Part III

You can be free
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After that first date, many more followed. Some not as casual as the first, but Junmyeon was willing to spend as much time as he could with Yixing. It had been a matter of weeks but he had realized that the Chinese prince was different from the rest of the people he had met before, he was honest, kind, with a pure heart and seemed to show a genuine interest in him, to know him for who he really was. 

 

They were trying to adjust to Junmyeon's schedule and so far they had been able to enjoy some quiet afternoons where they spent together in the palace library discussing their favorite books, for some it might sound like boring and very simple thing to do but for Junmyeon had been very happy, reading was one of his favorite hobbies and it was something he seemed to share with the young chinese. They talked about their favorite genres, and Yixing was quick to recommend some authors and works that might interest him.

 

On other occasions Yixing had surprised him with picnics inside the palace gardens, he didn’t have the slightest idea of ​​how the young chinese found the most appropriate moment to distract him from the mountains of papers and work on his shoulders. They used to enjoy privacy and good weather, the young man worked so hard that he even took care of preparing the food, leaving Junmyeon amazed at his culinary skills. Those were probably the dates he liked the most, both enjoying each other's company under the shadow of one of the big trees in the garden, Yixing made simple and traditional snacks and tried to make sure that even the smallest detail was perfect. 

 

Junmyeon had been feeling very nervous after what had happened on the night of their first date, when he gathered up the courage and dared to give him a short kiss. He believed that the atmosphere between them would become uncomfortable but in reality it was just the opposite. Surely Yixing knew that the young man would feel ashamed, which is why he took great care to make him see that this detail had made him very happy and it was from that moment that the relationship between them solidified a little more. Yixing was learning when to give him his space and when it was convenient to assure him of his affection with physical contact. A little caress on his head, a little pat on his shoulder, a caress on his arm to help him calm down or distract him, or the hugs that seemed to comfort a tired Junmyeon. 

 

"You are too adorable Junmyeon." Yixing commented, seeing how the prince smiled as he tried the sandwiches he had prepared. 

 

"A prince shouldn't be adorable ..."

 

 "It makes me want to hug you all the time." 

 

"We could ... I mean, we can do that." 

 

"Well, you can't take that back now." He said before tightly surrounding the prince in his arms, savoring every second and taking advantage by burying his face in the crock of the other’s neck, breathing in that soft sweet aroma, which reminded him of the cotton candy of his first date. 

 

“This is bad.”

 

 “What's bad?”

 

"Trying to restrain myself is getting harder and harder Junmyeon, I hope you will be more considerate of my poor heart." Yixing made comments like that more and more often without realizing that Junmyeon was smiling sweetly upon hearing him.

 

They also enjoyed the short walks in the gardens or the occasions when they used to return to the park of their first date and although they could not always escape from some bodyguards, they kept a prudent distance with the couple and did their best to ignore them, something that It wasn't really that difficult since Junmyeon was distracted by Yixing's sparkling eyes, with his contagious laugh, with the adorable dimple on his cheek which was dying to summon up courage and to be able to touch it, with the occasional friction between their hands that always ended with a delicate but firm grip for the rest of their dates.

 

In such a short time Yixing had also become Junmyeon's main support regarding his projects, the prince was always willing to listen to him talking for hours about the different plans he had, the ideas and goals he wanted to fulfill and how despite some of them sounded very ambitious, he always supported him and tried to help him see things a little more positive. Yixing repeatedly told him how proud he was of the results he achieved, his perseverance, and the hard work he did that he even loved to brag about his accomplishments with his family in China, despite Junmyeon's insistence that he should stop creating a perfect image with his parents when he felt that he was far from being it, conversations that only ended with a Yixing a little annoyed to see how the prince devalued himself. 

