Chapter 01 : COINCIDENCE

The Love He Never Expected

“Yah, Hyukjae, wake up.” Leeteuk shook Hyukjae’s body to wake him up. With a shock Hyukjae pried his eyes open to found himself in a car with the other members in front of a broadcast building.

 

“Are you going to just sleep here?” Leeteuk teased and patted the younger’s shoulders twice to encourage him. The older had noticed Hyukjae seemed more tired lately, ever since he got discarged from the army to be precise. Leeteuk assumed his dongsaeng just needed a little more time to re-adjust with his life.

 

“Ah no, I will get off too. Wait for me, Hyung.” The younger tried his best to control his balance since he still a little bit dizzy from waking up too suddenly.

 

That day they will do a recording for a hype variety show. Honestly Eunhyuk had been very excited to do activity with other members too, even though his schedule is constantly packed and he would pass out as soon as he reached home at night but Eunhyuk has always been one of the celebrities who has the biggest energy to do variety and he always feel whole whenever he finished the recording. It excites him even more later when he watch the re-run himself.

 

Leeteuk as his leader in the group and his variety partner could sense this even from the earlier days, and he is relieved that Eunhyuk hasn’t lost the energy and excitement to do variety and the younger is even willing to continue learning the variety skill he has somehow lost from being in the army.

 

“Let’s do our best for today, okay?” Leeteuk prepared the members, telling them to join hands and shout “다 죽요!” (da jugyo) before they went to film together. At the moment there were Leeteuk, Heechul, Yesung, Shindong, Eunhyuk and Donghae, the even younger ones (Siwon, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun) were still in the army. It felt kind of empty but Eunhyuk was just glad he could be back in the industry even though sometimes it’s tiring but he’s trying to endure the bitterness to savour the sweetness.

 

As the leader, Leeteuk had taken care of Eunhyuk ever since he finished army. Over 6 months ago, he remembered Eunhyuk seemed like a lost kid. He could not sleep well and he seemed to be a little stressed from re-adjusting to idol life again. But now he seemed to be better and Leeteuk was more than glad to witness that.

 

“We killed it today!” Leeteuk cheered then the other members cheered along. “I can assure you guys our comeback will be a big hit after today’s episode air!”

 

“Shall we celebrate?” Leeteuk continued,

“I can’t today. I already promised Jongjin and the others to hang out in the café.” Yesung replied, “Hyung we didn’t plan this before the recording! I already promised my girlfriend I will cook for her.” Shindong protested.

“Alright, alright, let’s do it another day.” The leader responded.

 

“Aw hyuuuung~ I was looking forward to it!” Donghae groaned in protest, “yeaaah me too, we both don’t have anything else to do!” Eunhyuk added.

 

“The maknaes are jobless!” Shindong teased with a chuckle, “can’t you look at Heechul Hyung? He’s already turned into a gangster!” Yesung chimed in. “I just want to go home!” Heechul moaned in discomfort since the recording started early and ended later than it was originally planned so Heechul was not happy about it.

 

“Okay-okay, the rest of you can go wherever you plan. Eunhyuk, Donghae let’s go for a drink with Hyung.” Leeteuk piped up and the youngers cheered. “Hyung, you can’t let Donghae drink too much. He’ll pass out.” Heechul reminded the oldest.

 

“Don’t worry Hyungs, if he pass out I will carry him to his apartment.” Eunhyuk swored goofily, “I love you Man!” Donghae replied in english and gave Eunhyuk a hug in a brotherly manner. Both (acclaimed to be) adults hugged for quite a moment and giggled to each other like fools.

 

“Good luck dealing with those kindergartners Hyung.” Heechul patted the leader’s back as he tried to suppress his giggle, Leeteuk just rolled his eyes.

 

***

 

“I haven’t drunken with you children since... forever?” Leeteuk was not sure but it really was a very long time. “It’s true though, you are too busy with your MC-ing job.” Donghae added with his complaint. “Yah Lee Donghae! Hyung needs to keep up his good work to preserve our name in this industry. You can’t complain too much, you are the one who needs to talk more in shows. You have a lot of fans you know that, right?” Hyukjae scolded Donghae while stuffing meat into his mouth. He hadn’t realized how hungry he was until he smelled the meat cooking in front of him.

