favorite flower

Favorite Flower?

"Favorite flower?"

Momo stays silent as she's unable to find an answer for the odd question. As if moving to an entirely new country wasn't hard enough, the shy foreigner wasn't exactly the best at socializing.

Thankfully --or not really in her case-- one of her new classmates is also a Japanese foreigner. 

The girl came up to her abruptly while she tried taking notes. Momo's eyes darted everywhere but the girl's direction. She didn't want to make a fool of herself so quickly. It was stupid. Her eyes fell onto the paper once again as she tried ignoring the girl. That wasn't enough to keep the latter away.

She felt a gentle tap on her shoulder, causing her to look up. She was met by an adorable smiling girl; blonde hair, wide smile, and puppy-dog eyes; Momo stared back at her, slightly open.

"Hi!" The girl said vibrantly.

"Oh…" Momo shook her head, "Hey." She replied quietly. She could feel her cheeks get tainted with a soft shade of red as she suddenly felt embarrassed over her introduction.

"I'm Sana!" The girl extended her hand out.

"Momo." Momo looked at her hand and back at her. Sana slowly dropped her hand down.

"Pleasure to meet you." Sana clapped her hands together before looking for a spare chair. She sat in front of her, still smiling back at her.

Momo felt puzzled. The girl was odd, but not necessarily in the wrong way. She was optimistic, to say the least, but she also had a captivating aura to her. Momo pursed her lips awkwardly as she started working on her papers again.

The two sat silent as Sana continued to observe her quietly. Eventually, Momo's attention was caught by scratching.

"So," Sana sat up on her chair, "What's your favorite dish?" 

"Excuse me?" Momo tilted her head curiously.

"You know… favorite food!" Sana clarified.

"Ah." Momo nodded her head, "Jokbal." She went back to work.

"Ah! I've tasted it a few times… really good!" Sana said joyfully.

Momo nodded her head; lips pursed once again.

"And… favorite flower?" Sana tilted her head as she asked her question.

Momo thought about the question; she didn't have an answer. She didn't go outside that much. She didn't have any flower she liked in particular, much less one she knew the name of.

She shook her head without looking up from her sheet. She heard the girl gasp quietly from beside her.

"What! How can you not have a favorite flower!" Sana covered with her hands.

"I'm sorry…" Momo dropped her head nervously as she began to blush once again.

"Oh! No, don't be! I was just dramatic." Sana pushed her playfully. Momo turned her head, anxiously towards her. The blonde was giggling. 

"I'll help you find your favorite flower, don't worry." Sana scrunched her nose happily.

"Oh, thank you." Momo smiled shyly back at her. Sana nodded along before scooting her chair closer towards her.

That same morning, Momo had cried underneath her sheets as her mom frantically banged on the door. As if being the only new student this semester would be any help for the young twelve-year-old foreigner. It all seemed like a nightmare she simply played on a loop. But, this encounter, with the girl… it made everything seem just a little better.

They spent that school day chatting while Sana helped her out with the new language. It didn't take long before Momo noticed other students glaring her way. The reason is quite apparent too. Sana was beautiful, almost angelic in Momo's eyes. And from what she had shown Momo so far, her heart was made out of pure gold. The jealous stares made Momo uncomfortable yet again.

"What's wrong?" She felt Sana place a hand around her shoulders.

"N-Nothing." She lied.

"Oh please…" Sana frowned, "You're stuttering, and your posture dropped…"

"It's nothing. First-day nervousness." Momo lied once again.

"Oh, I see." Sana nodded along. She too understood that feeling

She had arrived two years before this girl. Though the transition wasn't hard for her. All her life, she had been a happy-go-lucky person, quickly making new friends. The language barrier didn't stop her from trying. She wanted to make sure this girl would also have a smooth transition.

"Come with me after school." She nudged the girl.

"Where?"

"Just follow me." Sana winked playfully. The girl nodded her head before giving her a lopsided grin.

Once the school day finally ended, Sana dragged the girl through the campus. They made their way to the bus station where the two stood silently as they waited for transport. Sana didn't want to spoil where they were going; she had a beautiful plan for the two. Eventually, an old bus pulled over and the two hopped on.

Momo's eyes fell on the window. She stared quietly outside as she saw the green scenery dash past her eyes. Sana placed her hand on her leg and squeezed her reassuringly.

"I promise I'll make your life here in Korea the best you've lived so far!" Sana raised her hand and put her pinky up. Momo stared at it and stared back at her.

"From this day on, you'll be my best friend!" Sana said elatedly.

"R-Really..?" Momo couldn't believe her ears.

"YEAH!" Sana smiled as she got her pinky closer to her, "promise you'll be mine as well!"

Momo smiled as she locked her pinky with hers. Sana hugged her tightly before letting her go and looking at the next station. Her eyes widened as she quickly grabbed her new friend and tugged her off the bus.