 

They had reached such a point that Junmyeon was relieved to be given the opportunity to get to know the young Chinese man more and was really comfortable with his presence that when he had to perform at some social events he felt more boring than usual. He knew they were part of his responsibilities but the idea of ​​having to shake hands with a hundred people who were present just to appear to be friendly to him, was not very pleasant. He imagined the comments that the young Chinese would make if he were his company at night, he would surely criticize the food and without understanding why being a sophisticated evening the portions of food were very small, merely snacks, or they could argue about the plot of the books who were currently reading and how he had been right in guessing the villain, or would simply be by his side distracting him from social chaos.

 

Reason why he did not put up much resistance when his parents made the comment to reveal an official statement of their engagement, on one condition: that the couple were the ones who decided the date of their future marriage. Junmyeon was eternally grateful for Yixing's request, he didn't expect something like that but it was further proof that the young Chinese really paid attention to his concerns.

 

The news was revealed by the Royal family through a press conference to disclose the details in a diplomatic and concise manner. Yixing's parents had traveled the night before so they could meet Junmyeon and his parents prior to the announcement of their engagement. 

 

The news and newspapers did not waste time and bombarded social networks with the announcement as well as several of them crowded outside the palace with the illusion of obtaining front page photos or exclusive interviews with the Royal family, however security had been reinforced in prevention of any type of incident. 

 

In the same way, the families organized an evening as a celebration of the prince's commitment. The royal hall of the palace was full of different ministers and authorities with their respective companions, as well as other friends and acquaintances of their parents. Members of Yixing’s family and some representatives of his reign.

 

The night seemed eternal, the parents of the princes addressed the public thanking them for their presence and the happiness that this union would bring to their respective countries. The food had been prepared by renowned chefs with a variety of dishes from both Korea and China. This time Junmyeon was not so overwhelmed with the number of people he had to greet and listen to because he could count on Yixing's presence by his side, he actually felt calm and could afford to ignore the looks his mother directed him from across the room.  

 

Hours later, when the guests had retired and the princes had a moment to themselves they could breathe easily, they knew that this had only been the beginning of how chaotic it could be in the future. However, Yixing was proud of Junmyeon, how he managed to remain calm and always respectful towards anyone who approached them during the night. 

 

He had mentioned it since he saw the prince before the guests arrived but Junmyeon looked spectacular that night in his Royal ceremonial attire. His outfit was his own and fit for a prince, perfectly tailored to suit him. It was black in color, enhancing the perfect contrast of his own white robes. Junmyeon's pants were subtly embossed at the edges. His neck and shoulders adorned with gold-colored folds, as well as the seams that were on his chest, which carried a band that crossed from his right shoulder to his left side, where the different brooches with the royal seals rested. 

 

Yixing thought that the boy looked very attractive, no matter how many times he had seen him in his work clothes, each set took his breath away, but if he had to be honest, he preferred to see Junmyeon in more casual clothes. The outfits he wore for their dates, which sometimes consisted of more casual shorts or shirts gave him a more innocent look which he found extremely adorable. 

 

Furthermore, Yixing's outfit was similar to Junmyeon's, with the difference of the white and cream color scheme with some seams characteristic of his Kingdom. He was aware that Junmyeon's mother had considered them a bit informal having seen him before the evening, but did not comment on it. He knew that even Junmyeon felt a little nervous in his place due to his mother's gaze but Yixing just unclasped the first buttons of his uniform, interlaced his hand with Junmyeon and entered among the guests to be out of the visual range from the parents of the Korean prince.

 

Most of the night had been successful however that meant the couple did not stay in one place for long and at the end of the evening he could see how Junmyeon was tired with his heavy eyes so he put his arm over the the other's waist to support him, an action that made the young man blush, even more when he heard the contained laughter from Yixing. 

 

The young man wanted to have enough energy to get upset but Junmyeon was very sleepy, the activities of the last days were taking their toll and he was allowing himself to feel tired so without any resistance he leaned on Yixing, who took the opportunity to guide him to the exit of the room.