 

Leeteuk let out a laugh and placed more meat onto his dongsaengs’ plates while mumbling “You kids need to eat a lot, okay.”

 

“You too, Hyung!” Eunhyuk grinned with his gum showing.

 

“No fair! Hyung you must like him more than me because he do a lot on shows unlike me.” Donghae puffed his cheeks to show annoyance, Eunhyuk just rolled his eyes and continued eating.

 

Leeteuk could not help but laugh more. It’s not the first time he saw Donghae acting all cute and clingy but it has certainly been more frequent since he’s practically the youngest one in the group while the younger ones are away.

 

They continued eating the meat and talked. Sharing gossips (well duh yeah they do that too) and catching up to personal stories that they missed from each other.

 

When they had finished their foods and drinks, they were preparing to leave. Leeteuk went to the cashier to pay the bill, meanwhile Donghae in a slightly tipsy state headed to the car. Eunhyuk was ready to follow Donghae but he could hear a woman voice called out his name.

 

It was a woman’s voice, Hyukjae who hasn’t seen anyone for a long time was confused and a little bit scared to turn around.

 

“Ah who is it?” Donghae, who already turned around, asked which means it probably someone whom only Hyukjae knows. Hyukjae was pretty sure too that Donghae knows almost every girl friend he knows. The fact that it could be someone he previously banged really terrified him.

 

Hyukjae could not find any other way but to turn around and face whoever it was who called out his name. And once he did, he was faced by a woman whose face was familiar to him, but he couldn’t seem to remember the name.

 

“E-excuse me, do we know each other?” Hyukjae asked, very carefully, even if he wished he was wrong he knew that it was someone he’d slept with.

The woman laughed, walked closer and extended her hand for a handshake. Hyukjae was puzzled but he shook her hand anyway.

 

“My name is Jin Seo Yeon. We met over six months ago, remember?” the smile never left her face, but it terrified Hyukjae instead. He was not sure what to answer but the woman trailed on “of course you don’t. It’s okay.” She laughed again. But Hyukjae could feel nothing but awkwardness.

 

“Lee Hyukjae? Leeteuk Hyung’s done, do you want to go?” Donghae, who was used to be the anchovy’s wingman, asked loudly in order to save Hyukjae from that situation which he saw was not delightful for his friend at all.

 

Seo Yeon glanced at Donghae, she could take the hint but apparently she had more to say to Hyukjae. “You need to go. But I really want to keep in touch with you, can you give me your number? Maybe we can grab coffee sometimes.” She warmly asked, but the confusion and the anxiety on Hyukjae’s face hadn’t gone away even a bit. “well… wait a sec…”

 

She went over the cashier and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen, she wrote down something and went back to Hyukjae. “here’s my number. You can give me a call whenever you’re free for coffee.” She handed the piece of paper to Hyukjae and the man took it, “thanks, I will.” He finally mumbled.

 

“Or, if it’s easier for you, you can find me here. I’m the owner and I spent most of my days here anyway.” Seo Yeon smiled sweetly.

 

Hyukjae nodded and excused himself to finally leave with Donghae and Leeteuk.

 

 

“Hey, who is she? Do you want to talk about it?” Donghae asked in the car on the way to drop them off home,

“I’m not sure, she seems familiar but I didn’t even know her name.”

 

“That is why I keep telling you to stop messing around with girls.” Leeteuk sighed shaking his head in a slight annoyance. “I told you I haven’t been messing around for a long time. , you wouldn’t believe in me.” Hyujae’s emotional side took off due to the pressure he’s gotten in the last two hours. Leeteuk also knew better than to lecture the younger even farther.

 

When they finally reached Hyukjae’s apartment before he get off the car Donghae patted his friend’s shoulder caringly, “have a good rest, Man. It’s been a long day.”

 

Hyukjae smiled faintly, “thanks Man. Hyung, I’ll go first, okay. Bye.” Then he went up to his apartment.