Epilogue - Making Us

The Sound Of The Heart

“Please, let me sleep on your couch.” Was how their next customer greeted Minjoo, the young woman plumping down in one of the stools in front of the counter, her head resting on the said counter as she grunted her words.

Minjoo let out a giggle, her gentle hands caressing Chaewon’s dark hair before she leaned in to leave a kiss on it. “Rough day, Chae?” She asked already knowing fully well the answer she would receive.

“Can you remind me again why I wanted to become a lawyer?” Chaewon asked, lifting her hand only enough to allow Minjoo to see the chestnut eyes she loved so much – and that were current surrounded by dark circles.

“Because you want to become a prosecutor like your mother and help people. And you’re really good at it too.” She added with a grin, her hand never leaving Chaewon’s head, keeping the calm caress on her hair. Chaewon was having a hard time, as someone who was about to graduate from law school and was working as an intern at the prosecution’s office, she had a lot on her hands and being the daughter of the head prosecutor didn’t make her life any easier. Nonetheless, it was undeniable she had a talent for it, working countless hours alongside with Jiyeon to gather all evidence and create strong cases to keep the right people behind bars. Minjoo didn’t have a doubt her girlfriend would pass the final exam and ingress as an official member of the prosecution’s office by next year.

The slightly shorter woman only grunted in reply, sinking into her seat.

The taller Kim shook her head slightly, patting Chae’s hair one more time. “Wait a minute, I’ll grab you something to eat and we can go upstairs.”

For Minjoo, life had taken a big a turn.

Nearly four years after graduation, many of her dreams had become reality, while some other changed to give place to new ones. Right now, Chaewon was napping on top of the counter of the bakery Minjoo helped her mom run, a small place filled with all sort of delicious baked goods, in a nice place neighborhood. Thanks to the fact that she could receive free treatment at the university, she could offer her mother the savings she kept during her high school years – it wasn’t much really, but her mother had her own economies and they used it to invest in a new business. An elderly couple used to run the place, and they had agreed on passing it down to Jiwon for a fair price, making it possible for the mother and daughter duo to work and pay the rent of the small building. They had left their old house to occupy the first floor of the bakery, saving them the hassle of paying two rents and having to commute every day. The first months were rough, particularly because her mother insisted on sending her to college, but Minjoo manage to stand her ground and make a deal with the older woman: she would take a year off to help with the business and focus on her treatment, and only them she would think about what career path she wished to follow and if it meant going to college, she would try her best to do it.

At the end of the first year, Minjoo had decided to pursue a high education. First with a quick course to improve her baking skills so she could contribute more to the bakery – she insisted on Jiwon accompany her and it turned out that the older woman never been happy than at classes, albeit Minjoo felt like she had more fun cooking at home.

By the time she got her certificate, her speech treatment had become more of a routine than a need. If once she thought she would never be able to speak again, now the sound of her voice was a common thing in her life, the words coming easily to her after all the sessions with her speech therapist and all her meetings with her psychologists. With two years and half of treatment, no one would be able to tell she was once the mute kid at school who couldn’t even ask for help, it was almost as if she was a new person. Maybe because she had witnessed her own personal miracle, she started to wish she could do the same for others. Her mother was ecstatic when she finally told her wish to become a psychologist and help working with children like her someday – Chaewon moms, were as excited with the news, as if Minjoo was their own kid. Minjoo was more than glad to have their support.

Now things were much better, their business was still a small one, but they were making more than enough to keep the bakery running and have a comfortable life. They had a lot of loyal clients, Chaewon and her group of moody, hungry lawyer friends included; and maybe they’d be able to expand the business soon.

She was able to help with the bakery during the day, studying during the nights – it was hard sometimes, but she was able to manage, especially now that they had hired two new attendants to work at the store.

“Wonyo, I’m taking these, okay? I’m leaving now. Yujin should be here soon to help you and mom is in the kitchen.” She informed, picking up a couple of cream buns and arranging it on a plate.

The young attendant just nodded with a smile. “No problem, boss. It’s pretty calm today.” She gestured the empty place – it was a slow day, but it could get full with people in no time, so Minjoo made sure to tell her she could call if she needed help.

Grabbing Chaewon by the arm, she convinced the woman to follow her upstairs, the younger lawyer-to-be dragging her steps as they entered the apartment. Chae just wanted to sleep, but of course Minjoo made her sit down by the table and have a bite at the delicious cream buns first, handing her a large cup of milk-chocolate. Minjoo didn’t try to make up conversation, allowing the girl to eat, as she chewed on one of the buns too.

“Thank you, I think I needed that.” Chaewon admitted after finishing her meal.

Minjoo nodded, with a knowing smile. “You know you could’ve gone home.”

Chae shook her head, letting out a small yawn. “If I had I’d sleep for the rest of the night and miss our class.”