 

Having the prince almost in his arms a short distance away made him feel happy but also a little anxious.

 

"You make it harder for me Junmyeon. I'm sorry if one of these days I do more than hug you.” He said in a low voice before sighing, guiding him on the way to the stairs.

 

Junmyeon stopped and said quietly. "Well ... we are publicly engaged."

 

The young Chinese almost lost his balance on one of the steps upon hearing those words.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

From that angle, Yixing could see closely at his bright curious eyes, his skin still glowing in the chandelier light above their heads; his gaze appreciating the bridge of his nose at the perfect angle, his defined jaw and the slight blush on his cheeks.

 

"Actually ... what I meant to say is that ... I thought that after the other night when I ..." Yixing listened as Junmyeon seemed to be fighting with words to express himself, but he believed that he managed to understand him without needing more.

 

He had been an idiot, all these days, had Junmyeon been giving him time? He believed that it was him who was giving the time to the other but perhaps had offended him in some way, although Junmyeon had given no hint of being upset with him. Anyway, he didn't care about anything else because it was something he had wanted to do for weeks, rather than since the day his eyes first saw him.

 

"May I?" Yixing asked anxiously as Junmyeon had averted his gaze as if the ground was suddenly the most interesting thing that could exist. He tried to sound confident but in reality his nerves betrayed him and he only whispered.

 

"You don't have to ask permission." 

 

Without another word, Yixing's fingers slid down his jaw, lifting his chin to get a better look at him and then sliding his touch to the back of his neck where his hand seemed to fit perfectly before closing the distance between them.  

 

Time seemed to move in slow motion or at least that's what Yixing thought when trying to savor every second. Junmyeon's lips were softer and warmer compared to the previous time and while their first kiss had been short and rushed this was just the opposite. It was slow and delicate, he could feel the sweet taste of champagne on the prince's lips. One of Yixing's hands was still clinging to the back of his neck, pulling lightly on his hair while the other hand had positioned itself on Junmyeon's waist, drawing him closer to him. He had forgotten that they were halfway up the stairs until he felt the handrail bump into his back realizing that Junmyeon didn't seem to consider the idea of ​​ending the kiss, he didn't seem to have control over his body but he felt the need to hold onto something before his legs failed him because of the nerves that ran through his entire body. Which is why his hands gripped Yixing's sides by squeezing the hem of his jacket.

 

Neither of them knew how long it had been when Yixing back away, giving Junmyeon room to catch his breath, looking at him with his big eyes and slightly swollen lips. He took a moment to admire the prince's features, he really did not know what he had done in his past life to obtain such a reward. He gave a second chaste kiss before leaning more comfortably on the railing. Neither of them seemed to want to break the silence between them, it was comfortable and perfect. 

 

Yixing watched him as if he wanted to memorize every detail of his face in his memory, while Junmyeon kept seeing the lips of the other, regretting not having repeated this before. He began to feel the heat spread down his cheeks realizing that the position they were in was very intimate, their bodies were so close that he wondered if the Chinese prince could hear the frenzy of his heart, the words he wanted to say were forgotten when he saw the smile spread across Yixing's face.

 

"So… I don't have to ask for permission in the future?"

 

“I do not think it's necessary.”

 

“Okay.” Despite his heart telling him otherwise, Yixing was the first to move.

 

The hand that was around Junmyeon's waist remained in place while the other moved from his neck to his cheek gently caressing him. Junmyeon didn't want to say it out loud, but it felt good. All this, the announcement of their engagement that had actually stopped scaring him, his relationship with Yixing felt natural and comfortable without the need to force anything. And the other gave him the time and space he needed, even more if he had to admit it but ... he was grateful. Which is why he closed the distance between them again with the strong need to hug him. Yixing instantly understood and put his arms around him as he felt Junmyeon relax on him. That feeling went through his body again, a sense of relief, of tranquility. He could sense the still strong smell of gardenias with a vanilla mix. It is what Junmyeon associated with Yixing, a sweet, fresh and natural scent and at those moments he wanted nothing more than to lose himself in that aroma. 

