Eyes - Joyri

Something About Your Body

Yerim wasn’t the type of person to stare at Sooyoung’s eyes. 

 

She may have maintained eye contact with her during conversation or checked out her eye makeup, but she’s never really “gotten lost” or “fell under a spell,” just with Joy’s eyes.  

 

Sooyoung and Yerim have known each other for about 7 years and they’ve been dating for under one. That being said, Yerim questions how she hadn’t noticed Sooyoung’s beautiful eyes until now. 

 

It’s a Monday afternoon in the middle of July. Yerim had returned from a business trip Saturday night so her boss let her have an extra day off. Sooyoung luckily got off of work early. The two decided to beat the heat by visiting the beach. 

 

If Yerim were honest, she would’ve preferred to stay at home, but since she hadn’t been to the beach in a while and her girlfriend urged to go, she couldn’t say no. Plus, Sooyoung was going to go with or without Yerim and the younger one didn’t want to be left out. 

 

When they arrived at the beach, the sound of Sooyoung’s stomach rumbling encouraged them to get some food. They went to an ice cream shop: Rainbow Sherbert. 

 

Who know Yerim would actually find gold at the end of this rainbow?

 

The two sit outside, waiting for a smoothie bowl. 

 

For a second, they both zone out. Sooyoung stares at the beach beyond her, thinking about the kiwis and strawberries she’s about to devour. 

 

Yerim… well, she was truly fighting fatigue by focusing on basically anything. She didn’t realize she was staring at her girlfriend’s lips until they started moving. Trying not to be caught, her eyes moved up and that’s when she truly found paradise. 

 

It was as if Yerim couldn’t see anything else in the world. It sounds freaking absurd, but Yeri genuinely felt like time stopped and she had just discovered the prettiest color in the world. 

 

When Yeri thought of the color brown, she thought of a normal hair color or uniform pants. Quite frankly, when she thought of the color brown, she thought of poop. 

 

She never thought the window to Joy’s soul would fall under the same category as the previously mentioned objects. 

 

Was is that Sooyoung wasn’t wearing any makeup to distract her natural eyes? Was it her clear skin? Was is her brunette hair that complimented her eyes?

 

Was it because they were at the beach? Did the blue skies brighten everything else about her? Did the sun have an effect to it? 

 

Yerim repositions herself, never breaking eye contact.

 

One shimmer on her iris proved that the sun indeed had responsibility of revealing Joy’s orbs to Yerim.

 

Oh, how she wishes the sun would never set. (But she also wishes the sun wouldn’t damage her eyes.)

 

If only she could stare into those honey-brown eyes. She wanted to swim in the light shades and rest on the dark shades. Although she thought Sooyoung’s eyes were black this entire time, she finally saw true darkness in her pupils. It wasn’t pitch black though. Yerim wanted to fall into the darkness of Sooyoung’s eyes, but she knew there was light somewhere to catch her.

 

How on earth had Yerim never noticed how beautiful Sooyoung’s eyes were until now?

 

There are many times Sooyoung tried teasing her by staring at her, but she always shied away. Yerim also loved Sooyoung’s eyesmile. How did this slip her vision?

 

“Kim Yerim.”

 

Yerim knows she should feel flustered, but she’s disappointed more than anything. 

 

“Geez, Yerim. I know you were tired, but I thought I lost you for a moment. Let’s just go home after we get our yogurt.”

 

Yerim just hums, already zoning out. 

 

Sooyoung looks away for a minute, but is worried about the silence. She turns to look again, but meets Yerim’s intense gaze. In all honesty, she’s a little creeped out.  It’s wasn’t a stare where her eyes were bulging out and piercing at her. She just wasn’t used to a hyper-fixated Yerim. Heck, she wasn’t used to Yeri staring at her for longer than 10 seconds.   

 

“What on earth are you staring at?” Sooyoung slowly turns behind her to break the eye contact and to possibly find whatever Yerim was looking at.

 

It amazes Yerim that even as Sooyoung turned around, her eyes maintained that two-toned color. She thinks she’s in for a treat because they turn darker when Sooyoung looks away from the sun, meaning Yerim gets to see difference combinations of the brown palette within Sooyoung’s eyes. 

 

Sooyoung turns back around to see her girlfriend’s stare again. This time it was softer, but the look of curiosity didn’t stop her discomfort. 

 

“Are you mad at me?”

 

Yerim, now able to provide a little more focus, made sure to shake her head because she know Sooyoung would be self-conscious over something unnecessary. 

 

“Is.. is there something on my face?”

 

She’s about to reach into her purse for a mirror, but the feeling of someone grabbing her wrist stopped her immediately. 

 

To her surprise Yerim was barely a half a foot away. She stood over the table and firmly grabbed her wrist. Yerim’s eyes were still glued to hers. 

 

She gave her a comforting smile. Her eyes now showed something more positive… almost… appreciative? Sooyoung started to feel her face burn and she knew it wasn’t from the sun. 

 

“Sorry.” Yerim starts to slowly sit back down, still holding onto Sooyoung’s wrist. “I...uh…” Yerim suddenly couldn’t find any words. After what seems like forever, Yerim bashfully looks away. Nervous laughter glides through the air. “I just… I noticed how… quite literally… how breathtaking your eyes are. I’m just trying to get used to staring in your eyes so I can do it more often.”

 

Kim Yerim was the type of girlfriend that would play pranks on you and tease you about petty stuff. She’d always put up a fight, never letting her defense down. Even though she was younger, she’d act like a reliable rock: someone who will cuddle away your stresses, someone who would help you cook, someone to keep your head straight. 

 

Kim Yerim was not the type of girlfriend that would dumbly stare at you and then sheepishly compliment you. 

 

How on earth did she gently compliment her girlfriend with such soft words, yet give her emotional whiplash at the same time?

 

Luck finally hit Sooyoung. “Order for Yerim!”

 

“I’ll get it! You’re tired!” Sooyoung stands up rather aggressively and heads to the counter.

 

The younger one smiled. She’s never seen her unnie so flustered before.

 

Now that’s she thinks about it, Sooyoung’s usually the one making her interally gay panic. It’s always been those eyes and she never noticed it. 

 

She thought it was that dumb smirk and tilted chin that were teasing her from a distance. 

 

She thought it was the way her hips moved as she walked across the room to her. 

 

She thought it was how she caressed her hand in the car after dance lessons together.

 

No, no. It wasn’t just body language. Yerim was missing the foreground itself.

 

She finally found it. 

 

Sooyoung comes back and quickly places their smoothie bowl down. “Open up,”

 

Yeri was too tired to argue, but Sooyoung nearly stuffs a spoonful into . 

 

She methodically chews, finally materializing after that experience. She didn’t notice her heart rate significantly mellowing out. As she took more bites of the fruit, her breathing evened out as well. 

 

The younger one notices her girlfriend facing perpendicular to her, not making any sort of eye contact.

 

Yeri smiles, knowing she had that affect on her. “Aw. Come on. Don’t be that way. I was just starting to get used to it.”

 

Sooyoung’s evident blush nearly covered her cheeks. “Just eat the smoothie Kim Yerim.”

 

All Yeri could do was smile. At least she finally discovered a treasure within Park Sooyoung.