"We're here! Hurry!" She trotted faster.

"Where are we!" The dark-haired girl asked as she tried keeping up.

"Close your eyes! I'll guide you now." Sana smiled as she kept on tugging. The two ran up what felt like a hill.

Momo could feel her heart accelerate, she had never felt so thrilled before. She could hear Sana pant in front of her, but the girl showed no signs of stopping. It was a rather long walk they had before Sana stopped her once again.

"Okay at the count of three you open your eyes!" She said in between her rapid breathing. Momo nodded her head.

"One, Two, and three!"

Momo's jaw dropped as she looked around the colorful field in front of her. Sana started running down the hill where they had stopped and knelt down in front of the vibrant flowers. Momo walked down cautiously and knelt down next to her. She brought the flower up to her nose and sniffed its scent in.

"They smell good, don't they?" Sana smiled. Momo nodded along.

"Poppies! My personal favorites." Sana sat down cross-legged.

"They're pretty," Momo said as she examined the delicate orange petals in her hand.

"They really are. You're lucky we're in the blooming season." Sana looked at the magnificent orange view in front of them. "You know… I actually accidentally stumbled upon this field."

"Oh?"

"Yeah," Sana chuckled softly, "This looked similar to my stop, and I got off. Walked for a while before finding this. It's beautiful." Sana smiled. Momo noticed the girl had puffy cheeks, similar to a Shibe-inu.

"Cute story," Momo commented quietly.

"I guess." Sana smiled at her this time.

"You're clumsy, aren't you?" Momo giggled lightly.

"What makes you say that?" Sana grinned at her.

"On the way to the bus you almost fell twice, and you got off in the wrong station." Momo pointed out.

"Ah… yeah, you might have a point there." Sana admitted shyly.

The two sat silently as they watched the poppies sway with the gentle spring breeze. It took some time for Momo to ask her new friend over for dinner.

"Really? It wouldn't be a problem?" Sana tilted her head curiously.

"Mhmm." Momo nodded her head.

"Then I'd love to!" Sana threw herself onto Momo hugging her tightly.

The years went by, and the two kept their promise.

Best of Friends forever. 

"Momoring can you believe it's senior year already!" Sana gasped as she painted the girl's nails.

"Don't even remind me, I hate waking up early." Momo chuckled as she used her free hand to pick up some snacks.

The two sat in Sana's room as they had their now-famous "SaMo night." Sana had made that term up using their two names. Momo always found it extra, but the name grew into her quickly. For six-years had the two known each other now. Momo still had the lively memory of the sweet Shiba-faced girl sitting down next to her on the first of school, asking her about her favorite flower. Not much had changed in those six years; except for one thing.

Momo's feelings.

They had changed about two years into their friendship. Sana had been the only one who had made her feel comfortable since moving. The only person who she could tell absolutely anything to, cry with, eat with, laugh with. She still remembered the night her mixed feelings had become crystal clear, the day she couldn't see her best-friend the same way.

The night they kissed.

It was Halloween on their eighth-grade year. Their group of friends and they had decided to hang out instead of going out to the party that year. All nine sat in a circle in the youngest's basement, giggling in their pajamas with a bottle in the center.

"Guys are you sure this is a good idea," one of her friends asked the group.

"Yes! It's just a peck, what's wrong with that!" Sana giggled as she got comfortable in her seat.

"We're all girls, Sana." 

"Oh, please, Dahyun! Don't be a party-pooper." Sana teased the girl. All of the girls laughed as they began to quiet down to start the game.

"Alright, who's spinning first?" Their oldest friend, Nayeon, asked.

"Me!" Chaeyoung, the shortest friend, yelled. She crawled her way up to the bottle and spun it quickly. The bottle went around a few times before stopping on the silent girl sitting besides Sana.

"Ooooh, Mina!" Jeongyeon clapped eagerly.

"Uh- I can spin again, like no problem! It's all up to-"

"Rules are rules, Chaeyoung-ah." Nayeon reminded her with a smirk, "whoever the bottle lands on, you have to kiss."

"But," Chaeyoung tried debating.

"No buts." Nayeon shook her head.

Chaeyoung sighed as she crawled next to Mina. The girl was blushing more than the shorter girl. Chaeyoung crossed her legs and breathed in.

"Are you ready?" She asked the brunette.

Mina nodded. Chaeyoung closed her eyes and quickly pecked the older girl's lips, causing the rest of the group to squeal.

"How was it!" Sana asked as she shook Momo.

"She has soft lips." Mina smiled at her. Chaeyoung hid inside her shirt.

"Ah! Okay, Mina's turn!" Nayeon squealed.

Mina sighed as she spun the bottle once again; this time with it landing on Sana. Momo frowned but quickly got back to her normal posture. Sana turned to face the other Japanese girl and cupped her face. Momo couldn't help but feel envious of Mina, and she didn't understand why. Sana giggled one last time before giving the girl a quick peck.

