Lost Boy

You're the Reason Why

September finally came along. My worst nightmare finally arrived. I would be going to school-no wait-what's worse is that I would have to wear a uniform. I already went to the uniform shop with my mom and sister. They both squealed at how cute I looked and took lots of pictures. I was super annoyed.

I got up really early this morning since it was my first day at school. I had to put on my uniform and I headed downstairs for breakfast. Mom already packed my lunch and started breakfast. She was somehow more enthusiastic than I was about going to school. Dad was sitting at the dinning table sipping his morning coffee and reading the newspaper. He nearly teared up when he saw me in my uniform.

"Morning sweetie pie!~" mom greeted.

"I-is that my daughter...? All grown up..?" dad sniffled. 

"Ugh. Dad it's not a big deal. I am just going to school..." I walked over to comfort him by patting his shoulder. He hugged me and nearly started bawling his eyes out. 

"Now now dear. Our little girl is growing up and you just have to accept it. Gees. What am I to do with you?" she pouted at him. He then waved her from the kitchen to come to him. She obliged. Then he pulled her in for a small kiss. I nearly barfed.

"You're right honey. Soon it will just be you and me with no children-"

"Guys! I'm still right here!" I interrupted. They both laughed then mom went back to making breakfast.

Buzz. Buzz.

I took out my phone to read the text I got from my friend in America. It was from my long time friend Alyssa. She wished me good luck on my first day of school. It must be almost lunch time for her. I was glad she texted me though. It gave me a bit of encouragement.

Buzz. Buzz.

Another one? I thought for a moment. I wondered if any of my other friends from my old school could have possibly sent me a text. Then I remembered that they were probably busy. I checked my messages just to be sure and then saw that Alyssa added one more message for me. 

[Text From: Alyssa] 
It's okay to be yourself but don't put up a wall on your first day. Give it a chance. You like to act tough, but as your long-time friend, I know that you can be sensitive sometimes. Enjoy your first day. Make some friends. Love ya girl. I'm always here.

My eyes watered only slightly. It was really nice of her to message me. I honestly didn't expect it. Alyssa is right though. I need to give this life a chance. You never know what could happen. Maybe my life will change for the better. 

I started walking to school. I know I had to take the train and luckily I practiced using the train when we first moved here. It's all thanks to my older sister that I can ride it comfortably. I put my earbuds in my ear and listened to my favorite music. I also looked out the window as I watched the world fly past me. I would soon start my life over. It's going to be okay. All-of-a-sudden, I heard a commotion.  I took one ear bud out and looked around.

Apparently there was a guy in the corner who was swarmed with a bunch of girls. I raised my brow in confusion. I then tried to get a closer look as to what was happening. The guy seemed a bit flustered. The girls were grabbing onto him and taking pictures with him and he just calmly let them. Was he some kind of celebrity or something? I didn't intend to but some school girls nearby were whispering about him and I was curious so I tried to listen to them.

"Whoa. Is that really Mika from Intersection??"

"Ehhhh?? No way. He's a total celebrity. Whoa. I'm so jealous of the students who go to Yumewa Kanau High School! They are so lucky!"
*in Japanese wa is written as ha*

I looked at my uniform name. It read, 'Yumewa Kanau High School.' I realized that this so-called celebrity goes to the same school as me. I got even more curious so I got up to get a better look at him. I mean...he was decent looking. He wasn't super model-looking like Eunwoo Oppa but I can see why the other girls were swooning over him. Just then a girl shouted at him randomly.

"MIKA WILL YOU MARRY ME????" 

At that point, everyone on the train was being disturbed by the chaos. So, I decided to be myself just like Alyssa told me to. I stood up, paused my music, then put my phone in my pocket. I pushed pass the crowd of girls and grabbed the 'Mika' guy and pulled him to me. I smiled.

"Mi-kun. There you are. Come sit by me."

I sat him down next to me and hooked arms with him and acted all lovey dovey. The other girls were confused and shocked. The 'Mika' guy looked just as confused then I nuzzled to him and acted cute. I glared at the other girls. 

"What are you looking at? This is my best friend. Go away." I threatened while still keeping my act up. I then looked at the guy to encourage him to play along. He finally understood and got the message.

"A-aah. Sorry. You must have missed me a lot right?" he gave a goofy grin and rubbed the back of his neck. The crowd seemed unamused so they all dispersed. Finally, the chaos was gone. "Wow. Thanks for saving me back there." he whispered to me.  I looked him up and down and then moved away from him when the crowd was gone.

"Yeah, whatever." I pretended to be on my phone. I then put one ear bud into my ear. He seemed generally confused.

"Uhh...I am Mika Hashizume by the way. It seems like we go to the same school." he pointed at my uniform. I sighed then did a peace sign at him.

"I'm Aya Nakajima. That's all you need to know." I said quite coldly. He looked a bit shocked at my attitude but didn't give up on me. He kept talking to me.

"Aya chan. Are you new? I don't recall ever seeing you at school."

"Maybe you are too busy being so into your popularity that you never noticed me."

"What...? No way. I definitely would have remembered you." he mumbled the last part softly.

"Can I go back to listening to my music in peace now?" I jabbed at him. He sat quietly with his hands in his lap as I went back to listening to my music.

After a few minutes passed I briefly glanced over to see if that 'Mika' guy was still there. He was but he was slowly drifting off to sleep. I rolled my eyes at his typical behavior. Thud. I felt a heavy being on my shoulder. My eyes grew wide. What if it was one of those creepy guys in Anime and Manga.

I slowly and hesitantly turned my head to see who it could be...it was Mika. I froze. I honestly didn't know what I was supposed to do in that sort of situation. Should I wake him? Should I just sit there awkwardly until he wakes up? Without having much time to think, our school stop was being announced. We were arriving at our school. As I was about to turn to wake him up, I felt him stirr from his slumber. I quickly put my earbuds in and looked away acting as if I hadn't noticed. He woke up then noticed he was laying on something. As he realized who he fell asleep on he shot up and immediately panicked. I took out an ear bud.

"So, you're finally up? Our stop is next." I remained nonchalant. I could tell he was panicking. He bowed several times.

"Ack. I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to-"

I cut him off by standing up and holding onto the pole as the train came to a stop. I immediately headed out of the train to try and get away from him. He wasn't too far behind, though. I ignored him and listened to my music again. After walking for a bit, the school came into view. Yumewa Kanau High School. The place I will be for the next two more years. I turned around to see if Mika was still behind me. It seems as though he ran off to catch up with friends or something. I felt relieved.

As I entered the school I saw a bunch of shoe cubbies. Ah. The famous shoe lockers in Japan. (Getabako) I looked around for my name in the first-year section. Suprisingly enough, I had my own shoe locker. I took off my shoes then placed them inside the locker. I then took out the indoor shoes (uwabaki) and wore them. Then, I headed over to the Faculty Area to take care of some paperwork. I was greeted by a bunch of Japanese teachers. I bowed my head respectfully and asked who to give my paperwork to. One teacher recognized me and came over. I didn't know who he was but he seemed to know me. Maybe it was because of the picture I had to send with my transcript.

"Aya Nakajima, right?" 

"Yes, sir." I replied.

"Welcome! You must be nervous, hm? Don't be. I am your homeroom teacher. Hayato Okamura."

"Nice to meet you, Okamura Sensei." I bowed once more.

"Yes. We are in class 1-B. I will take you in just a moment. Let me finish your paperwork, okay?" he showed a friendly smile. He looked like a Japanese Uncle who you can trust. I was thankful that he was my homeroom teacher.

"Ah...yes. Thank you Okamura Sensei." 

I stood still and waited patiently for him to be done with all my paperwork and such. I looked around examining the room a bit. It was definitely different from the laid-back vibe at my old school. Japan and Hawaii are similar but still very different. I would definitely have to adjust well here. Soon enough, Okamura Sensei was finished and he walked back over to me.

"Ready for your first day, Nakajima-san?"

"Yes." I replied politely.

"Alright. Let's go." he said. He grabbed his belongings and I followed him to the classroom.

Luckily, I was a first-year meaning I didn't have to walk up the stairs on my first day. I looked around and saw a lot of students. The school looked very big. As expected of a popular Japanese art school. A lot of cliques were already formed and some were having a jam session. It is a performing arts school, after all.

The first bell rang and students began heading to their classrooms. Students quickly greeted Okamura Sensei as they hurried off to class. Okamura Sensei seemed popular amongst the students. I feel incredibly lucky. I could have had a super strict teacher. Thank god my teacher is so friendly-looking and kind.

We both finally reached Classroom 1-B. He told me to wait outside the classroom until he introduced me. I peeked through the window and saw all the students scattered in the room. The final bell rung and Okamura Sensei slid the door open and all the students rushed to sit down and be quiet. One student stood up and called for everyone's attention.

"Stand up. Bow." he commanded. The whole class bowed to Okamura Sensei.

"Ohayou Gozaimasu (Good Morning)." the class greeted Okamura Sensei.

"Yes yes." he smiled and awknowledged. The one student then commanded everyone to sit down. "How was everyone's Summer Break, hm?" Sensei smiled and looked around the room. Some students groaned as they were back in the classroom setting.

"Sensei. What did you do during break?" one student asked while raising their hand.

"Ohh. Good question...let's see, I did have to come to school to prepare for the next term...but I also got to go home and play with my cat." he chuckled. Everyone was in awe. I guess Okamura Sensei is the bachelor type. He must be pretty popular amongst the female students. "Ah, before I forget...we have a new transfer student with us. Come on in."

Ah the moment of truth. I slid the door open shyly then stood in front of the entire class while Okamura Sensei gave me the green light to introduce myself. I took a piece of chalk to write my name in Kanji on the board. I could already hear whispers and snickers around the room. I brushed it off though. I bowed to the class then began my introduction.

"Hello. I am from America specifically Oahu, Hawai'i. My name is Aya Nakajima. It is a pleasure to meet you all. Please look upon me favorably." I bowed once more. The reaction from my classmates seemed more upbeat. It was probably because I mentioned I was from Hawai'i. Everyone then clapped for me.

"Class, please make sure to be kind to your new friend. Help Nakajima-san out when she needs it...understand?"

"Yes." the class replied.

"Now then, Nakajima-san...how about you go sit at that empty desk over there, hm?"

He pointed out at the empty desk, I bowed to him, then my eyes landed upon a familiar face. I was shocked. He looked back at me with eyes wide as well. No way. I have to sit next to him? That celebrity guy 'Mika?' Oh god...can my day get any worse? I reluctantly went towards my seat and sat down. I then hooked my backpack in the slot next to my desk. Hm. It was very convenient unlike the classrooms in America.

As Okamura Sensei began with the lecture I happened to look towards my left. That's where Mika was sitting. We happened to meet each other's eyes but I looked away uninterested. Ugh. Why did I have to be stuck with him. Mika nudged me while Sensei's back was towards the entire class. I glared at him. How dare he try to talk to me. I am not going down with him! I refuse. Mika stealthily passed me a note. I read it hesitantly. 

Wow. You're from Hawai'i? Really?? Me too. That's cool.

I looked at him in disbelief. Is he for real? Why can't he understand that I don't want to be friends? Gees. Take a hint buddy. He is more stubborn than a mule. I sighed then decided to write back. I guess I can reply.

Yeah.

I tossed the note back at him while he wasn't paying attention. It his him in the head. I chuckled a bit. Gees. What a big dummie. He's the one who started writing to me... I snuck a glance at him as he read my note. It seemed like he was writing a paragraph compared to me. He then passed the note back.

Gees. Are you always this cold-hearted? Give a guy a chance. 

Then I got a sudden flashback to Alyssa's text. It echoed in my mind. '...Make new friends...' Ugh...but why did it have to be him of all people??? Does literally no one else want to be my friend? No? Just that dumb idiot? I guess I have no choice. I wrote back.

Fine. Here's my number. Never text me while I'm asleep or in class. That's my only rule.

He smiled while reading my new note. he stuffed it in his pocket to keep it for later. He smiled and gave me a thumbs up and a goofy grin as if signaling that we are friends now.  I rolled my eyes then went back to focusing on the lecture. Man...what did I get myself into?