What's up with your tat?

Tattoo

Taeyeon watches on as Tiffany fidgets, feeling amused by the unusual behaviors of the bubbly girl. They were having their dinner after their work shift at the hotel’s canteen when she realized that her companion had something bothering her. She finally decides that she has seen enough.

 

“Babe, is something bothering you? You’re exceptionally quiet today. If there is anything you want to talk about you know I’m here for you.” 

 

Tiffany looked up as her with a conflicted expression, as if trying to make a difficult decision and suddenly she had a determined stance and spoke up.

 

“Taeyeon, there is something I’m curious about and I’ve been meaning to ask. I’ve noticed your tattoo when we were changing and was just wondering why would you choose to put it on your inner thigh? Doesn’t it attract unwanted attention to you when you wear shorts? I’m just worried something bad might happen to you.” 

 

Taeyeon froze for a few seconds at the mention of her tattoo. She knew the topic was inevitable and that she had to talk to someone about it one day. It surprised her that Tiffany had asked her in such a worried tone, but was relieved that at least she was comfortable enough with Tiffany to talk to her about the true story behind it instead of the passing jokes she always makes about the said tattoo. Taeyeon sighed and picks at her food before looking up at Tiffany.

 

“I don’t mind sharing the story with you, but I hope you retain your judgements about me to yourself after this. I know you’re not the type to spread rumors but this is really quite sensitive.”

 

“Of course, Tae. I’m just worried about you.”

 

“I know and I’m thankful for that,” Taeyeon paused and beamed a smile at Tiffany, earning a bright eye smile directed at her. “Have you heard about the semicolon project?”

 

Tiffany pondered about the topic seriously and replied, “ Yeah I heard about it. Something about showing support towards people dealing with mental illnesses or suicide am I right?”

 

“Yeap,” Taeyeon confirmed while reaching for her mobile phone, pulling out a picture of her tattoo. “The panda’s left ear and arm is a hidden semicolon. And although it wasn’t done properly, there was supposed to be a semicolon at the heart as well.”

 

Tiffany’s eyes widened at the realization, “Oh wow I never noticed them before!”

 

Taeyeon laughed “I intended for it to be this way. If it is so easily interpreted then I have failed to plan properly before deciding on such a permanent mark.”

 

Tiffany hesitated before asking, “Are you comfortable with sharing the story behind it?”

 

Taeyeon smiled softly at the cute sight of her friend. “Of course, I wouldn’t have started it if I wasn’t. It actually represents 2 mental instabilities I used to have, namely depression and anxiety. The tattoo reminds me that I am enough, that I have survived through the tough times and to keep looking forward.”

 

Tiffany gasps “It doesn’t occur to me that you have faced such difficulties, you have so much energy at work every day!”

 

“Yea, it took me quite a while to get over it.” Taeyeon looks over to Tiffany to find her immersed and wanting to know more about the story. 

 

“Let’s change out and find a more private setting to talk about this.” Taeyeon stood up and gestured Tiffany to follow her, in which the latter obediently did.