The said class wasn’t at neither of their universities, it was at a small school at Minjoo’s old neighborhood – the place where she had been taught how to sign. They weren’t going there as students, but as teachers. The school didn’t have funds to keep teachers only for the few people interested in this particular class, so she had voluntary to help. Chaewon always accompanies her, at first only to give her some moral support, but eventually she started to help with the class and she was surprisingly good at teaching children – maybe because she knew so well how it was to depend on it to be able to communicate. “I’d understand if you didn’t go, you know.”

Chaewon just dismissed her words with a shrug. “So, can I sleep on your couch or not?”

“No.” Standing up, Minjoo grabbed a hold of Chaewon’s hands, leading the way to her room. “Let’s nap here, I don’t want your back broken tomorrow and I could use a few minutes of sleep too.”

Chae didn’t oppose, having kicked out her shoes at the apartment entrance, she only had to get rid of the black jacket she was wearing before diving into the soft bed with fluffy sheets that smelled like vanilla. She sighed happily when she felt Minjoo hugging her, the younger Kim burying her face into her back. They had cuddle countless times, yet she would never get tired of how safe and happy it made her feel, almost like the world was only her and Minjoo. Turning, she hugged the girl back, her hands hugging her back and bring her closer so she could rest against her shoulder – vanilla scent filled her senses, stronger and more pleasant than the faint scent on the sheets. Another pleased sigh left her lips as she snuggled up to Minjoo’s familiar figure.

Time hadn’t changed their love and care for each other, if only it made it stronger. They found several obstacles along the way, but as they had promised years ago, they overcome it together. Life outside the school had its own hardships, however, the bond they had formed was strong enough to never budge. Now they could tell even by the slightly change in the other’s expression, whether they were sad or worried, and they were comfortable enough to talk about it and help each other. They were like extensions of each other, as if they couldn’t be complete if the other wasn’t around – For Chaewon that once was so afraid of trusting people and letting them in, now she couldn’t picture her life without the scaredy-cat girl that had pushed her way into her heart to never leave.

“Sleep, I’ll wake you up when it’s time.” She felt a hand touching her ear with gentle fingers, removing her hearing-aid – if anyone else touched it, she would be on her feet right away and push the person, but it was Minjoo and she knew she would be safe and sound even without the device.

Being without her hearing-aid was almost like being underwater, but the feeling didn’t bother her, it made all the noise become faint and suddenly it was all so peaceful. With a lazy smile, she leaned in to leave a long peck on Minjoo’s lips. Her chest was heavy with loved and tiredness, but she still managed to smile at the most precious person in her life. “After I graduate, we should, you know, get married or something…So, I don’t have to go back home every night.” Chaewon suggested, and albeit her tone wasn’t serious, they both knew she meant her words – it would happen someday and Minjoo could only smile at her girlfriend’s groggy words.

Hugging Chae better, she left a couple of feather-like kisses on her neck, losing herself into the safe embrace that was her favorite place. “I’d love to.” She answered against her ear, leaving a kiss on the gentle curve of it.

She didn’t get a proper reply, Chaewon just nodded slowly, her breath becoming heavier as she fell asleep. Minjoo also closed her eyes, ready to visit dreamland where once all her dreams lay, but now she could only see snippets of her reality, perhaps because she didn’t need to be lost in her sleep to find happiness when she already had it on her arms – literally. Her smile grew, as she sighed happily.

Love for Chaewon and Minjoo wasn’t about simple physical attraction or first impressions, it wasn’t about teenage drama or just the need of having someone in your life. For them, it was about finding the one person that completes you, not the perfect person, but the one with who you’re able to grow and became better, the one person that can reach your heart and mend it. The one who can heal your past and save your future.

Luckily for them, they found it in each other.

 

 


 

A/N: Whoa, so we finally reached the ending! As I said a couple of times before, TSOTH is a very dear story to me and seeing how it manage to reach some of you, made it even more special. I’d like to thank everyone who supported this story, it was an amazing experience and I’m very, very glad you all gave a chance to it regardless of TWs and it not having a very common plot.

Special thanks to everyone who came up to me to talk about this story, you guys in the comments section and on twitter, it was a pleasure talking to every single one of you. Also, thank you to Charlie for bearing with me and always encouraging me to put my stories out there!

I’d promise a prequel with bonlu and the adoption process, but I’m feeling like a politician because I never get to keep my word XD So, maybe someday but idk.

For one last time, I’m really sorry for all the mistakes (thanks for bearing with my terrible english!), I do hope you guys enjoy it as much as enjoyed writing. If you want to scream at me or have any questions, feel free to hmu at twitter (@uncreativeacc) or through the comments here, I’ll love to read your thoughts.

Goodbye and thank you for reading ‘The Sound Of The Heart’.

- Angel.