A few rounds went by until the bottle landed on Sana's hands again. Momo had been pretty lucky. The bottle had missed her miraculously for the past rounds, until now.

Sana spun the bottle once again. Momo's eyes followed it impatiently before it landed on…

Her.

Her eyes widened as she looked at Sana. The girl was clapping happily as the rest gasped. Momo gulped as she felt her cheeks warm up.

"It finally landed on Momo!" Jihyo exclaimed.

"About time too." Nayeon teased.

"Guys shut up! Let them kiss." Chaeyoung shushed them. All of the girl's eyes fell on the two.

Sana got closer to Momo, causing the girl's heart to pump rapidly.

"Are you ready?" Sana whispered. Momo shook her head.

"Fine, at the count of three! One.. two…"

Momo couldn't help it anymore. She pushed herself onto her friend. Though, neither of them pulled away so quickly. A few seconds went by before Momo pushed herself away. Her heart felt like it was seconds away from bursting.

"Ohh damn-"Sana laughed, "I didn't know you were a good kisser Momo-Chan" She winked at her while saying this in their native tongue.

"Ew." Mina faked a gag, as she too, understood.

Momo stared at her silently. She nibbled on her bottom lip as the girl gently her fingers with a brush. Her friend's soft hands drove her heart wild as she tried ignoring these thoughts she'd developed so long ago.

"Other hand," Sana asked.

Momo obeyed her. She wanted to say something, but she didn't know what to say. She had given this friendship her all. She couldn't risk throwing it all away because of some feeling that got in the way. She'd remain silent, even if it meant never having Sana as something else.

"So you're doing my lipstick after this?" Sana asked her.

"Yeh," Momo nodded.

"Nice." Sana smiled.

After finishing the other hand, she crawled up next to Momo and rested her head on her shoulder. The two sat silently as they waited for Momo's nails to finally dry up.

"Okay, sit up, loser." Momo teased as she nudged her off.

"Aw, I was falling asleep." Sana rubbed her eyes while smirking playfully at her.

Momo sat up and went over to her bag, pulling out a small pouch. She found her favorite coral pink shade and knelt down in front of Sana again. Carefully grabbing her chin, she examined her lips. She got distracted by how plump they looked, and she remembered how soft they were. She shook her head, getting back into reality. She took the brush out from the taint and slowly started brushing them over.

"How's your crush doing, by the way." Momo tries clearing up the awkward bubble that has formed.

"Alright, I mean… He's Mark. He is always handsome." Sana chuckles.

Momo sighs as she keeps on painting the girl's lips. Sana notices the sudden shift in the girl's attitude.

"Momoring what's wrong?" She asked.

"Nothing? Don't move please-"Momo tries lying, but it's no use. Sana knows her too well.

"Please, Momo. I know you're uncomfortable because of something…" Sana pouts causing Momo to paint part of her cheek.

"Oh, -"Momo gets slightly closer and rubs the stain with her thumb. Somehow her eyes manage to betray her and dart towards Sana's eyes before dropping to her lips and then the blot again.

"Momo…" Sana's voice is getting breathy as she persists in getting the truth out of her friend. Momo simply kept on rubbing the stain tenderly. She can feel Sana's eyes looking at her.

Her eyes finally meet the blonde once again. Oh those eyes, they were like medicine for Momo. One pure gaze at them felt like all the healing she's ever needed. She can't fight the urge anymore. She's right there, centimeters from her. All she needs is to lean in ever so slightly and meet her lips again.

Sana beat her to it.

Her eyes widened as she felt the girl tenderly plant her lips on her own. She placed her hand on her neck and kissed her back almost desperately. For so long had she urged to meet those soft lips once again. What begins as chaste quickly becomes something more as she carefully starts making out with her beloved friend.

She could've gone like that forever if a notification hadn't scared them both. Sana pulled away quickly and checked her phone. Momo gulped as she realized what she had done. She stood up and dashed out of the room before Sana could stop her. She ran the whole way back to her house, tears rolling down her pale cheeks.

She hid underneath her pillow, sobbing into it. Six years she thought. Six years I just threw away. There were a million ways she felt her first day of senior year could go. Not talking to her best friend during it wasn't one.

Just like that,

She was gone.

She started hanging out with "Mark" and his friends now. Momo saw her a few times around the campus. They seemed to be getting close. She sighed as she kept on walking past them, unable to greet her former friend.

The other times she saw them together, Sana was on his lap. Momo ran into the nearest bathroom and sobbed. They had grown up together, learned together, and done so many things together. She should've felt happy over her friend's joy, but she couldn't. She wanted to be the one who held her close, she wanted to be the one that held her hand in the halls. But she wasn't. And she'd never be.

Senior year felt odd without her by her side. Without her eating everything in her fridge. Sure, she had Mark now… but it wasn't the same. She missed Momo's loud laugh, and the way she'd randomly get shy over small compliments, and the way she'd always be fixing up her bangs. Sana often spent her time thinking what changed all of that? Maybe if she hadn't kissed her… no, it couldn't be. She knew girls would kiss each other for fun sometimes, what was the difference? Maybe… just maybe, she hadn't done it for fun? Who was she trying to lie to, she knew it wasn't for fun. She still remembered her reason clearly.

She could feel Momo's eyes drop to her lips and stare at them. The brush felt nice on them, but she knew her lips would feel nicer. She still remembered that night on Halloween when the bottle landed on Momo. Her expression had been priceless. She always had known her friend wasn't straight; it was quite obvious. She was stunning, no one could deny that. She had every boy at the end of her finger, but she didn't care. She never took their compliments close to heart or wanted to talk about her crushes. It was different with girls, though, very different. Her cheeks would become cherry red whenever someone would say something nice to her. Especially if she complimented Momo.

She knew that night, Momo was staring at her lips for other reasons. She smirked before kissing her. Everything was going great until her notifications went off. Something changed that moment. Momo panicked and dashed off, leaving Sana alone. She wanted to chase after her, but she knew it was no good. Momo was an athlete, easily outrunning her. She thought everything would be alright the next day, but it wasn't. Momo didn't even look at her. Then she started dating Mark. Like she had always dreamed of, but it didn't feel correct. She didn't feel the same joy she felt as when she was around Momo. She had enough of this.

"Hello… Momo-chan?" The all too familiar voice rung on the line.

"Sana." Momo gulped as she held the phone close to her.

"Can we meet up?" Sana sighed at the other end.

"It's late," Momo reminded her.

"I know." Sana sighed again.

"Fine. Where?" Momo closed her eyes.

"The park near your house."

"Alright…"

"Alright."

Sana was already there when she arrived. She waved at her from the swing. Momo jogged to the swing next to her and sat down. The two were quiet for a while, it was expected anyways.

"It's been a long time." Sana sighed as she swayed back and forth.

"Yeah… it sure has." Momo agreed.

"I missed you," Sana admitted.

"I also did." Momo gave her a lopsided smile.

"I broke up with Mark." Sana blurted out.

"You… did?" Momo tilted her head.

"Yeah." Sana sighed, "Things didn't feel right between us two… I didn't feel like we were meant to be together after all…"

"But you liked him for so long Sana-chan," Momo whined.

"I know… but I'm not hurt. I guess I didn't like him as much as I thought I did." Sana shrugged.

The two were silent again. Momo dragged her foot on the gravel as she waited for Sana to start the conversation up again.

"What happened to us, Momo… we were so close." Sana groaned, "Was it because of that stupid kiss?"

"Sana…" Momo shook her head, "I-"

"I'm sorry I kissed you… I thought we were just playing around." Sana cupped her own face.

"That's the thing." Momo cracked her neck, "I didn't want us to be playing around?"

"Come again?" Sana looked over at her. She could see a few tears twinkle with the moonlight. She felt terrible for making Momo sad again.

"I'm gay, Sana." Momo squeezed her eyes shut.

"I knew that," Sana confessed.

"I expected you did," Momo scoffed, "but it's not only that."

"Then what was it Momo, why did you leave me?" Sana could feel her voice crack.

"I really ing like you… and I was scared that you'd find out someday and I'd ruin everything." Momo her lips before pursing them.

"Good." Sana wiped her tears off with a smile.

"Good…?" Momo looked at her.

"I realized that I've had a crush on you for a while now… that's why things didn't really work out with Mark." Sana confessed shyly.

"Wait are you being like… deadass?" Momo gasped.

"Deadass," Sana repeated.

"So I ignored you for a whole semester over nothing? God, I'm an idiot!" Momo hid inside her hoodie.

"My idiot." Sana scrunched her nose playfully.

"huh-"Momo took her hoodie off.

"Oh come on, you expect us both to confess after six years and NOT date? You're dumb." Sana giggled.

"Wait wait wait-"

"Fine, I'll make this simple for your … wanna be my girlfriend?" Sana stood up from the swing and walked over to Momo. She grabbed the girl's hands and swayed them side to side.

"Obviously! Are you kidding? I've waited like four years for this!" Momo hopped up and hugged Sana tightly.

"You don't know how happy I am right now," Momo cried onto her shoulder.

"I love you so much, Momoring." Sana held her tightly.

"I love you too, Sana." Momo pulled her head away from the embrace and kissed her. Sana couldn't fight back a smile.

"Oh, and before I forget… you never answered." Sana reminded Momo. The latter was dumbfounded onto which question.

"What haven't I answered?" Momo asked as Sana gently put her down again.

"What's your favorite flower?"