 

He must have waited for Yixing to him to his room, that way they hadn't been interrupted. 

 

"Prince Zhang." Queen Kim's cold tone made Junmyeon quickly distance himself, his face became rigid again and the blush on his face had disappeared. Yixing turned to see the Queen at the bottom of the stairs and tried to position himself in front of Junmyeon in order to shield him a bit from her mother's gaze and at the same time took the opportunity to take the prince's hand.

 

"Yixing, please. We are practically family. You can call me by name, Your Majesty.”  He tried to sound as cordial as he could while smiling sweetly hoping not to offend her with his tone. However, the slight squeeze he received from Junmyeon indicated that the other was nervous. 

 

"Sure, Yixing." Although the Queen also smiled, the young man knew that it was not a sincere smile. 

 

"Sorry to interrupt but your parents were asking about you. I understand that two of you are tired but you  should have waited for the rest of the guests to leave the palace.”  

 

"My apologies, I wanted to Junmyeon to his room." 

 

"I appreciate your kindness, but don't worry. Also, I need to have a word with him.”

 

Before the Chinese prince could say anything else, he felt Junmyeon give his still intertwined hands a little squeeze and a small smile signaling that he was fine. He sighed and obeyed, bowing slightly as he passed the Queen. He was a few steps from the entrance to the main hall when he decided to look at Junmyeon one last time, his face showed a serene expression but Yixing could notice how tense he was, which is why he decided that he would try to invite Junmyeon for a walk to the next day, if his schedule allowed it.

 

 

***

 

 

After the announcement of the engagement, the news and newspaper headlines about the new couple occupied the front pages for weeks. Even if in public view it could be a sea of ​​speculative articles about them and their relationship, the reality inside the palace walls was a little different, their lives did not have the drama or impossible love story that everyone imagined, it was just quite the opposite.

 

 

Perhaps the beginning of their relationship had been a little complicated, but when they had given themselves the opportunity to get to know each other, they had reached the point of living comfortably and even establishing certain routines. 

 

 

Some of them consisted of having breakfast together in the morning and if he managed to be home early, Yixing used to wait for him to have dinner. He took advantage of those moments to talk with the young man about the new project he was working on, which consisted of changes and new reforms in the law. This was one of the projects that he had wanted to work on for a long time, but in reality he had felt insecure and pessimistic about his own ideas, but the young Chinese had encouraged him to develop it further. His advisers insist that it was not a good idea to propose these changes, since the law did not need any arrangement, however he knew that some things could be solved if his new reforms were accepted.  

 

 

Times had changed, the current laws and statutes that governed state institutions were not enough  for the needs of the population.  

 

The Chinese prince was very enthusiastic about Junmyeon's ideas that he tried to help him when he could, sometimes they prolonged their talks during dinner and then in the prince's office. Before, Yixing had rarely had the opportunity to see a certain room, but now it was one of the places he visited the most.

 

The office bore some resemblance to Junmyeon's office, with several shelves piled high with books, but these were different from those found in the palace library, most of them being books on politics, economics, administration, and even some dictionaries. The desk was littered with documents as they both went through reviewing reports and helped him go over what he had discussed with his team that afternoon.

 

The nights when they argued in Junmyeon's office became so frequent that Yixing had either gotten into the habit of making some snacks or used to request the palace cooks to prepare desserts after dinner, as he had noticed how the prince had a sweet palate and some weakness with cakes. Even so Yixing decided to always take care of the drinks, sometimes he chose to prepare some hot tea with special herbs but he knew Junmyeon's preference for coffee, he had memorized the exact amount of sugar and a little milk so that the young man could work a little more but without having trouble falling asleep. 

