipsy she didn’t drive and just stayed at their dorm to rest. But before she shuts off her eyes, she recalls what Chaeyeon told her at the resto.

 

What might have been

 

 

“I’ve been your doctor for a couple of years now. I have told you what’s best for you, but still the last say will be on you. Since then I’ve been supporting you, and whatever it is that you want I promise I’ll be on your side. As you refuse to take my advice to have a surgery, you know what will happen right? And it breaks my heart to say this, start living your life to the fullest… and makes the most out of it because we’ll never know when.”

 

It was the words her doctor said to her when she meets up with her a while ago. She knew it ever since, so she didn’t go for that surgery. It will be a waste of time and money. She already had a heart to heart talk with her parent’s about it; it’s not that simple, it’s not that easy; of course who would want their one and only child to die that sooner.

 

Ever since that very first day they knew about her illness, they already accepted the faith of their one and only; but still they fought hand in hand until the end. They couldn’t handle the fact that their child is now bidding her farewell to them. The most painful goodbye of all.

 

Their daughter, being so strong since day one is what made them braver to face the challenges. It’s really a tough road, but at least in every difficulty they’d encountered along the way; they saw their angel smile all throughout the journey.

 

“Mom, dad… I want to travel. Please allow me, I already talked to my doctor and yes she allowed me and she even prepared a medical certificate as a document for my visa application. I badly needed this one, so please…”

 

They couldn’t say no to their princess, but their heart and mind are contemplating on whether or not they will allow her or not. It’s because of the possibility that their child might not come home anymore. They witnessed how the attacks occur these past weeks and the worries in them as paren

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter