Final.

actually, it's you.

Just like any other days, Yuri always made a visit to her crush’s class during lunch time. Choi Yena, a third-year high school student succeed in stealing her heart.

“Is Yena not around?”, she asked the people in the class as she stood infront of the door.

“Yeah… she sprinted out of the class as soon the bell rings.”, Hyewon answered for her. She is Yena’s best friend.

Yuri sighed and walked towards Hyewon. She took a seat opposite of Hyewon, eyes silently ogling Hyewon’s lunchbox. Hyewon noticed the glare.

“Do you want some?”, she asked politely.

“You sharing food with people? How bizarre.”

Hyewon chuckled knowing what Yuri said is true. She, out of all people, is stingy when it comes to food.

“I can only share my food with two people. Sakura Miyawaki and Jo Yuri. Have some.”

Yuri shrugged her shoulder and accepted the chopsticks that is handed to her. She picked up a small chicken fillet.

“Yena is always hanging around with people. That is why I didn’t decide to ask her out yet. I’m scared that she would have a change of heart immediately. Even now, she has been hanging around with all the other third-year students and forget about me.”, Yuri suddenly told the other girl. Hyewon stopped eating and looked up.

“Why are you telling me this?”, Hyewon asked, mouth filled with food. Yuri grinned at her view.

“Because you’re the kind of person that listen but didn’t care. So it’s better to talk it out to you.”

“Emm”, Hyewon nodded and continue her lunch. Yuri tried to pick up another chicken only to be ed by Hyewon’s chopstick.

“It’s mine.”, Hyewon glared at Yuri and she immediately put down the chicken. She resumes to pick up another dishes.

Hyewon watched as Yuri kept pouting and rolling her eyes while she pushed a spoon of rice into . Hyewon quickly stuffed a chicken fillet in .

“I just can’t bear watching you being sad. Just eat it.”

Yuri grinned and she looked like a cute chipmunk or that is what Hyewon’s thought. Yuri held Hyewon’s hand and left a quick peck on it, leaving a greasy stain on Hyewon’s hand.

“Thank you, Hyewon unnie.”, she smiled again.

.

.

Hyewon walked down the stairs, ready to go home after the class ended. The History class bore her, and she can’t wait to go back home.

Yena halted her as she reached down the stairs. “Hyewon, good that I bumped into you. If you see Yuri, can you please tell her to go back alone?”

“Yah, Yena. Why you don’t want to walk home with her? Don’t outcast her, you idiot.”

“What do you mean? I just want to join the friends in class 3-4 to play bowling after this. And, Yuri doesn’t like my friends. She’s just going to throw her anger on me later on.”

“Don’t say that about your…crush! She felt that you did not like her anymore, did you know that?”, Hyewon stumbled on her words, not knowing how to interpret their relationship.

“What? She is also too clingy sometimes and I’m not a fan of clingy person. And, what is she thinking? Of course, I still like her. I never stop liking her.”

Yena stared at her watch and looked back at Hyewon, eyes pleading for help. Hyewon shook her head and snickered.

“You know what? Just go and have fun with that buddies of yours. Just go!”, she said, almost screaming. Hyewon don’t know why she’s feeling mad because she is always a person who can control their feelings. But maybe, not today.

“Geez, what is wrong with you…”, Yena said softly but still audible to Hyewon’s ears.

Hyewon walked out of the school entrance and there is so sign of Yuri nearby. She sighed and made her way back home.

 

Hyewon propped her chin as she stared at the English exercises. Her view suddenly went dark.

“Yuri?”, Hyewon made her guess, earning a loud ‘woah’ from the other girl as she released her hands from covering Hyewon’s eyes.

“How did you know it’s me?“

“Your scent. I just knew it.”

Yuri chuckled shyly and took a seat next to her senior. She rested her head on the table, her face looking towards Hyewon. “You really love me, eh?”

“Of course. There’s no other Yuri like you. You’re the only cute Yuri.”

Yuri covered and giggled silently as they’re inside the school library.

“What are you doing here, anyway?”

“Ah, I’m waiting for Yena unnie to finish her choir club activities. She said we can go back together today.”

“Ah, I see. I’ll wait with you too then.”, Hyewon told her. Yuri nodded her head.

Hyewon stared back at her revision book, attempting to focus. With Yuri by her side, how can she? Yuri kept poking her cheek and played with her fingers, obviously taking all the attention away from English.

A message notification beeped. Yuri took out her smartphone and read the text. She sighed and slid back her smartphone in her bag. She moved her head and rested it on Hyewon’s lap. Her arms made her way around Hyewon’s waist.

“Is that Yena? What did she say?”, Hyewon asked carefully, not wanting to hurt the little girl more.

“She said she had gone back. She forgot that she already made a promise with her running club’s friend.”

Hyewon knew that she felt hurt by the way Yena is treating her. But who can be blamed? Yena is one of the aces in this school. She is good in studies, singing, running and sometimes, she volunteered to help out other school clubs. It’s not weird that she is surrounded with lots of people.

“Let’s go.”, Hyewon unwrapped the hand that is whirling around her waist. Yuri looked up and straighten herself. Hyewon stood up and held Yuri’s arm, dragging her out of the library.

.

.

“How did you know I like this flavour?”, Yuri asked Hyewon as she the cotton candy ice cream. Hyewon watched Yuri eating it.

“Why wouldn’t I know? I’m a fan of Jo Yuri.”, Hyewon told Yuri. Hyewon’s lips slowly forming a soft smile.

“Do you want some?”, Yuri offered her the ice cream but Hyewon refused. Yuri pouted and offered again. Again, she is defeated by the younger girl.

“Unnie, do you think I control Yena unnie too much? I think she’s kinda sick of me nowadays.”

“What do you mean control? You did not. She just didn’t know her priority.”

“What priority? I’m not even her girlfriend yet. Only someone who is head over heels for her.”

Hyewon looked at Yuri. The girl is totally blaming herself. Hyewon reached for Yuri’s hand but Yuri unconsciously pulled her hand away to wipe the cream on her lips.

“I should be at home by 7.”, Yuri told her senior. Hyewon nodded. “I’ll walk you home.”

Yuri’s eyes formed into a crescent-moon shape. They walked by the road, exchanging stories on current favourite idol, worst teacher in the school and there is even a discussion on who is the most beautiful student in their school.

“Thank you for walking me home, Hyewon unnie.”, Yuri threw a warm hug to Hyewon. She returned the hug. “Minju is still the prettiest in our school.”, Hyewon nonchalantly said.

Yuri released the hug and pushed her away softly. “it’s Yena unnie.”

“Minju!”, Hyewon insisted. Yuri stuck her tongue out and ran into her house. Hyewon grinned to herself.

But you’re the prettiest to me, Jo Yuri.

 

Yuri and Hyewon had been much closer than before since that incident. Whenever Yena is away with her many other groups of friends, Yuri spent most of her time with Hyewon. Hyewon appreciated Yuri’s presence and everything that she had been doing alone for all these whiles, she now has Yuri that stick around.

“I was looking for you everywhere…”, Yuri sighed as she pushed the door at the rooftop. Hyewon was lying down on the floor, with a piece of paper covering her face.

Hyewon removed the paper and looked at Yuri that is creeping nearer to her. “Sorry, I was just upset that my English marks is low. I mean, I think I did pretty well!”

“Come here~”, Yuri sat down next Hyewon and patted her lap. Hyewon scooted over and lied her head on Yuri’s lap. She hugged Yuri’s waist as she started to fake-sob. That is just out of her norm attitude.

Yuri patted Hyewon’s head and planted a soft kiss on the side of Hyewon’s head, just a few inch over her ears. Hyewon’s ears immediately turned red. Hyewon quickly held her ears and luckily, Yuri didn’t noticed her scalded ears.

“Oh, who you’re bringing to the prom next month?”, Yuri began a new topic to be discussed.

“I don’t know yet. I wanna ask Sakura unnie to be my date but I think Chaeyeon had already ask her out.”, she replied.

“Ahh, if you ever need a date, please call out for me.”, Yuri offered herself. Hyewon looked up, wanting to met Yuri’s eyes.

“Yena didn’t invite you out?”

“Ah yes, she did. But I can always be a date for you too.”, Yuri looked down to met Hyewon’s eyes. She then smiled after finishing her sentences.

“Yeah, I’ll think about it. I don’t want to die in Yena’s hand anyway.”, Hyewon laughed nervously.

“Unnie, I really wish someone will like you sincerely. You’re very nice and kind anyway”

Wait until you see me curse while playing video games. Or making a child cry for asking for my food.

“I’m awkward around people anyway. So, it’s a bit hard for others.”

“Hard? You make it easy for me to let myself knowing you.”, Yuri stated. Hyewon hummed, thinking for a reply.

“Well, that’s because I’m your fan. If you’re someone else, then no way.”

Yuri nodded her head and resumed to ask about many other things. Being with Yuri, it’s a very effective healing process for Hyewon.

.

.

Yuri walked towards a café as she received a text from Yena, wanting to meet up. It’s been such a long time since they hang out with just the two of them, alone.

“Yuri-ya! Here!”, Yena happily called for Yuri when she walked into the café. Yuri grinned and took a seat opposite of her crush.

“So, why you suddenly want to meet me?”, Yuri immediately shot her questions.

“Eyy, what’s with you? Order some food first. What do you want to eat?”, Yena told her, pushing the menu towards Yuri.

Yuri pushed the menu away. “Don’t beat around the bush. It’s about the prom, right?”

“What…”, Yena’s voice trailed off and she suddenly looked down.

“You want to ask someone else to be your prom date?”, Yuri threw her question again.

“How did you know…”, Yena asked, eyes still fixed on the table.

Yena watched the girl beneath of her, not feeling a little bit guilty for hurting her heart. Weirdly, the pain didn’t deeply hurt her. Her heart is soothed by something. Or someone.

“Guts I had been feeling since you asked me to be your date.”, Yuri replied.

Yena looked up, fixing her gaze on Yuri. “But I was serious at that time. I really want you to be my prom date.”, she justified clearly.

“What went wrong, then?”, Yuri asked again, firm.

“I don’t know. I think I’m just feeling a bit hurt since you’re so close with Hyewon now.”, Yena voiced out her justification.

Yuri had been staring but suddenly, she glared. “Really? You gonna use the Hyewon unnie card? She’s got nothing to do with Chaewon unnie anyway.”

“What…?”, Yena’s voice signalled a fake shocked.

“You just don’t want to lose the admiration she had for you, huh? Being the president of the choir club indeed a tough task, but Yena unnie is always there for her. What then? She falls for you and you like her back?”

Yena snickered and her face expressing a dissatisfaction. “We just really respect each other.”

“Sure.”, Yuri stated, slowly sliding a piece of folded paper to Yena. Yena picked up the paper and read it.

 

 
 

Hello Yuri,

My name is Kim Chaewon, class 3-1, and the choir’s club president. I am actually interested in Choi Yena too and I wanted her to be my prom date. I asked her earlier and she said she couldn’t decide and then I knew she already asked you to be her prom date. With a due respect, can you please let Yena be my prom date instead? I really want my prom night to be memorable since this is our last prom. Can you consider this?

 

In need of help,

Chaewon

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yena looked up as she finished reading the letter. “Just go to the prom with her. Have fun.”

Yuri stood up and turned her shoes around, making her way out of the café. “Yuri, I’m really sor-”

 

“Don’t say it.”, Yuri replied sternly.

 

Hyewon sat far away from the dancing crowds, almost drunk gang and those people who she hardly remembered their name.

“Hyewon unnie, I thought you won’t be attending this type of events?”, asked a tall girl. Hyewon looked up. It’s the school best basketball player, Ahn Yujin.

“Yeah, I didn’t want to come at first, but I think this would be the last time I’ll attend a prom anyway, so here I am.”, Hyewon stated. Yujin nodded her head. Hyewon continued. “Who you’re coming with?”

“Me, obviously!”, another tall girl crept into the circle, Jang Wonyoung.

“Not her! It’s her!”, Yujin shook her head and pulled another girl that is drinking a juice behind her. She shoved Minju into the circle. “Minju unnie is my prom date.”

Hyewon bowed her head towards Minju, greeting her. She is not going to lie, Minju is obviously the prettiest in their school.

“You came alone then, Wonyoung?”

“Ah no, I come with Chaeyeon unnie.”, the taller girl replied, taking a glance at the couple next to her.

“She is not Sakura’s date?”, Hyewon asked, obviously shocked. She is always updated with Sakura’s facts and she knew that Sakura and Chaeyeon have something between them.

“Sakura unnie eagerly want Eunbi unnie only.”, Wonyoung told her. Hyewon nodded her head.

From afar, she saw Yena slow dancing with another figure that is not Yuri. Hyewon squinted her eyes for confirmation and she immediately approached them when she is sure the other girl is not Yuri.

“Yena, what are you doing?”

“What?”, Yena was startled. She let her hands down from holding onto Chaewon’s shoulder.

“Why are you with her?”, Hyewon pointed at Chaewon.

“I’m her prom date.”, Chaewon replied.

“Where’s Yuri?”

“Probably didn’t come.”, Yena stated while shrugging her shoulder.

Hyewon eyed the both of them with much hatred. She did not know what had happened but seeing Yuri not with Yena, something bad must had happened.

“You’re the worst, Choi Yena.”

.

.

Yuri stared at her smartphone that has been receiving numerous calls from Hyewon but she just decided not to answer it. Yuri had been leaning against the wall not too far from the table that Hyewon occupied earlier. The scene where Hyewon approached Yena and Chaewon also happened right in front of her eyes.

Yuri walked up the stairs, finding Hyewon is leaning against the railing. She is so in her deep thought as she stared down at the dancing crowd .

“Do you need a prom date?”, Yuri greeted Hyewon. Hyewon whirled around, unamused. Her eyes is so dead.

Yuri chuckled and wrapped her arms around Hyewon’s neck. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

Hyewon breathed in and then gently wrapped her hands around Yuri’s waist. “Then, I’ll be in your care for the remaining 2 hours.”, she told.

They slow dance to the music that is playing in the hall. There were a few eyes looking at their way and Hyewon noticed each and every of it. She looked towards those glaring eyes.

“Hyewon unnie, eyes on me.”, Yuri gently called her name, reverting her gaze fixed again on Yuri’s.

Yuri’s eyes, it’s so small just like face. It’s shining on its own way that only the person who looked into it can feel the glitz of it.

“Yuri, I like you.”, Hyewon suddenly blurted out.

“Hah?”, Yuri asked in confusion.

Hyewon’s eyes grew wider, totally not realising that she had confessed her feelings to Yuri. What made her do that? Is it because of the tension? Her eyes? Their surroundings? Hyewon shut her eyes closed. Her ears reddened. But, there is no turning back. She opened her eyes again and breathed out.

“I like you.”, she said again, like a real gentlewoman.

“I know. Me too.”, Yuri responded and smiled.

“No, please understand that I like you the way you like Yena. Not like the ‘friendly like’.”, Hyewon tried to assure her feelings straight.

Yuri chuckled. “Yes, I am all aware of that.”

Hyewon tilted her head sideways, confused. “Why am I feeling like you’re thinking I’m not serious? Yuri-”

Yuri’s brows furrowed. She looked deeply into Hyewon’s eyes, clicking her tongue. “Just which part of I said that I know that you didn’t understand?”

“What?”

Yuri held Hyewon’s head in her hand, tiptoed and planted a soft kiss on Hyewon’s lips. It was so sudden but Hyewon managed to kiss back before Yuri broke off the kiss. Her lips felt warm and tasted like mango. They both touched their own lips, then looking at one another.

“Why you didn’t do anything knowing I like you?”, Hyewon asked, her face is burning red.

“I was just waiting for you to say it first.”, Yuri replied, not looking into Hyewon’s eyes. She too is scalded in embarrassment.

“What now? Are- are we a thing? Are we dating?”, Hyewon asked more.

Yuri looked up to Hyewon. She shrugged her shoulder. “I’m not sure. Do you want us to date?”

“I don’t know. I can’t think.... I’m hungry actually.”, Hyewon revealed her true feelings.

Yuri let out a soft chuckle and entwined her fingers with Hyewon’s.

“Fine. Let’s talk about this over some fast food.”

 

Yuri walked out of the school gate, finding Hyewon is already waiting for her. She ran small steps towards Hyewon. Hyewon picked up the book in Yuri’s grip and held onto it.

“I saw Yena just now.”, Hyewon started her tale. “So?”, Yuri asked, raising her brows.

“Nothing. Just telling you that.”. Yuri shook her head. “Not interested in that one. Next.”

“Next? Today, I miss Jo Yuri very much.”, Hyewon told the younger girl.

Yuri clinged her hands around Hyewon’s arms. “That is so cheesy.”

“But you like it, right?”, Hyewon asked. Yuri giggled and nodded.

As soon as they reach Yuri’s cram school area, Hyewon pulled the other girl into secluded walkway.

“Where are you going? It’s this way.”, Yuri told Hyewon, pointing to the opposite way.

Hyewon left a soft kiss on her girlfriend’s lips and handed Yuri the book that she had been holding.

“Study well and don’t go flirting around.”, Hyewon briefed to Yuri. Yuri giggled and planted another soft kiss on Hyewon’s lips.

“I will not. You have my trust.”

Hyewon patted Yuri’s head and whirled around, making her way out of the walkway. “I’ll see you on Monday.”

Yuri nodded and watched Hyewon slowly disappeared from her view. She bit her lower lips and screamed internally as she walked into her cram school.

Her days as Hyewon’s girlfriend starts today.

 

 

-END-