 

There were nights when the Korean prince returned very tired, and had the initiative to continue working from home but the other did not allow it. He could see that sometimes the boy did not care much about his health, so he adopted it as one of his responsibilities. He found it adorable when the prince tried to dissuade with his expressive eyes but Yixing knew that he had to stay strong. He thought everything was on the right track, but it was too good to be true.

 

Yixing didn’t have many opportunities to talk with the King and Queen, not because he did not want to, but because they rarely met at the Palace. He had spoken to them on the day of his arrival in Korea, the night they invited him to stay at the Palace and the night they announced the engagement. 

 

Those small occasions had been enough for him to observe how the prince used to close himself when his parents were nearby. He couldn't see that smile anymore, those funny remarks, it was as if a mask appeared on him and hid everything he had known these months.

 

So he knew that things were going to be a little different when he heard that the King and Queen were in the Palace again. He tried to be cordial and respectful by inviting the Queen to an afternoon tea, prepared by himself with some herbs that his mother had sent him. 

 

He thought that maybe they could take the opportunity to get to know each other better and maybe she could have some ideas of tentative dates for the wedding, that even if the couple had said that they would be the ones to announce a specific date, they did not want to put aside the opinion of Junmyeon's parents completely. It could also be a good occasion to discuss some other preparation, or they could even discuss a general topic. However, things were somewhat contrary to what he had expected.

 

The Queen limited herself to talking about political issues and possible treaties they were planning to make with his nation, the young man tried to change the subject but all his attempts failed.

 

What had started with a nice idea for Yixing ended up becoming a kind of business talk, and not a very pleasant one. Hearing the tone the Queen used with him made him wonder if it was the same one she had used with Junmyeon since he was a child, which explained a lot about the relationship that the prince showed with his parents. Their conversation was interrupted by a call that seemed to be very important since after a few seconds the Queen excused herself and retired to her office. 

 

 

After that awkward conversation Yixing had retired to his room, he had spent talking with her mother on the phone since after the announcement of the engagement they had to quickly return to China, but not before reminding Yixing that he should also return soon, his parents could take responsibility some of his business but he had been in Korea for a few months and couldn't continue to defer some of his responsibilities.

 

 

Even while away, Yixing had tried not to neglect some of his projects and had frequent conversations with his parents and advisers but knew that at some point his presence would be required. He had tried to put it off as long as he could because he didn't want to think of leaving Junmyeon alone again in that vast Palace. 

 

 

He had spent hours on the phone discussing both business and banal things with his parents, most of the time his mother insisted on talking about Junmyeon although apparently Yixing did not need pressure to boast of the good attributes and qualities of the korean prince. When he ended his call, he decided to lie down for a moment in what he expected Junmyeon to return from the office so they could have dinner together, however those minutes turned into hours and when he woke up the first thing he noticed was that the sun had gone down and it was already night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon had been working hard for weeks and hoped to get good results, had consulted with his most trusted advisers, knew that his presentation couldn't be more perfect even Yixing had motivated him, but knew that the opinion of the council could collapse his work in a matter of seconds. 

 

 

Preparations for the meeting the next day took more time than expected, and when he realized he had to go home, the sun had already gone down. He thought that the Chinese prince would wait for him for dinner but the dining room was empty, instead he found one of the servants informing him that his parents were in the palace and were waiting for him in his office. Hearing that made him felt even more tired but with a resigned walk he decided that it was easier to rush it maybe after that he could have some tea with Yixing since it was too late. He didn't know since when he had started to think of the other prince as a comforting presence but he didn't want to question it. 

 

 

Particularly, the prince didn't have any fond memories in his parents' office, his mother always took him there when she rebuked him about his lack of manners at one of the important and elegant dinners, or when his father was upset by the comments he received on the part of Junmyeon's personal tutors, it is not that the young man was a bad student, but rather he had always been very clever, but he tended to question the tutors too much about their teaching methods, or sometimes questioned political action with his own personal opinion.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter